or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Blu-ray & HD DVD › HD DVD Players › THE Ultimate HD-DVD receiver!! $399!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

THE Ultimate HD-DVD receiver!! $399! - Page 3

post #61 of 590
Quote:
Originally Posted by rickforrest View Post

Sorry to belabor the point, but does upconversion mean it will upconvert a 480i component signal to a 1080i component signal, or does it mean it it will upconvert a component signal to an HDMI one?

Upconversion usually means that you can "convert" your analog video inputs to HDMI (at their inherent resolutions). Upscaling would mean that those video inputs could be scaled to 720p, 1080i, or 1080p...
post #62 of 590
Here comes the inevitablely "trolling flamebait post".

I understand audio well, but you all keep referring to this reciever as the "ultimate HD-DVD reciever". I dont see any functions that do not benefit BD also, especially at this low price.

I for one, a BD owner, will be buying it, but I was wondering why it was being referred to that way.
post #63 of 590
Confirmed from the thread in the AMPs area that the 605 will pass any input (composite, s-video, component, HDMI) out the HDMI port at its source resolution. Only the 805 and 905 (with the Reon-VX processor) will upscale SD to HD.
post #64 of 590
Quote:
Originally Posted by fragglerock585 View Post

Here comes the inevitablely "trolling flamebait post".

I understand audio well, but you all keep referring to this reciever as the "ultimate HD-DVD reciever". I dont see any functions that do not benefit BD also, especially at this low price.

I for one, a BD owner, will be buying it, but I was wondering why it was being referred to that way.

This is the HD forum.

Therefore, this posting was pushed towards HD DVD owners. Onkyo also is supposed to be making an HD DVD player.

In all fairness, this probably should have gone in the forum for both.
post #65 of 590
Quote:
Originally Posted by fragglerock585 View Post

I understand audio well, but you all keep referring to this reciever as the "ultimate HD-DVD reciever". I dont see any functions that do not benefit BD also, especially at this low price.

I for one, a BD owner, will be buying it, but I was wondering why it was being referred to that way.

If this post was in the Blu-Ray section, it might very well be titled "ultimate Blu-Ray Receiver". and that would be accurate, as it's every bit as good choice for pairing with a BR player (even better, perhaps, given the lack of DTS-HD decoding ability in the players). But it's in the HD DVD section, so it got the title it did. Wasn't a dig at BR at all, just playing to the crowd.
post #66 of 590
Quote:
Originally Posted by geko29 View Post

If this post was in the Blu-Ray section, it might very well be titled "ultimate Blu-Ray Receiver". and that would be accurate, as it's every bit as good choice for pairing with a BR player (even better, perhaps, given the lack of DTS-HD decoding ability in the players). But it's in the HD DVD section, so it got the title it did. Wasn't a dig at BR at all, just playing to the crowd.


Oh, I just thought I was missing something in there. Thanks for clearing that up!
post #67 of 590
Ok, so let me get this straight. Are people on here claiming that if I have anything but the XA2(i.e. an HD-DVD player with HDMI less than 1.3) hooked up to the 605 receiver, then the following is the case?

Dolby TrueHD tracks will work because the HD-DVD player decodes them and passes the signal to the receiver.

PCM tracks(if any HD-DVDs even have them) will work because the HD-DVD player passes them through the HDMI connection to the receiver.

DTS HD-MA tracks will NOT work because the HD-DVD player has to have HDMI 1.3 to pass the signal. So you're left with the core DTS track.

Same goes for every Blu-ray player aside from the PS3.
post #68 of 590
Quote:
Originally Posted by geko29 View Post

If this post was in the Blu-Ray section, it might very well be titled "ultimate Blu-Ray Receiver". and that would be accurate, as it's every bit as good choice for pairing with a BR player (even better, perhaps, given the lack of DTS-HD decoding ability in the players). But it's in the HD DVD section, so it got the title it did. Wasn't a dig at BR at all, just playing to the crowd.

This is a great reciever that I will use for my HD-A1, but will also use for my PS3. I agree geko, in theory this could benefit my PS3 more. So yes, this benefits everyone, but maybe even more the BD people because of a lack of built in audio decoders. So now it's up to the studios to start cranking out more DTHD and DTS HD tracks.
post #69 of 590
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam_ME View Post

Ok, so let me get this straight. Are people on here claiming that if I have anything but the XA2(i.e. an HD-DVD player with HDMI less than 1.3) hooked up to the 605 receiver, then the following is the case?

Dolby TrueHD tracks will work because the HD-DVD player decodes them and passes the signal to the receiver.

PCM tracks(if any HD-DVDs even have them) will work because the HD-DVD player passes them through the HDMI connection to the receiver.

DTS HD-MA tracks will NOT work because the HD-DVD player has to have HDMI 1.3 to pass the signal. So you're left with the core DTS track.

Same goes for every Blu-ray player aside from the PS3.

So even if you buy the 605, you STILL can't decode DTS-MA if you have an A1 or A2. You need a XA2 with 1.3 in order to transmit the bitstream or else the MA track is stuck in the player. Is this right?
post #70 of 590
dangit....I just bought the 604 33 days ago! 3 freakin' days out of the return policy and this is announced.

Oh well, DTS-MA is the only big thing that intrigues me about this so i guess i'll just pray for a PS3 update.
post #71 of 590
Quote:
Originally Posted by geko29 View Post

Confirmed from the thread in the AMPs area that the 605 will pass any input (composite, s-video, component, HDMI) out the HDMI port at its source resolution. Only the 805 and 905 (with the Reon-VX processor) will upscale SD to HD.

Excellent. Are there any reviews available of pre-production models? I don't want to buy it and then have to deal with some critical flaw. Otherwise, I'll just wait until it's out and we hear from forum members.
post #72 of 590
Quote:
Originally Posted by fragglerock585 View Post

Here comes the inevitablely "trolling flamebait post".

I understand audio well, but you all keep referring to this reciever as the "ultimate HD-DVD reciever". I dont see any functions that do not benefit BD also, especially at this low price.

I for one, a BD owner, will be buying it, but I was wondering why it was being referred to that way.

If it were a flamebait post, it would have been posted in the BR forum under the same title.
Being that this is indeed the HD DVD forum, and Onkyo supports HD DVD, and promised to release recievers and players to specifically enhance HD DVD:
Quote:


Onkyo also plans to develop AV receivers to enjoy attractive and vigorous HD DVD content through a single HDMI cable that transfers video, audio and control signals.

The title is very accurate. These recievers are pretty much designed to support the standard audio available on HD DVD...TrueHD etc.
Now your post in the HD DVD forum questioning the title of this post is what can be construed as flamebating.


http://www.us.onkyo.com/news.cfm?id=2
Quote:


Today, the global environment for audio visual products has changed dramatically; large screen HDTV sales have been growing and consumer demand for the high definition content is increasing. In parallel with the expansion of digital broadcasting services, DVD has been required to provide much more data capacity and higher density, which HD DVD can fulfill.

Dolby Digital Plus, Dolby TrueHD and DTS-HD 5.1 channel audio processing formats are supported by HD DVD, which allows consumers to enjoy a high quality home theater experience. HD DVD also will offer the advanced content and features such as active menus and PinP video adopted by HD DVD.

Onkyo will introduce an HD DVD player initially in the North American market, where there is a strong demand for packaged media in high definition with the increasing large screen HDTVs market, and then plans to further expand to other markets. Onkyo also plans to develop AV receivers to enjoy attractive and vigorous HD DVD content through a single HDMI cable that transfers video, audio and control signals.

Details of the Onkyo HD DVD player for North America, including launch timing, specifications and specifics of the launch in other regions along with future AV receivers will be announced separately.
post #73 of 590
I'm all over the 605. Will have to sell my Pioneer VSX-D912K. Anyone have any idea if JR's "pre-order" price will stick after the release? Or will they jack it back up?
post #74 of 590
Yes! I'm all over this receiver, too. I've been waiting to replace my JVC RX-888V and now I've found the perfect replacement.
post #75 of 590
I have been waiting for them since CES.

If they would just release my Onkyo HD DVD player...
post #76 of 590
Mid May can't come soon enough. Will replace an old Onkyo receiver.
post #77 of 590
Quote:
Originally Posted by vurbano View Post

They would have something if it were 3 in 1 out HDMI. 2/1 sucks IMO


Then get a 705, 805, 875 or 905. You can get as many as 4 in/2 out.

Eric
post #78 of 590
Quote:
Originally Posted by dpak2005 View Post

Well it's not just the chipset, this thing has HDMI 1.3 as well, this is hardware!


It's HDMI 1.3a.
post #79 of 590
Quote:
Originally Posted by rickforrest View Post

Sorry to belabor the point, but does upconversion mean it will upconvert a 480i component signal to a 1080i component signal, or does it mean it it will upconvert a component signal to an HDMI one?

480i is de-interlaced to 480p HDMI by the Faroujda subsystem.

Eric
post #80 of 590
I'm joining the crowd of people kicking themselves. I got an Onkyo 604 for my XA2 just 6 weeks ago... too late to return to Amazon now. I guess there is always e-Bay to fall back to.
post #81 of 590
Quote:
Originally Posted by egcarter View Post

It's HDMI 1.3a.

What's the difference?
post #82 of 590
Quote:
Originally Posted by fragglerock585 View Post

I for one, a BD owner, will be buying it, but I was wondering why it was being referred to that way.

Damn... you BluBoyz are soooo touchy. Maybe it's the "Ultimate HD-DVD Receiver" because there isn't a Blu-Ray player capable of outputting TrueHD or DTS-MA.

Anyone got a picture of the back of that thing?
post #83 of 590
Quote:
Originally Posted by dpak2005 View Post

Yes you can. Your A2 can decode the TrueHD in the player, and then pass that through HDMI PCM to the receiver. Somebody correct me if I'm wrong on this. I'm assuming it can't be passed on undecoded digitally through HDMI 1.2 that the A2 has (you'd need 1.3 and an XA2 for that).

Your wrong.
post #84 of 590
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam_ME View Post

Ok, so let me get this straight. Are people on here claiming that if I have anything but the XA2(i.e. an HD-DVD player with HDMI less than 1.3) hooked up to the 605 receiver, then the following is the case?

Dolby TrueHD tracks will work because the HD-DVD player decodes them and passes the signal to the receiver.

PCM tracks(if any HD-DVDs even have them) will work because the HD-DVD player passes them through the HDMI connection to the receiver.

DTS HD-MA tracks will NOT work because the HD-DVD player has to have HDMI 1.3 to pass the signal. So you're left with the core DTS track.

Same goes for every Blu-ray player aside from the PS3.

The A1 and A2 can send those audio codecs still encoded to the reciever regardless of HDMI version, it can even be HDMI 1.1. Since the reciever is doing the decoding it doenst matter. Someone correct me if Im wrong but I am pretty sure im not. Therefore any HD DVD player + HDMI (1.1,1.2,1.3) + 605 = happy time
post #85 of 590
Quote:
Originally Posted by nharmon91 View Post

The A1 and A2 can send those audio codecs still encoded to the reciever regardless of HDMI version, it can even be HDMI 1.1. Since the reciever is doing the decoding it doenst matter. Someone correct me if Im wrong but I am pretty sure im not. Therefore any HD DVD player + HDMI (1.1,1.2,1.3) + 605 = happy time

I think you are wrong.... the A1, A2, and XA1 can output the decoded data in the form of PCM which means you are using the players decoder instead of the receivers decoder. You need 1.3 to send the undecoded codec to the receiver for the receiver to decode. The assumption here from past history and experience with Dolby and DTS codecs is that allowing the receiver to decode the audio instead of the player results in better audio quality and a more pristine decode.

Also, there's been a pretty good discussion already going about these technical questions in the Amps/Receivers/Processors forum:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...php?p=10264233

Also of note: The TX-SR875 and TX-NR905 will feature the ReonVX chip for it's video conversion. This is the same chip in the XA2 that outperforms high end standalone video processors in many tests. It may be worth the extra cost for this chip instead of the Faroudja. Especially if you plan to use the receiver as a video/audio hub.
post #86 of 590
Quote:
Originally Posted by WirelessGuru View Post

You need 1.3 to send the undecoded codec to the receiver for the receiver to decode.
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...php?p=10264233

Are you sure? That sounds pretty stupid if true, I mean its still encoded why do you need 1.3?.
post #87 of 590
Wireless, isn't that thread just referring to the PS3?
post #88 of 590
Quote:
Originally Posted by nharmon91 View Post

Are you sure? That sounds pretty stupid if true, I mean its still encoded why do you need 1.3?.

I am not any more of an expert than you are. Just absorbing what I have seen from some others who generally have some good knowledge in the area. So to answer your question, no, I am not 100% sure.

Alas... even if you have an HD-DVD player that doesn't have 1.3a or beyond, you still can benefit from this receiver. It will matrix to 6.1 or 7.1 if you are stuck listening to 5.1 through analogs now. And it will have the features to stay with you for a very long time. Just because your player doesn't have HDMI 1.3, doesn't mean one you may buy in the future wont. Remember... HD audio and video is still in it's infancy. One day ALL HD will be just like SD is with the players outputting the decode and the receiver decoding and applying effects to it and we will all have long forgotten the short period of time when receivers were behind the players.... and then the players were behind the receivers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scoob View Post

Wireless, isn't that thread just referring to the PS3?

There's some PS3 discussion at the end of it... but the technical aspects can apply just the same.
post #89 of 590
I figured I had better quote a source rather than soliciting my own unprofessional idea on how things work. Check out this article for all you ever would want to know about HDMI and more:
http://www.hdtvmagazine.com/articles...i_versions.php
http://www.hdtvmagazine.com/articles...-channel_a.php

Basically what is stated in the article pertaining to our discussion here is this:
An HDMI 1.3 link is required for transport of the (raw) coded bitstream -> Wikipedia
post #90 of 590
So anywho here is a preorder for those who want to get one:

Onkyo PreOrder
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: HD DVD Players
AVS › AVS Forum › Blu-ray & HD DVD › HD DVD Players › THE Ultimate HD-DVD receiver!! $399!