or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Home Entertainment & Theater Builder › Dedicated Theater Design & Construction › The "I hope this works" Home Theater
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The "I hope this works" Home Theater - Page 4

post #91 of 350
Quote:
Originally Posted by yaj123 View Post

That reminds me I have to make an appointment to get snipped. If I ever want to finish this basement I am going to have to make sure no new kids are made.

Just think about baseball!
post #92 of 350
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by mn_hokie View Post

Just think about baseball!

I tend to think about humping (pun intended) 5/8" sheets of drywall down the stairs. That usually does the trick!
post #93 of 350
Thread Starter 
So I messed around a little bit with Google SketchUp. Basically deep red walls with wood panel containing sconces (FPO sconces -For Placement Only) and a black screen wall.

The black mass to the right is actually the double doors to the exercise room (which I painted this weekend). The boxed area to the left of the bar stools (also known as the cheap seats) is the equipment cabinet.
View from the forementioned cheap seats.

Little overhead view.

Should turn out fairly close to this. I may actually have more room between the bar and the equipment closet. As you can see right now the bar runs right along the cabinet to the wall. I think the bar will probably be a tad closer to the front, allowing for more bar stools and an access panel to the back of the cabinet.
post #94 of 350
Thread Starter 
Going to start painting the ceiling black this week. Got Tricorn Black from Sherman Williams so that should be black as can be.
post #95 of 350
hey Jay, How high off the floor is the bottom of your screen going to be? Also, any idea how high the riser will be?
post #96 of 350
This project is really looking good I know you cant wait to see the finish and I am looking forward to the pics as well very nice...excellent workmanship and yes 5/8 rock truly bites...
post #97 of 350
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by biz64 View Post

hey Jay, How high off the floor is the bottom of your screen going to be? Also, any idea how high the riser will be?

I believe it is going to be 33". At least that is what I put in for my riser calculator. That made my riser 10 1/16" high. I am going to make it out of 2 x10 and 3/4" plywood so it should be pretty darn close.
post #98 of 350
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by sawzalot View Post

This project is really looking good I know you cant wait to see the finish and I am looking forward to the pics as well very nice...excellent workmanship and yes 5/8 rock truly bites...

Thanks. Hopefully it will look as good as I envision it in my head!
post #99 of 350
Quote:
Originally Posted by yaj123 View Post

Thanks. Hopefully it will look as good as I envision it in my head!

Hows the project coming along any new pics,just trolling along checking for updates on some builds,keep us posted....
post #100 of 350
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by sawzalot View Post

Hows the project coming along any new pics,just trolling along checking for updates on some builds,keep us posted....

Things have slowed a bit. Started to struggle with my riser design, since it is butting up to my proposed equipment cabinet. I want to build a door on the side so that I can access the back of the equipment rack. I also realized I never planned an electrical outlet in my riser (I have since decided on power recline) so I will have to pull from an exisiting outlet. I think I may be ok. Next weekend I start the equipment rack and riser build. I am spending today re-working all the numbers since I think my google sketch-up my be off a bit. I believe I actually have more space than it looks. I did paint the workout room and I am ordering the rubber flooring tomorrow. I also painted the HT ceiling black. I'll post some pictures a little later today of my awesome painting skills. Thanks for the interest!
post #101 of 350
Thread Starter 
Did a little bit of painting last week. Stopped by my local Sherman Williams store (just opened), got some paint and started painting the workout room and HT ceiling. I really hate painting but it wasn't too bad.

Crazy color "Carnival" actually wasn't the color I was expecting it to be. Didn't think it would be sooooooo orange looking. I really don't hate it and it is starting to grow on me.



I have to pull everything out of the workout room this week so that I can start cleaning the floor to prep it for the rubber flooring I am ordering. Too bad I can't use my tax refund this year to pay for it....why you ask???...cuz I owe! I can't believe it.

One coat of grey primer and some Tricorn Black and the ceiling looks great. It is so dark it disappears!
Above the pool table....


In the HT area...

post #102 of 350
Thread Starter 
Yesterday I decided to forgo Sketch-up for a while in order to use old school pencil and paper to layout my riser. Major problem is whether I can or cannot fit 105"w 090 Berlines in my room on my riser. Riser will probably be 120"w from the wall. If I go with the 090's my seating will be a little off center and I will only be leaving 28" between the right wall/workout door, and the riser. Not sure if that is enough. I could go with Berkline 13175's at 93.25" and save a bunch of room, but I am not sure I like them. Guess I will have to sit in them first. I also figured I can run 4 bar stools behind the bar (using the 28" center of seat to center of seat industry guide for bar stool seating) which is great and I can still access my equipment cabinet.

Here are my cheesy layouts. Notice that I actually made 3-seat Berklines so that I could check spacing? This is to scale with 1 square = 4". I'll scan them in later so you can get a better look.






How embarrassing....
post #103 of 350
I like that color in the gym I used the same in my utility/laundry area and a powder room its a crazy color but it just makes me smile,and your ceiling looks like it would dissapear its looking good keep the faith your getting there..
post #104 of 350
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by sawzalot View Post

I like that color in the gym I used the same in my utility/laundry area and a powder room its a crazy color but it just makes me smile,and your ceiling looks like it would dissapear its looking good keep the faith your getting there..

This is why I suck. You are nice enough to comment and I, being the idiot, don't respond for 2 weeks. Sorry about that!

At first I wasn't sure I liked the color but now I really do. It has really grown on me the last few weeks. I am really happy with how the ceiling turned out. Now if I can just find some time to get this thing finished.
post #105 of 350
Thread Starter 
Finally started the riser. I decided to go with one 10'l x 7'w. I decided to start it against the left wall since few people will be walking along that side. I can also put 3 wider chairs instead of maybe a thinner chair like the 13175 Berklines. Not sure what I am doing yet for chairs so I want to be covered.


Found out I had made a pretty big mistake when I never planned on electrical for my riser. I guess the reason for this was that I never planned on getting power recline chairs. Since I am now going power I had to figure it out. I put in a plug for the front row and I will have a plug against the bar back for the second row.


Here is where the back plug will go. Still need to cover my bar with wood facing and stain it before granite


Good news is that I can pull power from a plug at the end of a run nearby. I will probably just run some of that awful conduit that runs along the wall, the kind you use when installing a ceilng light in a room but don't want to fish electrical through the walls. It will be mostly hidden by the equipment cabinet and bar stools so I really don't care. I just don't want to cut open the walls that I spent 6 months finishing. Maybe I will fish it through the wall, who knows.


One interesting thing you probably can't tell from the picture...this bad boy will be covered in reclaimed wood. Actually it is just left over plywood scraps I had laying around.


Next on the list....equipment cabinet.
post #106 of 350
Jay, is that PT lumber for the riser?
post #107 of 350
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by biz64 View Post

Jay, is that PT lumber for the riser?

No. You probably can't see from the photos but I put down the pink sill insulation down first. Basement is really dry and honestly didn't want to spend the cash on PT.
post #108 of 350
yeah I see the pink stuff. I was thinking of doing the same thing myself which is why I asked. Same thing for the stage I assume?
post #109 of 350
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by biz64 View Post

yeah I see the pink stuff. I was thinking of doing the same thing myself which is why I asked. Same thing for the stage I assume?

Stage is the same. For my walls and bar I did PT but riser and stage are both free floating and not attached to anything so if I ever had to tear them up and rebuild it wouldn't be a big deal. As long as my basement never floods I am good. I hope I didn't just jinx myself.
post #110 of 350
Caught you link in your Logan plea. Another 3ed row bar design. Check out my build with my signature link.

By the way... thanks a lot. Just had gall bladder surgery yesterday and your humping drywall quote had me laughing out loud.... WHICH HURT LIKE HELL.

When considering seating, think about one love seat. I have six chairs 2 front and 4 rear with one love seat configuration. Then If I put two of the two armed chairs together I can have two love seats. Not the same for two rows of three but having multiple of each chair type (some with two arms, some with a right and some with a left) allows you to swap them around to spread wear amonst all chairs.

I was trying to arrange a snip job myself... wait, that doesn't sound right...

I was trying to schedule at the same time as my gall bladder removal so I didn't need to be awake but I couldn't get two surgeons to work their schedules out.
post #111 of 350
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by RPh Drew View Post

Caught you link in your Logan plea. Another 3ed row bar design. Check out my build with my signature link.

By the way... thanks a lot. Just had gall bladder surgery yesterday and your humping drywall quote had me laughing out loud.... WHICH HURT LIKE HELL.

When considering seating, think about one love seat. I have six chairs 2 front and 4 rear with one love seat configuration. Then If I put two of the two armed chairs together I can have two love seats. Not the same for two rows of three but having multiple of each chair type (some with two arms, some with a right and some with a left) allows you to swap them around to spread wear amonst all chairs.

I was trying to arrange a snip job myself... wait, that doesn't sound right...

I was trying to schedule at the same time as my gall bladder removal so I didn't need to be awake but I couldn't get two surgeons to work their schedules out.

Drywall was a never ending project. I saved $3,000 but it set me back 9 months! Hope the gall bladder (or lack there of) is feeling better.

I never thought about the loveseat idea. I will check that out and see if it will work. Your riser/bar was one of my inspirations. I almost forgot electrical, and totally forgot some Cat5 as a just in case. I thought about adding the extra supports like you did but I wanted to make sure I can get 4 chairs back there. I think I will go with cobells(?) instead for support.
post #112 of 350
Thread Starter 
Didn't get much time to work on the Riser this weekend but I got something accomplished so that is a start. How come my build always looks like a bomb went off?????


Covered the bar in blond hardwood. Getting ready for stain. Also finished the electrical so all set there.


Back of Bar


You can't tell from here but I was able to finish covering my riser with left over plywood so I saved some dough. Yeah me.

Oh I forgot, that money I saved on plywood I spend on stain samples.


These are samples without using wood conditioner (which I should really use) so they will look more even when I do the actual stain. Right now I am heavily leaning towards #2.

#1 Cabot Red Mahogany


#2 Cabot Cherry


#3 Minwax Red Mahogany (Why is this SO different from the Cabot brand?)


Anybody have a favorite?
post #113 of 350
Thread Starter 
Got a call from the exercise room flooring guy. My 3/8" rubber flooring is in and they are going to try and deliver Friday. Just to be clear this is what my room currently looks like...



I have to get everything out and find a spot for it somewhere else in the basement. Then I have to scrub the floor clean. I sense the next two nights are going to be late ones! I was really hoping to take my time getting it cleaned out. No such luck.
post #114 of 350
Thread Starter 
Almost forgot, my tickets for the Final Four arrived the other day! I officially won't be working that weekend (ok maybe I might squeeze something in on that Sunday). Detroit looks so much better as a hologram!


Since my brackets are already trashed I should just go downtown and try to hawk them for cabinets for my bar.
Buyer - "What you asking?"
Suave Seller -"Uppers and Lowers"
Buyer - "Will you take Oak?"
Suave Seller - "Cherry or nothing."
Buyer - "Cherry it is. You got room in your trunk?"

Just like that I have new bar cabinets. I have a feeling it may not work that way.....
post #115 of 350
Thread Starter 
Finally moved everything out of the workout room since the flooring is coming tomorrow. I swept and vacuumed it out for two hours. It was a disaster as I probably hadn't moved a thing in that room in 2 years. Oh sure I make the attempt every once in a while to pump some iron but it usually ends with me yelling for help to get the bar off my chest. With a new floor I'll be a new man...I promise!

If only everything else in the basement was this clean...




One of these days I might even put a ceiling in.
post #116 of 350
Quote:
Originally Posted by yaj123 View Post

Finally moved everything out of the workout room since the flooring is coming tomorrow. I swept and vacuumed it out for two hours. It was a disaster as I probably hadn't moved a thing in that room in 2 years. Oh sure I make the attempt every once in a while to pump some iron but it usually ends with me yelling for help to get the bar off my chest. With a new floor I'll be a new man...I promise!

If only everything else in the basement was this clean...




One of these days I might even put a ceiling in.

Cover everything and spray it black. It'll look just like a gym. I'm impressed that you OWN a hack machine. nice.


I used that minwax red mahogany on my stuff in my den. I like it, but I also mixed it with some expresso or something they had half and half to make it darker.
post #117 of 350
I would throw some poly over your stain choices as that really changes the look.

I agree I like stain color #2 also

post #118 of 350
I'm a fan of three...but maybe not for red walls - I just like the stain color. I'm more a fan of red and black than with wood so I don't know if I can put a vote in on it.
post #119 of 350
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by mapitc0 View Post

Cover everything and spray it black. It'll look just like a gym. I'm impressed that you OWN a hack machine. nice.


I used that minwax red mahogany on my stuff in my den. I like it, but I also mixed it with some expresso or something they had half and half to make it darker.

Just because I own it doesn't mean I use it! My legs look like two pixie sticks. Man I have to do something. I was really dissappointed with the minwax stuff. Not that it is a bad product I just didn't feel the red in the mahogany was very strong.
post #120 of 350
Thread Starter 
[quote=W00lly;16133904]I would throw some poly over your stain choices as that really changes the look.

I agree I like stain color #2 also

QUOTE]

Good suggestion W00lly. I am going to run out tomorrow morning and get some wood conditioner and poly and test again. #2 just seems to be more the look I am going for.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
AVS › AVS Forum › Home Entertainment & Theater Builder › Dedicated Theater Design & Construction › The "I hope this works" Home Theater