or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › HDTV › HDTV Programming › 'LOST' on ABC HD
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

'LOST' on ABC HD

post #1 of 21026
Thread Starter 
This is a continuation of the old LOST thread located here:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=449662

This is still a "NO SPOILERS" thread meaning only discussion of the show and the previews immediately following the show can be discussed and only after they air on the East Coast.

If you want to avoid spoilers, avoid this thread until you have seen the most recently aired episode.

If you want to post a spoiler (or something that you think might be a spoiler), or discuss spoilers, you can do so in the LOST - Spoilers thread located here:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=517981


Warning: No spoiler tags are used in the spoiler thread since it is "all spoilers".
post #2 of 21026
To continue Vision's thought.....

Mrs. Claus is already on the island....perhaps that sound really was Santa's sleigh hitting the water. So who becomes the new St. Nick, Benry or Jack?
post #3 of 21026
I would like to observe a moment of silence for the old long thread. I was becoming very fond of it.
.
.
.
...

- Tom
post #4 of 21026
Why did you have to start a new thread? The Hot Off the Press thread has about 2,500 more articles and 7,000 more views and it's still going strong!
post #5 of 21026
Whoa, what's just happened?? I'm feeling a little disoriented, kind of like I wandered into the wrong room at the motel. It looks the same, but it's.... different.

CP, is there really a size limit on threads? Will fred's HOTP thread soon be forced to share the same fate as the original LOST thread, cut off in its prime? What about the fabled "Time Machine" thread in the DVD Forum? Is nothing sacred at AVS anymore??

I feel..... betrayed. Kind of like Jack's going to feel when he finds out Juliet has played him. See, I'm trying to get back into it..... but this is hard, man. I don't feel right about leaving the original LOST thread behind. It's going to take awhile to get over this...

Couldn't we at least have finished out the season? At least then we would have been distracted by new shiny moving things on our HDTV's. You could have snuck it by us and we never would have noticed. But now....

You raped my adulthood, man.
post #6 of 21026
Quote:
Originally Posted by trbarry View Post

I would like to observe a moment of silence for the old long thread. I was becoming very fond of it.

We hardly knew ye....*sniff*
post #7 of 21026
post #8 of 21026
Quote:
Originally Posted by archiguy View Post

Whoa, what's just happened?? I'm feeling a little disoriented, kind of like I wandered into the wrong room at the motel. It looks the same, but it's.... different.

Yeah, I'm with you on that, Arch. Although I'm a long-time AVS member, I've only started hanging out here recently. Seems like a decent bunch of guys, with some of the most off-the-wall theories you'll ever run into outside of an asylum (or maybe the White House).

But NOW, now it feels so cheap and tawdry, kind of like we've been seduced and abandoned, and are walking around with Sun's fetus in our belly, just waiting to kill us. (dramatic music crescendo building in the background).

What was it? Too many pages of posts because this show was threatening to actually begin to get interesting again? Pressure from the nefarious Lost creators because some of the absolutely insane guesses were getting just a little too close for their comfort? I mean its not like this thread wasn't going to die for several months by the end of May, anyway?

C'mon spill, CP! Did it have anything to do with that big screen display that was recently delivered to your home, preset to only receive ABC-HD signals? The truth is out there! (oops, wrong show)

Okay, all that aside, I once started what turned into a really big thread at AVS, and it does get seriously unwieldly for search purposes once you get over 400 or 500 pages, so I can understand, but still

Quote:


I don't feel right about leaving the original LOST thread behind. It's going to take awhile to get over this...

Oh, please. As the old joke goes, we've established what you are, we're merely haggling over the price.

_________________________________________________
Palladin

Chance favors the prepared mind
post #9 of 21026
I sense the work of the others here. Can anybody verify that in this reality the numbers still end in 48?

- Tom
post #10 of 21026
Quote:
Originally Posted by archiguy View Post

CP, is there really a size limit on threads? Will fred's HOTP thread soon be forced to share the same fate as the original LOST thread, cut off in its prime?

It has to. Otherwise, the below statement is false and something else is at play.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CPanther95 View Post

this thread has reached the limit of what can be handled effectively by the forum.
post #11 of 21026
I think it has something to do with database server loading all the searchable posts in a long thread, a few months backs our local Comcast thread with over 15,000 posts and over 700,000 views was closed and re-started. Four or five other local threads with posts totaling over 100,000 and several million views were also closed the same day.

The odd thing is that they are still loading with the current sever as they haven't been archived yet. Although, several years worth of posts in the threads became unsearchable quite awhile back.
post #12 of 21026
Just a useless question/observation here: The island is quite big, days to travel. Assuming the terrain is so rough it slows people down to a crawl, the Island seems to be anywhere from 20+ miles across (at the smallest) to maybe in excess of 50 miles in diameter. Does such a thing even exist anymore? A lush tropical island that is miles wide and uninhabited? I'm guessing anything bigger than a mile across would have been discovered and turned into a resort area by now.
post #13 of 21026
Here's to another lively thread.

-cheers and pours out a little for my homie (LOST thread #1)

Now, will someone post a pic of a scantily clad Kate in order to get this party started?
post #14 of 21026
Thread Starter 
Yes, the HOTP and LOST threads were specifically mentioned. Fred and I are working on the replacement HOTP thread right now.

I'll miss the old thread as well. Unlike other shows that start a new thread each season, LOST had a lot of value in retaining all those original thoughts and theories within the same thread. Probably because the original questions have yet to be answered 2+ seasons later.
post #15 of 21026
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by keenan View Post

I think it has something to do with database server loading all the searchable posts in a long thread, a few months backs our local Comcast thread with over 15,000 posts and over 700,000 views was closed and re-started. Four or five other local threads with posts totaling over 100,000 and several million views were also closed the same day.


At that time, LOST and HOTP were also considered for closing but we bought a temporary reprieve. We probably could have stretched LOST for the remainder of this season, but since its replacement was inevitable, I figured it would be better to establish a base of posts in the new thread while the show was still going strong. Better for it to carry over the summer (and hopefully fall).
post #16 of 21026
Quote:
Originally Posted by archiguy View Post

Whoa, what's just happened?? I'm feeling a little disoriented, kind of like I wandered into the wrong room at the motel. It looks the same, but it's.... different.

CP, is there really a size limit on threads? Will fred's HOTP thread soon be forced to share the same fate as the original LOST thread, cut off in its prime? What about the fabled "Time Machine" thread in the DVD Forum? Is nothing sacred at AVS anymore??

I feel..... betrayed. Kind of like Jack's going to feel when he finds out Juliet has played him. See, I'm trying to get back into it..... but this is hard, man. I don't feel right about leaving the original LOST thread behind. It's going to take awhile to get over this...

Couldn't we at least have finished out the season? At least then we would have been distracted by new shiny moving things on our HDTV's. You could have snuck it by us and we never would have noticed. But now....

You raped my adulthood, man.

I think you should be given the honor of posting the first suggestion in this new thread that the monster is actually nanobots. [I still think it is!!!]
post #17 of 21026
Quote:
Originally Posted by rezzy in the Big thread View Post

Yes, I do believe archiguy was the first on this forum to interject the 'nano-theory' (take a little bow, son) to explain the 'monster', but I suggested last season that Smokey gets inhaled or emits an intoxicant/hallucinogen. Though I have to admit I've not yet read Prey.

.
post #18 of 21026
Well, since it was the original thread that got me tuning in the second episode with all the raves after the premier, let me say something useless here to get on the first page of this new, if not improved, thread.

Will Juliet yet turn out to be a triple agent? Unlikely, but there is a cliffhanger coming next month, so maybe...
post #19 of 21026
Feeling a little nostalgic I had to go back and read my first post, #71 of THE ORIGINAL LOST THREAD. Rereading it now I have to say I still feel pretty much the same way I did back then after just the pilot ep:

Quote:
Originally Posted by R11 View Post


Quote: Originally posted by dg28
"Wow... a great show. The sound was DEFINITELY movie-like. Certainly if your ABC affiliate is not passing DD5.1 you are missing quite a bit. This show was made for high definition."


And it looks like it was even framed for 16x9 too. This show would just not be the same in SD. I thought it was awesome.

I can't believe the "this show can't maintain for long" comments. Come on people! How many cop/medical/forensic dramas can you take? At least this is a bit off the far too well worn path. The production values were great. The look and sound were simply sweet. The writing was not terrible. It will most likely require a bit of latitude in the "willing suspension of disbelief" dept, but geez, it's escapist fantasy/adventure. Who cares how long it lasts? Sit back and enjoy it while it does. It was about the most feature film-like thing I've seen on TV yet so lets just hope that they didn't blow the wad on the opening two part pilot and it stays looking/sounding/feeling the same as it goes forward.

I think the bass player (Merry not Pippen unless my eye deceived me) is simply getting stoned and they are using that as a red herring. ***SPOILER ALERT*** Notice the handcuffs they find in the next installment? Supposedly there was a prisoner on board the plane (I'm thinking maybe the crazy looking old guy, he looked happy to be outside in the rain, reaching to the sky). Perhaps he had something to do with the crash, or not... I do know one thing for sure, I'll definitely be tuning in next week!

Here's to hoping I'll still be feeling that same way once the show comes to a end in another couple years!



ron
post #20 of 21026
Quote:
Originally Posted by sbddvm View Post

Now, will someone post a pic of a scantily clad Kate in order to get this party started?






Are you satiated now?


.
post #21 of 21026
Quote:
Originally Posted by BKMaggert View Post

Are you satiated now?

Not me by a long shot --- you just whet my appetite!!!

Satiated, no...salivating, yes!
post #22 of 21026
Quote:
Originally Posted by BKMaggert View Post

Are you satiated now?

This one's better.



post #23 of 21026
Quote:
Originally Posted by CPanther95 View Post

This is a continuation of the old LOST thread located here:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=449662


WOW....page 1....moment of silence for the old thread....
post #24 of 21026
Thread Starter 
I'm determined not to be the post count leader in this one - so please mind the spoilers and we can avoid 3000 posts defining them.
post #25 of 21026
Quote:
Originally Posted by rezzy View Post

To continue Vision's thought.....

Mrs. Claus is already on the island....perhaps that sound really was Santa's sleigh hitting the water. So who becomes the new St. Nick, Benry or Jack?

that also means up to 10 really confused reindeer could also be prowling the jungle.
post #26 of 21026
Quote:
Originally Posted by VisionOn View Post

that also means up to 10 really confused reindeer could also be prowling the jungle.

Or maybe Santa's sleigh is really pulled by a couple of boar, sharks, polar bear and black horses !!
post #27 of 21026
Quote:
Originally Posted by raaj View Post

Or maybe Santa's sleigh is really pulled by a couple of boar, sharks, polar bear and black horses !!

...and a parrot that says "Hurley" in a pear tree......
post #28 of 21026
Quote:
Originally Posted by NetworkTV View Post

...and a parrot that says "Hurley" in a pear tree......

Ah right !! But was that a Parrot or a Parakeet or a falcon/eagle/albatross?
post #29 of 21026
Quote:
Originally Posted by CPanther95 View Post

I'm determined not to be the post count leader in this one - so please mind the spoilers and we can avoid 3000 posts defining them.

Ah, come on, that was part of the mystique of the thread, the character..
post #30 of 21026
Quote:
Originally Posted by cavalierlwt View Post

Just a useless question/observation here: The island is quite big, days to travel. Assuming the terrain is so rough it slows people down to a crawl, the Island seems to be anywhere from 20+ miles across (at the smallest) to maybe in excess of 50 miles in diameter. Does such a thing even exist anymore? A lush tropical island that is miles wide and uninhabited? I'm guessing anything bigger than a mile across would have been discovered and turned into a resort area by now.

I was wondering the same thing, surely an island this big should have been noticed from orbit, and with a bird looking down at it, it shouldn't be too difficult to reach---but hey, maybe it's invisible

did I make page one?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: HDTV Programming
AVS › AVS Forum › HDTV › HDTV Programming › 'LOST' on ABC HD