In response to questions about the framing of my theater entrance I dug up some photos of its construction.
This photo shows the basic framing of the entrance.
A different angle so you can see the circular plywood cutouts that I used to establish the desired shape and scale.
Backside, or inside, view of the framing.
The curves are getting wrapped with 1/8" Masonite strips. The left column shows the 1/4 circle column fully wrapped while the right hand column has been cutout for glass blocks.
A detail of the upper curves.
I had prepared a shelf and cutout that was revealed after securing all the Masonite and stapling the edges. Testing the final dimensions to ensure the glass blocks will fit. Glass block dimensions are non-negotiable.
The entire structure was covered with two additional layers of 1/4" bending drywall and bull-nose corners. Or at least that was the plan. The drywall crew showed up without it though. Long story, but their final workmanship was just awful. I resorted to finishing the drywall myself. The best trick I conjured up was to use a heat gun to bend various plastic drywall taping knives to fit the curves and apply the drywall mud. Worked like a charm.
The baseboard is a foamed poly material that bends to follow curves.
I matched some red paint to the vinyl-covered doors. By the way, use a dark grey primer underneath red paint. Red paint doesn't cover even with three coats.
The handles are from an architectural tear down in NYC. They date from somewhere from the 1930's-50's.
The porthole windows are round wood frames purchased from cronescustomwoodworking.com
. I used smoked mirrored plastic for the windows so light wouldn't get into the theater.