or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers › vtf3 mk3 came today wow it's a monster (pics)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

vtf3 mk3 came today wow it's a monster (pics) - Page 4

post #91 of 137
Quote:
Originally Posted by thehun View Post

That's not peak output but calibration level using test tones that lowered 20-30db from reference.


well usually tones are -20 or -10. still he should only have been at ~100 during a massive explosion.... (which should be at 0 db) this still should have left him 10-20 db...depending on which mode he is running
post #92 of 137
Quote:
Originally Posted by CupCak3 View Post

well usually tones are -20 or -10. still he should only have been at ~100 during a massive explosion.... (which should be at 0 db) this still should have left him 10-20 db...depending on which mode he is running

That's because you're assuming that a given sub's output remains linear under stress especially at the lowest octaves. The so called "flat to" XXhz usually measured at low outputs like 80-85db, when you push the same driver to beyond 100db it quickly reaches it's limit and dynamic compression shows up, along with massive amount of distorsion. [the turbo is aimed to deal with this, but it has limits as well] If you find yourself raising the sub's volume well above the rest, it is a sign that you need more "woofage". Believe me I've been there.
post #93 of 137
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathesar View Post

Any chance you could take some pics of the inside of the sub box when you switch the drivers out? Im curious what it looks like
i finally got it in. and yes it's working fine.

Hopefully the new driver solves your issues.




post #94 of 137
neat
post #95 of 137
Solution: Don't put your ear closer than 3' from the speaker....cracking is gone!

Hope this helps!
post #96 of 137
Wow very interesting design , Thanks for posting the pics!

So did the new driver fix the crackling?
post #97 of 137
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathesar View Post

Wow very interesting design , Thanks for posting the pics!

So did the new driver fix the crackling?

Yes, it did. but i have'nt tried it w/ the turbo yet. it works perfect now without it. maybe i don't need it after all.
post #98 of 137
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by getech View Post

Solution: Don't put your ear closer than 3' from the speaker....cracking is gone!

Hope this helps!

thats how i felt at first too, then it began to get worse. i knew that something was wrong. now it seems to be good.
post #99 of 137
lvisneau,
I'm glad to hear you've got everything working better now. Let us know what you think of the turbo. My dual VTF3 MK3's arrived yesterday!
post #100 of 137
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingrsl View Post

lvisneau,
I'm glad to hear you've got everything working better now. Let us know what you think of the turbo. My dual VTF3 MK3's arrived yesterday!

wow! 2 would be awsome! try testing them w/ chapter 14 from smokin aces and let me know what you think. i can leave my bass shakers off now. oh. and i'll try it w/ the turbo on later today.
post #101 of 137
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingrsl View Post

lvisneau,
I'm glad to hear you've got everything working better now. Let us know what you think of the turbo. My dual VTF3 MK3's arrived yesterday!

I tried w/ the turbo, and for me it just souds better without. a little stronger and more vibrations that move the seats and me. (i like it like that). kinda like the shakers but better.i'll probably send the turbo back w/ the old driver.
post #102 of 137
I'm still experimenting with placements but I have to agree with you so far, lvisneau. The subs just sound better w/o the turbo. I'll be sending them back soon.
post #103 of 137
I'm surprised on the comments about the turbo. I'd say for most music and the typical bassy movie (Smokin Aces), running the sub on max output works wonderfully. But for the extremely visceral, bass crushing movies like WOTW, JP3, and Pulse, the turbo plays those soundtracks with much more authority while still producing a very clean sound. For the extra $99, I'm keeping it for the true bass heavy movies, particularly the Matrix HD set coming out soon. But I'm definitely going to experiment more without the turbo. If it's noticably better without it, I might just store the turbo away for select movies.
post #104 of 137
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by nonametofame View Post

I'm surprised on the comments about the turbo. I'd say for most music and the typical bassy movie (Smokin Aces), running the sub on max output works wonderfully. But for the extremely visceral, bass crushing movies like WOTW, JP3, and Pulse, the turbo plays those soundtracks with much more authority while still producing a very clean sound. For the extra $99, I'm keeping it for the true bass heavy movies, particularly the Matrix HD set coming out soon. But I'm definitely going to experiment more without the turbo. If it's noticably better without it, I might just store the turbo away for select movies.

i'll do some more listening today. I'm thinkin that i could turn up the sub volume w/ the turbo on to get the best of both worlds. would that be overdriving it too much? or am i on the right track? HMMMMM this testing stuff is kinda fun. i gotta watch it though, my ears are still ringing. if i keep this up y'all will have to write in caps for me to hear ya.
post #105 of 137
Quote:
Originally Posted by nonametofame View Post

I'm surprised on the comments about the turbo. I'd say for most music and the typical bassy movie (Smokin Aces), running the sub on max output works wonderfully. But for the extremely visceral, bass crushing movies like WOTW, JP3, and Pulse, the turbo plays those soundtracks with much more authority while still producing a very clean sound. For the extra $99, I'm keeping it for the true bass heavy movies, particularly the Matrix HD set coming out soon. But I'm definitely going to experiment more without the turbo. If it's noticably better without it, I might just store the turbo away for select movies.

The turbo is great in WOTW on those few scenes where it needs to dig down deep. But the 3.3 w/o turbo is no slouch either in those scenes and, IMO, does a better job throughout the rest of the movie.

Its great that HSU has given us the option though. Testing different configurations/locations is great.
post #106 of 137
Thread Starter 
well i checked calibration w/out turbo and then with, on my pink noise gen. there was about 3 db. diff. so i recallibrated w the tubo on and viola i have spl and deeeeep bass. i'm watching chapter 23-25 of the hulk and i am very happy here. i may keep this turbo after all.
i'm checking all of this without my shakers. once i decide to keep it or not i'll turn'em back on. on a side note i'm glad to see that the 3.3 did so well against the 2000 and 4000 watt diy'ers at the ilka shootout. remembering that i only have 350. it helps me justify the purchase i guess.
post #107 of 137
Quote:
Originally Posted by lvisneau View Post

well i checked calibration w/out turbo and then with, on my pink noise gen. there was about 3 db. diff. so i recallibrated w the tubo on and viola i have spl and deeeeep bass. i'm watching chapter 23-25 of the hulk and i am very happy here. i may keep this turbo after all.
i'm checking all of this without my shakers. once i decide to keep it or not i'll turn'em back on. on a side note i'm glad to see that the 3.3 did so well against the 2000 and 4000 watt diy'ers at the ilka shootout. remembering that i only have 350. it helps me justify the purchase i guess.

Isn't it a great thing when we can justify our purchase?

Did you get a 3db jump across all frequencies with the turbo? Would it be possible for you to post your FR response with and without the turbo so we can see?

I am still debating if I should get a turbo for 1 of my HO's; every time I see a positive review of the turbo it nudges me more and more into getting it. Now I just need to come up with $100, can anyone spare it?
post #108 of 137
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin12586 View Post

Isn't it a great thing when we can justify our purchase?

Did you get a 3db jump across all frequencies with the turbo? Would it be possible for you to post your FR response with and without the turbo so we can see?

I am still debating if I should get a turbo for 1 of my HO's; every time I see a positive review of the turbo it nudges me more and more into getting it. Now I just need to come up with $100, can anyone spare it?

actually on the pink noise i got a 2-3 db drop. thats why i had to bump up the vol.
to match the speakers. i'll try to map my response when i get time.
post #109 of 137
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin12586 View Post

Isn't it a great thing when we can justify our purchase?

Did you get a 3db jump across all frequencies with the turbo? Would it be possible for you to post your FR response with and without the turbo so we can see?

I am still debating if I should get a turbo for 1 of my HO's; every time I see a positive review of the turbo it nudges me more and more into getting it. Now I just need to come up with $100, can anyone spare it?

ok, without graphs here goes. w/turbo @ 1m amp at 70 w/ 0db 16htz gets 91
w/out is 82. thats about where the turbo's help ends. from there their even at 100 db. at 20 htz then 25 is 102 w/ and106 w/out 31.5 w/ 107 and 109 w/out 40 106 and 105, 50,110 and110, 63 112 and 113, and 80 104 and 105 .thats where my amps crossover is set and i get identical readings. so i guess if you want more of 16 htz then the turbo is the way to go. 25-31.5 then w/out. my listening poss. #'s were about the same except a little better w/out the turbo............. i hope my #'s aren't too cluttered to understand.
post #110 of 137
Quote:
Originally Posted by lvisneau View Post

ok, without graphs here goes. w/turbo @ 1m amp at 70 w/ 0db 16htz gets 91
w/out is 82. thats about where the turbo's help ends. from there their even at 100 db. at 20 htz then 25 is 102 w/ and106 w/out 31.5 w/ 107 and 109 w/out 40 106 and 105, 50,110 and110, 63 112 and 113, and 80 104 and 105 .thats where my amps crossover is set and i get identical readings. so i guess if you want more of 16 htz then the turbo is the way to go. 25-31.5 then w/out. my listening poss. #'s were about the same except a little better w/out the turbo............. i hope my #'s aren't too cluttered to understand.

I think you forgot to attach the graphs
post #111 of 137
From the charts I've seen posted on various threads, the output below 20Hz is about 6-10 db higher w/turbo and about 1-3 db lower above 20Hz to around 50Hz where they are equal again. This is for a turbo equipped VTF-3 Mk3 in max extension vs a non-turbo MK3 in max output mode though. Output for a HO would be different.
post #112 of 137
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin12586 View Post

I think you forgot to attach the graphs

thats why i said "without graphs". i don't have them to fill in. sorry. I used my rs spl meter along w/ the bass sweep cd that hsu provides with the sub.
post #113 of 137
Sorry I misunderstood
post #114 of 137
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin12586 View Post

Sorry I misunderstood

its all good. do you know where everyone here gets the graphs from? i'd like one for myself.
post #115 of 137
Thread Starter 
ok, ok I figured it out. this is my first try. i did not go too far past 80 hz cuz my fronts were taking over.
w/out turbo at listening pos.

1 m. w/out turbo

with turbo at listening pos.

and lastly with turbo at 1m

ugh, i did not realize the work that goes into this sh!t.
post #116 of 137
lvisneau,
what test tones/volume level did you use to achieve that high of a SPL? I'm used to seeing the REW graphs that are at reference level.
post #117 of 137
Quote:
Originally Posted by thehun View Post

That's because you're assuming that a given sub's output remains linear under stress especially at the lowest octaves. The so called "flat to" XXhz usually measured at low outputs like 80-85db, when you push the same driver to beyond 100db it quickly reaches it's limit and dynamic compression shows up, along with massive amount of distorsion. [the turbo is aimed to deal with this, but it has limits as well] If you find yourself raising the sub's volume well above the rest, it is a sign that you need more "woofage". Believe me I've been there.

Spot on.

No commercial subs remain linear when aproaching the output limits. The tests done by serious reviewers outside(gp) prove this clearly.
post #118 of 137
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingrsl View Post

lvisneau,
what test tones/volume level did you use to achieve that high of a SPL? I'm used to seeing the REW graphs that are at reference level.

In post #112 in this thread, Ivisneau stated he is using the test CD that HSU issues when you buy one of their subs. Tracks 9-18 of this CD has the sweeps he has listed in his graphs.
post #119 of 137
Quote:
Originally Posted by gvg45 View Post

In post #112 in this thread, Ivisneau stated he is using the test CD that HSU issues when you buy one of their subs. Tracks 9-18 of this CD has the sweeps he has listed in his graphs.


Thanks gvg45. I have the HSU test CD as well but I just use it to calibrate to reference (plus 3db). I was just wondering if people simply keep increasing the volume from there to get peak db for these graphs or is there another method.
post #120 of 137
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingrsl View Post

Thanks gvg45. I have the HSU test CD as well but I just use it to calibrate to reference (plus 3db). I was just wondering if people simply keep increasing the volume from there to get peak db for these graphs or is there another method.

i just start at 16hz and note the db. (started at 70 on my amp w/ 0 gain and 25% on sub. then i change tracks and note the db's. then transfer to the graph.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers › vtf3 mk3 came today wow it's a monster (pics)