Originally Posted by ILJG
How is a bad disc six steps back?
shark, you have a bad Happy Feet disc. I don't think any firmware on the planet is going to fix that. I had the exact symptom on my first copy of Happy Feet, and it looks like quite a few others did, too. Amazon gave me a new copy, and it's played through a few times with no issues. (FWIW, I have a A1 at FW 2.0)
...and, honestly, I'd be right with you making the same conclusion. There's a Happy Feet thread where there's more background on this issue that I haven't articulated here, so I fully understand your sentiment. I'm not, however, idly complaining, if being slightly hyperbolic.
First of all, this is my -third- Happy Feet disc, from two different retailers (Futureshop and HMV). Now, it's entirely possible, of course, that Canada got discs from the same batch, but what's fascinating in this case is -how- the player deals with the issue. Plus, as stated above, it's the -only- title that I can, without fail, recreate my most frustrating experience with my A1, namely the stutter "barf" that I indicate above.
With 2.0/2.1, from a hard-powered-off state, I could insert the disc, hit play, switch to TrueHD, watch Chapter Eight, and without fail have the title hang for a second at the timemark I provided.
What's new, and quite distressing, is the fact that with 2.2 I had a catastrophic playback failure, the first I ever had on my A1 (the first disc I ever played on a A2 caused the Hex error and total failure, scaring me from upgrading to G2 anytime soon as I took the disc out and finished the film, with a few stutters, on my A1).
I should emphasize - these are brand new discs, no scratches or marks, no obvious blemishes of any kind.
The following is of course relevant only to my system (A1 FW2.2>Monoprice Switcher>Sony 57WV700 DVI), but may be of use.b
So, to be explicit, here's what's fixed with 2.2:
- HDMI>DVI synch improved (it does occasionally take a couple times to synch, but it's greatly improved from 2.1 where it worked only after much fighting. It's about as good as it was with 2.0)
- Setup now works with HDMI connection
- Disc ejects sooner (it seems, alas, I haven't timed it, others have/will)
Here's what's not fixed:
- SD-DVD playback - I can get usually an FBI screen, then HDMI ERROR 1 regardless of title
- The Happy Feet disc barf has resulted in a catastrophic failure for the first time (as posted above, testing procedure is as follows: 1) Hard Power off A1 2) Press play 3) Select TrueHD audio 4) Scene Select Chapter Eight 5) Play through until the flying bird dives under to steal the fish, just before Mumble breaks to the surface. The player will either hang for a moment, or, in my case, occassionally hang entirely, as the counter continues but the screen is frozen with the paused image, and no sound is emitted. When the disc -does- have a brief barf as per 2.0/2.1, you can rewind to the start of the chapter and it'll play through fine, repeated. It is only on the first playing of this scene from a cold boot that the disc seems to exhibit this problem.
- Black level/colourspace - while I have no test disc to confirm (damn you Azn, I'm waiting for DVE since Oct), it certainly looks at first blush like "darker" with HDMI than component, however, I have yet to definitively be able to prove this.
Hope that helps and is more clear...