or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › Screens › ***Official SmX Theater Solutions Screen Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

***Official SmX Theater Solutions Screen Thread - Page 12

post #331 of 1278
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlbrand View Post

Yeah, I might. But hey, who says I won't buy an SMX screen some day? I won't DIY forever. Once my kids are done with college I'm going to spurge! I was also hoping that screen brand preference wouldn't be an issue for projector advice.

It probably isn't. But here you're only reaching a small percentage of the people who might have an educated opinion on ohe subject.
post #332 of 1278
Quote:
Originally Posted by stef2 View Post

I recently got pricing information for a 2,35:1 SMX screen. Unfortunately, the price was more than I expected (don't conclude that I found it TOO expensive, the screen seems fantastic...)

My question is: Should I expect any special deals or AVS powerbuys on the SMX screen at any point in the future?

I am looking to purchase a screen and find it very frustrating that there are no prices on the SMX screens. I have gone on the SMX website and clicked on pricing and it says to call. I see that there are other screen companies that advertise on the AVS Forum and display their prices. It concerns me that a company isn't willing to show their prices. Am I missing something. Where can I find the prices on the different size screens? I want to purchase a screen with a masking system but the only price I could find was starting at $9000. Seems like an awful lot of money for a screen.
post #333 of 1278
Quote:
Originally Posted by barryle View Post

I am looking to purchase a screen and find it very frustrating that there are no prices on the SMX screens. I have gone on the SMX website and clicked on pricing and it says to call. I see that there are other screen companies that advertise on the AVS Forum and display their prices. It concerns me that a company isn't willing to show their prices. Am I missing something. Where can I find the prices on the different size screens? I want to purchase a screen with a masking system but the only price I could find was starting at $9000. Seems like an awful lot of money for a screen.

We are a dealer for Stewart. As far as Stewart goes, consumers will not find published prices for most of their products. Why you ask? Like SMX, the Stewarts are made to order and every masked, or curved screen is custom. These screens are a big ticket purchase and the manufacturers want to help you make the best choice. Contact the manufacturer or authorizerd dealer.
post #334 of 1278
Quote:
Originally Posted by Audiodynamics View Post

We are a dealer for Stewart. As far as Stewart goes, consumers will not find published prices for most of their products. Why you ask? Like SMX, the Stewarts are made to order and every masked, or curverd screen is custom. These screens are a big ticket purchase and the manufacturers want to help you make the best choice. Contact the manufacturer or authorizerd dealer.

Excellent advice. I have noticed one company with a price grid, and that is certainly helpful, but most do not post this information. I am an avid internet shopper, but it does not strike me as devious to ask people to call for pricing. To say that there are a lot of options/variables is an understatement. I know from my recent experience that Ruben will spend whatever time necessary to explain his product and help a person select the right product.

I'll go so far as to say that I found SmX's customer service to be OUTSTANDING.

Just my $.02.
post #335 of 1278
Quote:
Originally Posted by pepar View Post

Excellent advice. I have noticed one company with a price grid, and that is certainly helpful, but most do not post this information. I am an avid internet shopper, but it does not strike me as devious to ask people to call for pricing. To say that there are a lot of options/variables is an understatement. I know from my recent experience that Ruben will spend whatever time necessary to explain his product and help a person select the right product.

I'll go so far as to say that I found SmX's customer service to be OUTSTANDING.

Just my $.02.

From what I've read here at AVS, it appears that Ruben is a standup guy to do business with and also that he has engineered a very impressive product.

The more I read, the more I've been considering contacting Ruben to add SMX to my companies product offerings.

Since he's one of the most discerning and knowledgeable home theater buffs here, I'm anxious to hear what Art has to say about his SMX sample.
post #336 of 1278
I was wondering for all that Own a SmX screen or just the material how long does the plastic smell from the material last. I just installed my material yesterday and the plastic smell is really strong and I can't stand to hang in the HT for to long as it is giving me a headache.
post #337 of 1278
Quote:
Originally Posted by W00lly View Post

I was wondering for all that Own a SmX screen or just the material how long does the plastic smell from the material last. I just installed my material yesterday and the plastic smell is really strong and I can't stand to hang in the HT for to long as it is giving me a headache.

I don't know how long it takes, but it does go away. I remember feeling the same way when I got my material - it was a very strong smell. Doesn't smell at all now. I can't say how long it takes because mine sat on a roll for about a year before I actually put it in the room (but I know it doesn't take that long ).
post #338 of 1278
Quote:
Originally Posted by Audiodynamics View Post

From what I've read here at AVS, it appears that Ruben is a standup guy to do business with and also that he has engineered a very impressive product.

In the dictionary next to "standup guy" should be a picture of Ruben.

I *know* he winced when he did it, but he just replaced at no charge to me to frame pieces that had a small amount of felt rubbed off during transit. His 1-29-2008 post re "working on packing methods to minimize cost" is a reference to that with the "minimizing cost" referring to packing things properly - the first time - so he does not have to replace them.
post #339 of 1278
Quote:
Originally Posted by W00lly View Post

I was wondering for all that Own a SmX screen or just the material how long does the plastic smell from the material last. I just installed my material yesterday and the plastic smell is really strong and I can't stand to hang in the HT for to long as it is giving me a headache.

It will take a while to off-gas. I have a small sample that is a few weeks old and *it* still smells vinyl-y. I can only imagine how long it will take my new, still-in-the-box 110-incher when I put that up in a few days.
post #340 of 1278
Quote:
Originally Posted by W00lly View Post

I was wondering for all that Own a SmX screen or just the material how long does the plastic smell from the material last. I just installed my material yesterday and the plastic smell is really strong and I can't stand to hang in the HT for to long as it is giving me a headache.

Mine doesn't smell anymore. It's been a couple of months. I'm not really sure when it stopped smelling, but it's done now.
post #341 of 1278
Since you guys are answering questions did any of you have wrinkles from the material being on the roll for so long. I tryed to pull them all out when I stretched it but could not get the ones in the middle. I am wondering if they will relax out after being hung and stretched onto the frame for some time
post #342 of 1278
Quote:
Originally Posted by W00lly View Post

Since you guys are answering questions did any of you have wrinkles from the material being on the roll for so long. I tryed to pull them all out when I stretched it but could not get the ones in the middle. I am wondering if they will relax out after being hung and stretched onto the frame for some time

I didn't have that problem. Sorry I can't help.
post #343 of 1278
Quote:
Originally Posted by W00lly View Post

Since you guys are answering questions did any of you have wrinkles from the material being on the roll for so long. I tryed to pull them all out when I stretched it but could not get the ones in the middle. I am wondering if they will relax out after being hung and stretched onto the frame for some time

I did not have any wrinkles from the roll. However, I have had to take it down and re-stretch it on the frame a couple of times as it adjusts to the different weather. I'm sure this is due to the fact that I have a home-made frame. If I had the nifty grommet things on Ruben's frames or had designed my frame for stretching better (like with a stretcher-bar in the middle or something) I probably wouldn't have this issue. The material is very heavy and doesn't really stretch very well by hand.
post #344 of 1278
Quote:
Originally Posted by W00lly View Post

I was wondering for all that Own a SmX screen or just the material how long does the plastic smell from the material last. I just installed my material yesterday and the plastic smell is really strong and I can't stand to hang in the HT for to long as it is giving me a headache.

Hi Wooly,

Usually it tends to smell a little more if we get it fresh from the manufacturer and ship it out right away to the customer. When a roll is sitting in our plant for a while before it ships, the smell tends to be less.

Once it is hung up, the smell should lessen within the first week or so and be completely gone within 2 - 3 weeks from what I have heard from customers in past reports.

Ruben
post #345 of 1278
Quote:
Originally Posted by W00lly View Post

Since you guys are answering questions did any of you have wrinkles from the material being on the roll for so long. I tryed to pull them all out when I stretched it but could not get the ones in the middle. I am wondering if they will relax out after being hung and stretched onto the frame for some time

If they are just waves or slight wrinkles from storage, they will most likely disappear once the screen is hung for a while. If they are hard creases from the material being mishandled, they may be permanent. If you have any problems, let me know.

Was this on a DIY frame?

Ruben
post #346 of 1278
Quote:
Originally Posted by barryle View Post

I am looking to purchase a screen and find it very frustrating that there are no prices on the SMX screens. I have gone on the SMX website and clicked on pricing and it says to call. I see that there are other screen companies that advertise on the AVS Forum and display their prices. It concerns me that a company isn't willing to show their prices. Am I missing something. Where can I find the prices on the different size screens? I want to purchase a screen with a masking system but the only price I could find was starting at $9000. Seems like an awful lot of money for a screen.


Hi Barry,

We don't list prices online because dealers/installers/integrators/retail don't want to compete with online marketing. Most of them won't deal with companies that sell online.

If you need a price quote, you can always contact AVS as they are one of our dealers or contact us via phone or email.

Our masking systems are more expensive than our fixed screens due to each masking system taking 2 weeks to be hand built and having independent motors, electronics, programming, calibrating, acoustical insulating, etc. Our masking systems fully integrate into Crestron, AMX, Control4, HAI, etc.

Ruben
post #347 of 1278
Quote:
Originally Posted by Audiodynamics View Post

....I'm anxious to hear what Art has to say about his SMX sample.

Thank you for stopping in. Art has been at a few CRT meets that used our screens. Here is a quote from one of the last meets from him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Art Sonneborn View Post

Cliff,
I want to thank you for hosting a fantastic meet. You have really put together one of the best video displays on the planet ! It was so cool chatting with some of the most incredible people around . I was so impressed with the uniformity on the SMX screen, the fantastic convergence,sharpness,ideal light output and what is the best balance of blackout capability and shadow detail I've yet seen anywhere. It just looked like you nailed it to me.

Quoted from this thread

We are sending Art a couple large samples of our solid screen as well as AT for him to check out in his personal environment. He said he would share some more feedback here once he checks them out.

Thanks
Ruben
post #348 of 1278
Ruben

This is a 12' 2.35 proline I bought from you this last summer right after you started shipping them and I just now got the screen installed. The wrinkles are not creases they are wrinkles from being on the cardboard roll they are right in the middle of the screen. I tryed stretching them out as best I could. I shot my projector on it today and could not see them so the material mite relax we will see.
post #349 of 1278
Quote:
Originally Posted by SandmanX View Post

Hi Barry,

We don't list prices online because dealers/installers/integrators/retail don't want to compete with online marketing. Most of them won't deal with companies that sell online.

If you need a price quote, you can always contact AVS as they are one of our dealers or contact us via phone or email.

Our masking systems are more expensive than our fixed screens due to each masking system taking 2 weeks to be hand built and having independent motors, electronics, programming, calibrating, acoustical insulating, etc. Our masking systems fully integrate into Crestron, AMX, Control4, HAI, etc.

Ruben

I've done this and am having a real hard time to getting pricing. I've emailed and called and was told their system was down. I want to move forward but i'm not sure what else I can do to get pricing to move forward.
post #350 of 1278
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlbrand View Post

Yeah, I might. But hey, who says I won't buy an SMX screen some day? I won't DIY forever. Once my kids are done with college I'm going to spurge! I was also hoping that screen brand preference wouldn't be an issue for projector advice.

Projector choice is mostly up to the individual. It's not really about what projector performs best on this type of screen. Pretty much everyone with entry level projectors up to $100k plus projectors are very happy with the results.

The question you need to ask yourself is do you want a projector that has more of a soft film like projected image or a sharper more defined image. You have HD-ILA/LCOS (JVC-RS1-2) which offers a softer less defined screen door/pixel structure. You also have CRT which doesn't offer as much light output as todays digital projectors but has incredible contrast and more film like projected images.

Then you have LCD/DLP which has a sharper image and usually more defined screen door/pixel structure with DLP being the most preferable choice.

Then some of these single chip projectors with color wheels produce rainbow effects which some people can't live with so they go the 3 chip route which puts things into another price level on the higher end projectors.

Then most importantly screen size vs light output. Contrast, convergence, etc.

So you have to decide on a budget and then look at all those options.

I myself prefer DLP and use a 720p 3 chipper and the projected image I get is absolutely phenomenal with incredible depth of field.

Regardless which projector you choose, the CineWeave will help increase contrast and perceived sharpness and deliver probably one of the most uniform and vibrant projected images you will ever see from an audio transparent projection screen!

Ruben
post #351 of 1278
Quote:
Originally Posted by W00lly View Post

Ruben

This is a 12' 2.35 proline I bought from you this last summer right after you started shipping them and I just now got the screen installed. The wrinkles are not creases they are wrinkles from being on the cardboard roll they are right in the middle of the screen. I tryed stretching them out as best I could. I shot my projector on it today and could not see them so the material mite relax we will see.

No worries, if they don't smooth out soon, we will get you a replacement.

Please keep me updated.

Ruben
post #352 of 1278
Quote:
Originally Posted by ericryd View Post

I've done this and am having a real hard time to getting pricing. I've emailed and called and was told their system was down. I want to move forward but i'm not sure what else I can do to get pricing to move forward.

I apologize, send me a PM on what you need and I will take care of it myself right now.

Ruben
post #353 of 1278
Ruben,

Thanks for taking the time to answer my projector question. I was afraid that some of the sharper image/defined image projectors might have a moire' problem with this type of screen, but from your description it sounds like it's more of a personal preference, and all types of projectors will work well. I'm trying to decide between the Panasonic AE-2000 that has a more film like image, or the Epson 1080UB, which supposedly has a 50,000:1 contrast ratio, killer blacks, and is sharper and brighter than the Panasonic. I am leaning towards the Epson, and feel more comfortable about that after your info.

Thanks, Mike
post #354 of 1278
Ruben,

I just read above that you have a solid screen option now and not just the AT? Is it comparable to the ST130?

Thanks!

Doc
post #355 of 1278
Quote:
Originally Posted by SandmanX View Post

I apologize, send me a PM on what you need and I will take care of it myself right now.

Ruben

Great, thanks Ruben! PM sent.
post #356 of 1278
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlbrand View Post

Ruben,

Thanks for taking the time to answer my projector question. I was afraid that some of the sharper image/defined image projectors might have a moire' problem with this type of screen, but from your description it sounds like it's more of a personal preference, and all types of projectors will work well. I'm trying to decide between the Panasonic AE-2000 that has a more film like image, or the Epson 1080UB, which supposedly has a 50,000:1 contrast ratio, killer blacks, and is sharper and brighter than the Panasonic. I am leaning towards the Epson, and feel more comfortable about that after your info.

Thanks, Mike

If you weren't able to adjust the screen material for moiré, than I would opt for a projector with less defined pixel structure to help avoid it. But since our AT material is adjustable with our set system, you can counter-act moiré right on site.

50,000:1 contrast ratio?

Ruben
post #357 of 1278
Quote:
Originally Posted by dochlywd View Post

Ruben,

I just read above that you have a solid screen option now and not just the AT? Is it comparable to the ST130?

Thanks!

Doc

Hi Doc,

Very much comparable but has a wider viewing cone and is very uniform without a shimmering effect. Maybe Art will share his feedback on it once he gets it. I think he has a ST130 screen?

Ruben
post #358 of 1278
Quote:
Originally Posted by ebr View Post

I did not have any wrinkles from the roll. However, I have had to take it down and re-stretch it on the frame a couple of times as it adjusts to the different weather. I'm sure this is due to the fact that I have a home-made frame. If I had the nifty grommet things on Ruben's frames or had designed my frame for stretching better (like with a stretcher-bar in the middle or something) I probably wouldn't have this issue. The material is very heavy and doesn't really stretch very well by hand.

This is a big mistake for anyone DIYing and considering making a wood screen frame. Wood changes with humidity and wrinkles will eventually appear. As humidity levels change, wood responds by releasing or absorbing water vapor, until the internal moisture content of the wood is in equilibrium with the ambient humidity.

As wood absorbs water vapor it expands (even kiln-dried wood). It contracts with loss of water vapor. This is the cause of a lot of problems for wooden construction. It may look great for a while, but those wrinkles will come.

Aluminum is the way to go for consistency and longevity.

Ruben
post #359 of 1278
Quote:
Originally Posted by SandmanX View Post

This is a big mistake for anyone DIYing and considering making a wood screen frame. Wood changes with humidity and wrinkles will eventually appear. As humidity levels change, wood responds by releasing or absorbing water vapor, until the internal moisture content of the wood is in equilibrium with the ambient humidity.

As wood absorbs water vapor it expands (even kiln-dried wood). It contracts with loss of water vapor. This is the cause of a lot of problems for wooden construction. It may look great for a while, but those wrinkles will come.

Aluminum is the way to go for consistency and longevity.

Ruben

I used MDF... works like wood but seems to be stable in a 10' wide 16:9 frame. I have no complaints. I just got done watching HP on Ruben's wonderfull SMX material. No wrinkles. The key is don't pull it too tight, realizing that a littel un-evenness from being a little loose won't be visible. Stretching it tight can create tension waves.

I experimented with tension using thumbtacks. When I got it the way I wanted it I finished it off with a staple gun. I'm very pleased with the results.
post #360 of 1278
So where do I go to to get prices on these screens? The screen site or somewhere here on AVS. I have bought stuff on AVS forum before by simply hitting the link from one of the e-tailers at the top of the page. I guess there is a different way to get prices for these on AVS? Sorry for my lack of knowledge, just want to get some prices.

Also, I currently have a DaLite DaSnap Audio vision screen. Would I be able to buy a SMX screen and attach it to my current frame? It sounds like that is not available anymore right?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Screens
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › Screens › ***Official SmX Theater Solutions Screen Thread