or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Video Components › DVD Players (Standard Def) › Pioneer DV-400V Owners Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Pioneer DV-400V Owners Thread - Page 5

post #121 of 1139
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayemar9 View Post

i did the same thing! i was at BB yesterday looking at the unit. I asked a BB girl how much is the unit coz at their website it is discounted. She looked it up and told me it is discounted and would give it to me for $107. I asked again, how come the Pioneer website is saying its only $99, she looked it up again and told me that she can give it to me at that price.

i hooked it up to my sharp aquos 32 and hooked up my external WD 500 to the USB and watched the " entourage " divx. everything looked great and no problems with long filenames

definitely a good buy!


Great show. And yeah I'm very happy with the PQ. Loads of settings too, which is nice.

-M
post #122 of 1139
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickDriver View Post

What are you basing this on? Have you tried both the Samsung and Pioneer? I'm curious. I compared the Samsung to the Philips, which uses the same chip as the Pioneer, and liked the picture of the Samsung better - at least on my TV. I would love to hear from people who have tried both players. I know of one post in this thread where someone liked the Samsung better than the Pioneer.

I bought the 1080p samsung dvd player. The pq was very good just using component cables. (I had apparently lost my HDMI cable so just tried with component). However its play,eject controls froze thrice!! Neither remote nor buttons on player worked..and this to on first day.that made me so skeptical of samsung reliability that I returned it back to CC. I am now gonna buy Pioneer when they come to Walmart again.
[I have samsung HLS 5087 DLP TV and it's awesome. which makes me believe that samsung has great technology but lacks mass production reliability/experience.my tv makes weird noises sometimes ]
post #123 of 1139
Quote:
Originally Posted by amitda View Post

II am now gonna buy Pioneer when they come to Walmart again.
[ ]


Save gas money. ABT Electronics online....$99 + free shipping and no tax. Cheers
post #124 of 1139
Got one at Best Buy today. It was tagged at $119.99. I informed them of Pioneers online price and they agreed to match plus shipping. When they went to ring it up, some gift card thing came up and I ended up paying only the $99.99 (no shipping) plus I got a $20.00 gift card. I think they were suppose to give me the gift card at the $119.99 price. Anyway net effect was $79.99. Clearly an "oops".
post #125 of 1139
Quote:
Originally Posted by frosty View Post

Got one at Best Buy today. It was tagged at $119.99. I informed them of Pioneers online price and they agreed to match plus shipping. When they went to ring it up, some gift card thing came up and I ended up paying only the $99.99 (no shipping) plus I got a $20.00 gift card. I think they were suppose to give me the gift card at the $119.99 price. Anyway net effect was $79.99. Clearly an "oops".

not an oops. they did the same thing for me today also. i just showed them the printout of the pioneers MSRP and they honored it. then they gave me a $20 gift card.

sucks though that it doesn't come with composite cables.
post #126 of 1139
Can any of the owners post pictures of the file interface when selecting Divx/Xvid files?

I'm wondering whether it supports file tags for descriptions and whether it is better looking than the Oppo interface.
I'm considering buying this as a Divx/USB and 480i/HDMI DVD transport.

Thanks.
post #127 of 1139
Quote:
Originally Posted by splackavellie View Post

not an oops. they did the same thing for me today also. i just showed them the printout of the pioneers MSRP and they honored it. then they gave me a $20 gift card.

sucks though that it doesn't come with composite cables.

actually it does come with composite cables yellow rca plug and l/r audio i think you mean it doesnt come with hdmi cable
post #128 of 1139
Bought mine (Spain) without hdmi cable supplied.
post #129 of 1139
Quote:
Originally Posted by fresh View Post

actually it does come with composite cables yellow rca plug and l/r audio i think you mean it doesnt come with hdmi cable

oh yeah...i meant component. i knew that it wasnt going to come with HDMI but i was atleast hoping that it would come with component.
post #130 of 1139
Quote:
Originally Posted by splackavellie View Post

oh yeah...i meant component. i knew that it wasnt going to come with HDMI but i was atleast hoping that it would come with component.

i think its rare when u see a dvd player come with componet cables they all usually come with composite or hdmi or both which in this case the pionner comes with composite
post #131 of 1139
I must be missing something. I'm totally ticked I bought this player and can't believe I threw away the receipt. I have it hooked to a PDP-5070HD Plasma TV and all 10 DVDs I've tried have black bars top and bottom. I'm using the HDMI cable with 1080i and 16:9 wide settings. I looked in the owners manual and it says this what I should expect!!! I used the zoom feature on the TV to fill up the black space but the image looks distorted. So my question is why are all of you so happy with this player? Do you all watch it with black bars?

Rob
post #132 of 1139
Quote:
Originally Posted by da_rushman View Post

I must be missing something. I'm totally ticked I bought this player and can't believe I threw away the receipt. I have it hooked to a PDP-5070HD Plasma TV and all 10 DVDs I've tried have black bars top and bottom. I'm using the HDMI cable with 1080i and 16:9 wide settings. I looked in the owners manual and it says this what I should expect!!! I used the zoom feature on the TV to fill up the black space but the image looks distorted. So my question is why are all of you so happy with this player? Do you all watch it with black bars?

Rob

black bars are normal, its how movies were filmed.
post #133 of 1139
Thanks a lot guys. you all rock!!
I found that, till Saturday (June 16) BB has a promotion that with this player you get $20 gift card. I went to BB with Pioneer site (99$) and walmart site printout
and they gave it to me for 87$!this is the link
http://www.walmart.com/catalog/produ...uct_id=5811826
I havent tried hdmi upscaling yet.but so far so good. I am luving it

thanks
post #134 of 1139
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goatse View Post

black bars are normal, its how movies were filmed.

Thanks, I guess that's why everyone is so happy with this player. From an idiots point of view I'm not sure why my TV is 16:9 if things arn't filmed that way but I'll deal with it. My new question is should I expect black bars from a Blu-ray or HD-DVD player as well?
post #135 of 1139
Quote:
Originally Posted by da_rushman View Post

Thanks, I guess that's why everyone is so happy with this player. From an idiots point of view I'm not sure why my TV is 16:9 if things arn't filmed that way but I'll deal with it. My new question is should I expect black bars from a Blu-ray or HD-DVD player as well?


It's not the player, it is the aspect ratio that the movie was filmed in. Do a search on "OAR" and you will see what I mean...
post #136 of 1139
Quote:
Originally Posted by doubleroll View Post

It's not the player, it is the aspect ratio that the movie was filmed in. Do a search on "OAR" and you will see what I mean...

Thanks, I looked it up on Wikipedia. I had no idea that was how movies and TVs were set up. Nothing like getting educated on a Saturday morning.
post #137 of 1139
Here are som info links: http://tvcalculator.com/
and
Display formats
post #138 of 1139
I bought this DVD player today at the BB in Downers Grove, IL. They had quite a few, and they were selling them for 99.99.

I got home and connected it to my 46-XBR2 and it looked great in 480p via HDMI. I went to the settings to turn it to 1080p and it went through this are you sure warning script about loosing your picture if you TV cannot handle 1080p. I confirmed that my my TV could handle 1080P, and sure enough it went black and I had to rest the unit back to 480p.

Any idea why this occurred? What can I do differently? I could not play around with it again tonight as the kids had to watch something....

I bought this for the 1080p up conversion, and I will be upset if I cannot use it...

Any help is appreciated.

Denmark
post #139 of 1139
Quote:
Originally Posted by denmark116 View Post

I bought this DVD player today at the BB in Downers Grove, IL. They had quite a few, and they were selling them for 99.99.

I got home and connected it to my 46-XBR2 and it looked great in 480p via HDMI. I went to the settings to turn it to 1080p and it went through this are you sure warning script about loosing your picture if you TV cannot handle 1080p. I confirmed that my my TV could handle 1080P, and sure enough it went black and I had to rest the unit back to 480p.

Any idea why this occurred? What can I do differently? I could not play around with it again tonight as the kids had to watch something....

I bought this for the 1080p up conversion, and I will be upset if I cannot use it...

Any help is appreciated.

Denmark

i dont know what ur problem might be i connected my pioneer to my 40v-2500 via hdmiand said same time if it dosent support 1080p tv will go blank and it dint go black 1080p works good
post #140 of 1139
Will the unit play FLAC files?

Thanks,
Yeto
post #141 of 1139
Quote:
Originally Posted by dr0s View Post

It means that the player is not passing blacker-than-black. This was a problem with the 490V as well. You can probably get BTB if you use component instead of hdmi, but then you might lose above-white.

If the player does not pass BTB, then no combination of settings will restore it. - DR

have you been smoking? the dv-490v did pass the bette than black test of the home theather secret benchmark so i'm sure the dv400v does even better since it is better then the 490v!!!
post #142 of 1139
Does this play ALL REGION and output ok PAL>NTSC over composite or S-video? Component?
post #143 of 1139
does this DV-400 take a long time to power up and load like the older DV-490 and DV-393?
I have the dv-393 now, and I've become interested in the DV-400, but would like to make sure that this has a faster start up...the dv-393/490 takes a pretty long time to do anything after pressing the power on button remote...
-thanks.
post #144 of 1139
I've got the DV-400 and a new Pioneer 5080. Given the resolution of the display, what is the best resolution setting on the DV-400 to feed the 5080. I've got it connected via HDMI and currently set to 1080p, even though this is not a native resolution of the display. Ideas?

Thanks in advance.
post #145 of 1139
Quote:
Originally Posted by dasher123 View Post

does this DV-400 take a long time to power up and load like the older DV-490 and DV-393?
I have the dv-393 now, and I've become interested in the DV-400, but would like to make sure that this has a faster start up...the dv-393/490 takes a pretty long time to do anything after pressing the power on button remote...
-thanks.

it does take quite a bit of time to power up the unit but after that navigating through the menu is quite fast
post #146 of 1139
hmmm...thanks, fresh.
I guess I'll just have to live with it...i love my dv-393 for its price...amazing picture on CRT flat screen, but slow to start up.
planning to get a Tosh 32" LCD come thxgiving/xmas sales, and I think the DV-400 will be the perfect upgrade to the dv-393. glad it's black.
post #147 of 1139
anyone hnows which type of chipset is used in dv 400 and dv 600 ???
mediatek 1389 XXXX ????
post #148 of 1139
Quote:
Originally Posted by ano102 View Post

anyone hnows which type of chipset is used in dv 400 and dv 600 ???
mediatek 1389 XXXX ????

DV-400 have new 89S (MT1389 revision S)
post #149 of 1139
Quote:
Originally Posted by ano102 View Post

anyone hnows which type of chipset is used in dv 400 and dv 600 ???
mediatek 1389 XXXX ????

DV-400V uses an MT1389FE
post #150 of 1139
ok thanks for answers
1389S ou FE ?

and the dv600V uses another version ?

I explain my question
It seem that the upscaling feature on dv 400V is quite average, not bad not very good
So per haps that the version of chipset inside the dv 600V is more performant on this

Is there somewhere where we could determine the difference between the different version of mediatek 1389 chipset ?

thanks for help
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: DVD Players (Standard Def)
AVS › AVS Forum › Video Components › DVD Players (Standard Def) › Pioneer DV-400V Owners Thread