or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Video Components › DVD Players (Standard Def) › DVD output to widescreen?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

DVD output to widescreen?

post #1 of 10
Thread Starter 
I am sorry but I can't find an answer to this... I have a Sony progressive scan DVD player and a Sony (34 XBR 970) HDTV (480i/p, 720i/p, 1080i). In the menu for my DVD player you can select the TV output type. 4:3 letterbox, 4:3 pan-scan or 16:9. My TV is 16:9 so I selected that. Does selecting this do anything? When the movie is playing and I hit the "display" button it shows that the signal is 480p and 16:9. But what does the 16:9 do? I still have to use the "zoom" screen setting to get rid of the bars. If the screen is on "normal" there are bars on the sides. What does outputting to 16:9 mean? In my manual it looks when you are in 480i/p you can't have unstretched widescreen. I am confused because I thought I've seen Gamecube games that output put to 16:9 without stretching and it's 480i/p. I can't figure this out.
post #2 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by randycandy View Post

I am sorry but I can't find an answer to this... I have a Sony progressive scan DVD player and a Sony (34 XBR 970) HDTV (480i/p, 720i/p, 1080i). In the menu for my DVD player you can select the TV output type. 4:3 letterbox, 4:3 pan-scan or 16:9. My TV is 16:9 so I selected that. Does selecting this do anything? When the movie is playing and I hit the "display" button it shows that the signal is 480p and 16:9. But what does the 16:9 do? I still have to use the "zoom" screen setting to get rid of the bars. If the screen is on "normal" there are bars on the sides. What does outputting to 16:9 mean? In my manual it looks when you are in 480i/p you can't have unstretched widescreen. I am confused because I thought I've seen Gamecube games that output put to 16:9 without stretching and it's 480i/p. I can't figure this out.

You have to tell the DVD player the shape of your display. 16:9 is correct in your case.

Black bars: follow the links in the first posting here: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=824238

-Bill
post #3 of 10
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by wmcclain View Post

You have to tell the DVD player the shape of your display. 16:9 is correct in your case.

Black bars: follow the links in the first posting here:

-Bill

I did tell my DVD player that my TV is 16:9. I don't think you have answered my questions. I still do not get it.
post #4 of 10
The bars will be there unless the DVD has an aspect ratio that matches the 16:9 that your TV is fixed at. DVDs labeled 1.78:1 (I think that's the one. Correct me if I'm wrong) for the aspect ratio will be barless, but not all DVDs will be at that aspect ratio.

If you set your DVD player to 16:9, it will allow the DVD to be displayed with minimal bars (since it is much closer to the DVD's aspect ratio than a 4:3 TV), but it may not get rid of them totally.

There is no way to get rid of the bars on DVDs with other aspect ratios except zooming (which compromises picture quality.) That's pretty much a reality you have to accept, unless you have a custom projection theater that can adjust your screen's size using curtains or something. (As for games, I'm not sure, but they may conform more uniformly to a standard ratio. You'd have to ask the gamers.)


Bottom line, you have your player set correctly. Everything you see is what everyone else with a widescreen TV is seeing.
post #5 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by randycandy View Post

I did tell my DVD player that my TV is 16:9. I don't think you have answered my questions. I still do not get it.

Well, I did direct you to some links which explain black bars in exhaustive detail. Did you read those pages?

-Bill
post #6 of 10
Thread Starter 
i read the links. i am very confident that i get all of that. i get bars on the top and bottom AND on the sides. thats in "normal" mode (not stretched). i can do the zoom and get rid of all of the bars but then what is the point of having the DVD player output to 16:9? and it does seem to be working because the TV reads the signal as 480p 16:9. I don't get it. in the manual of my TV it has 480i/p modes and 720/1080 modes. I think as longs as it is 480 it will have bars on the sides even if the output is 16:9. does this sound right? does anyone have the low end sony prog. scan DVD player and 34xbr970 TV?
post #7 of 10
480i, 480p, 720p, and 1080i have NOTHING to do with what you're seeing.

Your first two posts mentioned NOTHING about bars on the sides. Bars on the side does suggest something isn't configured right. Try the different modes on your TV's remote, though "normal" should be the proper one. Next, check your DVD's player's remote. They can normally zoom too. In addition to zooming "in", i.e. making the picture bigger, some will zoom "out" too, which will introduce bars on ALL sides.
post #8 of 10
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by hall View Post

480i, 480p, 720p, and 1080i have NOTHING to do with what you're seeing.

Your first two posts mentioned NOTHING about bars on the sides. Bars on the side does suggest something isn't configured right. Try the different modes on your TV's remote, though "normal" should be the proper one. Next, check your DVD's player's remote. They can normally zoom too. In addition to zooming "in", i.e. making the picture bigger, some will zoom "out" too, which will introduce bars on ALL sides.

my first post actually does mention bars on the side!

either way i have figured it out. when the TV is in normal mode it does have the bars on the side BUT it is a scrunched picture (it's hard to tell but that one link with the lebowski and the bowling ball was the test i needed). the TV automatically goes to Full (which is right) but i thought it was doing that for some other reason. either way... YAY!
post #9 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by randycandy View Post

I have a Sony progressive scan DVD player and a Sony (34 XBR 970) HDTV (480i/p, 720i/p, 1080i).

Besides setting the DVD player to 16:9, you have to set the TV's "Screen Mode" to "FULL" as outlined on page 31 of the user manual!
post #10 of 10
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by cavu View Post

Besides setting the DVD player to 16:9, you have to set the TV's "Screen Mode" to "FULL" as outlined on page 31 of the user manual!

i already figured it out. and it's not upconverted! it's 480p which is on pg. 30.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: DVD Players (Standard Def)
AVS › AVS Forum › Video Components › DVD Players (Standard Def) › DVD output to widescreen?