or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › Screens › The official SeymourAV center stage screen thread!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The official SeymourAV center stage screen thread! - Page 53

post #1561 of 2609
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin G View Post

Mike- I am planning a 120" wide 2.37 Enlightor 4K screen. 18 ft throw distance, seating 9 ft and 14 ft. Do you think the JVC RS 45/55 has enough lumens? What other PJ would you recommend with this size AT screen with a lower gain?

It would do it with ease in my opinion. I just got my X70 set up on a 115" wide & the iris down to -11. Anything more than that seems to be hard on my eyes.
post #1562 of 2609
I have a noob question. I am thinking of getting a screen with SeymourAV Centerstage XD AT screen material, but if I do this I would need to hang the screen about 7 inches from the wall to get my speakers behind it. I won't be sinking the speakers into the wall. Will that work or does the screen have to be flush with the wall? I'm just hoping that no light will go through the screen and reflect back to the screen from behind. I don't know much about AT screens, so I have no idea if that will be a problem.
post #1563 of 2609
Hello all a quick question...how many of you installed grommets as a DIY install and how did you do it and how did it turn out.

Thanks in advance.

Tom
post #1564 of 2609
bassage, you will need to have a dark colored wall behind or alternatively use some blackout fabric at the back of the screen to prevent reflexions.
post #1565 of 2609
Quote:
Originally Posted by bassage View Post

I have a noob question. I am thinking of getting a screen with SeymourAV Centerstage XD AT screen material, but if I do this I would need to hang the screen about 7 inches from the wall to get my speakers behind it. I won't be sinking the speakers into the wall. Will that work or does the screen have to be flush with the wall? I'm just hoping that no light will go through the screen and reflect back to the screen from behind. I don't know much about AT screens, so I have no idea if that will be a problem.

They have a black backing that they can put on the back of the screen.
post #1566 of 2609
Quote:
Originally Posted by bassage View Post

I have a noob question. I am thinking of getting a screen with SeymourAV Centerstage XD AT screen material, but if I do this I would need to hang the screen about 7 inches from the wall to get my speakers behind it. I won't be sinking the speakers into the wall. Will that work or does the screen have to be flush with the wall? I'm just hoping that no light will go through the screen and reflect back to the screen from behind. I don't know much about AT screens, so I have no idea if that will be a problem.

As long as the surfaces are reasonably dark and nonreflective behind the screen, you should be fine without the secondary black backing. As long as the screen isn't a couple feet from the wall, the frame should block any possible secondary image from the furthest off-axis seats. Mine is eight feet from the back wall, so yeah, I needed the secondary black backing layer to kill the back wall image that the side seats would see. You can also add it later if you find you need it, so I'd vote to try without. Use paint and dark acoustic treatments first.

Cheers,
Chris
post #1567 of 2609
My wall is a lighter tan/beige color, so I might need to put something back there. If I do end up doing an AT screen, I will do like you said and try without first probably.
post #1568 of 2609
Here is a link to some pics of my theater (a little outdated but the key ones are still there). I did exactly as you want to do... I hung the Seymour screen out from the wall about a foot and fit my speakers behind it.

My front wall is covered in acoustic insulation and then covered in a velvety acoustic fabric... It absorbs all the reflections. My speakers are on shelves I built onto the walls. Works great. Been a few years, I would have to look up links to my sources if interested. Let me know if you want more details.

This has been an awesome setup.... Still blows my mind a couple years after installing it.
post #1569 of 2609
Quote:
Originally Posted by bassage View Post

My wall is a lighter tan/beige color, so I might need to put something back there. If I do end up doing an AT screen, I will do like you said and try without first probably.

That doesn't sound dark enough to me. I'd try paint or dark acoustic treatments, but "lighter tan/beige" is likely too light without the black backing.

Cheers,
Chris
post #1570 of 2609
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin G View Post

Mike- I am planning a 120" wide 2.37 Enlightor 4K screen. 18 ft throw distance, seating 9 ft and 14 ft. Do you think the JVC RS 45/55 has enough lumens? What other PJ would you recommend with this size AT screen with a lower gain?

(RS45) I shot a 120" wide 16:9 image on the 4K material at about 15ft and the image looked great. As I said earlier the XD was brighter but certainly nothing wrong with the 4K material in terms of brightness.
post #1571 of 2609
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mopar_Mudder View Post

They have a black backing that they can put on the back of the screen.

So they can put this on for you before they send it? Or is it something you have to buy separately and place it behind the screen yourself?
post #1572 of 2609
Quote:
Originally Posted by bassage View Post

So they can put this on for you before they send it? Or is it something you have to buy separately and place it behind the screen yourself?

It is a separate material you put on while you are assembling the screen

EN4K includes the black backing and the Center Stage XD is an add on.

If you go to Screen Excellence's site and Seymour's site they have installation instructions that show you how it is done
post #1573 of 2609
Quote:
Originally Posted by bassage View Post

So they can put this on for you before they send it? Or is it something you have to buy separately and place it behind the screen yourself?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry M View Post

It is a separate material you put on while you are assembling the screen

EN4K includes the black backing and the Center Stage XD is an add on.

If you go to Screen Excellence's site and Seymour's site they have installation instructions that show you how it is done

Larry is correct. I bet by now Larry has read everything he can get his hands on, regarding the Enlightor 4K.
Reply
Reply
post #1574 of 2609
Quote:
Originally Posted by AV Science Sales 5 View Post

I switched to the Enlightor 4K. I am very pleased with the image and the brightness. I am using a JVC RS45 in normal (low) lamp with the iris closed all the way down. The image is very bright (65 hours on lamp).

Interesting. Are you happy with this combination for 3D material as well?
post #1575 of 2609
I am planning my screen and screen wall, and had originally planned on using Center Stage XD. The problem that I have is getting 6" between the speakers and the screen. Is anyone placing their screen closer than 6" from the speakers? If so, do you notice any problems with sound quality/transmission? I could probably get 2-3" max -- would that be enough? Any input is appreciated. Thanks.

Rob
post #1576 of 2609
Check starting around post 1024:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...e#post18940013

A few people mentioned 2 or 3" and it worked fine for them.
post #1577 of 2609
I have no problem with my speakers very close to the screen. Big subwoofers and/or front firing ports might be an issue because of larger air movements.
post #1578 of 2609
Quote:
Originally Posted by toref View Post

Interesting. Are you happy with this combination for 3D material as well?

Can't really answer that. I don't really have an interest in 3D, but I might have to get into it just to be able to answer questions just like this.
Reply
Reply
post #1579 of 2609
Quote:
Originally Posted by anonuser3 View Post

I am planning my screen and screen wall, and had originally planned on using Center Stage XD. The problem that I have is getting 6" between the speakers and the screen. Is anyone placing their screen closer than 6" from the speakers? If so, do you notice any problems with sound quality/transmission? I could probably get 2-3" max -- would that be enough? Any input is appreciated. Thanks.

Rob

Should not be a problem when using a woven screen.
Reply
Reply
post #1580 of 2609
Quote:
Originally Posted by anonuser3 View Post

I am planning my screen and screen wall, and had originally planned on using Center Stage XD. The problem that I have is getting 6" between the speakers and the screen. Is anyone placing their screen closer than 6" from the speakers? If so, do you notice any problems with sound quality/transmission? I could probably get 2-3" max -- would that be enough? Any input is appreciated. Thanks.

Rob

With perforated vinyl screens, they need 6-12" minimum spacing to shift their comb filtering and lobing from the midrange up into the treble. With woven screens, any measurable comb filtering starts in the treble and increasing airspace effectively removes it. The Center Stage XD has only a 1" recommended space between the screen and speakers and was designed to hang right over in-wall speakers. Any speaker/screen distance effect that's measurable is around 20kHz and so narrow a bandwidth (1/24 octave) as to be inaudible.

Cheers,
Chris
post #1581 of 2609
Great. Thanks for the info.
post #1582 of 2609
Hey guys

Im lookin to pick some XD material from SeymourAV and was wonder from the guys that have the epson 8350 what degree of tilt did you find that worked best for you? 15? 20?

Projectors at 14' and Im sitting at 12'
post #1583 of 2609
As long as you follow the methodology of up to 20 degree tilt or whatever fits on the roll as the screen size increases, it will be 100% projector proof.

Cheers,
Chris
post #1584 of 2609
Hey thanks Chris

Ill be sending you a email here quick for a quote

cheers
post #1585 of 2609
In case anyone was wondering the difference in screen gain between XD and EN4K

This is with my cell phone. EN4K on the left and XD on the right


JVS RS45 projecting about 125" wide at probably 20ft away
post #1586 of 2609
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry M View Post

In case anyone was wondering the difference in screen gain between XD and EN4K

This is with my cell phone. EN4K on the left and XD on the right


JVS RS45 projecting about 125" wide at probably 20ft away

Are you still trying to decide between screens?
Reply
Reply
post #1587 of 2609
Quote:
Originally Posted by AV Science Sales 5 View Post

Are you still trying to decide between screens?

I am not Larry M but I did sleep at a Holiday Inn Expess last night!

But on a serious note, I too am trying to decide between the EN4K and XD in a 120" wide scope size lit with a JVC RS45 from 16 ft and sitting 11.5 to 12 feet away.

Still trying to determine if it is worth spending all that extra dough on the EN4K as opposed to the XD?

For me it is all about the lack of screen texture with the EN4K but the XD helps a bit with brightness! It is just so much more money to make the leap to the EN4K!

I suppose going with the smoother EN4K might help future proof against any future Super High Res projector purchase possibly interacting in a negative manner. A high quality screen purchase should be a LONG term invetsment I would presume... at least I am trying to convince my self of that to help justify that VERY big expense!


...Glenn : )
post #1588 of 2609
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Baumann View Post



I am not Larry M but I did sleep at a Holiday Inn Expess last night!

But on a serious note, I too am trying to decide between the EN4K and XD in a 120" wide scope size lit with a JVC RS45 from 16 ft and sitting 11.5 to 12 feet away.

Still trying to determine if it is worth spending all that extra dough on the EN4K as opposed to the XD?

For me it is all about the lack of screen texture with the EN4K but the XD helps a bit with brightness! It is just so much more money to make the leap to the EN4K!

I suppose going with the smoother EN4K might help future proof against any future Super High Res projector purchase possibly interacting in a negative manner. A high quality screen purchase should be a LONG term invetsment I would presume... at least I am trying to convince my self of that to help justify that VERY big expense!


...Glenn : )

Glenn,

My recommendations would be to come to the Dark sideboth figuratively and literally. As you see in my post above the XD material is quite a bit brighter than the EN4K however I still ordered the EN4K in 120 16:9.

If you want to wait about 6-8 months I can tell you exactly how it will look with an RS45 or hell you're in LI so you can stop by

My reasoning for going with the EN4K despite the rather large price variance were as follows:

My first reason is the frame on the EN4K is just beastly. I'm sure the XD frame is great but I tend to overdo things and the EN4K frame is overdone!




This is all I opened of the box to see how black the material is and it is BLACK. The scratch you see in the picture is magnified by the flash. I'm not sure how it got there because it was packaged very nicely. You can't really see the scratch in person and I'm not thinking it will be a problem if the projector is over scanned on it.

My second reason is the 4K material, even though it is less bright I am confident my next projector whether it be 2 or 4 years from now will be 4K and a brighter technology. If I would have went with the XD I know in a couple of years I would be stuck with a screen that would be limiting my projectors capabilities. Do it once, do it right.now if a 4K material comes out with higher gain then oh well.

My 3rd reason was the black backing. With the XD this is an extra expense and is something that would possibly benefit me since I have Definitive Technology Super Tower speakers. The speakers aren't shiny but they're not dull either so not worth the chance.

My 4th reason was that I ordered the screen early in my construction phase so I haven't completely blown my budget away. Had this been 4 months from now and I was trying to limit the financial damage I may have thought otherwise and regretted it over the long run.
post #1589 of 2609
Chris,

Since I won't be installing my screen for a few months, do you have any special instructions on storage? Everything is still in the box as delivered but is it safe to store in the basement or garage?

Right now in the house and the wife doesn't seem too pleased that an 8' box is there
post #1590 of 2609
Larry M,

Where are you located?

I am on the South Shore in Western Suffolk!


...Glenn : )
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Screens
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › Screens › The official SeymourAV center stage screen thread!