or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › Screens › The official SeymourAV center stage screen thread!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The official SeymourAV center stage screen thread! - Page 70

post #2071 of 2609
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad Horstkotte View Post

I agree, at that size, the size of projected pixels and seating distance will be more of a factor than screen texture / weave holes. You also won't be able to tilt the material to combat moire, but I believe when the pixels are blown up that much, it won't matter.

Huh, I though I would still be able to...??
post #2072 of 2609
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChopShop1 View Post

Huh, I though I would still be able to...??
I think what he is referring to is that there is a maximum height of the material so, once you reach a certain size, you no longer have the ability to tilt the material and use a single piece of fabric. However, this should not be an issue with your size screen at 1080p, but might be an issue at 4K.
post #2073 of 2609
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChopShop1 View Post

Huh, I though I would still be able to...??

The most you would get is about 5deg of tilt at that size
post #2074 of 2609
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jedirun View Post

I think what he is referring to is that there is a maximum height of the material so, once you reach a certain size, you no longer have the ability to tilt the material and use a single piece of fabric. However, this should not be an issue with your size screen at 1080p, but might be an issue at 4K.

True. We wouldn't bother with a tilt at that size but there's nothing to worry about. As the size gets larger, the material doesn't need it. It'll have no problems at 4K either, as we have many 4K installations at this size and both larger and smaller.

Cheers,
Chris
post #2075 of 2609
Quote:
Originally Posted by chriscmore View Post

True. We wouldn't bother with a tilt at that size but there's nothing to worry about. As the size gets larger, the material doesn't need it. It'll have no problems at 4K either, as we have many 4K installations at this size and both larger and smaller.

Cheers,
Chris

Thanks Jedirun and Mopar for the answers.

Thanks Chris, I apprecaite the reassurance. What is your take on my earlier question...XD vs 4K at this size?? The reality is that if I purchase the DD HD5, as I plan to, I won't be replacing the PJ anytime soon for a 4k solution. I know you don't need 4k to appreciate the benefits of the 4k screen, just thinking out loud here.
post #2076 of 2609
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChopShop1 View Post

Thanks Jedirun and Mopar for the answers.

Thanks Chris, I apprecaite the reassurance. What is your take on my earlier question...XD vs 4K at this size?? The reality is that if I purchase the DD HD5, as I plan to, I won't be replacing the PJ anytime soon for a 4k solution. I know you don't need 4k to appreciate the benefits of the 4k screen, just thinking out loud here.
Obviously I am not Chris, but I would go with XD for the extra gain. At your size, the texture will not be a problem so I would not give up the gain for the smoother texture.
post #2077 of 2609
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jedirun View Post

Obviously I am not Chris, but I would go with XD for the extra gain. At your size, the texture will not be a problem so I would not give up the gain for the smoother texture.

That's kind of where I'm at. I'm only wavering a bit because Mike Garett made a really compelling argument for the 4k when I spoke to him. He didn't sat the XD is bad or anything, just that the EN4K was that good. Gain will be a bit of an issue, but the HD5 has a claim of 5k lumens...from the sounds of the early viewers, it can be painfully bright on a bit more reasonable screen.
post #2078 of 2609
Can anyone with a ceiling-mounted Seymour Motorized Screen give me the measurements of the screen case ? And, how far down it extends from the ceiling? I'm looking at the H095 109" Center Stage Screen.

I am working with a woodworker to fabricate a custom entertainment center and I need to know dimensions to frame around. I've looked at their website and can't find anything with detailed dimensions. I have downloaded the installation manual, but there are no schematics in the book.

Thanks in advance
post #2079 of 2609
Quote:
Originally Posted by wingnut65 View Post

Can anyone with a ceiling-mounted Seymour Motorized Screen give me the measurements of the screen case ? And, how far down it extends from the ceiling? I'm looking at the H095 109" Center Stage Screen.

Their retractable screens page has detailed dimensions at the bottom. Case height is 5.8".
post #2080 of 2609
Thanks, Scott. I've been on that page so much, but never saw the Dimensions section. That is what I needed!
post #2081 of 2609
Last weekend I got my Seymour XD screen hung.
I still need to trim it out, but what do you think?

Before




After

post #2082 of 2609
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffreyJonesBSME View Post

Last weekend I got my Seymour XD screen hung.
I still need to trim it out, but what do you think?



I think it looks pretty trimmed out and terrific already.

The screen is OK too. :P biggrin.gif
post #2083 of 2609
One of our AVS peers had a great feature on Electronic House. Using best practices from the industry's leading experts, this 15kW super theater of course uses a huge curved Seymour AV Center Stage XD screen.

http://www.electronichouse.com/article/superman_theater_delivers_15k_watts_of_sonic_superpower/

Cheers,
Chris
post #2084 of 2609
Hey I put that screen together and my impression was the frame was great, and I was amazed that the grommets and positioning resulted in perfect tension. no ripples and not too tight that it would deform the curve. Great job Chris. Anyone considering a 12 ft wide curved screen in a 13 ft wide room you need to think about where you are going to put it together.
post #2085 of 2609
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGmouthinDC View Post

Hey I put that screen together and my impression was the frame was great, and I was amazed that the grommets and positioning resulted in perfect tension. no ripples and not too tight that it would deform the curve. Great job Chris. Anyone considering a 12 ft wide curved screen in a 13 ft wide room you need to think about where you are going to put it together.

I bet that was a little tough. Heck it is not the easiest to put together a 9' wide curved screen in a 11' wide room.
Reply
Reply
post #2086 of 2609
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGmouthinDC View Post

Hey I put that screen together and my impression was the frame was great, and I was amazed that the grommets and positioning resulted in perfect tension. no ripples and not too tight that it would deform the curve. Great job Chris. Anyone considering a 12 ft wide curved screen in a 13 ft wide room you need to think about where you are going to put it together.

Ha...I read here at AVS...this guy built a 10' wide laminate screen in the garage then discovered he couldn't get it into his (non-walkout) basement. So he posted "can i section it...and how to do it without being too noticeable" !!

I didn't bother to subscribe...
post #2087 of 2609
I don't think I posted this pic in the construction thread, we assembled the screen half on the riser and the other end supported by a box in front of the stage.



The screen is nearly wall to wall


Edited by BIGmouthinDC - 4/30/13 at 9:54pm
post #2088 of 2609
Wow! Looks amazing!
post #2089 of 2609
That looks stunning!

I hope, one day I get a chance to do a proper room like this!
post #2090 of 2609
That does look awesome...amazing work
post #2091 of 2609
think so,using a Prismasonic H1400 FE anamorphic lens to stretch my 2.37 movies. 4.gif
post #2092 of 2609
Quote:
I once read a rule of thumb on these Forums from another professional that screen width should be 80% of the room width or less.
I think this was simply for aesthetics

I went pretty much as big as I could and I love it. At the same time, the screen is pretty close (~1 foot) away from one wall, whereas it opens up on the other side to an open room. The issue is an audio one. When I watched The Bourne Legacy, I noticed that the sound on the side of the screen that led to an open room actually left the soundstage. That is, there was a part where there was typing and I could actually localize it to about two feet off to the right of the screen. Very weird, but very cool. However, on the side of the screen where the wall was pretty much "right there", you could tell that the audio was cut off, like you could really tell that the wall was hindering the enveloping sound. I added acoustical panels at the first order reflection and that helped a fair bit. But honestly, if I were to do it again, I would leave a few feet at least on opposite sides of the screen and just sit closer. Just my 0.02 and hope that is helpful to people. Bigger is great, but it can come with some sacrifices.
post #2093 of 2609
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidK442 View Post

I once read a rule of thumb on these Forums from another professional that screen width should be 80% of the room width or less.
....

When I started my project I read this also.....and ignored it in the end. My screen wall is 148" wide and my 2.40:1 DYI Seymour screen is 124" wide and 51.5" tall. It consumes a great portion of my screen wall. This was the widest scope screen I could fit within the screen wall framing and still hold a little room on the sides for a future masking system.

Our seating locations are about 11' and 17'. I had intended on the front row to be "my row" but for what ever reason I like the rear row on the riser. If my room was any wider, my screen would have been wider as well. I love the "wow" factor of the screen that is darn near the width of my room (and so has everyone who has seen it).
post #2094 of 2609
Agreed - my XD screen is almost 90% of my room width and I wouldn't have it any other way.
post #2095 of 2609
I got my projector last night and was able to do a little viewing on my XD screen for the first time. Impressed!

My screen wall is about 14 X 8 and my screen is about 1.5 feet from the right and left corners.
It's about 8 inches from the top and about 10 inches from the floor.

And it's GREAT!
Bigger is better!
post #2096 of 2609
Anyone ever upgrade an Elite EZFrame to Center Stage XD screen material? Just wondering how possible/challenging it would be to retrofit XD into the EZFrame which uses are rod system with sleeves to fasten the screen to the frame.
post #2097 of 2609
Quote:
Originally Posted by RTK View Post

Anyone ever upgrade an Elite EZFrame to Center Stage XD screen material? Just wondering how possible/challenging it would be to retrofit XD into the EZFrame which uses are rod system with sleeves to fasten the screen to the frame.

I did it with VA frame which I think is EZFrame knockoff.
http://www.avsforum.com/t/1418460/reusing-visual-apex-frame-for-at-setup
I'd suggest you get a sample of XD and give it a try just to make sure
Edited by zheka - 5/18/13 at 7:38pm
post #2098 of 2609
Just recently purchased a 140 in wide Seymour-SE screen and am wondering about mounting depth...............design plan has image to be placed 25 inches in front of wall. Checking for mounting depth before framing screen wall.

Thanks.........
post #2099 of 2609
Quote:
Originally Posted by doublewing11 View Post

Just recently purchased a 140 in wide Seymour-SE screen and am wondering about mounting depth...............design plan has image to be placed 25 inches in front of wall. Checking for mounting depth before framing screen wall.

Thanks.........

I sent you an email. Let me know if it answers your questions. smile.gif
Reply
Reply
post #2100 of 2609
Quote:
Originally Posted by RTK View Post

Anyone ever upgrade an Elite EZFrame to Center Stage XD screen material? Just wondering how possible/challenging it would be to retrofit XD into the EZFrame which uses are rod system with sleeves to fasten the screen to the frame.

Not that frame, but you might want to check out this thread. If you have any questions, let me know. smile.gifhttp://www.avsforum.com/t/1180610/screen-conversion-elunevision-frame-with-center-stage-xd-material
Reply
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Screens
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › Screens › The official SeymourAV center stage screen thread!