or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › Screens › The official SeymourAV center stage screen thread!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The official SeymourAV center stage screen thread! - Page 71

post #2101 of 2609
I'm considering purchasing a Center Stage screen with the "Glacier White" non-AT 1.2 Gain screen material. I spoke with Jon @ SeymourAV but would like to hear some more feedback if anyone has it.

I'm considering getting a 103" 2.35 screen (Model #F095). I have the Sharp XCV-Z30000 projector with a throw distance of roughly 18 feet in a moderately light-controlled room.

I am also considering the Da-Lite Cinema Contour 103" 2.35 screen with their High Power material as I've heard good things about it, especially with 3D.

Additionally, I love the vertical masking panels on the Center Stage screen and it would fit perfectly in my application, whereas the Da-Lite does not have these panels.

My only hang up with the Seymour is the "Glacier White" screen material and whether or not it would suffice given my throw distance and modest ambient light situation. Last thing I want is hanging a screen that is too dim.

For math's sake, when not viewing 2.35 material, the 16:9 equivalent is an 82" screen. My seating distance can be variable; anywhere in between 16 feet and 13 feet, my choice (WAF applies).

Any advice is greatly appreciated! I'm leaning towards Seymour's Center Stage but I can't decide if the Glacier White 1.2 screen material will get the job done.

Thanks for reading! biggrin.gif
post #2102 of 2609
Another great AVS build received some press in Electronic House. For those who haven't seen his project, Jonathan's build is very cool indeed:

http://www.electronichouse.com/article/crestron_programmer_adds_creative_tweaks_to_his_own_theater/

Cheers,
Chris
post #2103 of 2609
Quote:
Originally Posted by analogBalrog View Post

I'm considering purchasing a Center Stage screen with the "Glacier White" non-AT 1.2 Gain screen material. I spoke with Jon @ SeymourAV but would like to hear some more feedback if anyone has it.

I'm considering getting a 103" 2.35 screen (Model #F095). I have the Sharp XCV-Z30000 projector with a throw distance of roughly 18 feet in a moderately light-controlled room.

I am also considering the Da-Lite Cinema Contour 103" 2.35 screen with their High Power material as I've heard good things about it, especially with 3D.

Additionally, I love the vertical masking panels on the Center Stage screen and it would fit perfectly in my application, whereas the Da-Lite does not have these panels.

My only hang up with the Seymour is the "Glacier White" screen material and whether or not it would suffice given my throw distance and modest ambient light situation. Last thing I want is hanging a screen that is too dim.

For math's sake, when not viewing 2.35 material, the 16:9 equivalent is an 82" screen. My seating distance can be variable; anywhere in between 16 feet and 13 feet, my choice (WAF applies).

Any advice is greatly appreciated! I'm leaning towards Seymour's Center Stage but I can't decide if the Glacier White 1.2 screen material will get the job done.

Thanks for reading! biggrin.gif

That screen size is relatively small so you should be able to get plenty of brightness. If you want a little more, consider the curved model as it will focus a little more light with the Glacier White non-At material. Curved with masking panels is the "ish" (had to look that one up after a relative used it - it means really good...)

You should be on the closest end of that seating range to get a cinematic feel. I'd scoot the seat up to about 11'.

As always, we're happy to send samples to make sure folks get the right screen for the job.

Cheers,
Chris
post #2104 of 2609
Has anyone here tried a curved 16:9 screen? The Seymour site states: " For that IMAX® feel, opt for a custom curved 16:9 screen" and I really like this idea. I am considering a 126" or 131" diagonal 16:9 screen. I would also probably get top and bottom masking panels for 2.35:1 movies. Any thoughts or experience with this? I will be using a Sony HW50ES with primary seats at 13.5 feet and second row at around 19 feet.
post #2105 of 2609
And as a follow up question to my previous post, is it difficult to achieve uniform focus when using a curved screen? Especially since I will not be using an anamorphic lens and most viewing will be in 16:9.
post #2106 of 2609
I have no problems with focus. You'll more likely notice the cinematographer's errors in focus more than any difference in perception between the outer side and center of the screen.
post #2107 of 2609
Quote:
Originally Posted by yosh7 View Post

And as a follow up question to my previous post, is it difficult to achieve uniform focus when using a curved screen? Especially since I will not be using an anamorphic lens and most viewing will be in 16:9.

The entire purpose of a curve screen is to fix problems with and anamorphic lense. If you aren't using one I see no good reason to have a curved screen, I can see where it would cause problems though.
post #2108 of 2609

Curved screens can also help with screen uniformity and some gain screens.  That whole angle of incidence = angle of reflection thingsmile.gif

post #2109 of 2609
Can anyone on the thread comment on the Glacier White? I don't have my projector yet (HW50ES) but received samples from Seymour. I am quite impressed with the quality and thickness of the glacier white. I have Definitive bipolar speakers and like the idea of AT screen even though my speakers would be in front of the screen, but it is not a necessity at all. After getting samples of both the XD and glacier white, I just like the look and feel of the glacier white better. I would like to know how the glacier whtie compares to the Carada BW and Screen Innovations Solar HD. I am under the impression that the SI screen may have the best measured gain of all of them. Can anyone comment? I am getting the feeling the Glacier White may be too new to get good feedback. As I mentioned on another forum, I really like the option that Seymour offers with the masking panels. To me, this may offer as much benefit as a higher gain screen with respect to relative contrast. Thanks for any comments...
post #2110 of 2609
Gain wise increases from Glacier White to Carada Brilliant White to SI Solar 4K. If you would like to discuss matching your projector with a screen, give us a call.
Reply
Reply
post #2111 of 2609
Since screen excellence is now a part of seymour I figured I'd asked my question here since I couldn't find a screen excellence thread..

Is there any good frame build-thread for the screen excellence craftsman kit?
post #2112 of 2609
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGmouthinDC View Post

Hey I put that screen together and my impression was the frame was great, and I was amazed that the grommets and positioning resulted in perfect tension. no ripples and not too tight that it would deform the curve. Great job Chris. Anyone considering a 12 ft wide curved screen in a 13 ft wide room you need to think about where you are going to put it together.

Wow.. this is exactly the size of my room.. about 13 feet wide and i am thinking of doing a 12ft curved 16:9 screen.

Any ideas how to DIY the screen?
post #2113 of 2609
Another happy Seymour-SE customer................140" 2.37 4k screen.

Question though............I had the screen prepped for panels..............but..........where in the heck do you attach them?

post #2114 of 2609

I also mounted my 140" EN4K curved screen today.  This thing is top notch.  The panels are magnetic and just snap into place.  The magnets are very strong, so you won't have to worry about them falling or moving.  The panels are labeled left and right on the back.

 

 

 

 

 

 

Sorry, not the best pictures, but you can get an idea of what they look like.  With the screen wash lights on, they look lighter.  My theater isn't quite done yet, but with a movie playing those lights would be off and they look black.

 

I love everything about my screen so far.  The only thing I can find to pick on is the velvet on my masking panels is very wrinkly.  The wrinkles are really big.  I would have thought they would have put as much effort into the panels as the main screen frame.  Not a big deal.  It won't impact image quality at all, but I was just a bit surprised when I saw them.

post #2115 of 2609
i know.using a Prismasonic H1400 FE anamorphic lens to stretch my 2.37 movies.thanks for your sharing
10.gif
post #2116 of 2609
Quote:
Originally Posted by spuj View Post

Since screen excellence is now a part of seymour I figured I'd asked my question here since I couldn't find a screen excellence thread..

Is there any good frame build-thread for the screen excellence craftsman kit?

We don't sell the Craftsman kit here in the US. The reason is we got more aggressive with the pricing since they're now made here in the US and we cut out the import distributor. With smaller frame options we can nearly hit the craftsman price points while still using lovely aluminum. You can also ping AVS (Mike) here, as he has hands-on experience with them.

Cheers,
Chris
post #2117 of 2609
Saving my pennies for a SeymourAV economy 2.35:1 screen. I have everything but the screen and I'm currently watching my projector on the linacoustic black surface of my screen wall. It's amazing what you can get used to! I'm surprised at how bright the image still is on that black material and of course the contrast is great. I should really be wowed by an actual white screen once I get it!
post #2118 of 2609
Quote:
Originally Posted by dropzone7 View Post

Saving my pennies for a SeymourAV economy 2.35:1 screen. I have everything but the screen and I'm currently watching my projector on the linacoustic black surface of my screen wall. It's amazing what you can get used to! I'm surprised at how bright the image still is on that black material and of course the contrast is great. I should really be wowed by an actual white screen once I get it!

Buy some maple boards and the Centerstage XD material and make your own screen! That will save the most money. That is exactly what I did and it worked great. You'll only need an uphostry stapler and basic woodworking tools. A heck of a lot cheaper than buying a pre-made screen. I think I have less than $500 in my 124" wide 2.40:1 screen and that is including the Protostar blackout material for the borders. Just an FYI.

I am a super satisfied Seymore customer. Great product and great service.
post #2119 of 2609
Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoSport View Post

Buy some maple boards and the Centerstage XD material and make your own screen! That will save the most money. That is exactly what I did and it worked great. You'll only need an uphostry stapler and basic woodworking tools. A heck of a lot cheaper than buying a pre-made screen. I think I have less than $500 in my 124" wide 2.40:1 screen and that is including the Protostar blackout material for the borders. Just an FYI.

I am a super satisfied Seymore customer. Great product and great service.
You mean you just pull the screen material to the frame and stapled it?
Will it sag over time?
post #2120 of 2609
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skylinestar View Post

You mean you just pull the screen material to the frame and stapled it?
Will it sag over time?

Not a chance. The material is not nearly as "stretchy" as I thought it would be and I between stretching it as tight as my hands would take and stapling it staple next to staple (all the way around on the back of the frame)...it's pretty taught. I was a little concerned that the center portion of the frame would bow in when I stretched the Centerstage XD, so I split the screen width into 1/3's and installed verticle bracing at the 1/3 marks. I also (being overly cautious) didn't want to worry about the bracing boards touching the material and maybe causing a bulge, so I ran those boards through a thickness planner and took an 1/8" off of them so there would be 1/8" air gap from the braces to the back side of the Centerstage XD material. (the braces were flush on the rear of the frame). Painted the frame black before the material, as well. Don't know if that was needed...but again.. I dream up worse case .....

For the borders I used a long, straight 1x4 and milled a very slight bevel on the screen side and a rabbit joint right behind that bevel on the back side. Covered the frame boards with ProtoStar telescope flocking material (self adheasive and really BLACK) and attached these top and bottom borders using approrietely sized "cleat" boards (small scrap) screwed to the screen frame and then to the borders. Then the whole thing was placed in the hole framed out for this screen design and secured in place. 4 screws and I can take the screen out, but won't need to unless my SVS PC Ultra13 subwoffer dies.

I did not border the sides, because the plan is to build a motorized masking system and the side borders will be connected to that and not physically touching the screen.

There are a few pictures of my screen build in my thread (see signature for link)
post #2121 of 2609
For those of you that got the economy frame and haven't been impressed with the tightness of the frame cuts, we now include as standard a set of custom black foam joint gaskets. S-E used to do that with their frames before we tucked the velvet into the cut, so we simply cut the S-AV economy frame's profiles likewise. It's a thin black squishy foam that will eat up any gap or nonuniformities in the joint. They come as a set of six. Contact Jon, jon.seymourav@gmail.com or 515-268-3369, and give him the name the screen was ordered from so he can look up your order and mail you out a set.

Cheers,
Chris
post #2122 of 2609
Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoSport View Post

Not a chance.

+1

My going on 5 years old DIY 115" wide 2.35 screen is still looking great...
post #2123 of 2609
I was starting to think that Alzheimers had kicked in early.thank you mnBu
post #2124 of 2609
I am really confused lol! Which Seymour website is the correct one?
www.seymourscreenexcellence.com
www.seymourav.com

Where can I find info on the centerstage XD Fixed scope screens?
post #2125 of 2609
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian1080P View Post

Where can I find info on the centerstage XD Fixed scope screens?

http://www.seymourav.com/screensfixed.asp
post #2126 of 2609
Quick install question, does Seymour XD have a front and a back or can I install it either side facing the projector?
post #2127 of 2609
There is no front or backside to the DX screen material. Carefully inspect both sides and mount it with the better side facing the projector.

-- Bill --
post #2128 of 2609
Quote:
Originally Posted by rx-8 View Post

There is no front or backside to the DX screen material. Carefully inspect both sides and mount it with the better side facing the projector.

-- Bill --

Thanks!
The screen wall mods are takin longer than I thought but I'm hoping to build and mount the screen today and I just noticed that one side has some dirt on it.
post #2129 of 2609
Quote:
Originally Posted by Expat444 View Post

Quick install question, does Seymour XD have a front and a back or can I install it either side facing the projector?

We recommend the inside surface of the roll, as that's the side that's inspected for blemishes. Both sides spec the same, so if you happen to prefer the outer surface you can use it. The inside texture pattern is what's designed for use in retractables, so for your fixed frame screen it doesn't matter.

Cheers,
Chris
post #2130 of 2609
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skylinestar View Post

You mean you just pull the screen material to the frame and stapled it?
Will it sag over time?

The screen won't sag but if you are building a wood frame their is a good chance that the frame will shrink causing a sag in the screen. The larger the screen the bigger the chance, I had to restretch mine after about 6 months, been good since then.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Screens
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › Screens › The official SeymourAV center stage screen thread!