or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › Plasma Flat Panel Displays › Panasonic 42pz700, 50pz700u, 50pz750u, 58pz700u and 58pz750u Owners Thread!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Panasonic 42pz700, 50pz700u, 50pz750u, 58pz700u and 58pz750u Owners Thread! - Page 3

post #61 of 10937
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbiggs32 View Post

I'm hoping the greyscale is a touch better on the 750u, as this black crush is a bit LCD-ish.

not locked into the 700u? am assuming you are referring to the 700u....not able to tweak our the black crush w/o degrading overall PQ?
AVS
or Connect
syntax error at end of input

There Seems to be a Problem

We're sorry, but there's been an error in our system, and we can't complete your request. Please report this error to us, using our feedback system. Thanks!

post #62 of 10937
hey all,

have the 700u. posted earlier (first page) with my initial impressions. it just keeps getting better! dialing stuff in is easy (and i don't even have the avia disc yet) i can't recomend this model enough. i was one of those a-hole shoppers that kept returning things i didn't feel were perfect (ocd probably had something to do with it too). lets just say this tv is NOT going back.

as for buying suggestions..get the 700 and use the 500 bucks for speakers or a harmony remote or flowers for your wife for a year.

as for the tv itself.

blacks...sets the bar from what i've seen. not sure how to exlain it except they look very clean.

colors...spot on. you cn blow them out like an lcd if you prefer. for me i like it more subdued. they're more true to life than anything i've seen. planet earth on blu-ray is stupid!

ps3 on it will probably ruin my marriage.

1080p...i've got a small room so i'm about 8 feet from the set. can see the difference from 720p without the slightest question. (side note - if you've got a small room the yamaha ysp-1100 sound bar is amazing)

glare...a little but the slightest tilt on the wall mount takes it right out.

blu-ray...ummmm....weep.

jaggies...nope.

sd...yep.

conclusion...i know it may sound stupid, but it's really nice to spend 3k and realize you've got something you can use for use for years and your not getting screwed waiting for the industry the catch up with your needs.
post #63 of 10937
When it comes to image processing, I suspect the difference is purely in firmware. Wonder if loading 750's firmware onto 700 will unlock the extra features. Anyone is willing to try?

It's a similar thing as the difference between 75u and 77u. They got the same anti-reflective coating, but it's not advertised on 75u. I am 95% positive about it, since I used to own Samsung 4273 with anti-reflective screen which has anti-reflective properties very similar to 75u, definitely not as a regular plasma glass. Now, there is no way to "hide" a non-advertised anti-reflective coating with a firmware, or Panasonic would do it

Quote:
Originally Posted by John P Carroll View Post

Afirm...just not sure if the difference will be worth it. Waiting on a "side by side" report like the rest of us...

Wondering if the 700 will be able to acheive the same quality through tweaks or Avia adjustments. Tnx, jc
post #64 of 10937
Mines being delivered by best buy in the morning.

Lastmonkey, could you post what settings you are using?

That goes for the rest of you as well !!! heh

Considering this is an owners thread, I am a bit disappointed with the lack of information coming from them I guess they are too in love with the screens to post.
post #65 of 10937
Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyWalters View Post

This thread would be easier to spot if it were simplified thusly:

Official Panasonic PZ700U / PZ750U Owners Thread!


I agree.
OP or Moderator, please edit.
post #66 of 10937
is there any sort of coupon code for visual apex?? A member recently bought from there and i was thinking of getting the 50pz700u from there also.
post #67 of 10937
I managed to get the last Samsung 1200 Blue Ray in the store. Hooked up to the 50PZ700U with no issues. However, I found out later it needs HDMI cable to do 1080p (I thought I would be fine with my component video), so I only was able to see 1080i. I was turned off by the "Gotta get Monster Cable" blather from the pushers at "Circus City". I'm not sure about the value in these expensive cables. It may only just make them monster profits.

I'll need to get the proper HDMI cable, but I'd like to research it first so I get what I really need.

The 1080i picture quality was like 480p, but with much, much more detail apparent. No non-linearities in colors, lines, or shapes can be seen. Some of the oceans wave scenes in "The Guardian" - I have not experienced such clear images like this anywhere. I'm sitting 10-11 feet away. The life raft way out in the ocean on a scene about 20 minutes into the movie was another stunner - I could see many details in the raft in the background while seeing all the ocean spray, foam, and droplets flying in the foreground. This must be a huge challenge to compress-decompress-display all this without much digital artifacts. I really appreciate the work and engineering that went into this display (as well as the Blue Ray system).

In my opinion, these 1080i images on the 50PZ700u I am seeing are already better than theater film.

Next week, I'll have someone who is used to last year's Panasonic Plasmas take a look. I'll let people know their opinions as most the stores still don't have a display model to compare (and assuming they know how to hook it up properly to a good source). Hopefully, by then, I'll have a HDMI cable and get it into 1080p.

-Crackers
post #68 of 10937
crackers, dont worry the th50pz700u should take that 1080i signal and display it properly as 1080p.

for cables try monoprice.com, they have good solid well built cables for excellent prices and fast shipping.
post #69 of 10937
I am considering purchasing the 700u model, after having an unsuccesful foray into Hi-Def tv's via LCDS. I purchased the 4665 Sammy, which resulted in clouding/flashlighting/bright pillars on my first one. I returned it to be greeted by a no clouding/flashlighting/ tv but the bright pillars were even worse on the first one. So bad I could actually still see them with brightness set to 0, and backlight at 0! So I decided one last time to give the 4665 model a shot. This one had a flashlight in the top left, along with the bright pillars. Oh did I mention the black crush..it was horrible. Yet I still gave LCDs one last shot with the 4661. Seemed people hadn't had too many problems on that model, yet it still had the bright pillars, along with clouding, yet the black crush wasn't as bad as the 65. Im not even gonna try a Sony or Sharp LCD as they have their own problems..

So here I am contemplating a Plasma. Im aware burn-in isn't as serious as an issue as it used to be, but I tend to play vid games for at least 3-5 hours at a time. I would also like to use the tv as a pc monitor at times with pc activities ranging from 3-5 hours as well.

After breaking in the plasma, should I expect to have any problems with burn in if I stick to the time range I mentioned?
post #70 of 10937
dssturbo-1 Thanks very much - I ordered a few cables and avoided the 10x markup in price. I'll need 1 or 2 more for Tivo or other devices.

I didn't have the 3:2 pulldown turned on which I think is needed convert a 1080i "film" 24 fps to a 1080p. When I turned it on, I can tell a difference. It's smoother in some shots.

The only noise I see is film noise (grains) especially in dim lighting scenes. I can't really see any digital noise unless 1) I press pause, 2) get within 6 feet, and 3) have a particularly difficult frame to show.

Overall, it's real eye candy! With this quality becoming within reach of more consumers, it's really going to be interesting. Now, where did I put those phone numbers.....
post #71 of 10937
Great reviews guys!

dave_coulier im with you....so sick of the NEW Samsung LCD issues. Im on my 2nd myself.

I currently own a Samsung LCD 5265 it is going back and im getting the 58PZ700-U. I simply cant wait for this bad boy!
post #72 of 10937
I was wondering if anyone else has tried xbox360 on the 700u. I can only get a 1080i picture through component. Would VGA get me 1080p or do I have to get the elite and use HDMI for 1080p?
post #73 of 10937
just had my 50pz700u delivered this morning. First off let me say that I am a current 9uk owner as well. I sit roughly 7 ft from the display as well.

1. WOW! HDTV is way better with this 1080p set than my 9uk. I never dreamed it would be this big a difference.

2. ps3 via hdmi at 1080p is amazing.

3. Will test 360 via vga to see if it takes 1080p..if not the elite will be hooked via hdmi.

4. nvidea based video card in Vista HTPC. Booted and hit F8 to bring up Vista Safe mode menu. Selected low color option which resets your video settings so you can get into windows to setup correctly with new display. DVI - HDMI cable was use with hdmi 2 o Panny. Once I logged in, selected 1920x1080p and answered yes. Overscan was there so used the remote to select HD Size 2. Perfect 1:1 with 0 overscan. WOOOOO HOOOOO! amazingly clear.

5. Havent found and screensaver settings yet. But havent looked hard. I really liked the 9uk screensaver to protect against burnin as I use my pc a ton. Never had any issues on the 9uk as pc images would fade away after watching tv or a movie. Or by running scrensaver during the night.

will post again after test of 360. So far very impressed with the umph the colors have during the day in my fairly light condo.
post #74 of 10937
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norse View Post

4. nvidea based video card in Vista HTPC. Booted and hit F8 to bring up Vista Safe mode menu. Selected low color option which resets your video settings so you can get into windows to setup correctly with new display. DVI - HDMI cable was use with hdmi 2 o Panny. Once I logged in, selected 1920x1080p and answered yes. Overscan was there so used the remote to select HD Size 2. Perfect 1:1 with 0 overscan. WOOOOO HOOOOO! amazingly clear.

This is absolutely AMAZING NEWS!!!! Thanks!
post #75 of 10937
Quote:
Originally Posted by aquafire View Post

Great reviews guys!

dave_coulier im with you....so sick of the NEW Samsung LCD issues. Im on my 2nd myself.

I currently own a Samsung LCD 5265 it is going back and im getting the 58PZ700-U. I simply cant wait for this bad boy!

Dave_coulier and aquafire, same boat has you. Tried to post in the 4665 forum, but I was some kind of mental defficient according to people because I did find black crush and Pillar were annoying. I will be glad to know your opinion on it!! Only concern is my room is bright, but I don't care loosing a little black detail in the day, cause I'm sure it would be better than the 4665 (right?)

I'm looking forward to get news from this screen!! I live in canada, but some stores already have orders.

Anyone future owners in canada? I would like to discuss price, as I've seen one of the shop cost (Will be easier to bargain a little!!)
post #76 of 10937
Finally, a 9UK owner!

1) How does SD compare (DVD SAT, DTV)?

2) How does the color compare (skin tones, etc)?

Congrats

bob


Quote:
Originally Posted by Norse View Post

just had my 50pz700u delivered this morning. First off let me say that I am a current 9uk owner as well. I sit roughly 7 ft from the display as well.

1. WOW! HDTV is way better with this 1080p set than my 9uk. I never dreamed it would be this big a difference.

2. ps3 via hdmi at 1080p is amazing.

3. Will test 360 via vga to see if it takes 1080p..if not the elite will be hooked via hdmi.

4. nvidea based video card in Vista HTPC. Booted and hit F8 to bring up Vista Safe mode menu. Selected low color option which resets your video settings so you can get into windows to setup correctly with new display. DVI - HDMI cable was use with hdmi 2 o Panny. Once I logged in, selected 1920x1080p and answered yes. Overscan was there so used the remote to select HD Size 2. Perfect 1:1 with 0 overscan. WOOOOO HOOOOO! amazingly clear.

5. Havent found and screensaver settings yet. But havent looked hard. I really liked the 9uk screensaver to protect against burnin as I use my pc a ton. Never had any issues on the 9uk as pc images would fade away after watching tv or a movie. Or by running scrensaver during the night.

will post again after test of 360. So far very impressed with the umph the colors have during the day in my fairly light condo.
post #77 of 10937
Quote:
Originally Posted by spongebob View Post

Finally, a 9UK owner!

1) How does SD compare (DVD SAT, DTV)?

2) How does the color compare (skin tones, etc)?

Congrats

bob


ok, I havent dialed anything in yet, just cinma mode from vivid out of box. Comparison to 9uk will come after some fine tuning later today or this week. But I will say that sitting 7 foot from tv, everything just has more oomph. HDTV looks amazing. SD looks better on the pz700u but that ay just be the oomph of the colors. Wont know for sure till adjusted with avia or another dvd. Skin tones are fine. Again, havent adjusted so nothing is finalized.

xbox 360 owners may be upset to know that 1080p is only working via hdmi. VGA tests I did were very bad. 1280x720 and 1366x768 both were out of whack. 1080p using component was selectable but gave no picture.

*** after using vga dapter, be sure to set your 360 to output 720 or component wont give picture whn you change back. Thankfully the video settings on 360 are on lat blade so I change res blind with component to get my picture back. I am really bummed that component wont take 1080p signal.

- I dont not see a screensaver in the menu sysem. This worries me as I use my pc alot. Hopefully its in the service menu. If someone finds it let me know.

For all you samsung/sharp/etc LCD owners looking for a bandless, evenly lit beautifu picture, this panny is da bomb!!!!

Also, 1 last thing. This plasma looks 1000 times better in your home than at best buy. Holy cow the picture is awesome.

Time for American Chopper in HD of course. hehe
post #78 of 10937
Quote:
Originally Posted by dssturbo1 View Post

crackers, dont worry the th50pz700u should take that 1080i signal and display it properly as 1080p.

for cables try monoprice.com, they have good solid well built cables for excellent prices and fast shipping.

Check out Blue Jeans Cable. You can find very good info on HDMI/DVI ect they may be a little pricer however I do believe you get a cable that is of broadcast quality.....others believe a cable is a cable. Keep up posted I just ordered my also.
post #79 of 10937
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xuivo View Post

Dave_coulier and aquafire, same boat has you. Tried to post in the 4665 forum, but I was some kind of mental defficient according to people because I did find black crush and Pillar were annoying. I will be glad to know your opinion on it!! Only concern is my room is bright, but I don't care loosing a little black detail in the day, cause I'm sure it would be better than the 4665 (right?)

I'm looking forward to get news from this screen!! I live in canada, but some stores already have orders.

Anyone future owners in canada? I would like to discuss price, as I've seen one of the shop cost (Will be easier to bargain a little!!)

I followed the same Sammy xxx6x also for several months and they were putting up with much more than I would plus it was 'scary'....Migrated to the PIO xx70's site and was about to pull the plug and order when I noticed a 1080p thru EPP priced attractively. Am looking forward to hearing more input from the x Samsters.
post #80 of 10937
Anyone determine if his model is HDMI 1.3?
post #81 of 10937
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norse View Post


xbox 360 owners may be upset to know that 1080p is only working via hdmi. VGA tests I did were very bad. 1280x720 and 1366x768 both were out of whack. 1080p using component was selectable but gave no picture.

This tv won't accept 1080p via component or vga with the 360? This seems wrong, can anyone confirm Norse's findings?
post #82 of 10937
Hi,

I'm looking to buy this TV (PZ700U) but I also noticed there was a PZ750U.

I wanted to ask if there were any noticeable differences between the two. Secondly, which would be the better option to get? As anyone got it with the CAB? Does it look nice? If anyone has one, could you please post pictures?

I'm no expert in TVs; I'm a bit of a newbie, so please make all information sound all user friendly as possible!

A couple of questions:
- Should I be worried about burn-in?
- SD quality. Is it any good? How does it compare to CRT?
- Glare/Reflections. What is the AR coating like. Is it any good?

Thanks in advance.
post #83 of 10937
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dry Bones View Post

This tv won't accept 1080p via component or vga with the 360? This seems wrong, can anyone confirm Norse's findings?

This isn't really surprising. This is exactly what the chart in the manual that was posted a while back stated. Component will do 720p or 1080i, VGA won't do 1080p. What I would like to know is how does 360 look in 720p or 1080i? Which setting appears clearer?

Eventually, I will probably upgrade to an Elite but for now I am curious how it looks over component.
post #84 of 10937
Quote:
Originally Posted by valoidr View Post

Anyone determine if his model is HDMI 1.3?

HD Guru says it does.
post #85 of 10937
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dry Bones View Post

This tv won't accept 1080p via component or vga with the 360? This seems wrong, can anyone confirm Norse's findings?


today is the xbox dashboard update so hopefully they tweek the vga part again..seems panny plasmas push the screen to the left when hooked up via vga at higher resolutions. And I could have sworn 1080p via component worked on my 9uk. /shrug
post #86 of 10937
Quote:
Originally Posted by santori_time View Post

This isn't really surprising. This is exactly what the chart in the manual that was posted a while back stated. Component will do 720p or 1080i, VGA won't do 1080p. What I would like to know is how does 360 look in 720p or 1080i? Which setting appears clearer?

Eventually, I will probably upgrade to an Elite but for now I am curious how it looks over component.


It looks awesome at 1080i via component. Also, the hd dvd player can be output at 1080p with the hdmi on the elite. Awesome picture I may add.


Any owners have any setting the are using yet?
post #87 of 10937
Quote:
Originally Posted by santori_time View Post

This isn't really surprising. This is exactly what the chart in the manual that was posted a while back stated. Component will do 720p or 1080i, VGA won't do 1080p. What I would like to know is how does 360 look in 720p or 1080i? Which setting appears clearer?

Eventually, I will probably upgrade to an Elite but for now I am curious how it looks over component.


Hey Santori, what manual? for the 360, or for the panny? If it is the panny isn't it odd that on a new 1080p plasma this generation, the component and vga won't accept a 1080p signal?
post #88 of 10937
Quote:
Originally Posted by lastmonkey View Post

1080p...i've got a small room so i'm about 8 feet from the set. can see the difference from 720p without the slightest question.

Come on man, get with the program. Don't you read all the resolution charts. If you did you would know that this is impossible and 1080 is a complete waste of money .



ron
post #89 of 10937
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dry Bones View Post

Hey Santori, what manual? for the 360, or for the panny? If it is the panny isn't it odd that on a new 1080p plasma this generation, the component and vga won't accept a 1080p signal?

Very odd, and very lame if true. Especially considering how Panny cheaped out and only put 2 HDMI connections on the TV.
post #90 of 10937
Quote:
Originally Posted by skyehill View Post

Very odd, and very lame if true. Especially considering how Panny cheaped out and only put 2 HDMI connections on the TV.

Exactly, apparently they want us to buy the 750.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Plasma Flat Panel Displays
AVS
or Connect
syntax error at end of input

There Seems to be a Problem

We're sorry, but there's been an error in our system, and we can't complete your request. Please report this error to us, using our feedback system. Thanks!

AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › Plasma Flat Panel Displays › Panasonic 42pz700, 50pz700u, 50pz750u, 58pz700u and 58pz750u Owners Thread!