or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › Plasma Flat Panel Displays › Panasonic 42pz700, 50pz700u, 50pz750u, 58pz700u and 58pz750u Owners Thread!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Panasonic 42pz700, 50pz700u, 50pz750u, 58pz700u and 58pz750u Owners Thread! - Page 315

post #9421 of 10937
Quote:
Originally Posted by kagolu View Post

Hey to call us all bitches is offensive to bitches But with that said I have no idea what I could doing wrong. The house is wired properly and I didn't turn on the power till everything was hooked up.

People do win the lottery.. Megabucks, etc where the odds are even smaller by a long shot! It can happen!

Haven't been taking them home laying down horizontally have you by any chance?
AVS
or Connect
syntax error at end of input

There Seems to be a Problem

We're sorry, but there's been an error in our system, and we can't complete your request. Please report this error to us, using our feedback system. Thanks!

post #9422 of 10937
Quote:
Originally Posted by seemenewd View Post

People do win the lottery.. Megabucks, etc where the odds are even smaller by a long shot! It can happen!

Haven't been taking them home laying down horizontally have you by any chance?

Nope slid them it in back of the truck upright. I do wish I had taken pics of the different serial #'s and different pixels to lend some support to this fantastic lottery I won though. I will post some this tv later. I will also post what tech writes up as well Monday. That would probably be good enough in a court of law, not sure about the 700u court thread though. But then again I'm not a lawyer. So what I do I know.
post #9423 of 10937
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post

I wasn't implying the PE model was any less of a quality plasma then the PZ, simply that if you're returning a "brand new" set, then I would imagine it cannot be sold as "brand new" again, rather it must be sold as "open box" at a discount from their regular price. I stand by Panasonic and Costco, especially on their return policy.

I have the Costco 50" 700U and it's a great set. Costco also has a 90 day return policy...no questions asked and they double the Panasonic warranty.
post #9424 of 10937
Quote:
Originally Posted by kagolu View Post

Just exchanged for my third and final 50pe700u. The first had stuck/bad pixels 6 to be exact, the second had two, and (drum roll) the third has 3. They are really visible on a blue or white screen.

I have also noticed a big difference, which I didn't realize until last night, in the number OTA channels I receive between each set. All of which leads me to believe they may have some QC issues with this model.

I finally contacted Panasonic and I'm going have a tech come out since they said this was not normal. I'm giving them a shot to see what they say since I still have approx 45 days to return it and say goodbye to Panasonic which would be difficult and I absolutely love the tv otherwise and not sure what else I'd buy. I did tons of research and and everything pointed me here. I didn' even think it was possible to have bad/stuck pixels on plasma.

I also must say I am impressed but Costco. I actually joined to buy/order this tv on sale and they have been terrific, Will defiantley buy again form them. If they will sell to me

Just in case in anybody is interested the first tv came from California with a build date of Nov., the second I got here in Orlando with a build date in Oct. and the third I got last night here in Orlando with build date in Dec.

Its been about 15 years since had stats in college but I believe that is pretty good sampling and what tells me what I could expect if was actually motivated to exchange it again. If I could find it, I think Costco is almost out of these.

You're NOT the only one. I have 50pz700u and have three pixel problems I didn't see until I viewed with this download burned to DVD.
http://www.eaprogramming.com/downloa...nload_main.htm

A search on this forum for dead pixels reveals plenty of people had/have them. My set came from CC in Sebring Fl build May/07.

1st - 1 inch or so in from left side, pixel is dark and does not work under any color and when viewed from an angle makes it appear more like a quarter inch line but is actually one pixel.

2nd – dead center of screen but is not as dark as the 1st and what is noticed more is looking at an angle it almost appears there is a scratch or smear on the outer sheet of glass, very hard to tell and to see. I actually wondered if someone building it might actually have put something on the layer of glass to hide the defective pixel because that's what it looks like.

3rd – Right side about 1/4th of the way in only dead when the screen is blue, works on colors other than blue.


None of them can be seen from a distance and I never saw them even when looking for dead pixels while a regular program was on, only spotted them on the solid color DVD as mentioned above. I do see them under all situations now however since I know where they are, it's not the dvd or source. I assume there are owners who don't even realize they have dead pixels if they haven't used the test disk. I wish I had sooner, not sure what I'll do. I can't see it from more than 5 feet or so back, but just knowing they are there bothers me and I find myself looking for them when watching a show.
post #9425 of 10937
Quote:
Originally Posted by kagolu View Post

Would you keep a similar problem when you bought an old CRT ( I know, different technology)?? I wouldn't, so why would I keep it something that costs 10 times as much. I'm looking for suggestions on what I'm doing wrong and what I could do to cause this.

Whether I kept it would depend on whether it was noticable from normal viewing distance. If not, I would weigh how much hassel would be involved in returning the set because I could see it up close. Clearly it's a personal choice as long as the vendor is willing to replace it. Panasonic considers a small number of dead pixels as okay and as I said, probably better than 85% of plasma owners have never heard of a "break-in" disk or even dead pixels for that matter. What they have heard about is "burn-in" which is generally asked about most often, and yet is no longer an issue with todays plasmas for the most part.

As far as something going on at your end, I was thinking more spiritually rather than electrical, although setting up the TV away from your HT setup probably wouldn't hurt if you can do that. I would liken your situation to the golfer who concentrates so hard on NOT hitting into the water hazard that he generally does in fact to that very thing.
post #9426 of 10937
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post

As far as something going on at your end, I was thinking more spiritually rather than electrical

Well there you go Kagolu. Just ask for Divine intervention.
post #9427 of 10937
Quote:
Originally Posted by FarmDog2 View Post

A search on this forum for dead pixels reveals plenty of people had/have them.

Yes there have been a few, although in virtually every case they were only found AFTER the poster used the "break-in" DVD and not visible from normal viewing distance. So lesson learned is don't use the "break-in" DVD (Discovery HD will work just as well) and you won't find any dead pixels.

Bottom line as many folks have said before, regardless of what you paid for your set, if you can't see any video distortion from your normal viewing distance, why should it matter if there are a few dead pixels? I'm sure it's not the first thing you've bought that had some imperfections that you decided to live with.
post #9428 of 10937
How close are peoples blacks to the bezel in a completely dark room if the bezel is 100% black?

I'm curious what others are getting on their PZ700's.

Mine is as follows:

HDTV: 60-65%
Standard DVD: 50%

I see so many people saying their blacks are as black as their bezel and I don't know how they are achieving it since the display isn't even as black as the bezel when off. I'm coming from a CRT and so far I am quite disappointed in my blacks. In bright scenes, it is phenominal and blacks do look great when surrounded by a bright scene, but when the whole scene is dark, it has a smokey appearance rather than a true black.

I have calibrated the tv to death using DVE among other tools. J just can't seem to get it any darker without introducing black crush.

How do the blacks compare to the blacks of a Pioneer?
post #9429 of 10937
Quote:
Originally Posted by kagolu View Post

Nope slid them it in back of the truck upright. I do wish I had taken pics of the different serial #'s and different pixels to lend some support to this fantastic lottery I won though. I will post some this tv later. I will also post what tech writes up as well Monday. That would probably be good enough in a court of law, not sure about the 700u court thread though. But then again I'm not a lawyer. So what I do I know.

I hope your luck doesnt rub off on me . My panel is fine, and I hope it continues
post #9430 of 10937
I could be wrong here, but I heard that the Avia disc is a joke. I had my own settings for this TV but I came across these at www.tweaktv.com . I was really trying to figure out if these were legit and then I read the bios of the guys that put this data together. It looks pretty hard core. Make me also feel like I need a home calibration which could be kind of scary. They have a pull down section with hundreds of TV's.
Picture Settings
Picture (Contrast) : 15
Brightness : +3
Color : 0
Tint : -2
Sharpness : 0
post #9431 of 10937
Quote:
Originally Posted by gedalneil View Post

I could be wrong here, but I heard that the Avia disc is a joke. I had my own settings for this TV but I came across these at www.tweaktv.com . I was really trying to figure out if these were legit and then I read the bios of the guys that put this data together. It looks pretty hard core. Make me also feel like I need a home calibration which could be kind of scary. They have a pull down section with hundreds of TV's.
Picture Settings
Picture (Contrast) : 15
Brightness : +3
Color : 0
Tint : -2
Sharpness : 0

If Avia is a joke then so is that site, not that I'm saying either one is. One set of settings isn't going to work for everyone's viewing environment. I appreciate what they're trying to do with that, but calibrating the set yourself with Avia or something else should give you better results for your particular setup.
post #9432 of 10937
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluemark81 View Post

How close are peoples blacks to the bezel in a completely dark room if the bezel is 100% black?

I'm curious what others are getting on their PZ700's.

Mine is as follows:

HDTV: 60-65%
Standard DVD: 50%

I see so many people saying their blacks are as black as their bezel and I don't know how they are achieving it since the display isn't even as black as the bezel when off. I'm coming from a CRT and so far I am quite disappointed in my blacks. In bright scenes, it is phenominal and blacks do look great when surrounded by a bright scene, but when the whole scene is dark, it has a smokey appearance rather than a true black.

I have calibrated the tv to death using DVE among other tools. J just can't seem to get it any darker without introducing black crush.

How do the blacks compare to the blacks of a Pioneer?

Having some type of bias lighting (for me, just a very dimmed overhead light) definitely improves the look of blacks...in a totally dark room, the blacks are less impressive...however, while I know they're actually not, the blacks can appear as dark as the bezel...for example, on the informational graphics on ESPN HD and the some content on MusicHD.

Meanwhile, do you get Universal HD..."2001: A Space Odyssey" is currently on...Are you kidding me?...this 1968 movie has NEVER ever looked this good...with this film specifically, my CRT was not even close to the 700U's stunning PQ...and this TV is 50".

Pioneers are known for their drippy inky blacks...Panasonics are known for their value/performance and overall impressive PQ...this is no secret.
post #9433 of 10937
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluemark81 View Post

How close are peoples blacks to the bezel in a completely dark room if the bezel is 100% black?

I don't know about you, but when I'm in a completely dark room I can't see anything, so sure...the blacks are as black as the bezel.
post #9434 of 10937
Sooo Chris...
If you can't see anything, how do you know where you are?
And where is that dang TV?
post #9435 of 10937
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluemark81 View Post

How close are peoples blacks to the bezel in a completely dark room if the bezel is 100% black?...

My blacks "ppear" to get that deep as well, the problem is, it does it when I don't want it too. As stated (I made a few posts about this) when content is of "well-lit" black objects, they look great. But when the light source becomes dim, all kinds of detail is lost.

If anyone has HDNet, and catches the preview show with HellBoy 2, when the evil guy is holding what looks to be a heart, does his hand and arm look all crushed out?

I also caught 2001 on Universal HD, and yeah, it was impressive.
post #9436 of 10937
,
Quote:
Originally Posted by FarmDog2 View Post

You're NOT the only one. I have 50pz700u and have three pixel problems I didn't see until I viewed with this download burned to DVD.
http://www.eaprogramming.com/downloa...nload_main.htm

A search on this forum for dead pixels reveals plenty of people had/have them. My set came from CC in Sebring Fl build May/07.

1st - 1 inch or so in from left side, pixel is dark and does not work under any color and when viewed from an angle makes it appear more like a quarter inch line but is actually one pixel.

2nd – dead center of screen but is not as dark as the 1st and what is noticed more is looking at an angle it almost appears there is a scratch or smear on the outer sheet of glass, very hard to tell and to see. I actually wondered if someone building it might actually have put something on the layer of glass to hide the defective pixel because that's what it looks like.

3rd – Right side about 1/4th of the way in only dead when the screen is blue, works on colors other than blue.


None of them can be seen from a distance and I never saw them even when looking for dead pixels while a regular program was on, only spotted them on the solid color DVD as mentioned above. I do see them under all situations now however since I know where they are, it's not the dvd or source. I assume there are owners who don't even realize they have dead pixels if they haven't used the test disk. I wish I had sooner, not sure what I'll do. I can't see it from more than 5 feet or so back, but just knowing they are there bothers me and I find myself looking for them when watching a show.

Thanks for speaking up. Iwas starting to I was the only one. I posted few pics of my pixels, this is pixel repair dvd I was running. Still didn't work. I

I agree with you, I'm always gonna know they are there and I'always gonna look for them.
LL
LL
LL
LL
LL
post #9437 of 10937
I made an appt. to have my TV mounted and the wires run. I placed an order with Monoprice today (and LOL'd at the prices one guy was selling his HDMI cables for...like 2 or 3x the price I can get them for from Monoprice).

Question: Will an HDMI 1.3a cable work on the Panny 700U set? I know the Panny HDMI port is spec'd at 1.3. Just want to make sure I didn't make a mistake in ordering the cable since the Monoprice one said 1.3a.
post #9438 of 10937
I don't know if my new PE700U panny has any dead or stuck pixels. I haven't noticed any from normal viewing distance nor have I run any tests to determine if they do or not.

I'm kind of keeping my head in the sand on this one. I figure since I haven't noticed anything untoward then I shouldn't go looking for trouble.

I'm just so happy to have a real HD 1080p set and now an HD signal. I've grown very attached to my Panny and hope it's perfect.
post #9439 of 10937
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris0 View Post

I don't know about you, but when I'm in a completely dark room I can't see anything, so sure...the blacks are as black as the bezel.

The black levels aren't the same as the bezel, especially in a totally dark room. Maybe with a very bright picture on the screen it's hard to tell the difference, but with a dim scene the light black levels are pretty obvious.
post #9440 of 10937
Quote:
Originally Posted by LottaMoxie View Post

Question: Will an HDMI 1.3a cable work on the Panny 700U set? I know the Panny HDMI port is spec'd at 1.3. Just want to make sure I didn't make a mistake in ordering the cable since the Monoprice one said 1.3a.

Yes, probably. Even if a set is 1.2, a 1.3 cable will still work on it (anyway) so I think it's safe to say that cables and HDMI are made backward compatible. It'd be "heck" if they weren't (assuming "a" is newer than plain).

See little writeup here about 1.3 (plain) hdmi cables:

http://store.pchcables.com/hiqugoplce1h.html
post #9441 of 10937
Quote:
Originally Posted by yzzub View Post

Sooo Chris...
If you can't see anything, how do you know where you are?
And where is that dang TV?

Who said that? Is someone here? Hello?

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisherbert View Post

The black levels aren't the same as the bezel, especially in a totally dark room. Maybe with a very bright picture on the screen it's hard to tell the difference, but with a dim scene the light black levels are pretty obvious.

As yzzub figured out, I was kidding. In a "completely dark room" or a "totally dark room" there is no light, not even from the TV. If there was a very bright image on the TV, the room wouldn't be totally dark.
post #9442 of 10937
Quote:
Originally Posted by LottaMoxie View Post

Question: Will an HDMI 1.3a cable work on the Panny 700U set? I know the Panny HDMI port is spec'd at 1.3. Just want to make sure I didn't make a mistake in ordering the cable since the Monoprice one said 1.3a.

1.3a is a higher spec than 1.3, meaning that it's better than it needs to be, but I would think that your run would require a 9' or possibly a 12' HDMI cable, and I'd bet cold hard cash that any HDMI cable (non-defective, of course) of that length would give you the same picture quality.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LottaMoxie View Post

I figure since I haven't noticed anything untoward then I shouldn't go looking for trouble.

I'm just so happy to have a real HD 1080p set and now an HD signal. I've grown very attached to my Panny and hope it's perfect.

If you don't see it you won't see it. No reason to look for something wrong just to know there's something wrong.
post #9443 of 10937
Quote:
Originally Posted by FarmDog2 View Post

You're NOT the only one. I have 50pz700u and have three pixel problems I didn't see until I viewed with this download burned to DVD.
http://www.eaprogramming.com/downloa...nload_main.htm

A search on this forum for dead pixels reveals plenty of people had/have them. My set came from CC in Sebring Fl build May/07.

1st - 1 inch or so in from left side, pixel is dark and does not work under any color and when viewed from an angle makes it appear more like a quarter inch line but is actually one pixel.

2nd – dead center of screen but is not as dark as the 1st and what is noticed more is looking at an angle it almost appears there is a scratch or smear on the outer sheet of glass, very hard to tell and to see. I actually wondered if someone building it might actually have put something on the layer of glass to hide the defective pixel because that's what it looks like.

3rd – Right side about 1/4th of the way in only dead when the screen is blue, works on colors other than blue.


None of them can be seen from a distance and I never saw them even when looking for dead pixels while a regular program was on, only spotted them on the solid color DVD as mentioned above. I do see them under all situations now however since I know where they are, it's not the dvd or source. I assume there are owners who don't even realize they have dead pixels if they haven't used the test disk. I wish I had sooner, not sure what I'll do. I can't see it from more than 5 feet or so back, but just knowing they are there bothers me and I find myself looking for them when watching a show.

You should call or go to Panasonic online help chat. I was told it is something abnormal and which needs to looked at by a tech, especially if it is bothering you.
post #9444 of 10937
I'm not say everyone should go looking for stuck/bad pixels. If your happy with set then great, I'm actually jealous. I wasn't looking for them at first, didn't even know what they were at first. I just know I not going to be happy with a "abnormal" set. Panasonics word not mine.

I'll give them shot to fix it since I refuse to exchange it for my fourth set. If they can do with minor repair then terrific, I'll have a great tv that I really like, if not I'll keep it till mid April (need it for hoops and Masters) return it and hopefully Costco has some new 800/850's by then. If not I'll buy the next best thing and move on.

I'm kind of weird in the sense that if I'm going to buy one of the best things out there than I kind of expect it to not have any defects.
post #9445 of 10937
Considering that there are over 6 million individual cells in a 1080 panel, only 3 or 4 stuck or dead pixels is a remarkable achievement. I've seen them on a lot of displays from several manufacturers. If they're not visible under normal viewing contitions I don't obsess over them.

Some manufacturers have policies concerning how many bad pixels are acceptable. Even the god of all TVs, the mighty Kuro is susceptible.
post #9446 of 10937
Quote:
Originally Posted by kagolu View Post

,

Thanks for speaking up. Iwas starting to I was the only one. I posted few pics of my pixels, this is pixel repair dvd I was running. Still didn't work. I

I agree with you, I'm always gonna know they are there and I'always gonna look for them.

Dude, that sucks. If my set has dead or stuck pixels, I don't want ot know about it. Fortunately, I'm not planning on watching any programming with large colored squares.

P.S. Client No. 9 paid Kristen $1,000/per hour. I only need 15 mins, do you think Kristen'll prorate it and charge me $250?
post #9447 of 10937
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsskid View Post

If my set has dead or stuck pixels, I don't want ot know about it. Fortunately, I'm not planning on watching any programming with large colored squares.

Too funny. I think there's an overwhelming majority that would agree with you.
post #9448 of 10937
As you guys are happy with them, I'm happy for you. Just hope you bought one of my repacked returns for a few hundred less you were talking about.
post #9449 of 10937
Quote:
Originally Posted by kagolu View Post

As you guys are happy with them, I'm happy for you. Just hope you bought one of my repacked returns for a few hundred less you were talking about.

Nope. We got the "real" solid 20lb PZ stand, not that plastic 5lb PE one.
post #9450 of 10937
I could care less about the stand...it works well. And, for those of us who have (or are going to have) the TV mounted on the wall, it's the same quality TV, which is what matters. ;-)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Plasma Flat Panel Displays
AVS
or Connect
syntax error at end of input

There Seems to be a Problem

We're sorry, but there's been an error in our system, and we can't complete your request. Please report this error to us, using our feedback system. Thanks!

AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › Plasma Flat Panel Displays › Panasonic 42pz700, 50pz700u, 50pz750u, 58pz700u and 58pz750u Owners Thread!