or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Blu-ray & HD DVD › HD DVD Players › Xbox 360 HD-DVD add-on update thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Xbox 360 HD-DVD add-on update thread - Page 2

post #31 of 484
Just recieved the update here in Melbourne (Australia)!

Took about 2 min's to download...

I was a little under the impression that the Spring update would fix the Dolby Digital being stuck in Night Mode on HDDVD...Nope...Still seems the same.. (tested with King Kong).. My Yamaha RX-V2500 Amp is still showing that the audio flag is still giving a +4DB increase to dialogue which seems to suggest the Dolby Night Mode is still on...

I guess i'll keep waiting for a the fix and DTS update in the next few days..
post #32 of 484
The Spring dashboard update was definitely not to include the fix for the night mode problem.

However what I thought it did include was some fixes related to compatibility such as Digital Video Essentials disc. THe reason I thought this is because highdefdigest were told by DVE's authors that the fix was available on the 7th of May.....



Quote:
Originally Posted by jrumpff View Post

Just recieved the update here in Melbourne (Australia)!

Took about 2 min's to download...

I was a little under the impression that the Spring update would fix the Dolby Digital being stuck in Night Mode on HDDVD...Nope...Still seems the same.. (tested with King Kong).. My Yamaha RX-V2500 Amp is still showing that the audio flag is still giving a +4DB increase to dialogue which seems to suggest the Dolby Night Mode is still on...

I guess i'll keep waiting for a the fix and DTS update in the next few days..
post #33 of 484
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonStatt View Post

The Spring dashboard update was definitely not to include the fix for the night mode problem.

However what I thought it did include was some fixes related to compatibility such as Digital Video Essentials disc. THe reason I thought this is because highdefdigest were told by DVE's authors that the fix was available on the 7th of May.....

Nope. That's also the HD DVD update.

Someone probably got mixed up, because the HD DVD update was also supposed to come out this week, but then got postponed until probably next week.
post #34 of 484
I guess they will monitor how many downloads of the dashboard update go through in the next 24-48 hours to judge when they can enable the HD DVD update.

The dashboard update seems small though as it downloaded in all of about 30-40 seconds on my 8mbit link....so compared to previous updates, I would have thought they have the bandwidth for both updates at the same time...especially as the number of HD-DVD owners is only a small subset of Xbox 360 owners!

Go on Microsoft...you know you want to release it right now and get the nags and moans over with!
post #35 of 484
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonStatt View Post

I guess they will monitor how many downloads of the dashboard update go through in the next 24-48 hours to judge when they can enable the HD DVD update.

The dashboard update seems small though as it downloaded in all of about 30-40 seconds on my 8mbit link....so compared to previous updates, I would have thought they have the bandwidth for both updates at the same time...especially as the number of HD-DVD owners is only a small subset of Xbox 360 owners!

Go on Microsoft...you know you want to release it right now and get the nags and moans over with!

We'll see how much everything slows down tonite. Remember, it's very early am right now in North America.

Personally, I'd love to see the HD DVD update Friday. I can understand the delay, but it's disappointing that it will likely miss the weekend. I wanted to watch a movie or three on the weekend, but will hold off until the audio issues are corrected.

P.S. Here is a 30 second video demo-ing the audio lag problem in 3 different movie scenes. It may be subtle to some people, but I find sync issues quite irritating.
post #36 of 484
sorry, but where do I get the update? can anyone add a link or say a webpage? cuz I looked in xbox.,com and it was impossible to find it!!!

Thanks
post #37 of 484
Well the dashboard update is live now....it wouldn't phone home till I loaded up somethin though....I loaded up an HD-DVD, that prompted it...I got excited cuz I thought it was the player update, but it was only the dash ....back to the waiting game...
post #38 of 484
has anyone figured out how to play mp4 files on the XBox ? I have Windows XP with Media Player 11, for some reason, the MP4 files are not added to WM11 even though the folders are explicitly stated in the monitor folders section. I changed MP4 files to default to WM11 as the player, and they play fine, but they won't get added to WM11, the only way I can get them to stay in WM11 is by creating a video playlist, they won't show up as part of my video library. I converted a lot of Quicktime movie trailers from apple's site to MP4 to play back on the Xbox after the update, and I can't atm :/
post #39 of 484
Any news from Amirm about the DTS fix ?
post #40 of 484
this really sucks, I MUST have the xbox conected to the internet? I cannot get it by downloading it and burining it into a CD?? if this is so, I'll really thinks I'm gonna change my mind about the console, it seems really not fare.

The fall update is avalible for donwload at xbox.com but not this one?
post #41 of 484
Major Nelson: May '07 Dash update is now available

Quote:


I am happy to announce that the May 2007 Dashboard update has now been officially released and is in process of being rolled out across the LIVE service. For many of you, the next time you sign in to Xbox LIVE, you will be prompted to receive the update. A couple of things to keep in mind over the next few hours as the update is deployed:

* You'll be prompted to accept the update when you sign into Xbox Live sometime in the next few hours. You will only receive the prompt for the update upon sign in. You won't get it in middle of a game.
* Regardless of what you have heard, it's not geographically based. No one area of the world will get it before another.
* If you log out and then back in again, this won't force the updateit will only anger people on your friends list who will see you sign in, then out, then in, then out
* Be patient, everyone will eventually receive the update

In addition to the LIVE Messenger integration feature in the new Dashboard, you'll also see:

* New achievement pop-up with name and score value
* New Marketplace blade places content all in one place
* Friends playing now feature at Xbox LIVE Arcade
* Console can be set to turn off after downloads to save energy.

I want to say something about the last bullet point. What this means is that you can queue up your downloads and turn your console off.' When you turn it off during a download, you are actually switching your Xbox 360 into low power mode and the power light will blink very slowly as it continues downloading. After all the downloads are complete, the blinking light will stop and the console will automatically turn itself completely off. Downloads done.

Here is the press release that outlines the rest of the new features.

Once you download the update and have had some time to play around with the new features, which one is your favorite?

Well, I updated... and now my Xbox 360's settings are totally screwed. I can't navigate, because I can't see anything. It boots up very dark, but when I try to switch screens, it loses sync. This is NOT over VGA, but over component.

Wish me luck.
post #42 of 484
Quick Question...will this fix the audio problems I seem to have? My setup is optical out to my receiver and VGA to my Samsung 1080p DLP. The picture and sound are great on games. However, the sound is diminshed when watching HD-DVDs. Will the update fix this issue?
post #43 of 484
It seems that the dashoard update and the hd-dvd update are independante ! The DTS fix has not been published yet !
post #44 of 484
Quote:
Originally Posted by BuGsArEtAsTy View Post

Well, I updated... and now my Xbox 360's settings are totally screwed. I can't navigate, because I can't see anything. It boots up very dark, but when I try to switch screens, it loses sync. This is NOT over VGA, but over component.

Wish me luck.

Whew!

After a second reboot, the Xbox 360 now looks normal again.
post #45 of 484
you cant stream the newly supported codecs off a PC, they have to be physically connected to the 360 (Hard Drive, etc)... useless.

The update certainly makes the console look snazier, but compared to past updates doesnt do alot... I dont have a live messenger account, maybe I need to set one up.
post #46 of 484
Quote:
Originally Posted by Imeldhil View Post

this really sucks, I MUST have the xbox conected to the internet? I cannot get it by downloading it and burining it into a CD?? if this is so, I'll really thinks I'm gonna change my mind about the console, it seems really not fare.

The fall update is avalible for donwload at xbox.com but not this one?

I also do not have my X360 hooked up to the Internet, so I will need to download & burn the updates as well. So if anyone finds the link(s) to the downloads, please post them here.

I am afraid, however, that MS will not post it to the Web until later to give an "advantage" to the Live subscribers. That would really suck. Guess I would have to temporarily hook it up to the Internet and create a free Live account.

Thanks,
Troy
post #47 of 484
XBox Live Silver accounts are free. Why not sign up and get the update the normal way?
post #48 of 484
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corvall View Post

XBox Live Silver accounts are free. Why not sign up and get the update the normal way?

Mainly because I do not have an Ethernet connection in my Theater, and I think $99 for the MS Wireless add-on is just way too much money. I can take the 360 into another room that does have Ethernet, but then I would have to hook it up to another display to see what I am doing.

I will probably do just that...it just does not make sense for MS to create an "artificial delay" to give a perceived benefit to Live subscribers. We all paid for the HW, and we should all get the updates at the same time.
post #49 of 484
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corvall View Post

XBox Live Silver accounts are free. Why not sign up and get the update the normal way?

I too are not willing to pay 80euros for wi-fi on my xbox and the conecction is really far from the console is normally so I would have to put a cable like 3 meters long around my house to actually connect the xbox to internet.

Am I to grab the consolo bring it close to the internet cable, hook it up, move a tv near to the xbox to see what the heck am I doing,and then after the download put everything back in place??? man I'm paying MS their games, the console, the vga cables, etc, etc, am I not worthy of getting an easy answer?

OH, and wait, then, next week I'lld have to do it too, since the DTS is coming then... too complicated!
post #50 of 484
The VGA black levels setting is awesome. Makes everything look much better on my 40V2500.

Now all we need is the night mode setting/DTS, and I'll be a very happy HD-DVD camper.
post #51 of 484
You guys can get a Linksys adapter for like $20 or less and it works just fine. Look on eBay...
post #52 of 484
Quote:
Originally Posted by rufo View Post

The VGA black levels setting is awesome. Makes everything look much better on my 40V2500.

Now all we need is the night mode setting/DTS, and I'll be a very happy HD-DVD camper.

Black leves?? I didn't have any problems with blacks using VGA the problema was the image looked washed out, with really low colors, isn't that fixed?? I cannot set up the colors like I could if it were for example, a computer???
post #53 of 484
It's amazing how many people are repeating the same questions and comments in this thread as if they are the first to come across certain things.
post #54 of 484
TAllenSr

Quote:


Mainly because I do not have an Ethernet connection in my Theater, and I think $99 for the MS Wireless add-on is just way too much money.

You know many different USB wifi adapters will work on the 360. You don't have to buy the MS $99 version.

This one seems to be popular.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16833162168

Check this thread.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...&#post10018927

Back to on topic.
post #55 of 484
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve68 View Post

You know many different USB wifi adapters will work on the 360. You don't have to buy the MS $99 version.

This one seems to be popular.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16833162168

Check this thread.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...&#post10018927

That will function as a gaming adapter/WiFi-Ethernet bridge, with an Ethernet connection to the Xbox 360, not USB.

P.S. I had a very inexpensive 2wire Wireless Ethernet Client that worked fine for this, but it was a bit of a pain to set up (because you needed a PC), and it was only 802.11b. The 802.11g ones were around $60+ at the time. (They should be cheaper now though.)

I've also tried a Logitech PlayLink wireless adapter, which was super easy to set up, because there is no set up at all. It is a self-contained Ethernet bridge (with adapters for both sides of the bridge) with encrypted RF wireless. Unfortunately, while it's fine for gaming, it's very slow for downloads, maxing out at around 1 Mbps or less.
post #56 of 484
post #57 of 484
Quote:
Originally Posted by rufo View Post

The VGA black levels setting is awesome. Makes everything look much better on my 40V2500.

Now all we need is the night mode setting/DTS, and I'll be a very happy HD-DVD camper.


Does the image still look washed out? Did the VGA blacklevel switch correct this issue?

What is the most noticable improvement?
post #58 of 484
Quote:
Originally Posted by Imeldhil View Post

Black leves?? I didn't have any problems with blacks using VGA the problema was the image looked washed out, with really low colors, isn't that fixed?? I cannot set up the colors like I could if it were for example, a computer???


my sentiments exactly did the update correct the vga input to accept video signal and also pc signal as Amir said it would?
post #59 of 484
I've been so cool and supportive while waiting for this update.....I even tried to quiet all the complainers along the way....and my broadband modem crashed and burned this morning, 2 hours before the update went live
6 hours on the phone w/tech support from my ISP, and now I have to wait until my modem can be replaced. Just my luck!

Sorry folks, just hadda vent a little. You can't do this over dialup, can ya?
post #60 of 484
Quote:
Originally Posted by WERA689 View Post

I've been so cool and supportive while waiting for this update.....I even tried to quiet all the complainers along the way....and my broadband modem crashed and burned this morning, 2 hours before the update went live
6 hours on the phone w/tech support from my ISP, and now I have to wait until my modem can be replaced. Just my luck!

Sorry folks, just hadda vent a little. You can't do this over dialup, can ya?

Well, FWIW, it only took about 15 seconds for me to download the update. However, my download speed is up to 5 Mbps.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: HD DVD Players
AVS › AVS Forum › Blu-ray & HD DVD › HD DVD Players › Xbox 360 HD-DVD add-on update thread