or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › LCD Flat Panel Displays › Official Samsung LN-TXX61F/65F/66F Owner's Thread III - with *updated* first post.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Official Samsung LN-TXX61F/65F/66F Owner's Thread III - with *updated* first post. - Page 2

post #31 of 19611
after all the problems with samsung sharp,sony.....I would advise only purchasing a lcd or plasma that has the SIMPLAY PLAY FOR SURE logo on it. This means it has been tested to make sure it is 1.3 compliant and works with all devices COME ON samsung how much could it possibly cost to get your products tested?????? This would avoid customer backlash and give the SAMSUNG BRAND a much needed QC boost.
post #32 of 19611
I exchanged my 4661, and I can say I am a proud owner of a tv that doesn't have any clouds, flashlights, or HDMI dropouts. A beautiful perfectly uniform screen...but I have a confession to make.


I "exchanged" my 4661 for the new Panasonic Plasma 50PZ700U. I thought about giving LCDS one more shot, but I decided against it after seeing my friends Toshiba 42HL167. It exhibited the same bright pillars as the Samsungs do, although it was free of clouding/flashlighting.

I do think the black levels on the 65s are a bit better than the 700u, but the SD on the pannie is better. Granted I have to be cautious with my plasma during its break in period, but Id rather deal with that instead of continuing with the exchange game that I endured with my Sammies(All 4 of them).

I hope everyone can find an lcd they can be happy with. It just wasn't meant to be for me.
post #33 of 19611
Hello,
Based on all the info on this site I pulled the trigger on a LN-T4661f this past Saturday. Purchased from Fry's a local p/up here in AZ. This unit is sort of replacing a Mitz WD62725 DLP pos that is broke at the moment, however when it worked it had great PQ.
I'm hoping that Samsung has better QC as I have had good luck with their Desktop LCD's in the past.

On the 4661F I'm using HDMI 1 for PS3 with optical out to a Denon 2803 receiver. Mute internal turned off on the Sammy. HDMI cable is a no brand 1m long and has a tight connection on the ports (reused from old set, which had no issues with the one port it had). At this point I have not seen any of the issue mentioned here, Except for the very startup of HD play back from the PS3. I have only put maybe 16 hours on this set so far and mostly on the very night that I purchased the unit.
So far I have watched a 2 hour HD movie @ 1080p, started a DVD @ 420p, played several hours of Resistance @ 720p and couple hours of Calling all Cars. Besides the above a few hours of regular OTA material via an attic mounted UHF ANT and some shows that were recorded via PC via Ethernet media player connected to Denon using component and up to the Sammy.
First thoughts on this set is that I'm pleased with the size, the style and the over all condition of the set. PQ in some cases is on par with my old set and noticeably better for HD content running at 1080p. I knew about the HDMI issues before purchase (thanks to this site), however I think that Samsung will correct the issue and soon.

Thanks to all for the information posted here, I think you all help make this what it is.
Ok so, I will be lurking on the sidelines, but will post anything that seems relevant to this site. Thanks again.

Rob

LNT4661 - 1016/1004 Purchased May 12
Ok, Well I had this now for a month and have the same issues as everyone else with the HDMI, Handshake, video drop and pink and green flashes. Video drops happen from time to time only when useing HDMI. Pink flashes only when starting new content either it be a movie or game or even back to the XMB.
Green flashes during play of any content and again only while using HDMI.
post #34 of 19611
Is anyone using a video card with an HDMI connector that can route the coax SPDIF out from the mobo/sound card to the HDMI? If you are able to get the audio to work with your Samsung could please you post your config/settings?
post #35 of 19611
Quote:
Originally Posted by pulsation View Post

That all depends on what you are looking for and what your expectations are. If you are looking for a 1080p LCD you will be hard-pressed to find a better overall model, despite the pillar defect and the HDMI issues. CNET recently rated the 4665 an 8.3 overall, the best flat panel LCD they have reviewed, and that includes the flagship Sony models. With some decent screen calibration, you should be able to hide the uneven backlighting issue, and the HDMI issue really isn't that much of a hassle IMHO. It seems like Samsung will eventually issue a firmware fix for them. On the other hand, if you think you may instead want to go with a plasma instead, I would probably return it and look to see whats available.

God NO... No plasma TV for me!!!

I'm not a rich man and I haven't bought all the newer HDMI technology to go with this TV. Which, I do plan on this in proper timing. The only thing that I have now that has HDMI capability is the DirectTV DVR I have. I'm sure it isn't HDMI 1.3, but it is the best connection that I have at this time. I do have a PC that I suppose I could hookup through DVI-HDMI it isn't really convenient to do so. I could hookup my XBOX360 component, but I don't think that is going to show me what you guys are talking about.

You guys keep talking about Samsung issuing some firmware update. I've updated firmware on PC motherboards and DVD burners and such. I've never had a TV with any high tech capabilities such as firmware updates. So are you all saying that TV technology gotten to the point that updating the firmware is user installable??? Or are we talking like having to have a service technician come out? If we are talking about something that I can do, then I'm much more inclined to work with the set some. I wouldn't want to have to convince some technician to come out and do a firmware update because I want it.

I did do some homework looking at some reviews on LCDs before purchasing. This one seemed to be the ONE. My wife and I then went and saw it in the store. It was hands down to anything they had on display. Which really help me sell it to my wife. She could even see it without any effort.

So I'm just trying to figure out that while we are rearranging the room and giving it a fresh coat of paint am I sitting on a big goose egg. Am I going to be disappointed when I go to hook all this up and find that I have all these problems with the unit? I do plan to use the HDMI connections heavily when I'm all done. I took the cover off the box but haven't un-wrapped the TV. You all have at least some run time with your units. With firmware, do you feel that these issues can be resolved with just software tweaking? I haven't heard anyone mention if there seems to be a correlation between those with problems and manufacture dates or anything like that. I'm assuming at this point, this is affecting everyone at some point or another.

By the way, what is a "port saver"? And I guess I've got to do some more reading to figure out what "pillar defect" is.

Thanks
post #36 of 19611
Quote:
Originally Posted by Klips View Post

God NO... No plasma TV for me!!!

I'm not a rich man and I haven't bought all the newer HDMI technology to go with this TV. Which, I do plan on this in proper timing. The only thing that I have now that has HDMI capability is the DirectTV DVR I have. I'm sure it isn't HDMI 1.3, but it is the best connection that I have at this time. I do have a PC that I suppose I could hookup through DVI-HDMI it isn't really convenient to do so. I could hookup my XBOX360 component, but I don't think that is going to show me what you guys are talking about.

You guys keep talking about Samsung issuing some firmware update. I've updated firmware on PC motherboards and DVD burners and such. I've never had a TV with any high tech capabilities such as firmware updates. So are you all saying that TV technology gotten to the point that updating the firmware is user installable??? Or are we talking like having to have a service technician come out? If we are talking about something that I can do, then I'm much more inclined to work with the set some. I wouldn't want to have to convince some technician to come out and do a firmware update because I want it.

I did do some homework looking at some reviews on LCDs before purchasing. This one seemed to be the ONE. My wife and I then went and saw it in the store. It was hands down to anything they had on display. Which really help me sell it to my wife. She could even see it without any effort.

So I'm just trying to figure out that while we are rearranging the room and giving it a fresh coat of paint am I sitting on a big goose egg. Am I going to be disappointed when I go to hook all this up and find that I have all these problems with the unit? I do plan to use the HDMI connections heavily when I'm all done. I took the cover off the box but haven't un-wrapped the TV. You all have at least some run time with your units. With firmware, do you feel that these issues can be resolved with just software tweaking? I haven't heard anyone mention if there seems to be a correlation between those with problems and manufacture dates or anything like that. I'm assuming at this point, this is affecting everyone at some point or another.

By the way, what is a "port saver"? And I guess I've got to do some more reading to figure out what "pillar defect" is.

Thanks

Hi,

Firmware updates are something like bios updates as you said you had updated PC and such. You can request these from the manufacture and they normally will send them via a flash, but in this case I think they email them to you and you place them on a jump drive. User updateable!

Port saver is a like a dongle or wire extension. It extends the connection and you use it to connect you own HDMI cable.

Hope that helps!
post #37 of 19611
Thanks to everyone for all this great information
post #38 of 19611
Quote:
Originally Posted by pulsation View Post

Guys, just wanted to let you know I recently added a Pioneer Elite VSX-84TSXi to my setup. I have all my HDMI devices (Yamaha S2500 DVD, Comcast/Motorola STB, and PS3) running through the Pioneer and I have the HDMI out running to HDMI 1 on my LN-T4665F. So far, I noticed two signal drops while watching a HD trailer on PS3. So much for the theory of using the receiver to get better handshake timing...fortunately, nothing is behaving any WORSE than it did before getting the receiver.

Well that blows that theory out of the water .. oh well I won't tell the wife this doesn't fix the issue cause I still want my receiver
post #39 of 19611
Quote:
Originally Posted by evilive27 View Post

would it be worth getting a tv that has 120hz as opposed to the 60hz that the samsungs have?
Would the human eye really be able to tell the difference? Thats the only thing that's making me think again about the tv. Otherwise its amazing, no clouding, 15,000:1 contrast.
Anyone know if i should just wait for a 120hz tv?


I do notice slight pixilation during sports...basketball, golf (when the camera follows the ball) and concerts (strobe lights and light effects)...I've yet to watch an action movie. I am very happy with the 4065 other than the pixilation, glare in some cases and now the pink flashes. I may hold out for the 71 series due to the supposed reduced glare and 120Hz. I emailed Samsung about the pink flashes and they want me to call in to have it resolved.
post #40 of 19611
Am I understanding this correctly? There is pixilation with sports and action movies with explosions etc?

I hope not, I wanted to get this set.

Steven
post #41 of 19611
HOLA ALL,

I HAVE A 4066F

Love my set, even if I had to return 2 sets until I got the "one" that I love.

question on firmware how do I check for ver. and how do I update it?

I just got a dvd player to up convert to 1080p hdmi 1.3 its been working fine.
Its ok for know untill the prices drop to get a real player(1080p)

thanks all.
post #42 of 19611
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheldon111 View Post

I do notice slight pixilation during sports...basketball, golf (when the camera follows the ball) and concerts (strobe lights and light effects)...

Do you mean macroblocking? That is a result of compression of the feed. I believe 120hz would lessen motion blur (I can't say I've even noticed it with 60hz), but we might still have macroblocking until the technology at the other end improves.
post #43 of 19611
Quote:
Originally Posted by wallstreet123456 View Post

Am I understanding this correctly? There is pixilation with sports and action movies with explosions etc?

I hope not, I wanted to get this set.

Steven

The 'pixilation' isn't a problem with the TV! It's called "compression artifacts".. these in particular are "macroblocking". It's due to the high amount of compression applied to the HDTV signal. You will not notice it on blu ray disks since they allocate much more bitrate to the video.
post #44 of 19611
I got my monoprice "port savers" for my HDMI cable last night and so far I have not gotten a drop out!

I will reserve judgment after having some more time to test them out, but so far so good.
post #45 of 19611
Thread Starter 
First post updated with explanation of "port savers" and "pillars," and how to check your firmware. Thanks guys.
post #46 of 19611
Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamG View Post

First post updated with explanation of "port savers"


Do your port savers fit the HDMI cable all the way, without any part of the gold end exposed?
post #47 of 19611
Quote:
Originally Posted by mark_j View Post

I got my monoprice "port savers" for my HDMI cable last night and so far I have not gotten a drop out!

I will reserve judgment after having some more time to test them out, but so far so good.

Did you use them on both ends or just the ones going into the back of the TV???

-O
post #48 of 19611
Quote:
Originally Posted by Transcend View Post

Do you mean macroblocking? That is a result of compression of the feed. I believe 120hz would lessen motion blur (I can't say I've even noticed it with 60hz), but we might still have macroblocking until the technology at the other end improves.


Yeah, I guess that's what I mean after looking at your example. So from what you are saying 120Hz should improve this issue?
post #49 of 19611
Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamG View Post

3.) Design issues:

There are numerous reports of what is known as "clouding" or "mura." Nobody knows exactly what causes this, but it manifests itself as blotches of lighter areas on the screen or in the corners (corners are also known as "flashlights").

There are several reports of people wiping the area with a cloth from the cloud to the edge of the screen to remove the issue, but I can't verify this. To do this, grab a dry cloth and wipe the cloud fairly gently. If it moves, keep moving it!

Please refrain from asking questions about clouds, as this post should cover it. I personally understand the frustration of having had really bad clouds, but it bogs down the thread to discuss it ad nauseam. If you can't clear the clouds, and they actually bother you, exchange your set at your vendor. It is possible to get a completely cloud-free set, but don't drive yourself crazy. If you can't notice them during "normal" viewing, you've nothing to worry about!

I think the clouding issues out-weigh the HDMI handshaking issues and could be more influencial on potential buyers as well...

UPDATE: The wiping method did nothing for my clouds, as I hoped it would... Maybe it's time for a 5th set from BB.

It does get rather ridiculous, but bottom line... a 3K LCD TV should not be a headache... And further, a 3K LCD TV should just make you happy and suck you in to it's greatness... after all... it cost freaking 3K!!!
post #50 of 19611
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheldon111 View Post

Yeah, I guess that's what I mean after looking at your example. So from what you are saying 120Hz should improve this issue?

No, I was saying 120hz has nothing to do with macroblocking (macro blocking and motion blur are two different issues).
post #51 of 19611
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by orangedrone View Post

I think the clouding issues out-weigh the HDMI handshaking issues and could be more influencial on potential buyers as well...

UPDATE: The wiping method did nothing for my clouds, as I hoped it would... Maybe it's time for a 5th set from BB.

It does get rather ridiculous, but bottom line... a 3K LCD TV should not be a headache... And further, a 3K LCD TV should just make you happy and suck you in to it's greatness... after all... it cost freaking 3K!!!

From a permanence standpoint, I agree with you. But since the clouding issue is fixable (new set [however many...] *sigh*), it's not as devastating as the HDMI issues which affect everyone, clouds or not! But I agree, the clouds problem is out of control.
post #52 of 19611
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by orangedrone View Post

Did you use them on both ends or just the ones going into the back of the TV???

-O

Just the TV end.

Quote:
Do your port savers fit the HDMI cable all the way, without any part of the gold end exposed?

I can't get behind my TV at the moment, but the HDMI3 on the side goes in without any gap, from what I can tell. If there is a gap, it's absolutely minuscule.
post #53 of 19611
Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamG View Post

From a permanence standpoint, I agree with you. But since the clouding issue is fixable (new set [however many...] *sigh*), it's not as devastating as the HDMI issues which affect everyone, clouds or not! But I agree, the clouds problem is out of control.

Frankly I'm a little worried about the reports from those who've had their mainboard replaced and commented that clouding/pillaring/flashlighting is now more difficult or impossible to resolve via settings adjustments. Has Samsung's fix for these HDMI problems, which might very well be incorporated into the production of the next line ('71 series), resulted in reducing the range of settings adjustments?
post #54 of 19611
Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamG View Post

I can't get behind my TV at the moment, but the HDMI3 on the side goes in without any gap, from what I can tell. If there is a gap, it's absolutely minuscule.

No, not the TV port, mine fits there very well - it is the connection between the end of my HDMI cable and the port saver that leaves a gap; does yours fit your HDMI cable all the way?
post #55 of 19611
Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamG View Post

Just the TV end.



I can't get behind my TV at the moment, but the HDMI3 on the side goes in without any gap, from what I can tell. If there is a gap, it's absolutely minuscule.

Last night during the b-ball game (Spurs/Suns) my TV dropped and turing it off and back on didn't heal... It wasn't till I fiddled with the HDMI cable going in to the back of the cable box did I get a pic back... This makes me think port savers might be most benificial on both ends of the line...

I'm thinking it's the quality/consistancy of the signal that the TV is having issues with, more so than, or instead of HDCP.

-O
post #56 of 19611
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Transcend View Post

Frankly I'm a little worried about the reports from those who've had their mainboard replaced and commented that clouding/pillaring/flashlighting is now more difficult or impossible to resove via settings adjustments. Has Samsung's fix for these HDMI problems, which might very well be incorporated into the production of the next line ('71 series), resulted in reducing the range of settings adjustments?

I wouldn't be surprised if replacing the mainboards, though, put *some* form of pressure on the screen from having the LCD face down. This in turn affected the cloud appearance.

Just speculation, of course. I just highly doubt a mainboard replacement is changing the composition of the actual screen.
post #57 of 19611
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Transcend View Post

No, not the TV port, mine fits there very well - it is the connection between the end of my HDMI cable and the port saver that leaves a gap; does yours fit your HDMI cable all the way?

Ah ah! Yes, there's a definite gap. Also, my HDMI3 (can't check HDMI1 and 2 right now) has some serious wiggle in the port. I assume (hope) it's normal, but it's not exactly reassuring.
post #58 of 19611
Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamG View Post

Ah ah! Yes, there's a definite gap. Also, my HDMI3 (can't check HDMI1 and 2 right now) has some serious wiggle in the port. I assume (hope) it's normal, but it's not exactly reassuring.

I had mine in HDMI 1 or 2 (tried both) and it seemed to fit those ports the same as without the "saver" (but then again it was fine at the TV end without the "saver", so no better or worse); however, it does fit the port of my STB better, which is the connection that I had noted previously was a little loose. Unfortunately I can't comment on lessening HDMI drop outs because I already sent the TV (LN-T4665F) back.

P.S. The port savers are connected right now to the 19" (Samsung LN-T195xH that's going back tomorrow )...for this set, with the port savers, I can attest to no HDMI drop outs (unless we change sources, which is a completely different issue with this TV), no green/pink flashes.
post #59 of 19611
Quote:
Originally Posted by dave_coulier View Post

I "exchanged" my 4661 for the new Panasonic Plasma 50PZ700U. I thought about giving LCDS one more shot, but I decided against it after seeing my friends Toshiba 42HL167. It exhibited the same bright pillars as the Samsungs do, although it was free of clouding/flashlighting.

I do think the black levels on the 65s are a bit better than the 700u, but the SD on the pannie is better. .

I am in the market for a 50+ inch 1080p TV and have been considering the Samsung 5265, Sharp 52D92U and now the Panasonic 50 or 58PZ700U. I would really like to hear your impressions of the plasma against the LCD after you have had time to fine tune the image. Things I would be interested in include;

Screen reflectivity
Shadow detail
Black level
Ability to deal with fast motion
Overall image quality

Thanks in advance,
David.
post #60 of 19611
Quote:
Originally Posted by Transcend View Post

Frankly I'm a little worried about the reports from those who've had their mainboard replaced and commented that clouding/pillaring/flashlighting is now more difficult or impossible to resove via settings adjustments. Has Samsung's fix for these HDMI problems, which might very well be incorporated into the production of the next line ('71 series), resulted in reducing the range of settings adjustments?

Beat me to the punch! I was really hoping the the mainboard replacement would to the trick - but also worried about the new lighting issues!

Norse, Gort100 and anyone else with a HDMI problem free set - could you first confirm that you have the same mainboard number (I'm assuming it is the second line in the Firmware info). From tracking these threads I think the trouble free reports began with number 1005. It appears that the firmware itself doesn't do the trick.

Gort1000 - please let us know if you can tweak your settings to get rid of the pillars using Norse's settings.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: LCD Flat Panel Displays
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › LCD Flat Panel Displays › Official Samsung LN-TXX61F/65F/66F Owner's Thread III - with *updated* first post.