or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › Rear Projection Units › Official Toshiba 65HM167 and 57HM167 Owner's thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Official Toshiba 65HM167 and 57HM167 Owner's thread - Page 6

post #151 of 3106
I've now spent a second day at a different CC playing with the Toshiba, trying to find a problem. Reduced color to 0 to see any color blotches (none) or tinted b&w (none in medium color temp). Reduced Contrast to 80 without losing the quality picture.

Both stores only had the hd loop playing and the Toshiba was next to a Sony xbr2 today. It had a more vibrant and sharper picture than the Sony.

I can't find anything wrong with this set. And the medium color temperature produces a perfect black and white as opposed to the slightly blue high temp and the slightly red warm temp, just as it's supposed to be.

Strongly considerd the new Mitsubishi which is 6" less deep as I am only 9 1/2-10' from scren. And the Mits offers so many user controls for tweaking colors and tints but the Toshiba colos looked natural and just right as is. And the $1000 difference will take care of my need to get a Toshiba xa2 and accessories.

So I just need to decide on a new stand or to use a not quite wide enough (will overlap 10" on each end in the front but the taper will bring the set back fully on to the table in the rear.) but plenty deep enough coffee table for the stand. My wife was looking forward to me removing the two shelf wooden cabinet above the current rptv but the Toshiba will fit in perfectly without having to break down the equipment already in place.

So has anyone found a major flaw yet (not counting the few reported smudges on the inside of the screen)?

Shelly
post #152 of 3106
Only flaw with these sets so far seems to be a few whose lamps failed within a few hours of use. Toshiba apparently doesn't yet have any in stock, so there is a wait to get a replacement.

If you buy locally, you could just swap out any defective set, so this isn't really a problem unless the lamp failures become more frequent as these sets get some hours on them.
post #153 of 3106
Quote:
Originally Posted by shelly View Post

...And the $1000 difference will take care of my need to get a Toshiba xa2 and accessories.

From June 10 to June 16, Toshiba will be offering $200 off if you buy a 42" or larger Toshiba set with any HD-DVD unit.
post #154 of 3106
Quote:
Originally Posted by koan View Post

From June 10 to June 16, Toshiba will be offering $200 off if you buy a 42" or larger Toshiba set with any HD-DVD unit.


Do they have to be purchased from the same store on the same invoice?

I plan to purchase the dlp from CC to use my 10% AAA discount. CC does not sell the XA2 so I would be buying it from VE whee I purchased my XA1.

Shelly
post #155 of 3106
Have had my Tosh almost 30 days and now ready to buy an EW. Any advice on getting the extended warranty from Tapeworkstexas here for @210 http://tapeworkstexas.com/mack_warranty_combo.html? Thanks
post #156 of 3106
I got my warranty from tapeworks. You just need to get it before 30 days are up. I had no problems. Warranty arrived in nice, laminated packaging (2 warranties. One for the tv, one for the bulb). Easy to register them online. Then I just filed them away until I need them. Very easy, straightforward process.
post #157 of 3106
Quote:
Originally Posted by koan View Post

From June 10 to June 16, Toshiba will be offering $200 off if you buy a 42" or larger Toshiba set with any HD-DVD unit.

I did that about a month ago at Circuit City. It's considered a package so it can't be combined with say a installation/stand package they also had at the time. So I got the A2 for my dad for $199. Later I returned the Toshiba due to a defect and got a Sony and they let me keep the player at $199. Then I returned the Sony for nothing else and they just left the player as $199 even though I didn't buy a tv anymore

So this time around, will the players still be $100 off so you start with $299 then $200 off would make it $100 for the A2?
post #158 of 3106
Quote:
Originally Posted by redbirdpat View Post

I got my warranty from tapeworks. You just need to get it before 30 days are up. I had no problems. Warranty arrived in nice, laminated packaging (2 warranties. One for the tv, one for the bulb). Easy to register them online. Then I just filed them away until I need them. Very easy, straightforward process.

Thanks for the confirmation.

EDIT: did you order on their website? It doesnt seem to be encrypted when going through their checkout process.
post #159 of 3106
Yes. I ordered it on their website. I don't recall if it was encrypted or not.
post #160 of 3106
I have purchased the 65HM167 this morning with a delivery set for next Friday. Great online price at CC coupled with the AAA discount with free delivery. I thought that the free delivery and discounted price might end today, being that it is the end of the month.

As I reported earlier in this thread, my two viewing experiences, although with just the hd loop via component cables, was extremely impressive, and the picture was better to my eye than the other sets near by.

I almost bought the 62MX196 last winter but decided to wait for the newer sets to arrive this year.

The best thing about the purchase is that I can finally Unsubscribe from all the other rptv threads.

Shelly
post #161 of 3106
Quote:
Originally Posted by shelly View Post

I have purchased the 65HM167 this morning with a delivery set for next Friday. Great online price at CC coupled with the AAA discount with free delivery. I thought that the free delivery and discounted price might end today, being that it is the end of the month.

As I reported earlier in this thread, my two viewing experiences, although with just the hd loop via component cables, was extremely impressive, and the picture was better to my eye than the other sets near by.

I almost bought the 62MX196 last winter but decided to wait for the newer sets to arrive this year.

The best thing about the purchase is that I can finally Unsubscribe from all the other rptv threads.

Shelly

It's been that price at CC on and off. It's strange too that CC has the best price mid week and then as Sunday comes along it changes to more. So like last week up to Saturday it was around the current price, but then as it hit Sunday for the special Memorial weekend sale the tv actually went up $100, talk about a special sale

I've noticed that pattern several times now at CC even with a Sony. It always starts off more expensive on Sunday and Monday where the ads come out, then around Tuesday or Wednesday the price drops low again online.
post #162 of 3106
Quote:
Originally Posted by hodgie777 View Post

I know the owner's manual states that the VGA input max is 1024 × 768. Microsoft claims the VGA on the Xbox 360 will put out 1080p. Has anyone here actually tried it? I realy want to get this tv, but this is the deciding factor.

same question. does anyone have an answer?

im considering buying the TV but im waiting on this answer.

my brother bought this TV and tried the VGA cable and got a message staing "unsupported format."

has anyone else had this experience w/ the VGA cable?
post #163 of 3106
Well, my 65hm167 arrived in a local facility at FedEx around 12:40 AM today (shipped the night of the 29th from One Call). It's 9:15 AM now and the tracking still says delivery estimate for today, but no update that says "out for delivery" or calls yet.
post #164 of 3106
Does anyone know how to access the lamp hours for the Tosiba 65HM167?

Is it in the User Menu or do I have to go into the Service Menu, and if so, what are the remote buttons to access it?

Thanks.

Shelly
post #165 of 3106
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimothyB View Post

I did that about a month ago at Circuit City. It's considered a package so it can't be combined with say a installation/stand package they also had at the time. So I got the A2 for my dad for $199. Later I returned the Toshiba due to a defect and got a Sony and they let me keep the player at $199. Then I returned the Sony for nothing else and they just left the player as $199 even though I didn't buy a tv anymore

So this time around, will the players still be $100 off so you start with $299 then $200 off would make it $100 for the A2?

Yes, $100 off the A2 now, but it's an instant rebate taken off MSRP, so for the A2 it's $399 - $100 = $299. Apparently some places are offering it lower (the similar D2 at Costco is $249) and some are offering extras. Toshiba is also offering 5 HD DVDs (from a very limited selection) with each purchase. You can find out more in this thread on the HD DVD forum. The $100 instant rebate for the XA2 begins June 10th. As for the combo, because it's an instant rebate, I assume you need to buy both the tv and the HD DVD unit at the same store.
post #166 of 3106
Quote:
Originally Posted by shelly View Post

Does anyone know how to access the lamp hours for the Tosiba 65HM167?

Is it in the User Menu or do I have to go into the Service Menu, and if so, what are the remote buttons to access it?

It's in the Service Menu. The procedure for entering the Service Menu is in the first post of this thread.
post #167 of 3106
Quote:
Originally Posted by koan View Post

It's in the Service Menu. The procedure for entering the Service Menu is in the first post of this thread.

Thanks Koan.

I guess that I should reread this thread while it's still relatively short.

Shelly
post #168 of 3106
I just got my 65hm167 a while ago and finally hooked up everything. I was never pleased with the 60 inch Sony, just a little too small and a bit dim for dark and midrange scenes, making you want to lean forward to get a sense of a solid picture, even worse from viewing at an angle/further away.

Well, I just tried the 1080p TMNT and Pirates 3 trailers off the PS3, lets just say there was a smile on my face as I watched that was never there before on the Sony, even when I was seeing rainbows and more SSE. At the price of this 65inch, even the 57inch, I just can't stand knowing that other people that don't have something like this in their home, especially when there's no interest financing even when buying online. I keep telling my boss to get something like this. He's still on some 25-26 inch tv that he saids likes to some how power off at the worst time during movies. I'm sure around the price range of $1500-$2000 for a new tv can sound crazy to some, but once you have something like this in your home and see 1080p it's such an amazing experience you wonder why you didn't spend the money sooner.

I haven't had time to adjust anything yet. I bet the PS3 input was still in Sports mode, but visually it looked great even though it was probably crushing blacks.

EDIT: Also, without even any calibration yet I can already say the SSE seems lot less that it was in the store, I hardly notice it and when I do I think, that's not that bad.
post #169 of 3106
Quote:
Originally Posted by FredU. View Post

I wrote that I want to just plug it up, turn it on, and be amazed. And that's what I've got with the Toshiba.
FEU

I couldn't agree more. I got the 57 and I only notice SSE during commercials with bright white backgrounds. I notice no RBE. I don't have Blue-Ray yet but hooked up an upconverting DVD (1080p) via HDMI and it's stunning. Just for your reference I paid $1300 locally at HHGregg.
post #170 of 3106
Quote:
Originally Posted by T-Audio View Post

I couldn't agree more. I got the 57 and I only notice SSE during commercials with bright white backgrounds. I notice no RBE. I don't have Blue-Ray yet but hooked up an upconverting DVD (1080p) via HDMI and it's stunning. Just for your reference I paid $1300 locally at HHGregg.

Good deal! My only pick with the set is that PQ of SD broadcasts is so gnarly compared to HD, but that's something I can live with.

Listen to us harp about comparatively minor details on these sets! I recall when we got ONE channel, WBT in Charlotte, and then after a few years we could get TWO different channels: if you didn't like what was on one channel, you could just change the channel and see something else! And if the weather was just right we could even get 13 out of Asheville, a whole 90 miles away if we turned the rabbit ears straight down and if the picture decided not to roll.

Yowza!
post #171 of 3106
I'm just about to get the 65HM167 and I'm just wondering which calibration DVD I should buy for this set? I created a topic on this board, but wasn't enough quick answers. Seeing as how people in this thread actually have this same set as I will have, I wanted to ask here as well. Should I get AVIA, DVE, or some other calibration dvd, or are they all pretty much the same?
post #172 of 3106
Quote:
Originally Posted by z32razer View Post

I'm just about to get the 65HM167 and I'm just wondering which calibration DVD I should buy for this set? I created a topic on this board, but wasn't enough quick answers. Seeing as how people in this thread actually have this same set as I will have, I wanted to ask here as well. Should I get AVIA, DVE, or some other calibration dvd, or are they all pretty much the same?

DVE - explanation @ your other thread!

Phil
post #173 of 3106
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimothyB View Post

I just got my 65hm167 a while ago and finally hooked up everything. I was never pleased with the 60 inch Sony, just a little too small and a bit dim for dark and midrange scenes, making you want to lean forward to get a sense of a solid picture, even worse from viewing at an angle/further away.

Well, I just tried the 1080p TMNT and Pirates 3 trailers off the PS3, lets just say there was a smile on my face as I watched that was never there before on the Sony, even when I was seeing rainbows and more SSE. At the price of this 65inch, even the 57inch, I just can't stand knowing that other people that don't have something like this in their home, especially when there's no interest financing even when buying online. I keep telling my boss to get something like this. He's still on some 25-26 inch tv that he saids likes to some how power off at the worst time during movies. I'm sure around the price range of $1500-$2000 for a new tv can sound crazy to some, but once you have something like this in your home and see 1080p it's such an amazing experience you wonder why you didn't spend the money sooner.

I haven't had time to adjust anything yet. I bet the PS3 input was still in Sports mode, but visually it looked great even though it was probably crushing blacks.

EDIT: Also, without even any calibration yet I can already say the SSE seems lot less that it was in the store, I hardly notice it and when I do I think, that's not that bad.

Glad you came back home. The SSE is really noticeable in stores but hardly at home. Overall, i'm satisfied with the picture.
post #174 of 3106
About to purchase the 51hm197,but had a question. I have the sa 8300hd dvr cable box, and it gives he option of outputting everything to 1080I or using a bypass mode to deliver the resolution of the channel. What do most of you use? Is the scaler in SA better than the Tosh?
post #175 of 3106
This might sound stupid, but how does the Xtreme BLAC work? It's like an iris thing right? I don't see any controls for it or notice any auto adjusting.

The only thing I found was Dynamic Contrast which more or less seems like an auto black level corrector if anything since it doesn't seem to effect the actual light output.
post #176 of 3106
TimothyB,

How about a posting a picture of your new setup?
post #177 of 3106
Well I got the TV hooked up. I love the picture and all, much better picture than mits 65731 with a PC for some reason. Anyway, I found 3 spots of speck/dirty(or the shaving?) on lower left hand corner of the screen. It looks like it's between 2 screens, I dunno. Can't really see them if you are watching something but it is bugging me that I know they are there and if I look down there while the screen is white I could see them. Bleh. Have anyone had their screen cleaned because of that? Do you have to tear the whole thing apart to clean it off?
post #178 of 3106
I have these black specs also on my 57. If the specs are between the screen like mine are you have to take the whole screen apart. if its just on the inside screen its easy to clean, unscrew, lift up one inch, tilt forward, clean inside screen, revearse steps. Mine was on the inside so I called for service to take care of it no sweat off my back.


Quote:
Originally Posted by broketoo View Post

Well I got the TV hooked up. I love the picture and all, much better picture than mits 65731 with a PC for some reason. Anyway, I found 3 spots of speck/dirty(or the shaving?) on lower left hand corner of the screen. It looks like it's between 2 screens, I dunno. Can't really see them if you are watching something but it is bugging me that I know they are there and if I look down there while the screen is white I could see them. Bleh. Have anyone had their screen cleaned because of that? Do you have to tear the whole thing apart to clean it off?
post #179 of 3106
Thanks for the reply but I am slightly confused. You said you have specks in between the screens and later you said it's inside the screen? Did you get rid of the specks in between the screen?
post #180 of 3106
My specs were between the screens, sorry for the confusion. Still waiting for service.

Quote:
Originally Posted by broketoo View Post

Thanks for the reply but I am slightly confused. You said you have specks in between the screens and later you said it's inside the screen? Did you get rid of the specks in between the screen?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Rear Projection Units
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › Rear Projection Units › Official Toshiba 65HM167 and 57HM167 Owner's thread