or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers › Official Outlaw Owners thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Official Outlaw Owners thread - Page 214

post #6391 of 7087
Just got my tracking number. Hope it arrives before "The Dark Knight Rises" is released.

* I tried reading this whole thread, made it to about page 60.

How long were you guys satisfied with 1 subwoofer? I'm already second guessing not ordering 2 of them.
post #6392 of 7087
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randall.White View Post

Just got my tracking number. Hope it arrives before "The Dark Knight Rises" is released.
* I tried reading this whole thread, made it to about page 60.
How long were you guys satisfied with 1 subwoofer? I'm already second guessing not ordering 2 of them.

I look at it this way. If you've been using a budget sub for some time and are upgrading to an Outlaw, get used to the great bass you're going to enjoy. When time goes by, get a second one and savor the next upgrade. Personal opinion...YMMV.
post #6393 of 7087
Smudge has it right! I just hooked up the EX and took out the Onkyo HTIB sub. Put on the Olyphant battle scene in Return of the King and I felt it. Tingley. Thought my eyes were twitching on every step. Awesome. My first real sub. Thanks for all the advice on this forum, otherwise I'd have a 300$ Polk or Klipsch from Best Buy. Now I get to spend my evening trying to dial it in. I have a Pioneer 1019 with the MCAAP or whatever it's called, wish I had the Audyssey from all I've read. No clue what phase is. I have it on passive and the receiver x-over at 80hz. On port plugged, Max Extension I think it is...sub volume on 5. Any other hints? Perma Grin so far.
post #6394 of 7087
How long did shipping take? Were you the one from WA?
post #6395 of 7087
Yeah, I'm from WA. EX came from Troutdale, OR. Took 2 days I think...or one. I never received any paperwork, just a message from Fed Ex. I didn't even know it was shipped until they called the day of delivery.
post #6396 of 7087
HMmmm.. So I could recieve mine then tomorrow or Monday then! I live kinda by Olympia (40 mins away, west).
post #6397 of 7087
Mine shipped during the last sale on a Thursday and I had to wait till Monday, and I live about 20 miles from Troutdale! I was miffed.
post #6398 of 7087
40 minutes west of Oly is Aberdeen area...I grew up in South Bend.
3 days for 20 minutes? Damn. I don't think the Fed Ex driver ever showed up to my house. Wife was here all day. I called and told them to leave it at a local Fed Ex shop so I could pick it up myself. Taking tomorrow off to celebrate it.
post #6399 of 7087
You lived in South Bend? I went to Wishkah high school. Never thought I'd find anyone on here who even knew about this area.
post #6400 of 7087
Quote:
Originally Posted by hermeslyre View Post

Mine shipped during the last sale on a Thursday and I had to wait till Monday, and I live about 20 miles from Troutdale! I was miffed.

Are you not allowed to pick up at store/warehouse?
post #6401 of 7087
Probably. iirc my truck was in the shop that weekend so i had to wait for the delivery. But hey, what doesnt kill you only makes you stronger. biggrin.gif
post #6402 of 7087
I just ordered my EX on Tuesday and it shipped Thursday. Will be here in SoCal on Monday.
post #6403 of 7087
Randall, I spent many a nights in Wishkah in the late 80s and early 90s, I can still draw that highway in my sleep...

5 hours of sleep, back to playing with the new toy...Wife loved it, until I told her "wait til we have two!" One particularly low base note scared my dog and she peed.
post #6404 of 7087
Quote:
Originally Posted by MexicoDan View Post

5 hours of sleep, back to playing with the new toy...Wife loved it, until I told her "wait til we have two!" One particularly low base note scared my dog and she peed.

Those are the kind of customer comments Outlaw ought to print up on their website. tongue.gif Probably be a good subject to talk about. What was the reaction you (family members) had when your Outlaw sub first "kicked in?"
post #6405 of 7087
Anytime I get new audio equipment (I don't have much, adding a new piece each year at this time, I do like my Klipsch Icon 35s and center I got last year) I play the battle scene in LOTR Return of the King. I set the sub volume at 5 (12 o'clock) and 0 on the AVR...when the Olyphants start stomping I could feel it. At first I thought something was wrong with...me, eyes get a little twitchy and the air seemed tighter around me. Wife loved it, admitted she thought I was crazy at first for spending 600 on a sub. She's in.

The funny part was playing around with settings while my 3 year old watched How to Train a Dragon. You would swear that someone invisible was hitting him, he moved with all the low base notes like someone was hitting him, squealing with pleasure.

I've read a lot about "grin factor". Yep, I got it. I just have to let the dogs out first.
post #6406 of 7087
Quote:
Originally Posted by MexicoDan View Post

I've read a lot about "grin factor"..

It's impressive, isn't it? Until someone gets one of these powerful ID subs, you can't know how much more fun it makes movie watching. smile.gif
post #6407 of 7087
Quote:
Originally Posted by cel4145 View Post

It's impressive, isn't it? Until someone gets one of these powerful ID subs, you can't know how much more fun it makes movie watching. smile.gif

Still here eh? How are those CHTs subs treating you??
post #6408 of 7087
Quote:
Originally Posted by MexicoDan View Post

Randall, I spent many a nights in Wishkah in the late 80s and early 90s, I can still draw that highway in my sleep...
5 hours of sleep, back to playing with the new toy...Wife loved it, until I told her "wait til we have two!" One particularly low base note scared my dog and she peed.

I love that area out there. I have quite a bit of family out there.

Sooooo I finally got the tracking # to work and it says its out for delivery today!! Now the waiting game begins.
post #6409 of 7087
How many of you guys place the sub behind your seating area? Ive got 3 options already wired to go. 1) up front between Center and Right channel. 2) behind my couch 3) on the left wall between the Left channel and Left surround.

Room is 20x19 and about 3,000 cubic feet.
post #6410 of 7087
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randall.White View Post

How many of you guys place the sub behind your seating area? Ive got 3 options already wired to go. 1) up front between Center and Right channel. 2) behind my couch 3) on the left wall between the Left channel and Left surround.
Room is 20x19 and about 3,000 cubic feet.

Do a sub crawl. That is all.
post #6411 of 7087
Should I use my other sub (PL-200) as well. I've read that a lower quality sub will make a better one not sound so good?

*Still waiting for it to arrive, It's been on the truck since 6:30 am.
post #6412 of 7087
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randall.White View Post

Should I use my other sub (PL-200) as well. I've read that a lower quality sub will make a better one not sound so good?
*Still waiting for it to arrive, It's been on the truck since 6:30 am.

I just received mine this afternoon. I had a PA-120 that was decent but lacked the detail & tightness I desired. I pulled the PA-120 out & put the Outlaw in its place. The overall sound quality between the the two were very noticeable to me. The Outlaw just beasts the PA-120. So I've decided to leave it out. I'm working in a 3000cu' environment so the Outlaw has no trouble on its on. YMMV.
post #6413 of 7087
Outlaw packaging is superb. The sub came double boxed with reinforced corners & top. Get this, it was wraped in a cloth bag. Classy smile.gif
post #6414 of 7087
^^ Have you played anything yet? What are your first thoughts?
post #6415 of 7087
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randall.White View Post

^^ Have you played anything yet? What are your first thoughts?

Again, do a crawl before settling in. Dial it in properly. Then put on a reference blu-ray if you can. Everyone has a favorite. Don't post unless you're ready to use the word "wow!" wink.gif
post #6416 of 7087
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randall.White View Post

^^ Have you played anything yet? What are your first thoughts?

Just broadcast material. I still have the Audyssey settings engaged from my last sub. All I had time to do was level adjust with my RS meter, turned to HBO, they were playing Megamind. Didn't crank it all, just played normal tv viewing level 50 & listened. The quality of the LFE was really nice! Can't wait to get it dialed in!
post #6417 of 7087
cadett,

Congrats on the new sub!

I have the PA-120 and have been thinking about replacing it.
Overall I have been pleased with the PA-120 and it rumbles and shakes my small living room.

When you compare the two what differences do you notice?
How would you describe the type of bass each produces?

Thanks.
post #6418 of 7087
[quote name="Randall.White"
*Still waiting for it to arrive, It's been on the truck since 6:30 am.[/quote]

Well, I decided to take the drive to pick it up (30+ miles round trip) it got shipped to my parents house in the country. Once I got back into town I got an email saying delivery was scheduled for the next day. Not sure if they deliver in my area on Saturday or if I'll have to wait till Monday. mad.gif
post #6419 of 7087
My sub just showed up. Not bad. Ordered on Tuesday late and at my door Saturday.
post #6420 of 7087
Quote:
Originally Posted by Draven451 View Post

cadett,
Congrats on the new sub!
I have the PA-120 and have been thinking about replacing it.
Overall I have been pleased with the PA-120 and it rumbles and shakes my small living room.
When you compare the two what differences do you notice?
How would you describe the type of bass each produces?
Thanks.

Bare in mind it's still early, but just to do a simple quick comparison. For the money the PA really is a good sub. I have the cherry. My problem is I have really limited sub placement. Front right corner. With the port on the rear of the PA & with the sub in the corner it sounded boomy! Especially when sitting on the sidewall on the opposite side of the corner placed sub. I don't want to run Audyssey at that spot because its out of the frontal stage. So I'm hoping the Outlaw will help with the down firing config. The first thing that I've noticed is that I thought I would prefer the finish of the cherry PA over the Outlaw, however I've actually started to lean towards the Outlaw. It just looks like a quality piece of equipment. Now to the sound quality. Keep in mind it's not dialed in, but I've had the PA at the best I could get it. The first thing I noticed was that the Outlaw has a tighter more precise sound. The next thing that I noticed was the extension. The Outlaw just beasts the PA. If I was scoring, I would give the PA 6 out of 10 & the Outlaw would be 9 out of 10. Can't wait until I get it properly setup.
Edited by cadett - 12/1/12 at 11:30am
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers › Official Outlaw Owners thread