or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Speakers › Legacy Audio Speakers
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Legacy Audio Speakers - Page 15

post #421 of 472
Quote:
Originally Posted by 777BigAnt777 View Post

And your point is? Is he (Dennis) near the intended client? Is there another dealer closer to Andre58? If not, why doesn't Andre58 order directly from Legacy? Does anyone check this out before Dennis sends a sub directly to someone's house?

Legacy has always been factory direct until recently.

I'm not accusing anyone of anything here, but this looks slightly shady to me.

Am I the only one who feels this way?
(Extends hand.) "Here, let me help you down off that high horse." rolleyes.gif

I have known Dennis for a number of years. We've helped each other with our theaters. He helped me build stands for my speakers. He helped me build the riser for my seating and with the installation of my tactile transducers. I even have a picture of him enjoying a beer on the riser in the link in my signature: http://www.avsforum.com/t/1349395/craig-johns-theater/90#post_21140957 I've helped Dennis with a few things over the years too. He's a good friend, and I think it is inappropriate to accuse him of any improprieties.

Dennis is a fully authorized Legacy dealer. He has multiple sets of Legacy speakers available for audition. Nonetheless, Legacy has a set of rules about how dealers are allowed to interact with customers. I'm not sure exactly what those rules are, but Dennis certainly can't just order something and have it shipped to someone's home, if that shipment is outside the rules. He would jeopardize his Authorized Dealer Status if he did so. I know how much he values that dealer status, and his relationship with Bill Duddleston, so I know he wouldn't do anything that might jeopardize it.

If you want to know what Legacy's rules are, call Legacy. They can certainly confirm that what Dennis is doing is within their rules.

In the meantime, put your horse in the stable and try walking on the ground like the rest of us.

Craig
post #422 of 472

Whoa Whoa Whoa...

 

Big Ant, please do not bring the negativity and arrogance that runs rampant on the Theta Thread onto this thread.  That rudeness is par for the course over there, but we have happy, genuine enthusiasts here.  I no longer own Legacy, and still I come here to enjoy the discussions.

 

When I walked into the Legacy Audio room at AXPONA this year, and mentioned that I was going to be buying a pair of Legacy Focus SE's from Dennis, Bill Dudleston knew who I was talking about.  Dennis is the guy who goes with Bill to setup complex systems for reviewers and at this very moment, he has at least four or five different Legacy Audio models in his theater.  If anything, I'd say he's the best person to contact about anything Legacy related, whether to place an order, or to ask how to screw in the carpet spikes. 

 

Again, no negativity needed. 

post #423 of 472
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrolicBeast View Post

Whoa Whoa Whoa...

Big Ant, please do not bring the negativity and arrogance that runs rampant on the Theta Thread onto this thread.  That rudeness is par for the course over there, but we have happy, genuine enthusiasts here.  I no longer own Legacy, and still I come here to enjoy the discussions.

When I walked into the Legacy Audio room at AXPONA this year, and mentioned that I was going to be buying a pair of Legacy Focus SE's from Dennis, Bill Dudleston knew who I was talking about.  Dennis is the guy who goes with Bill to setup complex systems for reviewers and at this very moment, he has at least four or five different Legacy Audio models in his theater.  If anything, I'd say he's the best person to contact about anything Legacy related, whether to place an order, or to ask how to screw in the carpet spikes. 

Again, no negativity needed. 

I noted that Dennis is listed on Legacy's website under their "Domestic Showrooms" page. Not all dealers are on that list. I discovered a Legacy dealer in Mahnasset, Long Island, which is maybe 1:45 away from me by public transportation. They aren't listed on the showroom page. It seems to be a special group.

To another point in earlier posts: Morrow Audio is on that page, too.
post #424 of 472
Quote:
Originally Posted by DMark1 View Post

For everyone's benefit - I just spoke to the factory, and if you are contemplating a Legacy Audio purchase, it would definitely be in your best interest to place your order before December 31, 2013... *wink, wink*....

Well guys, I couldn't say anything before, but now it's official... I just got the numbers, and Legacy Audio is indeed raising prices an average of 10% across their whole family of speakers on January 1, 2014.

So if you have been thinking about buying a set of Legacies, you can beat the price increase by placing your orders before December 31! If anyone has any questions, or if you need price quotes, or any other information, feel free to PM me, and I'd be pleased to help you any way I can.

Just wanted to let you guys know ASAP, in case anyone is sitting on the fence... :-)

Dennis
post #425 of 472
I wanted to say a few words about Legacy, and the reasons for the forthcoming price increase.

Legacy had a HUGELY successful year in 2013, capturing numerous awards and accolades in the audio press, including 2013 Product of the Year from The Absolute Sound for the Aeris, TAS Golden Ear and Editor's Choice Awards, Audioholics Product of the Year, Home Theater Magazine Top Picks, and many others. In addition, Legacy launched the highly successful Aeris speaker, and the new improved Dual Air Motion Tweeters in the Focus SE, Aeris, and Whisper speakers

Legacy is also making many upgrades and improvements to most of their speakers, effective immediately. They are as follows:

1. A new Whisper XDS model for 2014, with upgraded Kimber Kable Silver HF wiring, upgraded Clarity HF Caps in the crossover, and improved amplifier punch for the woofer section with dual 500 watts ICEPower amps.

2. All 2014 speakers with 7" drivers will get a new, improved 7" Silver/Graphite driver, with an even bigger motor structure. The new motor reduces distortion even further, extends the bottom end deeper, and increases power handling significantly. (I believe these upgraded drivers will be used in the Signature SE, Focus SE, and Whispers).

3. The 2014 Aeris will now have double the amp power - a 500 watt ICEPower amp in each speaker, powering the woofers. Bill D has also added an additional 15" downfiring passive radiator on the botltom of the Aeris. The Aeris gets the Kimber Kable Silver HF wiring and Clarity Cap upgrade for 2014, as well as two new finish options - Copper or Cabernet Pommele Sapele.

As a result of all of these improvements, the cost of production has understandably gone up, causing the increased pricing for 2014. Legacy is clearly a custom handbuilt high end brand that prides itself on being Made in the USA, as well as offering great value compared to many other high end brands. Legacy keeps improving their products every year, and their 20+ year success leads me to believe they're doing alot of things right!
post #426 of 472
Thanks Dennis for all the info on the Legacy speakers! Sounds like they are doing a lot of great upgrades!
post #427 of 472
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrolicBeast View Post

Whoa Whoa Whoa...

Big Ant, please do not bring the negativity and arrogance that runs rampant on the Theta Thread onto this thread.  That rudeness is par for the course over there, but we have happy, genuine enthusiasts here.  I no longer own Legacy, and still I come here to enjoy the discussions.

When I walked into the Legacy Audio room at AXPONA this year, and mentioned that I was going to be buying a pair of Legacy Focus SE's from Dennis, Bill Dudleston knew who I was talking about.  Dennis is the guy who goes with Bill to setup complex systems for reviewers and at this very moment, he has at least four or five different Legacy Audio models in his theater.  If anything, I'd say he's the best person to contact about anything Legacy related, whether to place an order, or to ask how to screw in the carpet spikes. 

Again, no negativity needed. 

No negativity implied. I'm neither rude nor arrogant. If you read my earlier posts without injecting or projecting your own emotion into them, you may find that I'm simply trying to bring up a point for discussion.

By the way: I'm a "happy, genuine enthusiast" and I still own Legacy (and have for 20 years - many models).

In case you all don't know: discussion of pricing other than MSRP is strictly forbidden on the AVS forum. That's the rule; I didn't make this up. Check out the Theta thread and you will see the group over there was recently reminded of this fact by a moderator. When someone asks for a price and says something akin to "ahem, I'll, uh PM you (wink, wink) for pricing to my door (nudge, nudge)" you think that's for MSRP? Come now, let's be adults. If this puts me on a high horse, as someone suggested, so be it.



The following is what the moderator posted:

"Thought I would quote the VERY FIRST POST in this thread, which many of you seem to have - oddly - missed. This is a technical forum. I've removed the back-and-forth about internet vs brick-and-mortar sales and some sales announcements. I was surprised how far I could go and still find posts not conforming to instructions laid out in the very FIRST post of the thread.

From here on out, dealer or sales talk, marketing or pricing conversations will result in being removed from participation in the thread."


I think the real negativity, rudeness, and arrogance enters in when everyone and their brother is trying to PM a dealer to get a deal, for example, before a price hike. Do you have any idea what this does to another dealer who doesn't regularly read this board? How about what it does to dealers in general?

If you don't require the services of a dealer and want direct mail order service I think it's the right thing to go straight to Legacy.

I'd say the best person to contact regarding Legacy would be Bill D. or Doug B., but that's just my opinion.

Edited by 777BigAnt777 - 12/26/13 at 8:43pm
post #428 of 472
Quote:
Originally Posted by 777BigAnt777 View Post

No negativity implied. I'm neither rude nor arrogant. If you read my earlier posts without injecting or projecting your own emotion into them, you may find that I'm simply trying to bring up a point for discussion.

By the way: I'm a "happy, genuine enthusiast" and I still own Legacy (and have for 20 years - many models).

In case you all don't know: discussion of pricing other than MSRP is strictly forbidden on the AVS forum. That's the rule; I didn't make this up. Check out the Theta thread and you will see the group over there was recently reminded of this fact by a moderator. When someone asks for a price and says something akin to "ahem, I'll, uh PM you (wink, wink) for pricing to my door (nudge, nudge)" you think that's for MSRP? Come now, let's be adults. If this puts me on a high horse, as someone suggested, so be it.



The following is what the moderator posted:

"Thought I would quote the VERY FIRST POST in this thread, which many of you seem to have - oddly - missed. This is a technical forum. I've removed the back-and-forth about internet vs brick-and-mortar sales and some sales announcements. I was surprised how far I could go and still find posts not conforming to instructions laid out in the very FIRST post of the thread.

From here on out, dealer or sales talk, marketing or pricing conversations will result in being removed from participation in the thread."


I think the real negativity, rudeness, and arrogance enters in when everyone and their brother is trying to PM a dealer to get a deal, for example, before a price hike. Do you have any idea what this does to another dealer who doesn't regularly read this board? How about what it does to dealers in general?

If you don't require the services of a dealer and want direct mail order service I think it's the right thing to go straight to Legacy.

I'd say the best person to contact regarding Legacy would be Bill D. or Doug B., but that's just my opinion.

One of the possible reasons for the strong reaction to your posts may be the large point size on the type; it can easily "shout" to some. I would suggest a more regular point size on the text, which would come across less aggressively.

I think Legacy speakers are great, even without having heard them. My concern (other than cost) is that they would be too much speaker for the modest room I have. I also live in an apartment, so there are neighbors to consider. They don't hear my system now, so that's good. Which model do you have currently? It is a fantasy at this point (and may remain so), but I woudn't mind having Focus SEs; the McIntosh XR200 is my other fantasy choice. But having become accustomed to my Mirages, which are bipolar, I wonder how a "box" speaker will sound to me as far as the soundfield goes.
post #429 of 472
I certainly never mentioned anything other than MSRP prices in any of my posts, so methinks you are just trying to stir up trouble, BigAnt... in fact, I directed an AVS member to PM me, precisely to comply with the site rules.

Like it or not, Legacy has moved beyond the factory direct model, and they now support a network of dealers. Yes, you can still call the company and talk to Bill D. and Doug, but most of the time they are going to refer you to one of their authorized dealers if there is one within reasonable driving distance.

All Authorized Legacy Audio dealers have Legacy speakers set up and ready for listening. We dont charge "extra" for our services, so it really is in your best interest to get to know and support your local dealer. I'm sure Bill and Doug would agree with that.

Without your direct support, there would be nowhere to go to hear these great speakers before buying except the factory in Springfield IL.
Edited by DMark1 - 12/27/13 at 6:20pm
post #430 of 472
For any here who might be interested, I am selling a Silverscreen HD speaker in the audio section of the classified ads here on AVS. Thanks.
post #431 of 472
Ok this has been a long time coming as I've been wanting to share my Legacy experience here with you AVS members.

I visited Legacy last year, as part of my speaker auditions. My room is small so a bookshelf speaker is a better fit and the StudioHDs had me interested. I had not heard a ribbon tweeter before and from what I have read from legacy and other brands is that manufacturers seem to have cracked the egg for making good ribbon tweeters with good performance. I had already listened to Paradigm Studio 20 and studio 10, both v5, the Revel Performa 3 m106 and m105, totem acoustics dreamcatchers and Sonus Faber Venere 1.5 and also 2.0 So far the Performa 3 were winning (m105). Which were closer to my budget. The venere 1.5 was a little cheaper, but I was willing to stretch to the Revel.

So due to a business trip to south of Winsconsin, I checked and was not too far away from Legacy. It was like a 3hr drive, but to me it was worth it since I would not make a flight to IL from Puerto Rico just for the sake of demoing the speakers. (Although I wish I could afford to do so)

So I made an appointment and got there to demo the StudioHDs. I had a chance to meet some people from the crew and Bill Dudleston himself. He is a true passionate of what he does and nothing short of a gentleman. I had a great time during my visit! He showed me around the place and I got to see the whole lineup. These speakers are beautiful! All of them! and their craftmanship is first rate! Bill explained to me about the importance to get the drums and cymbals right, if he does not hear that, he knows something is wrong. Cymbals in particular, with their decay and their different sounds are very difficult to convey properly. If you get that right, you are most lf the way there, so to speak. They have their own studio onsite so he showed me a recording of a drum solo they made and let me tell you.. The studio HDs are very very good speakers! They were very dynamic and played loudly without distortion! I was very impressed. I am also a drummer (a self taught amateur really) and when I listen to music I tend to focus on drums, trying to catch the little nuances of the drum parts. There are dozens of drum sounds that unless you are listening to a good system, you loose them, and these speakers were putting everything there. Next I played some of my music. I took my laptop with JRiverMC and used their audioengine d2 dac and off I went to their amps. I played Maná - el relojito cucú and there was a drum part, very subtle but was clearly audible. Before I could barely listen to that part, but with that speaker, everything was presented there in a wide and very well delineated soundstage and spectacular imaging. I went from latin rock, latin jazz, salsa, some samba, pop, jazz, heavy metal, prog rock, classical... I mean, I listen to different kinds of music as you can see, and I played a lot of music and they handled everything very very well. They are very acourate and even. I didn't feel like anything was accentuated in any way. What comes in comes out. Good 24bit recordings were awesome. Bad recordings sounded bad. Crappy mp3s (yes, I heard mp3s here too, lol) sounded crappy, but some good recordings I also had on mp3 sounded very nice too to be fair.

The AMT tweeter they use is something special. I got to confirm how detailed, airy and smooth these things are! But even more special to me is the woofer. An 8" monster on a bookshelf that handles everything from around 3.5khz all the way to around 47 is amazing. Bill explained how the woofer is more like a super woofer. The rohacel material is very light but also rigid and its what allows it to have such a high range without distortion. There is more to it than the material itself, the magnet is massive and accounts for a lot of the almost 30 pounds this thing weights. They also use another magnet inside the phase plug to control the woofer better as well. A lot of thinking and technology was employed here. Not something you see every day.

I also got to hear the WhisperXD....., it was like, it's not even funny. They are on another level altogether. At that point, the other tower speakers I had heard that were on the same price level were the Sonus Faber Elipsa. I have heard them several times, but thy don't hold a candle against the Whispers. It's like.... Imagine the best speaker you've heard, one that can give you a clean image of whats going on, sort of like looking through a very clean window. Well, with the Whisper, just remove the window. Everything was that much better, the highs, the mids, the bass (oh man, the bass!!). What surprised me most about it is its design. Bill told me that speaker is like an acoustic shotgun. They are very directional speaker, but their listening window is very wide due to their rather big baffle. Bit everything inside that window is even and clear giving you a wide sweetspot and great bass! You move 90 deg to the side, and you dont hear almost anything. It is a very versatile speaker and Bill told me he had been able to make them work in rooms as small as 8 x 8. That's crazy! The trick is in the bass processor that the Aeris also inherited from this design.

At the moment I did the demo I was not in pisition to buy the speakers. But unfortunately after some time saving, I was not able to buy them. The 2014 price increase and the high cost of shipping to Puerto Rico ( these are very heavy speakers) put them on a price level that was out of what I was able to stretch my budget. But wanted to share my story with you as my specific situation is very different from the majority of Legacy's prospective customers who can buy from a dealer directly without worrying about these extra costs.

I want to thank DMark1 for his help and for answering all my questions. I have nothing but very good things to say about Dennis and Legacy, especially Bill Dudleston!

I will later post some pics for your enjoyment.

EDIT: Here are some pictures I took over the visit. Enjoy














Edited by eliwankenobi - 2/17/14 at 9:20am
post #432 of 472
I am so jealous that you got this opportunity. I was about two hours away from them a couple of summers ago and dying that I still could not drop by. I so want to hear the Whisper - have wanted to for half my life. Sounds like they really are pretty sweet.
post #433 of 472
Hello!

Yes! The Whisper is everything that has been talked about in forums and reviews. It is that good! My impression of that speaker is engraved in my memory for ever.
post #434 of 472
Quote:
Originally Posted by bkeeler10 View Post

I am so jealous that you got this opportunity. I was about two hours away from them a couple of summers ago and dying that I still could not drop by. I so want to hear the Whisper - have wanted to for half my life. Sounds like they really are pretty sweet.

Hey Brian, where are you located again? Maybe we can find you a nearby dealer or Whisper customer that would be willing to let you give the Whispers a listen...
post #435 of 472
I'm in Utah. Not aware of a dealer close by. From a sales perspective it is completely pointless because they are out of my budget by about an order of magnitude.

I do have a pair of Studio HD in my possession but don't have an amp or receiver to listen to them with (the amp I use is specific to my set of active speakers, and doesn't have a full-range output).
post #436 of 472
I have a question on Legacy center channel selection.

Legacy recommends the Marquis for the Focus SE's.

How much of a difference between the SilverscreenHD and the Marquis would there be? The Silverscreen is half the price.
post #437 of 472
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhrischuk View Post

I have a question on Legacy center channel selection.

Legacy recommends the Marquis for the Focus SE's.

How much of a difference between the SilverscreenHD and the Marquis would there be? The Silverscreen is half the price.

Big difference in low frequency extension, which is important to me. Other than that, not sure.
post #438 of 472
Perhaps if don't have a very large theater and will crossover to nothing below 80hz, you might get away with it... Bit I guess the key here is the actual theater space
post #439 of 472
Thanks.

I have a brand new Silverscreen for sale and just picked up a Marquis.
post #440 of 472
Congrats!

That's a monster of a center channel! When i saw that thing I was like. Whaaa!!!?
post #441 of 472
Yea gonna have to move the plasma up a few inches.
post #442 of 472
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhrischuk View Post

I have a question on Legacy center channel selection.

Legacy recommends the Marquis for the Focus SE's.

How much of a difference between the SilverscreenHD and the Marquis would there be? The Silverscreen is half the price.

Beyond additional low frequency extension, the Marquis has increased piston area, which moves more air, and creates a bigger overall presentation. The piston area is more in line with the Focus SEs than the Silverscreen, which is why Legacy feels the Marquis is a better match. Another benefit is even lower distortion and increased overall output capability. Basically, you get more performance for your money.

All that said, the Silverscreen is a very capable center speaker, and if it suits your budget better, I don't think you'll be disappointed at all with how it sounds. It does sound great.
post #443 of 472
Quote:
Originally Posted by DMark1 View Post

Beyond additional low frequency extension, the Marquis has increased piston area, which moves more air, and creates a bigger overall presentation. The piston area is more in line with the Focus SEs than the Silverscreen, which is why Legacy feels the Marquis is a better match. Another benefit is even lower distortion and increased overall output capability. Basically, you get more performance for your money.

All that said, the Silverscreen is a very capable center speaker, and if it suits your budget better, I don't think you'll be disappointed at all with how it sounds. It does sound great.

There are those that use a trio of the same speakers across the front so this isn't that bad (good). I like the idea of a more matched driver array. Heading out to Chambersburg today.
Edited by mhrischuk - 2/20/14 at 1:57am
post #444 of 472
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhrischuk View Post

There are those that use a trio of the same speakers across the front so this isn't that bad (good). I like the idea of a more matched driver array. Heading out to Chambersburg today.

what's in Chambersburg? If you are in Chambersburg often, we should set up a time to have you come to my demo room sometime. I'm in Lancaster, about an hour away.
post #445 of 472
Quote:
Originally Posted by DMark1 View Post


what's in Chambersburg? If you are in Chambersburg often, we should set up a time to have you come to my demo room sometime. I'm in Lancaster, about an hour away.

 

Picked up a Marquis from a seller on here, I believe you know Derek. Brolic's former unit.

I don't normally drive out that way but it's funny as I've been to Chambersburg twice now in the last 4 months. Once to visit Bri-Mar trailers and today to pick up the Marquis.

Lancaster isn't far. Maybe Gorrilla and I will have to pay you a visit. I live right around the corner from Andrew.

 

Bought a shed from Riehl Quality sheds in Kinzer last year. 

post #446 of 472
If anyone from the Texas area would like to visit the Austin Audio Fest, it is happening March 28th and 29th.
Legacy will have three large demo rooms, and we'll be playing the Whisper XDS, Focus SE, Signature SE and more!

It is free and there are prizes to be handed out as well.
More information is available here: http://legacyaudio.com/images/uploads/reviews/Austin_Audio_Fest_Press_Release.pdf

Happy listening!

James at Legacy
post #447 of 472
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesAtLegacy View Post

If anyone from the Texas area would like to visit the Austin Audio Fest, it is happening March 28th and 29th.
Legacy will have three large demo rooms, and we'll be playing the Whisper XDS, Focus SE, Signature SE and more!

It is free and there are prizes to be handed out as well.
More information is available here: http://legacyaudio.com/images/uploads/reviews/Austin_Audio_Fest_Press_Release.pdf

Happy listening!

James at Legacy

Holy smokes, this is fantastic! smile.gif I live in Tyler, TX, so I can make it there in about 5 hours.

By any chance, will you be demo-ing a MarquisHD or Silver ScreenHD? I have tried four or five different center channel speakers, including an older Silver Screen, but have utterly failed to match the vocal quality I get from running my set of Signature II(front mains) in "phantom mode". With every center speaker I've tried, I lose the baritone quality of male voice(i.e., Jeremy Irons) no matter what crossover settings I employ.

I still like the Signature IIs, but I don't find them particularly dynamic and I'm sure the driver technology has advanced quite a bit in the interim.
post #448 of 472
Great, be sure to introduce yourself at the show! Bill and Doug will be there.

The newest version of Silverscreen HD will outperform the older version. With extension down to 41 Hz it will provide more then enough for baritone, and even bass voices. Marquis will certainly perform better- it is the perfect match for Focus SE, and is a much larger speaker.
Silverscreen HD is often paired with Signature. If you like, we can bring them both to the show for you to compare?

All the best,
James at Legacy
post #449 of 472
How do we know what the version is of a Legacy speaker?
post #450 of 472
Perhaps they are labeled mkii ?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Speakers
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Speakers › Legacy Audio Speakers