or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Speakers › ***The Official Ascend Acoustics Sierra Thread***
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

***The Official Ascend Acoustics Sierra Thread*** - Page 86

post #2551 of 3097
I just got a pair of Sierra 1 with Nrt upgrade. However, the I'm not able to get the matching center because of it won't fit in my cabinet. Any suggestion for a closest matching center that 7 inch high or less? Thanks.
post #2552 of 3097
Quote:
Originally Posted by brianle View Post

i just got a pair of sierra 1 with nrt upgrade. However, the i'm not able to get the matching center because of it won't fit in my cabinet. Any suggestion for a closest matching center that 7 inch high or less? Thanks.

I would try and HTM-200SE.
post #2553 of 3097
Quote:
Originally Posted by cschang View Post

I would try and HTM-200SE.

I need something 7 inch or less in height
post #2554 of 3097
Quote:
Originally Posted by brianle View Post

I need something 7 inch or less in height

The HTM-200SE center mounted horizontally is 6.5" tall.
post #2555 of 3097
My bad. Didn't catch that
post #2556 of 3097
How would the Sierra 1's be as surround speakers. Originaly was thinking of the 170's but the sale is almost to good to give up. I have Paradigm Monitor 9's fronts LCR350 center and ADP150 surrounds.

Jeff
post #2557 of 3097
Quote:
Originally Posted by pronghorn/az View Post

How would the Sierra 1's be as surround speakers. Originaly was thinking of the 170's but the sale is almost to good to give up. I have Paradigm Monitor 9's fronts LCR350 center and ADP150 surrounds.

They work great as surrounds, but I am not sure I use them that way in your setup.
post #2558 of 3097
Questions for you guys.

I'm seriously considering the Sierra 1's but concerned that my existing rack (holding all A/V gear + 67" tv) can only handle a maximun of an 8" center.

My concern (and question) is can I install the 340-SE center and will it blend well enough for the Sierras? I could use a Sierra 1 as a center but then couldn't angle it up toward our siting position. The Sierra 1 center would be at approx (guessing as I'm not home to measure) 12-13" off the floor.

A 340 SE at 7.5" could be angled up a bit though I'm still not sure it's enough. Currently I have a Paradigm cc170 in there now and it's angled perfectly (yes this is a big step up for me and I'm excited).

I could push the TV stand/rack back another 3-4" and maybe use a small center stand in front of everything but it would definately not get past the wife (unless I have to instist it's the only way).

My other question is in placement of the Sierra 1's. How far forward of the TV should they be? I'll estimate that my existing L/R speakers are about 5" from the TV stand, 2.5' from the back wall, and maybe 2' from each side wall.

Much apreciated.

Drew
post #2559 of 3097
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew888 View Post

Questions for you guys.

I'm seriously considering the Sierra 1's but concerned that my existing rack (holding all A/V gear + 67" tv) can only handle a maximun of an 8" center.

My concern (and question) is can I install the 340-SE center and will it blend well enough for the Sierras? I could use a Sierra 1 as a center but then couldn't angle it up toward our siting position. The Sierra 1 center would be at approx (guessing as I'm not home to measure) 12-13" off the floor.

A 340 SE at 7.5" could be angled up a bit though I'm still not sure it's enough. Currently I have a Paradigm cc170 in there now and it's angled perfectly (yes this is a big step up for me and I'm excited).

Isn't the Sierra 1 center (horizontally positioned) the same height as the 340SE center?
post #2560 of 3097
You are correct. I had it in my head that it was 8".

Now can I tilt it up that .5" to point it to my ears while seated? I suppose I'll find out but I know it's going to be a little off but I don't have a clue what a real difference it makes. Am I compromising leaving it this way or do I really need a center stand?
post #2561 of 3097
Quote:
Originally Posted by chas_w View Post

Isn't the Sierra 1 center (horizontally positioned) the same height as the 340SE center?

Yes, and it has the same depth, as well, which matters somewhat because it will be tilted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew888 View Post

My concern (and question) is can I install the 340-SE center and will it blend well enough for the Sierras? I could use a Sierra 1 as a center but then couldn't angle it up toward our siting position.

You can angle it exactly the same as the 340SE, so use a Sierra-1 center.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew888 View Post

A 340 SE at 7.5" could be angled up a bit though I'm still not sure it's enough. Currently I have a Paradigm cc170 in there now and it's angled perfectly (yes this is a big step up for me and I'm excited).

How much is your CC-170 tilted upward? Tell me that (height in inches at the very front of the speaker), and I'll tell you how far forward you'd have to move the Sierra-1 in order to match it.

Running through some sample numbers ahead of time, the bad news is that you'd probably have to move the Sierra-1 so far forward that it would lose its balance. However, the good news is that the most your CC-170 can be tilted upward now is probably less than 10 degrees, which should be well within the Sierra-1 center's vertical listening window--in short, you don't even have to tilt it. By all means do so, as it helps avoid some floor-bounce in your case and it's better than nothing, but your new center should sound fine regardless.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew888 View Post

My other question is in placement of the Sierra 1's. How far forward of the TV should they be?

It doesn't take much, and not so far that they'd be in front of the center speaker.

EDIT: I just noticed that the Sierra-1's measurements page is messed up, showing exactly the same graphs as the vertical bookshelf version's page. What I said earlier should still apply, though.
post #2562 of 3097
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew888 View Post

You are correct. I had it in my head that it was 8".

Now can I tilt it up that .5" to point it to my ears while seated? I suppose I'll find out but I know it's going to be a little off but I don't have a clue what a real difference it makes. Am I compromising leaving it this way or do I really need a center stand?

Hi Drew888,

When positioned horizontally, the Sierra-1 will have wide and symmetrical vertical dispersion: +/- 3dB up to 10kHz at 30 degrees off-axis compared to on-axis. You are probably within 10 degrees off-axis at your listening position in which case the speaker is +/- 1 dB compared to on-axis.

Robert Cook is correct, angling the speaker upward a few degrees is really not necessary in this type of installation. Of course, it can't hurt but don't stress about it --- Sierra-1 are quite versatile with regard to placement
post #2563 of 3097
Thank you both for you input! It's very much apreciated.

The Paradigm system I have is 12-13 years old and after about 2-3 weeks of Internet searching/reading it seems clear that the Sierras are the best bang for the buck.

Family life is much too busy to afford me any time on a weekend to demo. So far I have taken two days off to attempt it and came home with an HSU VTF3 sub that is fantastic. I'll have to assume the Sierras are leagues ahead of what I have, having read someone mention they were better than Paradigm Studio 20's (and then some). That should be good enough for now.

The family and I are 90% movie but when I do listen to music I'll spend some time really focused on it. I appreciate as close to an accurate reproduction as I can get for the $ spent and I think this will do the trick.
post #2564 of 3097
Considering a 5x Sierra-1 surround-music & HT setup, listening area is front half of 12' x 30' room in a creaky wood-frame apartment building.

All of the following have been mentioned as working well with Sierra-1's:
- Rythmik FV12 $550
- Epik Legend $500
- Outlaw LFM-1 Plus $550
- HSU VTF-2 MK4 $550
- SVS SB12-NSD $650 - metal grill
- Outlaw LFM-1 EX $650
- HSU VTF-3 MK4 $700
- Rythmik F12 $870
- Rythmik F12G $870

Rythmik subs are supposed to be the best match to Sierra-1's, per Ascend's own recommendation, and cschang noting that while a HSU sub was good with his Sierra-1's, the blending wasn't quite as seamless as when he finally got a Rythmik.

The SVS SB12-NSD stands out because it has a metal grill - guaranteed to be more cat-proof than cloth grills. The down-firing drivers of the HSU's should also be somewhat cat-proof as well.

I would hate to get a sub for its' great SQ only for a cat to shred it to pieces.
post #2565 of 3097
You could always leave the grill off. A cat most likely won't find a naked woofer very interesting.

Having said that, I went though the same thought process as you. I bought a 12" Direct Servo kit from Rythmik and built an enclosure. I decided to add a grill later on, and have 3 cats to contend with. I constructed a wood frame with a perforated metal screen. Since the sub is now in a finished basement where it's off limits to our trio of felines, the grill is not used.
post #2566 of 3097
Anyone know when the Sierra 1 spring sale ends? They've been on my wish list for a few years now, but my wife may need some convincing. BTW, has anyone been able to compare the Sierra 1s to B&W 685s? The reason I ask is we have a pair of 685s in the living room and my wife and I both like them a lot. Without a doubt the first question my wife is going to ask is why not just get another pair of those for the family room. I can show her all the stellar professional reviews of the Sierra 1s, but she's definitely going to want to know how the sound differs from the 685s. Any insights would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
post #2567 of 3097
Quote:
Originally Posted by UTSoxFan View Post

Anyone know when the Sierra 1 spring sale ends? They've been on my wish list for a few years now, but my wife may need some convincing. BTW, has anyone been able to compare the Sierra 1s to B&W 685s? The reason I ask is we have a pair of 685s in the living room and my wife and I both like them a lot. Without a doubt the first question my wife is going to ask is why not just get another pair of those for the family room. I can show her all the stellar professional reviews of the Sierra 1s, but she's definitely going to want to know how the sound differs from the 685s. Any insights would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

The sale just started, so I guess it will be a while. Best to call Ascend and confirm.

As for the Sierras and 685s....the 600 series bookshelves have been compared the the CBM-170 and CMT-340, and most favoring the Ascends.

That said, get a pair, do the trial, and compare....that is the best way.
post #2568 of 3097
Quote:


Anyone know when the Sierra 1 spring sale ends? They've been on my wish list for a few years now, but my wife may need some convincing. BTW, has anyone been able to compare the Sierra 1s to B&W 685s? The reason I ask is we have a pair of 685s in the living room and my wife and I both like them a lot. Without a doubt the first question my wife is going to ask is why not just get another pair of those for the family room. I can show her all the stellar professional reviews of the Sierra 1s, but she's definitely going to want to know how the sound differs from the 685s. Any insights would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

I agree with cschang. You should audition them. The Sierras are much more neutral and offer superior clarity (especially with voices) IMHO. Sound quality is of course the most important quality of a speaker but it doesn't hurt that the Sierras have beautiful cabinet finishes that you simply can't get from other manufacturers at this price point. I have a pair of 685s and they are decent speakers but not in the same class as the Sierra-1s.
post #2569 of 3097
Quote:
Originally Posted by UTSoxFan View Post

Anyone know when the Sierra 1 spring sale ends? They've been on my wish list for a few years now, but my wife may need some convincing. BTW, has anyone been able to compare the Sierra 1s to B&W 685s? The reason I ask is we have a pair of 685s in the living room and my wife and I both like them a lot. Without a doubt the first question my wife is going to ask is why not just get another pair of those for the family room. I can show her all the stellar professional reviews of the Sierra 1s, but she's definitely going to want to know how the sound differs from the 685s. Any insights would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1386720

The review compares the Sierras, B&W 685's & CM5 amogst some other well respected brands...it was a fun and informative read...I enjoyed it.

YMMV...though...
post #2570 of 3097
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy p View Post

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1386720

The review compares the Sierras, B&W 685's & CM5 amogst some other well respected brands...it was a fun and informative read...I enjoyed it.

YMMV...though...

Thanks everyone for your suggestions, and especially to Billy p for the comparison thread - definitely a great read, and very informative. Time to place an order!

PS. Can anyone recommend a reasonably priced speaker stand that will match up well with the piano black Sierras?
post #2571 of 3097
Quote:
Originally Posted by UTSoxFan View Post

PS. Can anyone recommend a reasonably priced speaker stand that will match up well with the piano black Sierras?

Any speaker stand will do fine as long as it is rated for the weight of the Sierra, it is the general height for when you are listening, and it looks good to you.
post #2572 of 3097
Quote:
Originally Posted by UTSoxFan View Post

Can anyone recommend a reasonably priced speaker stand that will match up well with the piano black Sierras?

How about these?
post #2573 of 3097
Speaking of stands, of the ones I'm most interested in I have only a 24" or 30" option yet my (ideal) ear level would be a 26" option.

Should I go 30" and sit up? ...lol Or does it just not matter enough? My thought is that it would also be a little easier to enjoy them if standing around the room if they were on 30's.
post #2574 of 3097
Dave recommneded to me the Sanus SF series for my Sierra 1's. The ideal height for me was also was 26 and so... I ordered some....they aslo come in 30" & 34" heights. Those glass ones sure look nice but with the tubular build of the Sanus SF you can fill them with sand or buckshot which only adds to their stability and they're already constructed out of heavy duty steel.

http://www.sanus.com/ca/en/products/...tions/sp-steel


Here what it looked like...
post #2575 of 3097
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew888 View Post

Speaking of stands, of the ones I'm most interested in I have only a 24" or 30" option yet my (ideal) ear level would be a 26" option.

Should I go 30" and sit up? ...lol Or does it just not matter enough? My thought is that it would also be a little easier to enjoy them if standing around the room if they were on 30's.

Either one would be fine. You will be not even a few degrees off.
post #2576 of 3097
Thanks Billy, I just ordered the same ones.

I bought the espresso Sierra-1's (beautiful finish, great color. Really nice contrast with all else being black) over the weekend and can only install the center until the stands arrive.

It did fit into the tv stand and I had just enough room to angle them up perfectly (used rubber door stops cut in 1/2) and it came out great!

Once they arrive this Thursday I'll post up pics of everything.



[quote=Billy p;22085550]Dave recommneded to me the Sanus SF series for my Sierra 1's. The ideal height for me was also was 26 and so... I ordered some....they aslo come in 30" & 34" heights. Those glass ones sure look nice but with the tubular build of the Sanus SF you can fill them with sand or buckshot which only adds to their stability and they're already constructed out of heavy duty steel.

http://www.sanus.com/ca/en/products/...tions/sp-steel
post #2577 of 3097
Quote:
Originally Posted by HOTDIGITY View Post

You could always leave the grill off. A cat most likely won't find a naked woofer very interesting.

Having said that, I went though the same thought process as you. I bought a 12" Direct Servo kit from Rythmik and built an enclosure. I decided to add a grill later on, and have 3 cats to contend with. I constructed a wood frame with a perforated metal screen. Since the sub is now in a finished basement where it's off limits to our trio of felines, the grill is not used.

Thanks - from what you and others have reported, there's probably little need to cat-proof a subwoofer. And my current subwoofer has been OK for the past 6 months. Although someone's cat did manage to pinhole a speaker surround.

I've ordered the Sierra-1's and will be focusing on setting up them up, so subwoofer issues will be for later.
post #2578 of 3097
Are there Nrt tweets available for home upgrades?
I am thinking its time to give my sierra 1s a bit of sheen, I also have an
original Submersive 1 with the 1k amp that i wish to upgrade to HP status.
For about a grand I can give my whole setup a wee makeover!

cheers,
post #2579 of 3097
NrT home upgrade kits are available for $190/speaker - contact Ascend Acoustics for availability.
post #2580 of 3097
thanks for that info!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Speakers
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Speakers › ***The Official Ascend Acoustics Sierra Thread***