or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › Rear Projection Units › Mitsubishi wd-52725 dlp problems
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Mitsubishi wd-52725 dlp problems

post #1 of 22
Thread Starter 
Wd-52725 dlp is costing me an arm and a leg!
Purchased this set in Jan. 2005 for $3400.00 (made 12/2004). Picture in HD is great but......
I'm not happy with the cost of ownership as of this date. I have replaced the bulb in june of 06($250) and had a service cleaning in November of 06($300 do it yourself savings). Last week(5/15/07) the set shut off with a red led light on. Another bulb issue. Called Mitsubishi and at this point they will not cover any costs since the set is out of its 1 year warranty.
I talked with a local service shop and they want $100 for a service diagnostic check. They mentioned that the ballast/engine may be causing the bulb to blow prior to the bulbs end of life. This will cost major cash (600-1100$$)
This last bulb had less than 2000 hours (11 mo. )
Called Mitsu customer service and they said bulbs have a wide varied life span. "about 2000 hours is normal".
NOT WHAT THE SALESMAN AT RETAIL STORE SAID.
I was expecting to shell out $300 every 5000 hours.
Bottom line is my set is 2 years old and i have spent $800 to date.
I hope its only a bulb. Guess i will have to wait a few months to find out.
post #2 of 22
bulbs/lamps do certainly have varialbe lifespans. unfortunately you are on the short end of the average 2X so far...... the lamp warning light comes on at 4000 hours. My salesman never mention needing to change a lamp although mits claimed it was a requirement to sell their sets, i was alot less informed before I purchased the set. i bought a 62525 in feb 2005 for $3600. had first lamp go out in summer 2006 but it had almost 9000 hours on it, well over average. Still complained to Mits and they lowered the lamp price to $200 and sent me a $75 refund check "customer appreciation" so final lamp cost was $125 for my first lamp out of warranty. About time to get another spare lamp. It does need an internal cleaning at least twice a year because of the dirty mirror issue. I don't need this kind of maintenence either and next display will be a plasma, sealed, no lamps and 60,000 hours till half brightness.
post #3 of 22
Thread Starter 
Well my above post was actually solved in july 2007. It was a power transformer unit internal to the set that feeds voltage to the bulb assembly.
After several calls to mitsubishi level 2 service center they payed for the parts. My local repair shop charged me $254 for the diagnosis and repair(a fair price for their knowledge). I also replaced the bulb at that time hoping to have an event free tv viewing experience for at least 1 year.
Well guess what?
Its Dec. 30 2007 and my set lost the picture only to have sound!
I now must start the entire bullsh%$ process all over again.
This set started out at $ about 3,500 in 1/2005 . the maint. costs are now over $1000 and climbing.
Not to mention lost tv viewing time. So much for watching the Ball drop New years eve with 30 people in my home last night.
Currently thinking of getting a law firm to deal with Mitsubishi.
post #4 of 22
Thread Starter 
By the way, the set lasted 5 months after the above repair.
Currently buying another set for my living room. Any suggestions. Want a wall mounted 1080p unit. DLP is out for me and absolutly will not be a MITSUBISHI product.
Thanks
post #5 of 22
Thread Starter 
My set, wd-52725 update:
Back on Dec 30th 2007, i contacted mitsubishi Consumer Service level 1 and got no help. I requested level 2 and they said the guys were out of the office until Jan 2nd 2008. They processed a "call back" for that date (Jan 2nd 2008). Well its Jan 7th and i never got a call back!
So i again called the 1-800-332-2119 and was taken by a level 1 person and finally transferred to level 2 (a 35 min. process).
Charles a level 2 person listened very well but offered no solution, suggestion or idea of what they could do for me (the customer). He wants me to talk to a tech to see if they can diagnos it over the phone.
I expressed my dismay by telling him there is no lights indicating an error or error code when the 2 code buttons are depressed.
His answer........ another agent will contact me in "2-3 days".
Great service!
Meanwhile i contacted my local repair shop and the next available appointment is in about a week.
Five months ago they replaced the bulb and the bulb balast
part numbers-------- 915p020010 and 939p978010.
Since its been an ongoing issue i want qualified Mitsu service guys to continue with the repairs. Looking like at least another $260 for diagnosis and repair. Not sure about any support from Mitsubishi at this time.
Our 19" looks great in front of the 52".
post #6 of 22
Hi guys I talked with Harry Shulman the attorney that is putting the Class action lawsuit together on Mitsubishi. He is trying to get some of US Replacement TV , some will get Money back Or longer warranty.
But when you email him you need to give him all of your problems with TV and any money out of pocket
The more people that sign up the Better it will be for US
harry@millslawfirm.com
http://www.hdtvmagazine.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=8887
post #7 of 22
Thread Starter 
Well of course they didn't call me back after 2-3 days. I called them and wasted another 30 min on the "Costomer Service" line.
Got through to Charles and he claims my AGENT handling the issue was not in the office(Tyrone). I never spoke to a Tyrone. WTF.
I asked for a supervisor and guess what, they will call me back in 2-3 more days. Charlie is sounding like they may cover the parts. My local service guys come tuesday.
I again expressed my dismay to the fact that this set is a poor design and unreliable. Will i have to go through this every 5 mo.?
Will keep everyone posted on the service and repair.
NO 52" TV during the playoffs !!!!!!!!!
post #8 of 22
Thread Starter 
Well its now 1/19/08 and the wd-52725 HDTV remains out of service.
My local repair shop came out Tuesday and diagnosed the bulb balast. Same issue as my May 2007 issue.
I had to call the customer service line again and get a FAX number (20 min on hold this time). Forwarded the number to my local repair shop to fax directly to Mitsubishi. I waited wed., thurs., fri. and still no call back from the customer service department.
They never called me back even from the last post. The supervisor was to return my call but never happened.
Now i guess i have to fight/wait/call for them to pick up the tab for parts.

Once again at Mitsubishi ,no one person is accountable for a direct customer issue. No direct phone numbers to anyone. They avoid giving a real name or a last name and you never get "call backs".
post #9 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by dedogfish View Post

Well its now 1/19/08 and the wd-52725 HDTV remains out of service.
My local repair shop came out Tuesday and diagnosed the bulb balast. Same issue as my May 2007 issue.
...
Once again at Mitsubishi ,no one person is accountable for a direct customer issue. No direct phone numbers to anyone. They avoid giving a real name or a last name and you never get "call backs".

Just wanted to confirm -- you get sound but no picture & the shop diagnosed it as a bad ballast card?

Wow, the customer support sounds like a nightmare. I couldn't even get them to send me a stinking firmware update.
post #10 of 22
Thread Starter 
It is now ONE MONTH since my set shut down and still no solution/repair.
Mitsubishi Consumer Relations continues to not return calls, stall, and not provide an answer to how they plan to help a customer who spent $3,469 on a DLP wd-52725.
The latest issue is having to cooridinate my local repair shop(great service from Pecks Electronic) faxing diagnostics sheet and us faxing the "original "sales receipt. Took Mitsubishi 2 days to tell me that the fax is not legible. I gave them all the information over the phone last friday. They were suposed to call back in 1-2 days. They never did! I called today and got some person in a 3rd world country. Had to explain everything again(30 min on phone) only for that person to tell me they can't help because all the people that can help went home at 4:00pm p.t.. WTF!
Now i have to call back first thing thurs morning and start all over.
Looking forward, by the time i order the part (mitsubishi picking up the cost or not), schedule my repair guys , it could be another 3 weeks.
So far i missed 1 mo. of Football playoffs, new shows and not to mension the New Years Ball drop with a house full of people.
This is a bad purchase experience! Will keep people up to date and informed of this issue.
Wish me luck!
post #11 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by dedogfish View Post

It is now ONE MONTH since my set shut down and still no solution/repair.
Mitsubishi Consumer Relations continues to not return calls, stall, and not provide an answer to how they plan to help a customer who spent $3,469 on a DLP wd-52725.
The latest issue is having to cooridinate my local repair shop(great service from Pecks Electronic) faxing diagnostics sheet and us faxing the "original "sales receipt. Took Mitsubishi 2 days to tell me that the fax is not legible. I gave them all the information over the phone last friday. They were suposed to call back in 1-2 days. They never did! I called today and got some person in a 3rd world country. Had to explain everything again(30 min on phone) only for that person to tell me they can't help because all the people that can help went home at 4:00pm p.t.. WTF!
Now i have to call back first thing thurs morning and start all over.
Looking forward, by the time i order the part (mitsubishi picking up the cost or not), schedule my repair guys , it could be another 3 weeks.
So far i missed 1 mo. of Football playoffs, new shows and not to mension the New Years Ball drop with a house full of people.
This is a bad purchase experience! Will keep people up to date and informed of this issue.
Wish me luck!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel Murray View Post

Hi guys I talked with Harry Shulman the attorney that is putting the Class action lawsuit together on Mitsubishi. He is trying to get some of US Replacement TV , some will get Money back Or longer warranty.
But when you email him you need to give him all of your problems with TV and any money out of pocket
The more people that sign up the Better it will be for US
harry@millslawfirm.com
http://www.hdtvmagazine.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=8887

I think you need to sign up
post #12 of 22
Thread Starter 
Still waiting on a call back from my"agent" to determine if they will buy parts, labor and or just give me a credit for a new unit.
12/30/07 to 2/2/08 and the unit remains broken. No HD Super Bowl for me!
When i get an answer i will enquire about the lawsuit.
Some consumer service. lol
post #13 of 22
Thread Starter 
The set remains broken after another visit by my local repair shop. Mitsubishi wanted more information for the set. At this point Mitsubishi is saying they will cover the cost of labor and parts. The dm is defective. The process is very slow. Time will tell if they make good on the money. Parts are back ordered.
2/16/08 set remains defective.
post #14 of 22
Does anyone know how/where I can get a list of part numbers for a 52725? Mine is dead and the repair guy tells me its the color wheel and he also tells me that the color wheel is not a replaceable part; it's part of the Light engine assembly and his estimate to repair it is $2,100.00. I think I can get 2 new ones for that price - so I thought I'd look up the part and see if I can find one cheaper.

Thanks!
post #15 of 22
Criminy, for 1/2 that price you can have a brand new 60737. Or for the same price a brand new 73737. Or split the difference for a 65737. As someone who has both a 62725 (still in service) and a new 60737, that's a no-brainer.

Unless you're one of those guys who just has to tinker with old hardware to keep it alive as long as possible no matter what. I'm not that guy, but I know they are around. "Not that there's anything WRONG with that."

Edit: Btw, Best Buy (and possibly others) swears that they will take your old HDTV with them when they deliver your new one and find a farm for it to romp in the fields in peaceful harmony with other retired HDTVs until the end of its days. Well, okay, actually they promise to attempt to recycle its parts. I do believe that, as they must have quite a bit of warranty work that would make that worthwhile for them.
post #16 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by lehozle View Post

Does anyone know how/where I can get a list of part numbers for a 52725? Mine is dead and the repair guy tells me its the color wheel and he also tells me that the color wheel is not a replaceable part; it's part of the Light engine assembly and his estimate to repair it is $2,100.00. I think I can get 2 new ones for that price - so I thought I'd look up the part and see if I can find one cheaper. Thanks!

did you ask him about the possibility of it being bad capacitors instead of a color wheel/light engine?

have you checked with mits to see if they even have light engines to sell anymore? or sometimes you can find parts for them on ebay since many of these sets do go out due to bad capacitors and people part them out to recoup some funds.

Mits just replaced a set for a guy that had a bad light engine, 4 years old and out of warranty. He had replaced 2 electrical chassis and it still it was not working, when they found out it was a light engine they offered him a new replacement set. check the 52/62x25 owners thread. his post are under his avs name of Patrick Collins. Mits is required by a California consumer protection law to carry functional parts for 7 years. if they do not have the parts then they may replace your set with a new model like a 60737 or make you an offer to correct the issue.
post #17 of 22
I'll do that thanks. Right now I'm in"negotiation" with Mitsubishi but preliminary remarks from them don't sound encouraging. I am waiting for their "official" response before go off the deep end!


Quote:
Originally Posted by dssturbo1 View Post

did you ask him about the possibility of it being bad capacitors instead of a color wheel/light engine?

have you checked with mits to see if they even have light engines to sell anymore? or sometimes you can find parts for them on ebay since many of these sets do go out due to bad capacitors and people part them out to recoup some funds.

Mits just replaced a set for a guy that had a bad light engine, 4 years old and out of warranty. He had replaced 2 electrical chassis and it still it was not working, when they found out it was a light engine they offered him a new replacement set. check the 52/62x25 owners thread. his post are under his avs name of Patrick Collins. Mits is required by a California consumer protection law to carry functional parts for 7 years. if they do not have the parts then they may replace your set with a new model like a 60737 or make you an offer to correct the issue.
post #18 of 22
I don't know how they can continue to sell Mitsubishi DLP TV's any more? That why I gave my old Mitsubishi WD-57731 to my brother with a new lamp and it didn't even last him 6 months. Luckily I didn't sell it to him.

I replaced it with a Samsung HL-61A750 the last of the LED DLP versions which is working just great. The best thing is my set is you don't notice any heat coming from it meaning lower energy use.

As much as you spent on the cost of your set plus service and repairs, get your self a new Samsung LED TV. I get one when the come down in price.

The Mitsubishi TV is a real money pit, and I feel bad that I gave it to my brother.

Henry
post #19 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by lehozle View Post

I'll do that thanks. Right now I'm in"negotiation" with Mitsubishi but preliminary remarks from them don't sound encouraging. I am waiting for their "official" response before go off the deep end!

the normal procedure and response on the bad capacitor/electrical chassis issues goes like this.......Mits will require you get it diagnosed by an authorized mits service center/tech. if it is the bad cap/elec chassis issue then you fax that and your sales receipt/info to them in california and they usually contact you back within 24 hours. the normal offer is for Mits to cover the parts (chassis rebuild) and you will cover the labor. usually for the diagnosis/pull the chassis, send to mits, wait for the return, then replace chassis, it would cost you $200-400. Mits has the service center send the chassis to mits national service center in Ga. for a complete overhaul where they replace over 100 parts.

also they should offer you a 1 year warranty where if the rebuilt electrical chassis fails again they will offer you a replacement set.

with the cheap capacitors and parts as well as it being so poorly designed and engineered there is a good possibility that it will fail again.
post #20 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by lehozle View Post

Does anyone know how/where I can get a list of part numbers for a 52725? Mine is dead and the repair guy tells me its the color wheel and he also tells me that the color wheel is not a replaceable part; it's part of the Light engine assembly and his estimate to repair it is $2,100.00. I think I can get 2 new ones for that price - so I thought I'd look up the part and see if I can find one cheaper.

Thanks!

You got this looked at by a Mitsubishi authorized service person, right? I am just a little suspect ; I 've worked on dozens of those and never had one with a bad light engine. What does yours do? Are there lights that blink on the front? If so, what color and how many times?
post #21 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loustvchris View Post

You got this looked at by a Mitsubishi authorized service person, right? I am just a little suspect ; I 've worked on dozens of those and never had one with a bad light engine. What does yours do? Are there lights that blink on the front? If so, what color and how many times?

Our 52725 has been in storage for 8 months now. Put it away when the tech said it would cost $750. to fix it. I saw your note on the lights on the front. Ours started having a red light flashing, sometimes you could reset everything by unplugging it for awhile. Then it quit reseting, plug it in and red light just flashes. Any idea what part this is and is it worth fixing it? thx
post #22 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by sphillippe View Post

Our 52725 has been in storage for 8 months now. Put it away when the tech said it would cost $750. to fix it. I saw your note on the lights on the front. Ours started having a red light flashing, sometimes you could reset everything by unplugging it for awhile. Then it quit reseting, plug it in and red light just flashes. Any idea what part this is and is it worth fixing it? thx

IF you had an authorized mits service center diagnose it and it needed a chassis rebuild (most likely issue with these sets) then you can contact mits and they will pay for the parts and you pay for the labor, which runs ~$200-350. yes even though its well out of warranty years ago. 1-800-332-2119 ext #8 gets you to a mits service rep in their California offices.

here's the owners thread with alot of other guys having issues with theses sets over the years due to the bad cap and engineering mits used on them.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...44566&page=222
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Rear Projection Units
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › Rear Projection Units › Mitsubishi wd-52725 dlp problems