or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › LCD Flat Panel Displays › Official Westinghouse TX Series ( TX-42F430S, TX-47F430S ) Owner's Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Official Westinghouse TX Series ( TX-42F430S, TX-47F430S ) Owner's Thread - Page 70

post #2071 of 6156
Quote:
Originally Posted by MirclMax View Post

How 'bout I just post a URL for it?
Computer Vision Syndrome



Off Topic of TX but Good Advice for All
post #2072 of 6156
Quote:
Originally Posted by SenatorMonkey View Post

Has anyone ended up finding a solution to the scrolling issue (kind of a judder, almost like it's dropping frames, or not catching up properly). Someone noted it earlier, saying that is was obvious when watching an ESPN or CNN crawl (I'm noticing it a lot on those types of things, but also when there's any kind of fast-but-smooth panning in a movie or other video.

Thanks!

Other than powering off and back on - no.

Customer service acted like it was a problem only with my set and told me to return it (which seems to be their standard 'support'). Returning it fixed the problem - but I suspect only because I brought home a Philips instead

They need to issue a firmware update.

xnappo
post #2073 of 6156
I just brought home the TX-47 and do not have my Directv HD receiver yet. I installed it anyway waiting for my receiver but I can watch some HD Network television through the OTA. On Saturday that usually means golf, tennis, etc. Anyway, I noticed that when I changed channels or changed from standard to scan etc., a small purple line would appear at the top of the picture. If I change the screen to another setting (e.g. Scan or fill), it disappears for a while. Really aggravating to have to go through 'contortionist' acts to get a good picture. I don't even know if this 'fix' will work continuosly yet. First off, am I doing something wrong and is there a setting I should change to make this go away? I keep thinking that it won't be there when my receiver shows. Secondly, how should the picture be set for HD content (Standard?). What exactly do the various settings do. I noticed when I set the picture to standard, it takes a while to get there and stays on 4:3 for a short while.

Love the televsion and it's picture, don't like the purple line. Thanks in advance.
post #2074 of 6156
Quote:
Originally Posted by xnappo View Post

Other than powering off and back on - no.

Customer service acted like it was a problem only with my set and told me to return it (which seems to be their standard 'support'). Returning it fixed the problem - but I suspect only because I brought home a Philips instead

They need to issue a firmware update.

xnappo

Westinghouse probably blames the problem on Sony(PS3) and Sony on Westinghouse and Westinghouse may be digging Its heels in, I hope I'm wrong of course, But You'd think they'd want to fix this problem.

Which model of Phillips HD TV did You get?
post #2075 of 6156
Quote:
Originally Posted by SenatorMonkey View Post

Has anyone ended up finding a solution to the scrolling issue (kind of a judder, almost like it's dropping frames, or not catching up properly). Someone noted it earlier, saying that is was obvious when watching an ESPN or CNN crawl (I'm noticing it a lot on those types of things, but also when there's any kind of fast-but-smooth panning in a movie or other video.

Thanks!

Yes. I noted this awhile back.

You must reboot the tv using the 10-30 second power button reboot. When the TV is off, hold the power button until the W logo shows up on the tv. This fixes it.
post #2076 of 6156
Quote:
Originally Posted by gregklau View Post

I just brought home the TX-47 and do not have my Directv HD receiver yet. I installed it anyway waiting for my receiver but I can watch some HD Network television through the OTA. On Saturday that usually means golf, tennis, etc. Anyway, I noticed that when I changed channels or changed from standard to scan etc., a small purple line would appear at the top of the picture. If I change the screen to another setting (e.g. Scan or fill), it disappears for a while. Really aggravating to have to go through 'contortionist' acts to get a good picture. I don't even know if this 'fix' will work continuosly yet. First off, am I doing something wrong and is there a setting I should change to make this go away? I keep thinking that it won't be there when my receiver shows. Secondly, how should the picture be set for HD content (Standard?). What exactly do the various settings do. I noticed when I set the picture to standard, it takes a while to get there and stays on 4:3 for a short while.

Love the televsion and it's picture, don't like the purple line. Thanks in advance.

Greg, this link is to Westinghouse.. Read down on the FAQ to number 5
Read and Compose Comment to Westinghouse Techspeak

Also AVS has a forum thread you can find for your particular HDTV Reception USA Coverage

Regards
post #2077 of 6156
Quote:
Originally Posted by JokerCPoC View Post

Westinghouse probably blames the problem on Sony(PS3) and Sony on Westinghouse and Westinghouse may be digging Its heels in, I hope I'm wrong of course, But You'd think they'd want to fix this problem.

Which model of Phillips HD TV did You get?

I got the Philips 47PFL7432D/37 which is a touch more than the Westy. Costco has a version (47PFL7422D/37 )that is the same but without ambilight - it is about the same as the Westy cost wise.

There are minor firmware issues (IMHO nothing as severe as the Westy issues) but they are publishing user installable firmware on a regular basis.

The main thing you lose with the Philips is VGA... I think the black levels(or at least the processing) are slightly better on the Philips.

bhazard and other long-time readers of this thread - if my mentioning of defecting gets annoying let me know and I will buzz off

xnappo
post #2078 of 6156
Quote:
Originally Posted by xnappo View Post

I got the Philips 47PFL7432D/37 which is a touch more than the Westy. Costco has a version (47PFL7422D/37 )that is the same but without ambilight - it is about the same as the Westy cost wise.

There are minor firmware issues (IMHO nothing as severe as the Westy issues) but they are publishing user installable firmware on a regular basis.

The main thing you lose with the Philips is VGA... I think the black levels(or at least the processing) are slightly better on the Philips.

bhazard and other long-time readers of this thread - if my mentioning of defecting gets annoying let me know and I will buzz off

xnappo

Nothing wrong with choosing what is best for you. I cant go without VGA though.
post #2079 of 6156
Quote:
Originally Posted by xnappo View Post

Other than powering off and back on - no.

Customer service acted like it was a problem only with my set and told me to return it (which seems to be their standard 'support'). Returning it fixed the problem - but I suspect only because I brought home a Philips instead

They need to issue a firmware update.

xnappo

Glad to see you back. I hope the Philips is doing a righteous job for you and your equipment.

It is a personal choice on what motivates a person to take action. You yourself have written a considerable amount about the TX. Yet your action returning the set will take it's toll on Westinghouse. Consider the calls you placed, the hassle, people have to know what is of value to them, and what is not. If some people find X to be a problem that others do not feel important yet find Z to be their issue but was not a biggie to ...

What Westinghouse should do, can do, or will do is not relevant. It is the consumers choice to act. So firmware or no.. live with or not.. it's like

People you bought the TV! So get your satisfaction.
Very Warm Regard to you xnappo!
post #2080 of 6156
Quote:
Originally Posted by bhazard View Post

Yes. I noted this awhile back.

You must reboot the tv using the 10-30 second power button reboot. When the TV is off, hold the power button until the W logo shows up on the tv. This fixes it.

Thanks - that seems to have taken care of it for the time being (I was just hoping for a more permanent solution - hopefully one will be forthcoming from Westinghouse in the next weeks/months)!
post #2081 of 6156
Quote:
Originally Posted by iLoveSax View Post

Thanks woob.
Does it matter if the adapters plugged into the tv or ps3?

PS3 owners Help Request

Hey Sax,
Was wondering if you're caught up on the PS3 issue here or elsewhere, with the stacked plugs, Sony-firmware, etc. I just did a Google Search and it is maddening to see how the HDCP, HDMI, DVI traslation goes or doesn't.

Pretty sure you have heard of Popular Mechanics, check out their web page blog on the PS3 issue.
Jan 2007 PS3 Blinking Mystery DeepensWestinghouse: "Our TVs Not the Problem"
Take some time to read it, watch it, try it, and consider your options.
I can not count the times I have been to WalMart at around this time looking at Wii-Xbox-PS3, head down, kicking a piece of trash in the asile thinking hummmm maybe I should...nahHH I have enough toys already.

If there are any users that run pure HDMI from the PS3 that have not seen an issue with flickering/lost of sound/etc, confirmed DD5.1: Please, please post w/Title "Successful PS3 Config Westinghouse TX" this will make searching easy for everyone.

SPEC. REQ:
Sony firmware revision:
Sony Model #:
HDMI cable Make-Model:
Which Port on Westy:
Which Model Westy:
Firmware Westy:

Thank you all for your consideration.
post #2082 of 6156
aw man, i think it's time to return mine and actually get a brand new one for 60 bucks more.
post #2083 of 6156
Learn about charges incurred during and after the Westinghouse one year warranty as well as other brands at

www.hdguru.com

The HD Guru
post #2084 of 6156
Hey all. This is a massive thread, so I'm going to try and get to it by asking some questions. How does the Westy TX-42F430S operate, how is its PQ? What are some major recurrinng problems, if any? I ask because I might pick it up today from BB and us a 10% coupon I have.

Currently, I own the Vizio vu42lf - I like it, but it did cost more and it has some problems I'm not liking (backlight bleeding, pixelation, etc.)

Would this Westinghouse be a wise move? I watch local HD, play the 360 w/ componenet, and have a 1080p upconverting DVD. Let me know what you think, any opinions/feedback would be great.

Thanks in advance.
post #2085 of 6156
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geetar View Post

Hey all. This is a massive thread, so I'm going to try and get to it by asking some questions. How does the Westy TX-42F430S operate, how is its PQ? What are some major recurrinng problems, if any? I ask because I might pick it up today from BB and us a 10% coupon I have.

Currently, I own the Vizio vu42lf - I like it, but it did cost more and it has some problems I'm not liking (backlight bleeding, pixelation, etc.)

Would this Westinghouse be a wise move? I watch local HD, play the 360 w/ componenet, and have a 1080p upconverting DVD. Let me know what you think, any opinions/feedback would be great.

Thanks in advance.

How hot is that money in your pocket? If you have time, do some homework. The link provided by the HDguru 2083 takes you to his web site. It contains some good to know info, Im currently looking at the NIST doc on choosing a Plasma, LCD. Also take a look at Post 1775
Do some searches using these Key words "Xbox", "Interlace", "2 cent", "impressions", and "pq".

Good Hunting
post #2086 of 6156
Yea, just reading over this thread it seems like the westy has some locking up/freezing issues, as well as some backlight bleeding issues. I think I'll hang on to the Vizio - if not just for the extremely liberal return policy at Costco (90 days). If the westy craps anytime over a month, I can't do anything about with Best Buy. Its a couple hundred cheaper, but oh well.
post #2087 of 6156
Best Buy has the TX-42 at a cheaper price than the last sale two weeks ago. The 10% off movers coupon expires on 7/31, so make haste!
post #2088 of 6156
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joony View Post

Best Buy has the TX-42 at a cheaper price than the last sale two weeks ago. The 10% off movers coupon expires on 7/31, so make haste!


Yea I saw that, but all the problems with TV according to this thread makes me not want to get it and keep the Vizio I have. Plus, BBY's return policy is only 30 days, where Costco's is 90 - and Costco gives you a two year warranty w/o purchasing any service plan. So, if I bought the service plan for the Westy (which I would almost need to based on the freezing problems, etc.) the cost would be greater than Costco's Vizio.
post #2089 of 6156
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joony View Post

Best Buy has the TX-42 at a cheaper price than the last sale two weeks ago. The 10% off movers coupon expires on 7/31, so make haste!

What is this movers coupon? I am going to buy this TV today.
post #2090 of 6156
Just an update

Ever since I have switched to HDMI3 and updated to firmware 1.9 for PS3, I have not had a flicker or dropout since. This TV would flicker every time I used PS3 before.

Awesome

EDIT: Nevermind, flickered twice and dropped signal once. It actually isnt really that annoying anymore, I think Im just used to it.

Still love the TV. Gonna try w a dvi cable and adapters next when i get them.
post #2091 of 6156
Yeah let's hear it whats up with this 10% off movers coupon.
post #2092 of 6156
Mods: remove this link to fatwallet if the coupon is not allowed.

movers coupon: http://www.**************/t/18/742954
post #2093 of 6156
Thanks
post #2094 of 6156
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joony View Post

Best Buy has the TX-42 at a cheaper price than the last sale two weeks ago. The 10% off movers coupon expires on 7/31, so make haste!

Got that deal today. I had a Dell 3007WFP-HC on order. I thought I would want a huge quantity of pixels, but it turns out.. I don't need them!

I love this display (TX-42F430S). I am EXTREMELY happy with it. Extremely.
post #2095 of 6156
Has anyone been able to use the 10% off coupon with there purchase. And if so did you have any problems using it.
post #2096 of 6156
Quote:
Originally Posted by codymaher View Post

Has anyone been able to use the 10% off coupon with there purchase. And if so did you have any problems using it.

Thanks so much for the coupon. I just got home from Bestbuy. The sales person there tried to say since the TV was on sale that the code would not work. I told him ******** it says nothing in the exclusions and that I would not believe him until I saw the check-out screen where it said the coupon was not valid.

He goes and talks to a manager and the manager said that his assoicate thought it was a reward zone coupon that does not take into account the sale price.

I got the TV for 989.09 plus tax. Total was $1059. I did not get the Service Plan for $150 dollars more. I know I have 30 days to do it. I was wondering if it would be worth it. I only plan to keep this TV for 2 years as the main TV and then it will move to the bedroom of my new place.

My brother and sister in law both have last years models of Westinghouse and they have had no issues so far. Thanks
post #2097 of 6156
Quote:
Originally Posted by codymaher View Post

Has anyone been able to use the 10% off coupon with there purchase. And if so did you have any problems using it.

Yes. It's technically wrong to do so, but I asked specifically about it and they OKayed it.
post #2098 of 6156
Well i went to my best buy and they didn't have any in stock and weren't getting anymore so either Best Buy isn't going to carry them anymore or Westinghouse is changing something on it. But thats all the guy could tell me. Sucks for me
post #2099 of 6156
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geetar View Post

Yea I saw that, but all the problems with TV according to this thread makes me not want to get it and keep the Vizio I have. Plus, BBY's return policy is only 30 days, where Costco's is 90 - and Costco gives you a two year warranty w/o purchasing any service plan. So, if I bought the service plan for the Westy (which I would almost need to based on the freezing problems, etc.) the cost would be greater than Costco's Vizio.

hmmm about these so called problems posted by users here. my tv is a little over a week old and i just want to say is that it's an amazing set for the price. from what i read and what people said in these forums, the TX line is about 2-3 months old so expect to have sets that have some defects.

i'm definitely not an early adopter person and after 'accidentally' buying this set and reading more about the line afterwards, i was definitely scared about what could happen. so far everything is working perfect and i am very very happy/impressed with the set.

i've never gotten any flicker or dropouts (i only have a ps3 hooked up) so i guess i can consider myself lucky for now, but it's still too early to start celebrating

i do have about 20 some days left to have some kind of defect manifest itself before i decide to either keep the tv or exchange for another. i really hope i don't have go the latter since to be honest, alot of the other sets i've read about have their own quirks for me to worry about. plus, did i mention that this set is cheap and looks pretty damn good after some tweaking!?!
post #2100 of 6156
A bit of a change of pace....

I am pretty sure I am getting this the 47" Westy after reading the entire thread and posting once. But before I get the TV I would like to have a TV stand to put the TV on. I know the base is 25.5 inches from a previous post. I am looking into this TV stand I saw at Target.

http://www.target.com/gp/detail.html...sin=B000EIH114

The dimensions are 20.25Hx47.5Wx21.5D". It says it fits some 40" TVs (not on website but on flier at store). Anyway do you guys think the 47" Westy would work on here? Would it dwarf the stand and make the whole thing look stupid?

Thanks for the input.

Todd
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: LCD Flat Panel Displays
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › LCD Flat Panel Displays › Official Westinghouse TX Series ( TX-42F430S, TX-47F430S ) Owner's Thread