or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Blu-ray & HD DVD › Blu-ray Players › PS3 Firmware 1.8 Update Master Discussion Thread; POST ALL 1.8 COMMENTS HERE
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

PS3 Firmware 1.8 Update Master Discussion Thread; POST ALL 1.8 COMMENTS HERE - Page 3

post #61 of 534
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schlotkins View Post

How do you get your files onto the PS3?

Thanks,
Chris

WMP11. Just turn on sharing, add the files to the library. Vista Home behind a D-Link DGL-4300 router.

Simple as that.
post #62 of 534
WMP 11 click on library select media sharing.
post #63 of 534
Found some new undocumented features:

Will now downloaded during folding.

Now new option to reconnect to Bluetooth device if you go into checking on sound levels without having to register all over again.
post #64 of 534
Quote:
Originally Posted by cawgijoe View Post

My Sony 34XBR800 is HDCP compliant according to the owner's manual via DVI and it will not work with the PS3's HDMI output.

I have the 34XBR910 and the manual states HDCP compliant just like yours.
It works fine with the PS3s HDMI.
Go into the "Display Settings", "Video Output Settings", "HDMI", and make sure you choose "Custom" not Automatic. Then check all but "1080p".
Save your settings and then exit.
If 1080p is checked or I choose "Automatic" I get a blank screen.
Up to 1080i works just fine.
post #65 of 534
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDEATON View Post

No, streaming for both photos and music works fine on my old non Viiv XP computer. My only issue is the PS3 will not play WMA Lossless files even though it will list title album, artist, and file type, but it will play WAV files.

I try, but it finds nothing, while the 360 works with finding media. Do I need to open up ports or something weird?
post #66 of 534
Is the a FAQ anywhere that shows how to share your My Documents media to a PS3? All I get is 'no media servers found' when I try to search on my PS3.
post #67 of 534
Well, it seems you have to open up subnet ports, UDP and TCP. Does this help though?
post #68 of 534
I give up for tonight, the PS3 is failing to find media servers after disabling all firewalls and running windows media player 11 with sharing, although with sharing turned on nothing shows as being able to share to.
post #69 of 534
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monty22001 View Post

I give up for tonight, the PS3 is failing to find media servers after disabling all firewalls and running windows media player 11 with sharing, although with sharing turned on nothing shows as being able to share to.

Weird what OS do you have, i know 3 people who it worked in the first 3 minutes of the reboot, they all got Routers..

If you happen to have Live ONE CARE, the MS AntiVirus/Firewall etc etc software, i had tons of trouble with sharing and that thing.
post #70 of 534
I need help!

I just downloaded the firmware and for some reason, the ps3 has converted itself to 1080p and my tv is 1080i. With that, when i turn off the playstation, there would just be a blank screen and no sound. I tried it with other SD tvs (just in case it would recalibrate itself) but no luck with that.

Any hints on fixing it? Just recieved some bluray discs and im dying to see them.
post #71 of 534
anyone have any luck streamng stuff from a mac? i.e. itunes, etc...

thanks.
post #72 of 534
I would like to know if the 1080p24 signal option will work under 720p downscaling. That is I take the benefits of displaying a downconverted 1080p24hz signal @720p

Also, what settings do you use?

I got a 720 ยด(epson 810) projector.
post #73 of 534
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spektricide View Post

I believe a simple rename to .mpg will make your .ts files playable. I'll test as soon as I get updated.


The 1.8 update causes some of my Mpeg-2 PS files to go black when pressing play. They played fine under 1.7.
post #74 of 534
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryoohki View Post

Weird what OS do you have, i know 3 people who it worked in the first 3 minutes of the reboot, they all got Routers..

If you happen to have Live ONE CARE, the MS AntiVirus/Firewall etc etc software, i had tons of trouble with sharing and that thing.

WinXP, and I had DMZ turned on and software firewall off, and PS3 picked up nothing. I dunno what live one care is. Just using trendmicro's antivirus and XP's firewall, and a basic router
post #75 of 534
Now when I start Media player 11 on XP I get an error:

'Media Sharing is currently disabled, either because the sharing service is not running or your firewall settings have changed. To restart sharing, you must confirm your sharing settings'.

I hit ok and I'm back at the basic media sharing on/off switch. This is after rebooting and basic troubleshooting. Bugs bugs bugs.

It brings up a prompt to 'share media to' and it's empty. Grrr.
post #76 of 534
first post
nero mediahome is the best!!!!!!
instantly works with the ps3 and streaming files is extremely easy
by far better than wmp
also, you can watch avi video files without having to convert to a different format or anything
nero ftw
post #77 of 534
Quote:
Originally Posted by crey014 View Post

I need help!

I just downloaded the firmware and for some reason, the ps3 has converted itself to 1080p and my tv is 1080i. With that, when i turn off the playstation, there would just be a blank screen and no sound. I tried it with other SD tvs (just in case it would recalibrate itself) but no luck with that.

Any hints on fixing it? Just recieved some bluray discs and im dying to see them.

If you hold your finger on the power button for 5 seconds it should reset the video mode I believe. When I got the firmware update I had a few issues which were solved by switching off 24Hz output (my display doesn't support it) rather than leaving it on automatic.
post #78 of 534
It would be very helpful if there was a way to have FAQ setup for media sharing on the PS3. I'm just not getting anything when I use the searches, all I get are 'no media servers found'.

What does it need? Do I have to setup my XP or Vista system? If so, do I have to be wary of firewalls and virus programs at all?
post #79 of 534
Just download Nero 7
Select advanced install
Choose only Nero MediaHome and Tools
Launch Nero scout
Choose to index your folders with your media content (divx / xvid / MP3 / pics)
Wait till indexing completes
Launch Nero MediaHome
Select your Network Card under Network
Click the "launch server" button.

Nero appears on your PS3... you can browse all indexed files, and play AVI files (tested with several divx and xvid files). Files appear as MPEG1 (sound) / MPEG2 (video)

Of course picture quality is very bad, especially if you do this right after watching a BluRay
post #80 of 534
For SACD. My marantz 8001 receive DSD (small red light on and display SA-CD) from PS3 when enabling Type1 for SACD
But i hear nothing.
Any idea?
post #81 of 534
Hi


I have my PS3 outputting to two displays - an LCD which isn't 1080p compatible, and my Panasonic AE900 which is 1080p compatible

Is there a way to set the PS3 up to work with both, without me having to manually change things?

eg if I check only 720p on the dashboard, it'll play blurays at 720p on my LCD and projector. Which is fine, but id' like to use 1080p/24 to eliminate judder on the projector.

If I have 1080p/24 set to auto, will the PS3 kick into that mode on the projector, even though I don't have 1080p set as a resolution, or do I have to set that resolution too?

Oh and can anyone that uses 1080p/24 on the AE900 confirm that it gets rid of motion judder and looks gorgeous?
post #82 of 534
it seems that the hd-XA2 is still the king of upscaling compared to the ps3, can you guys confirm it?
post #83 of 534
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddieb187 View Post

I have the 34XBR910 and the manual states HDCP compliant just like yours.
It works fine with the PS3s HDMI.
Go into the "Display Settings", "Video Output Settings", "HDMI", and make sure you choose "Custom" not Automatic. Then check all but "1080p".
Save your settings and then exit.
If 1080p is checked or I choose "Automatic" I get a blank screen.
Up to 1080i works just fine.

Thanks. Done that, does not work.
post #84 of 534
to bad we couldn't stream dvd/iso files accross the network so we can backup all our dvd's and stream them. put some nice cover art for for the icon, and get a real type of media center going


that would be awsome.
post #85 of 534
Quote:
Originally Posted by lastmonkey View Post

anyone have any luck streamng stuff from a mac? i.e. itunes, etc...

thanks.

It seems to work fine with EyeConnect:

http://www.elgato.com/index.php?file...cts_eyeconnect

iTunes and iPhoto both work as you'd expect with this installed. Compatible video files seem to work, but I don't have much that isn't Divx/Xvid, so I didn't have much to test with.

Unfortunately, the iTunes sharing just dumps your library into one huge PS3 list (not grouped by artist/album), so if you have a large number of songs, it's basically unusable. What I ended up doing was creating a folder share (the EyeConnect documentation tells you how to do this) and pointing it the the iTunes Music folder in my Music directory. iTunes groups its files in artist and album folders, so that works much better. It seems to perform a lot better, too, probably because it's just serving the files without the iTunes overhead in between.

Ryan
post #86 of 534
Quote:
Originally Posted by sneals2000 View Post

If you hold your finger on the power button for 5 seconds it should reset the video mode I believe.

Holding down the power button until you hear the second beep resets everything to factory defaults, allowing you to once again see the display (in 480i, I believe). This allows you to correct the display settings problem, but unless 1.8 changes something, all other settings will need to be changed from the defaults as well.
post #87 of 534
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobcatmvp1 View Post

Can someone compare this to the Toshiba HD-XA2 upscaling?

I have both players and the PS3 compares very favorably to the Toshiba XA2 upscaling. I don't believe you have all the same controls to tweak the settings with the PS3, but I may use the PS3 when playing my standard def. DVDs now because it has a slightly quieter fan than the XA2.

If anyone else has done direct PQ comparisons, I'd be interested.
post #88 of 534
Quote:
Originally Posted by mediahound View Post

I have both players and the PS3 compares very favorably to the Toshiba XA2 upscaling. I don't believe you have all the same controls to tweak the settings with the PS3, but I may use the PS3 when playing my standard def. DVDs now because it has a slightly quieter fan than the XA2.

If anyone else has done direct PQ comparisons, I'd be interested.


I posted some pics here:

PS3 vs. XA2 upscaling

The PS3 was greatly improved upon but to my eyes the XA2 is still superior.
post #89 of 534
Quote:
Originally Posted by petmic10 View Post

I posted some pics here:

PS3 vs. XA2 upscaling

The PS3 was greatly improved upon but to my eyes the XA2 is still superior.

Interesting comparison. I did the same with my A2 and the PS3 and felt the A2 hands down was sharper more detailed...But the firmware 1.8 did help the PS3 with SD content...its not perfect but much much better.
post #90 of 534
I think you need to hold it down while it is powered off.

Power it on by holding down the power button until you hear the second beep. That should reset it for you.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Blu-ray Players
AVS › AVS Forum › Blu-ray & HD DVD › Blu-ray Players › PS3 Firmware 1.8 Update Master Discussion Thread; POST ALL 1.8 COMMENTS HERE