or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › Rear Projection Units › HL-T7288W...First impressions
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

HL-T7288W...First impressions - Page 6

post #151 of 260
Can the bottom foot be removed from this unit? I like the idea of having another inch or so for clearance in my new ent. center.
post #152 of 260
Quote:
Originally Posted by tebbens View Post

How do you like that stand ?
Is there anything you don't like about it ?

I have the CFV69 (your stand) and the WFV66.
I'm not sure which to assemble and use for the HL-T7288W.

There is nothing I don't like about it. It suits my needs perfectly and I think it looks fantastic and beautiful in the room that it's in.

To answer the other guy, the reason I have my speakers there is that there is the chair on the right and putting them any further away would mean being behind the chair. I have to balance my wife's requirements of having a tight (physical layout) setup as well.

Turns out the B&W speakers in the photos are blown from a recent lightning storm, so I have some Rockets on order.
post #153 of 260
Woohoo... I ordered my 7288... can't wait! Here I come HD DVD and Blu-Ray!
post #154 of 260
Quote:
Originally Posted by dennx View Post

Woohoo... I ordered my 7288... can't wait! Here I come HD DVD and Blu-Ray!

Did you consider the Mitsubishi 73833, and if so, were you able to compare them and conclude that the Samsung 7288 was superior? The Samsung seems more expensive and less likely to go on sale than the Mitsubishi. Thanks.
post #155 of 260
I compared the Mits 73833 and Sammy HL-T7288. I found the black level to be better on the Sammy as well as the color accuracy. However, it's more expensive and lacks some of the Mit's pic controls. The main drawback for me was the 1/4 inch side bowing that was not correctable. The Mit's geometry is corrrectable to a significant extent. The Mit's color accuracy out of the box is poor. I have purchased a colorimeter and have read the Mits 833 forum and found color and tint settings that now create a really appealing picture. The Mits is also lighter in weight for those of us with bad backs. Both are good DLP sets; I went with the Mits for $1000 less and more adjustments. After adjustment the black level is now much improved. I could not have lived with the out of the box pic. I had a Sammy HL-T6767 from Costco in my home for 2 weeks and found it to have the same geometry problems + more SSE than the Mits.
post #156 of 260
Ok, first off, to clear any confusion, this TV DOES have 120 Hz processing (whether true 120 vs 2x60, I dont know). However, there is something called "Auto Motion" in a few Samsung LCD TV's which this TV does NOT have. The Auto Motion is a feature that seems to distinguish movement between individual frames of (any?) source and essentially creates NEW frames by, i'm guessing, blending the two frames together to come up with unique middle frames. It sounds crazy, and almost like a gimmick, but it creates the coolest effect; basically like you are watching live movement, not a "movie" type feel. I was watching Pirates of the Caribbean 2 with this Auto Motion on and it was like watching them on the set! Very weird. But I would think that this would only be good for watching sports, because you dont want to take away the "movie" feel.

Second, main difference between the 7288 and the 73833 is the 1" size difference and the fact that the Mitsu doesn't "officially" support AV receiver video switching. That is the reason that I took back the 65833. It wouldnt work with my Onkyo TX-SR875 receiver, which does video upconversion and HDMI switching. For me, this was a deal breaker because unless you are using analog out from an HD source like Blu Ray of HD DVD, you will not be able to utilize the HD audio signals due to the bandwidth restrictions on Optical or Coaxial cables.

Anyways, that's my 2 cents.

Oh and BTW, there is a source that does 120 Hz...........I use my TV as my main PC monitor. In gaming, 120 hz vs 60 hz can be noticeable to some people.
post #157 of 260
Like so many on this AVS forum, I am split between the Mit 73833 and Sam 7288. If only the Sony 70 was out it would clear up the decision process. Are there any current 7288 owners that regret the decision and either did or want to return the TV? BTW, BB just stopped carrying the 7288 although there are some in their warehouses, it is no longer available online. Black Friday maybe a good day to bargin with BB on the 7288.
post #158 of 260
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodlookin1 View Post

Ok, first off, to clear any confusion, this TV DOES have 120 Hz processing (whether true 120 vs 2x60, I dont know). However, there is something called "Auto Motion" in a few Samsung LCD TV's which this TV does NOT have. The Auto Motion is a feature that seems to distinguish movement between individual frames of (any?) source and essentially creates NEW frames by, i'm guessing, blending the two frames together to come up with unique middle frames. It sounds crazy, and almost like a gimmick, but it creates the coolest effect; basically like you are watching live movement, not a "movie" type feel. I was watching Pirates of the Caribbean 2 with this Auto Motion on and it was like watching them on the set! Very weird. But I would think that this would only be good for watching sports, because you dont want to take away the "movie" feel.

Second, main difference between the 7288 and the 73833 is the 1" size difference and the fact that the Mitsu doesn't "officially" support AV receiver video switching. That is the reason that I took back the 65833. It wouldnt work with my Onkyo TX-SR875 receiver, which does video upconversion and HDMI switching. For me, this was a deal breaker because unless you are using analog out from an HD source like Blu Ray of HD DVD, you will not be able to utilize the HD audio signals due to the bandwidth restrictions on Optical or Coaxial cables.

Anyways, that's my 2 cents.

Oh and BTW, there is a source that does 120 Hz...........I use my TV as my main PC monitor. In gaming, 120 hz vs 60 hz can be noticeable to some people.

I'm considering this display, but I'm very curious to know how this unit looks connected to a PC. I do a lot of PC gaming & would love to switch from my 24" LCD to this beast. I've read & heard that DLP displays are not the greatest for doing this. The biggest complaint I've come across thus far is that DLP sets aren't "Fast Enough" for gaming. Their Refresh Rates are slow & the games (both console & PC) cause a lot of lag on screen because the display can't keep up sometimes. Is this true? I'd love to spend half of what I was going to spend on a 52" LCD & get this instead if it makes sense.

Hopefully more than 1 or 2 of you guys will chime in on this.
post #159 of 260
[that the Mitsu doesn't "officially" support AV receiver video switching]
como what? this is the first i've heard of this - i plan on getting the 73833 and using it w/my denon 2808ci and 'switch away' by only having one HDMI from my receiver to the TV w/my PS3, HD-2A, and comcast box all connected to the receiver via HDMI.
post #160 of 260
This is my first time posting in these forums, but I've been a lurker for a bit and figured I'd share my opinion of the 7288w. I've had it for almost a month now, and I have to say it's quite an amazing set. I was initially more impressed with the size, until I used the color settings boomer8800 mentioned. This thing has a very vivid picture and seems to handle 1080i and 720p sources quite well without any external processing (still going to get an A/V reciever though). And if there is any bowing on my set, I cannot visually see it.

When I was comparing the larger sets, I lucked out and found a Fry's that had the Sony 70 XBR2, and the Samsung 7288w, and the Mitsubishi 73734 side by side, and all 3 were playing I Robot (they had the 73833, but sadly it was showing different source matierial). Ultimately I think the best in-store picture was the XBR2, but the Samsung looked to be a close second. The color and contrast just weren't that great on the pic being displayed on the Mits, but more importantly I saw some image artifacts on it as well. That said, while I made a comparison based on what I saw in the store, I still realize the default ootb settings are way different from when you get it home. So I think ultimately I got the Sammy because of a great price at the time which exceeded what I could get the 73833 for, but I don't think you can go wrong with either set based on what I've read on the 73833 and what I've seen on my TV.

P.S. I do have a question though based on some of the 1080p/24 comments in here. I have the Toshiba A2 for now, but just so I know whether it's worth it to get a 1080p toshiba or dual format player later on, can anyone confirm whether the latest 2.7 Toshiba firmware upgrade forces the signal to the TV? Or have they still not corrected that issue?
post #161 of 260
Etherial:

Do a search or read back through the posts in this thread and you"ll find that this set can"t display a 24 fps input, so getting a XA2 wouldn't help you. I did sell my A2 and get the XA2 though for another reason. I have an older AV receiver at can't decode the HD codecs on modern HD DVDs, but the XA2 can decode them internally and send them to the reciever through it's analog outputs. So for a little more money I avoid having to upgrade my reciever which was very expensive and still works great.
post #162 of 260
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrdunwoody View Post

Etherial:

Do a search or read back through the posts in this thread and you"ll find that this set can"t display a 24 fps input, so getting a XA2 wouldn't help you. I did sell my A2 and get the XA2 though for another reason. I have an older AV receiver at can't decode the HD codecs on modern HD DVDs, but the XA2 can decode them internally and send them to the reciever through it's analog outputs. So for a little more money I avoid having to upgrade my reciever which was very expensive and still works great.


I read through them, but they seemed kind of vauge on way or the other. I thought that it was 24fps capable from what I read, but not 120hz capable. Either way, I'm still quite happy with the display.

OT: As far as HD players go, if it can't do 24fps then I'm just going to stick with the A2 and eventually get an Onkyo 805, and either the Samsung dual format player when the price drops, or just get that Panasonic BD-30 BD player...
post #163 of 260
Well after several months of using this site for great advice and construction tips, I have finished my basement and got my TV setup.



Thanks to all of you who inspired me to finish my basement, I'll be posting pictures of my basement to the construction thread soon.

So I setup the TV and it looks great while watching an HD-DVD or SD-DVD on my Toshiba A2. However watching HD on my Comcast cable box does not live up to my expectations. I am convinced it is not the fault of the TV but the broadcast, but have not read too much from other people with the same complaints. The picture just isnt as crisp as HD-DVD is this because of the 720 broadcast?

Anyway I still love the TV, just starting to hate broadcast TV.
LL
post #164 of 260
Quote:
Originally Posted by apu808 View Post

Well after several months of using this site for great advice and construction tips, I have finished my basement and got my TV setup.



Thanks to all of you who inspired me to finish my basement, I'll be posting pictures of my basement to the construction thread soon.

So I setup the TV and it looks great while watching an HD-DVD or SD-DVD on my Toshiba A2. However watching HD on my Comcast cable box does not live up to my expectations. I am convinced it is not the fault of the TV but the broadcast, but have not read too much from other people with the same complaints. The picture just isnt as crisp as HD-DVD is this because of the 720 broadcast?

Anyway I still love the TV, just starting to hate broadcast TV.

looking good
post #165 of 260
It occurred to me today, as I hunted (unsuccessfully) for a Samsung HL-T7288, that the final problem for rear projection televisions was also one of their primary advantages;

Why would a retailer of large RP-sized, expensive flat panel displays, present less expensive competition in the form of great pictures on even larger rear projection TVs, when they could simply eliminate ALL the decent rear projection units from the sales floor, and thereby more easily sell the more expensive (and more profitable) flat panels?

Since most consumers are already smitten by the allure of flat panels, I suspect that the lower prices of the few remaining quality RP models is now actually a factor in their disappearance from the sales floor.

Almost all the stores I visited, or telephoned, when asked what was the largest TV they could sell me, pointed toward one of their 60" (or larger) plasmas. A couple of places did have a 60 something RP, but nothing larger.

Only the Sony store had a 70 inch XBR2, but the salesman was more interested in pushing the discount they were offering on the 60 inch model.
post #166 of 260
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith447 View Post

.Only the Sony store had a 70 inch XBR2, but the salesman was more interested in pushing the discount they were offering on the 60 inch model.

Someone should explain to them that a 70" diagonal is about the minimum size to have a full HDTV viewing experience at a viewing distance of 8-10 feet.
post #167 of 260
Quote:
Originally Posted by apu808 View Post

Well after several months of using this site for great advice and construction tips, I have finished my basement and got my TV setup.



Thanks to all of you who inspired me to finish my basement, I'll be posting pictures of my basement to the construction thread soon.

So I setup the TV and it looks great while watching an HD-DVD or SD-DVD on my Toshiba A2. However watching HD on my Comcast cable box does not live up to my expectations. I am convinced it is not the fault of the TV but the broadcast, but have not read too much from other people with the same complaints. The picture just isnt as crisp as HD-DVD is this because of the 720 broadcast?

Anyway I still love the TV, just starting to hate broadcast TV.

I guess you're referring to the football game in the pic (regarding the poor picture quality). Looks good to me, but have you tried over the air broadcasts for comparison? Should let you know whether it's a TV setting or a Comcast problem. Fox and ESPN are both 720 feeds, but they look fine on my set. Also, check earlier in this thread for the pic settings boomer posted. Without having the TV calibrated (which will be a bit for me), it seems to have really improved the sharpness of the picture.

BTW, go Cowboys!
post #168 of 260
Not exactly that picture, but the quality in general of HD broadcast. In general the quality is good, just not as good as HD DVD. One of the best looking show IMO is CSI:Miami on CBS. In fact most of that Monday night lineup on CBS looks pretty good.
Anyway...I will try over the air broadcast of HD and see what it looks like....
Thanks
post #169 of 260
Quote:
Originally Posted by apu808 View Post

Not exactly that picture, but the quality in general of HD broadcast. In general the quality is good, just not as good as HD DVD. One of the best looking show IMO is CSI:Miami on CBS. In fact most of that Monday night lineup on CBS looks pretty good.
Anyway...I will try over the air broadcast of HD and see what it looks like....
Thanks

Ah gotcha. Unfortunately that's the nature of things right now. You should notice some improvement on over the air feeds due to the lack of compression, but unfortunately even then it does come down to the individual program that's on.

Some good OTA shows to check out just to really get that wow factor are the late night shows: Leno, Conan, and Letterman. IMO I think the best OTA football is CBS followed by NBC (minus Madden's commentary, but that has nothing to do with video )
post #170 of 260
Quote:
Originally Posted by apu808 View Post

Well after several months of using this site for great advice and construction tips, I have finished my basement and got my TV setup.



Thanks to all of you who inspired me to finish my basement, I'll be posting pictures of my basement to the construction thread soon.

So I setup the TV and it looks great while watching an HD-DVD or SD-DVD on my Toshiba A2. However watching HD on my Comcast cable box does not live up to my expectations. I am convinced it is not the fault of the TV but the broadcast, but have not read too much from other people with the same complaints. The picture just isnt as crisp as HD-DVD is this because of the 720 broadcast?

Anyway I still love the TV, just starting to hate broadcast TV.

I have had a similar experience. Returned a Mitsubishi 73833 for the Samsung 7288 because the BR DVD (Fantastic 4) in the store with the two units next to each other showed that the Samsung was clearly better. However, after I got the Samsung home, the Comcast broadcasts were better on the Mitsu and the SD broadcasts were much better on the Mitsu. The HD DVD and BR DVDs are better on the Samsung. Also, something I don't understand, when the Mitsu searched for OTA signals, it found several for some stations, 4 for PBS. The Samsung only found 1 each and the image was not as good as the Mitsu.

Does anyone understand the differences between these 2 units? It seems to me that the Samsung is optimized for use as a home theater TV that will mostly play 1080p signals. Additionally, the Samsung seems to have noise or what we used to call quantum mottle which is especially noticeable if you record a 1080i show on a DVR and then pause on playback.

Also, has anyone noticed that as you move your head up and down, the TV becomes noticeably brighter right at the level of your eyes? I don't think the Mitsu did that. Is this normal?

Both units are good, but I'm confused on these issues.
post #171 of 260
Don't know if anyone is still checking this thread.. I was foolishly waiting on sony to deliver on the xbr5 and they have bailed on that now. I still want RPTV becuase I really don't want to go smaller than 65'. I have heard conflicting opinions on DLP but from what I read here it sounds like this is a great Television and it is at a very reasonable price. One worry I have is with burn in. I play a fair amount of video games and watch enough Standard Def tv that I would worry about that. Is that still an issue on this TV or is it nothing to worry about ?

thanks if anyone is still checking this thread !
post #172 of 260
Quote:
Originally Posted by slamduncan View Post

Don't know if anyone is still checking this thread.. I was foolishly waiting on sony to deliver on the xbr5 and they have bailed on that now. I still want RPTV becuase I really don't want to go smaller than 65'. I have heard conflicting opinions on DLP but from what I read here it sounds like this is a great Television and it is at a very reasonable price. One worry I have is with burn in. I play a fair amount of video games and watch enough Standard Def tv that I would worry about that. Is that still an issue on this TV or is it nothing to worry about ?

thanks if anyone is still checking this thread !

My understanding is that there is NO issue of burn in with dlp.
post #173 of 260
That is correct there is no burn in with DLP....
post #174 of 260
Thanks for the quick 2 replies re. burn in. One last question I have.. In another thread I came across some comments that there is a 'delay' when playing video games on DLP televisions. I think the explanation had to do with supported resolutions and converting. If someone can tell me about this (and I hope the answer is that it isn't an issue) then I can officially say I'm out of excuses not to buy it.

Also, how would people compare this to the XBR2 ? I've read some positive stuff in here but if anyone has anything to add much appreciated. I'm pretty irritated that sony basically strung along people with the XBR5 so even if the XBR2 was marginally better I'd probably go with this just becuase I am not happy with Sony.

thanks again.. and happy holidays all
post #175 of 260
Quote:
Originally Posted by slamduncan View Post

Thanks for the quick 2 replies re. burn in. One last question I have.. In another thread I came across some comments that there is a 'delay' when playing video games on DLP televisions. I think the explanation had to do with supported resolutions and converting. If someone can tell me about this (and I hope the answer is that it isn't an issue) then I can officially say I'm out of excuses not to buy it.

Also, how would people compare this to the XBR2 ? I've read some positive stuff in here but if anyone has anything to add much appreciated. I'm pretty irritated that sony basically strung along people with the XBR5 so even if the XBR2 was marginally better I'd probably go with this just becuase I am not happy with Sony.

thanks again.. and happy holidays all

I'm not a gamer, but I do have a PS3 for BR DVDs. Coincidentally, I put in a game called Ridge Racer 7 in the PS3 yesterday, and I thought the graphics were exquisite and the game seemed to perform great.

The XBR2 has a good picture, probably equal to the Samsung 7288 and probably superior to the Mitsu 73833. I too was waiting for the XBR5.

One thing to consider on the 7288. With a HD source (HD or BR DVD) the picture is wonderful. With a high quality Comcast 1080i broadcast like CSI Miami, the picture is great. With a low quality SD broadcast, the picture is awful. I don't know how the Sony or Mitsu would perform with SD because the stores always have them on a high def source. Good Luck.
post #176 of 260
Howdy. Long time lurker. First time in years posting.

I've had the HL-T7288 for about 10 days now. It replaced a Hitachi 61 RP HD from 2002. We had a new Sony KDL 40XBR4(LCD) occupying the space for a week until the Sammy got here. Of course there will be big differences between the LARGE DLP and much smaller LCD when viewed in same location but we were impressed with the Sammy as soon as we turned it on and, realizing the differences between two different types and sizes of displays, gave us absolutely no let down for the Sammy comparing the two. Amazing all round and incredible blacks.

SD is pretty lousy, especially on such a large screen, as to be expected (but still so much better than our old Hitachi especially in colors and blacks and overall clarity) and even more so in full screen but the HD from different sources is remarkable, almost as good as the 40XBR4. We normally view from about 14' away and have it elevated about 36" up from floor. I often view from about 20-25 ft away, about 50 degree from center while on computer in this room. Picture is relatively perfect from that angle and distance. During the day we have one large window behind and off to side of our view seating that allows in medium light. No problems from reflections. With the Hitachi we had to close the shade for comfortable daytime viewing without reflections. Sound very good considering coming only from TV. The "speech" setting is good for those with difficulty hearing spoken word along with music and other sounds and at the same time doesn't make the other sounds too muffled. I am still playing with all the "picture" settings but out-of-box was very good as was the "sound" settings.

DH is using Sammy some for surfing, email, and NetFlix from his computer. It is fantastic and very easy on eyes lowering the brightness considerably with a bit of other tweaking for maximum confort but not really necessary. I ran a DVI to HDMI out of computer video card, ATI 9600, for 30 ft to TV; no apparent loss of PQ. Was going to spend $300+ for cable but found a very good one, <$150, at CC, store brand. NetFlix, "watch instantly" has poor quality video no mater what displayed on; just poor quality from source. We don't have HD or BR DVD, nor an upconverting DVD yet, just progressive scan, but really look forward to that and hope to get a PS3 soon, although we are not "gamers", for the BR and other things it offers. DVDs or recordings from Pany DMR-E85H, progressive scan only, via component, vary in PQ; good as expected to okay. And, yes, depending on station and program, the over air HD varies considerably. We us an indoor antenna and get most signals 90-100 percent. Dish HD varies also, with the VOOM programing usually the best PQ (We had Voom in addition to Dish prior to its being absorbed by Dish. HD football, GO Cowboys, ........ what can I say.... to "die for".

BTW... I, also, helped set up an RP, 61 Sony at a friends house last week. The Sony Remote.... when you bring up some functions, like changing display, etc., the display stays on the screen for a very brief time. If you aren't quick enough you have to start over. The Sammy leaves the choices up on screen long enough for even the slowest person to take action. I started programing my new Harmony 890 last night. Too soon to make comments.

That being said the Sammy has about 1/4" vertical bowing on left and at least 1/2" on the right. Barely acceptable to me but DH (husband) is okay with it. We rarely watch anything but full screen so it is not perceptible most of the time. Getting anything large in and out of our wooded, country home is difficult to say the least, so we have decided to avoid the hassles and "be with" the bowing.

Is there any possibility that this bowing will correct even the slightest over time? If I understand correctly calibrating (it will be a while before we can afford this) this Sammy doesn't remove bowing? Surely it won't get worse?

BTW... we ordered from *******. It was "curbside" delivery only but very nice delivery man brought it across 60 ft of gravel drive, over sandbags, around two sides of house and some mud, up onto deck (up about 10"), up back door threshold barely fitting through door, through house, unpacked, lifted up to stand with a friend of mine assisting, and turned it on. Then moved the HUGE box out of our way (We've now kept the box a week, TV staying, so time to break it down. Did I say how HUGE that box is?.) Needless to say I gave him a very good tip.

gg=alice
post #177 of 260
hmm.. this is all sounding pretty good (hopefully not too good to be true after my dissapointment with the xbr5)

the 'bowing' does sound a little scary.. does anyone know if it happens on all the tv's or is it hit and miss ? sounds like hit and miss from peoples posts here.. and I can't see anything on the pics of the football game above (maybe just too small to see it though)

at this point I guess I'll just wait to see if anything REAL is announced at CES and if not I'll look into picking this up in the new year. I'm slightly worried becuase I'm moving into a new condo (also delayed.. maybe its made by Sony) and if it couldn't be manouvered through the door that would be devastating...

anyhow... hopefully more people will chime in and I'm glad reviving this thread is getting some more positive feedback !

GEEKGRANNY... I'm also replacing a RPTV from 2000 or 2001. I'm used to watching SD on that, you say that the Samsung is better for HD than your RPTV was right ? that gives me hope..

thanks all !
post #178 of 260
Quote:
Originally Posted by slamduncan View Post

and I can't see anything on the pics of the football game above (maybe just too small to see it though)

On my Sammy you can't really see the bowing unless you have some black bars on the sides like 4:3 viewing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by slamduncan View Post

I'm moving into a new condo (also delayed.. maybe its made by Sony) and if it couldn't be maneuvered through the door that would be devastating...

The measurements of the box are (rounded) 72" X 52" X 29". It had been raining for days and drizzling that day so box might have been a bit expanded by moisture. (See picture below of box still on truck. The delivery guy was not small; almost 6 ft.) My back door is a standard 32" but with the door stops and door edge the opening is 29". It just slid right through with no room to spare. Getting the Hitachi RP out that door damaged the edge of door. When we brought that one in 2002 we used front, double door entry, but the passage was blocked on the day Hitachi was removed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by slamduncan View Post

GEEKGRANNY... I'm also replacing a RPTV from 2000 or 2001. I'm used to watching SD on that, you say that the Samsung is better for HD than your RPTV was right ? that gives me hope..

The Hitachi I had, purchased 2002, 61SWX10B, was HD with CRT lamps, 1080i. We never had it professionally calibrated, and it did have an abundance of hours on the original lamps, which were dimming after 5+ years of being on most of the time, plus some burn-in which the Sammy is not supposed to do. Because the resolution was not as good and detail and edges much less sharp and dimming significantly it was not as easy to see the difference between HD and SD on the Hitachi. The difference between SD and good HD is very easy to see on the new Sammy. The worse SD is still fun to watch but when you switch over to HD from SD, especially a "bad" SD source ..... hold on to your seat, especially if you aren't used to seeing a "brilliant" HD picture on a good HD set. Before receiving the Sammy we used the new 40", LCD, Sony in Sammy's "spot" AND we are not at all disappointed with the RP DLP Sammy. We kind of played around with the idea of putting the Sony beside the Sammy until the Sony's spot was ready. We might do it still just to compare the two.

I don't think you will be disappointed at all. As far as the bowing, I'm still waiting for input from other members. After the new year I'll probably call Samsung to see if they will get someone out here to check on the bowing and one other thing.....

When I hook up sound cable coming from computer, on HDMI #3, which you use when you have an HDMI coming in that doesn't carry the sound with picture, like from my PC, I get a very loud humming noise. I tried direct from PC and via a small amplifier and still get the loud hummmm. I don't know if this is something I'm not doing right, although it seems pretty straight forward, or if it is a problem with the TV. I only have one more input hooked up that has a separate sound input, the component from DVD and it doesn't have the hum.

GG=Alice
post #179 of 260
GG, thanks for all the info... I think I'll wait until after CES to make my final decision but this TV is my #1 option right now I think... posting in the thread for the XBR5 someone suggested the mitsubishi but I'm not even sure I can get that in Canada...

I'd pull the trigger right now but I 'should' be moving in February and I don't want to have this monster moved twice.. we have a 42 inch sharp aquos in the bedroom so we're getting very used to HD... but I still have a soft spot for the Simpsons so some SD still gets viewed..

thanks again for the great info !

SD
post #180 of 260
Quote:
Originally Posted by slamduncan View Post

GG, thanks for all the info... I think I'll wait until after CES to make my final decision but this TV is my #1 option right now I think... posting in the thread for the XBR5 someone suggested the mitsubishi but I'm not even sure I can get that in Canada...

You're very welcome. We like to view as many TVs as possible, in person, before making a decision. But our CC did not have this particular Sammy. The deciding factor for me was the projected life expectancy of the lamps in the Sammy versus others. Installing lamps on the old Hitachi was better left to professionals, from what I understand. It may be true of some of the new RPs, not sure, but the Sammy is pretty easily done, when and if the time is needed. The life expectancy, though, on this Sammy is supposed to be well longer than many TVs in home will be used for many years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by slamduncan View Post

I'd pull the trigger right now but I 'should' be moving in February and I don't want to have this monster moved twice.. we have a 42 inch sharp aquos in the bedroom so we're getting very used to HD... but I still have a soft spot for the Simpsons so some SD still gets viewed..

thanks again for the great info !

SD

I too would wait, especially having another HD in residence already. We would have gladly watched our 40" Sony for longer in Sammy's spot, even from as far away as we sit, 14 ft. We were told that we would be surprised at how large the 40" LCD would look and didn't believe it until we set it up.

The reason we purchased two really good TVs at the same time was because our Hitachi had a sound problem that couldn't be fixed properly for three repairs within the same extended warranty so it qualified for the "lemon clause". CC gave us $2K toward the original $3.8 purchase price, that had to be used toward another TV. CC did not have the Sammy we wanted so we applied it to the Sony purchase and ordered the replacement RP online. Our choice as to who we purchased the Sammy we wanted from was qualified by, 1) Reputation of seller including customer delivery satisfaction, 2) ability to purchase a 5 year extended warranty, and lastly price. BTW.... PURCHASE A FIVE(5) YEAR EXTENDED WARRANTY up front. We found out the importance of this as we had renewed our warranty for the Hitachi in 2006. Prior to that the Hitachi had been repaired two times for the ongoing sound problem under the original extended warranty that wasn't five years. When we renewed the policy the previous repairs for the same problem didn't count under renewed, "new" warranty. Otherwise it would have been replaced much sooner by the "lemon clause."

It makes me really nervous moving these big guys around. And I think it might be hard to duplicate the original packing that the TV is first delivered in.

Good luck. Hopefully even more people will report here about their Sammys.

GG=Alice
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Rear Projection Units
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › Rear Projection Units › HL-T7288W...First impressions