or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Receivers, Amps, and Processors › D-Sonic custom Audio amps
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

D-Sonic custom Audio amps - Page 42

post #1231 of 1260
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikazaru View Post

Nice amps, but you're paying a heavy premium for those "name brands".

Paying for the box!
post #1232 of 1260
Quote:
Originally Posted by comfynumb View Post

Hi, that's what I'm hearing from all you guys that own them. That you'd never go back. I'm hearing the new M2 d sonics are a leap forward from the ICE. Not that they aren't good also. I'm chomping at the bit for a couple monos, but it won't be long now.

I have the M2 5CH 500x3 2x250 8ohm Nice and cool and sounds awesome
post #1233 of 1260
Quote:
Originally Posted by a1usedcomp View Post

I have the M2 5CH 500x3 2x250 8ohm Nice and cool and sounds awesome



It sounds like you've definitely have enough power smile.gif how do you compare it to other amp(s) you've owned?
Edited by comfynumb - 5/15/13 at 2:22pm
post #1234 of 1260
has anyone here owned the M2-750-3 amp? Does it share the same internals as the stereo or the > 3 channel units?

I'm looking for a 3 channel amp for my center and rears and the M2-750-3 might fit the bill

(also considering the w4s mini mc-3)
post #1235 of 1260
I noticed that the D-Sonic website has been revised. Looks like there is a new M3 series being introduced and a few models (IIRC) have been discontinued.

Would be interested in hearing what the changes are for the new M3 models.
post #1236 of 1260
Quote:
Originally Posted by laulau View Post

I noticed that the D-Sonic website has been revised. Looks like there is a new M3 series being introduced and a few models (IIRC) have been discontinued.

Would be interested in hearing what the changes are for the new M3 models.
Thanks for sharing this. They look interesting. Only 3 watts idle.
post #1237 of 1260
Quote:
Originally Posted by laulau View Post

I noticed that the D-Sonic website has been revised. Looks like there is a new M3 series being introduced and a few models (IIRC) have been discontinued.

Would be interested in hearing what the changes are for the new M3 models.



Will take a look soon thanks. Maybe Dennis will share his thoughts about the new model on this thread.
post #1238 of 1260
I'm going to take credit where credit is not due... but I have been bugging Dennis for months to change the "drawings" on the website to pictures. It definitely looks 1000% better now. Producing good photographic details of black boxes is difficult and time consuming.

PS. We are anxiously expecting a review of the 7 channel high-power amp to appear within the next month or two from a website with whom we do NOT advertise.

smile.gif
post #1239 of 1260
Quote:
Originally Posted by conanb View Post

I'm going to take credit where credit is not due... but I have been bugging Dennis for months to change the "drawings" on the website to pictures. It definitely looks 1000% better now. Producing good photographic details of black boxes is difficult and time consuming.

PS. We are anxiously expecting a review of the 7 channel high-power amp to appear within the next month or two from a website with whom we do NOT advertise.

smile.gif



I did check it out and have to agree, everything looks great. I just can't seem to find anything on what the differences are with the M3 over the M2. I will also look for that review, can't wait smile.gif
post #1240 of 1260
A review of the D-Sonic M3-5400-7 Class D Seven-Channel Power Amplifier has been posted at Secrets of HT and HiFi.
post #1241 of 1260
Quote:
Originally Posted by laulau View Post

A review of the D-Sonic M3-5400-7 Class D Seven-Channel Power Amplifier has been posted at Secrets of HT and HiFi.



Thanks for the heads up! That's a pretty glowing review and my minds pretty made up to go with the new M3. It's just that class D is growing in leaps and bounds so quickly, I'm afraid the next "M4" will be that much better.
post #1242 of 1260
Quote:
Originally Posted by comfynumb View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by laulau View Post

A review of the D-Sonic M3-5400-7 Class D Seven-Channel Power Amplifier has been posted at Secrets of HT and HiFi.



Thanks for the heads up! That's a pretty glowing review and my minds pretty made up to go with the new M3. It's just that class D is growing in leaps and bounds so quickly, I'm afraid the next "M4" will be that much better.

You didn't notice that it was content free?

Typical paragraph:

"Towards the end of the film, when Dumbledore confronts Voldemort in the Department of Mysteries, we are treated with a plethora of challenging audio montages. This entire scene is filled with huge dynamic swings as the two wizards duel. My favorite of these to test dynamics occurs when Voldemort shatters all of the glass in the room. The M3 handled this scene easily, giving detailed and precise resolution to all of the effects. I pushed the volume as much as was reasonable, and the M3 never reached a point of fatigue - exactly what you'd expect from a unit with this sort of power."

Maybe I'm just being a curmudgeon, but a critical read says that it really says nothing. I see where the author could even agree with the that the M3 is grotesquely overpowered in any reasonable home system and that all good amplifiers sound the same. Put that in your mind and read it again and see if you don't agree with me.
post #1243 of 1260
Quote:
Originally Posted by comfynumb View Post

Thanks for the heads up! That's a pretty glowing review and my minds pretty made up to go with the new M3. It's just that class D is growing in leaps and bounds so quickly, I'm afraid the next "M4" will be that much better.
There always seems to be something better around the corner. I had an old D-Sonic unit and it was fantastic. I used it with my MK 150 system and was very happy. I'm sure you'll be happy with any of the M3 units.
post #1244 of 1260
Quote:
Originally Posted by arnyk View Post

I see where the author could even agree with the that the M3 is grotesquely overpowered in any reasonable home system and that all good amplifiers sound the same.
What? I get the idea of what you're getting across, but could be a bit clearer.
post #1245 of 1260
Quote:
Originally Posted by arnyk View Post

You didn't notice that it was content free?
Quote:
Originally Posted by pgwalsh View Post

What? I get the idea of what you're getting across, but could be a bit clearer.

He's saying, and I agree 100%, that he review is useless in that essentially the same words can be and have been written about dozens if not hundreds of decent amps.

Without comparison to competing amps, of what use is the review?

Even with comparison, all too many reviews say something like "I wasn't left wanting when I used it in place of my reference amp that cost X more", often with "except for a subtle..." which would likely not be detectable in a blind test.
post #1246 of 1260
Quote:
Originally Posted by arnyk View Post

You didn't notice that it was content free?

Typical paragraph:

"Towards the end of the film, when Dumbledore confronts Voldemort in the Department of Mysteries, we are treated with a plethora of challenging audio montages. This entire scene is filled with huge dynamic swings as the two wizards duel. My favorite of these to test dynamics occurs when Voldemort shatters all of the glass in the room. The M3 handled this scene easily, giving detailed and precise resolution to all of the effects. I pushed the volume as much as was reasonable, and the M3 never reached a point of fatigue - exactly what you'd expect from a unit with this sort of power."

Maybe I'm just being a curmudgeon, but a critical read says that it really says nothing. I see where the author could even agree with the that the M3 is grotesquely overpowered in any reasonable home system and that all good amplifiers sound the same. Put that in your mind and read it again and see if you don't agree with me.

Why no measurements?
This is not the first time Secrests has done a review without measurements.
I have not seen a review of a class D on that site with measurements.
I am beginning to wonder if this is a coincidence.

- Rich
post #1247 of 1260
The review is technically weak, but the amp really delivers the train wreck scene in the Super 8 movie.
post #1248 of 1260
My thoughts are, any quality amp should do exactly that, amplify what you already have. I know there are differences, because I've heard them. But I don't think they are night and day differences (power ratings aside) like with preamps or BD players. Plus what one person likes in any one piece of gear another person may dislike. It's still all subjective and I doubt any of us would fair well in blind tests trying to detect one amp from another. My 2 cents.
Edited by comfynumb - 7/30/13 at 6:20pm
post #1249 of 1260
Quote:
Originally Posted by noah katz View Post


He's saying, and I agree 100%, that he review is useless in that essentially the same words can be and have been written about dozens if not hundreds of decent amps.

Without comparison to competing amps, of what use is the review?

Even with comparison, all too many reviews say something like "I wasn't left wanting when I used it in place of my reference amp that cost X more", often with "except for a subtle..." which would likely not be detectable in a blind test.
I understood what he was saying, it's just odd the way he said it. I think I 6moons does a good job and user reviews around here.
post #1250 of 1260
Quote:
Originally Posted by pgwalsh View Post

I understood what he was saying, it's just odd the way he said it. I think I 6moons does a good job and user reviews around here.

6moon-bats. smile.gif

You can measure differences between amps and it reasonable to consider most differences not audible.
The best reviews also measure. Audioholics does great reviews.
Here is me of the few digital amp reviews I have found ith measurements:

http://www.audioholics.com/reviews/amplifiers/axiom-audio-a1400-8/a1400-8-measurements

Secrets usually does very good reviews as does Home Theater Mag.

- Rich
post #1251 of 1260
Someone please tell me what the big diff and why with Class D3 amp configuration and class AB amp???? Whats the diff and which one is better for music and movies??? I have a Pioneer 1222K AVR. I really enjoy it. Its so clean and crisp. So detailed. The low end is so solid and so accurite. Ive had other class D amps like Marantz,Yamaha etc. Ive had several class AB configuration. They are not solid sounding or very clear and seems very weak. I would like to hear some input on this????
post #1252 of 1260
Quote:
Originally Posted by dabsim View Post

Someone please tell me what the big diff and why with Class D3 amp configuration and class AB amp???? Whats the diff and which one is better for music and movies??? I have a Pioneer 1222K AVR. I really enjoy it. Its so clean and crisp. So detailed. The low end is so solid and so accurite. Ive had other class D amps like Marantz,Yamaha etc. Ive had several class AB configuration. They are not solid sounding or very clear and seems very weak. I would like to hear some input on this????

You may want to read this thread and the accompanying review.
It is a different amp but the concepts may apply:

http://forums.audioholics.com/forums/amps-pre-pros-receivers/89236-iq-audio-m300-monoblock-amplifier-review.html

- Rich
post #1253 of 1260
Quote:
Originally Posted by comfynumb View Post

Thanks for the heads up! That's a pretty glowing review and my minds pretty made up to go with the new M3. It's just that class D is growing in leaps and bounds so quickly, I'm afraid the next "M4" will be that much better.

I have the M2-1500M (a pair of course) and it sounds awesome. I wouldn't worry too much. I'm pretty sure there are subtle changes between M2 and M3, maybe in the buffer stage? Just guessing. I've heard a lot of amps in all classes that I know of (A, AB, C, D, T) and to me the M2 is definitely one of the best I've heard. In it's price range it's no doubt the best.
post #1254 of 1260
Quote:
Originally Posted by arnyk View Post

You didn't notice that it was content free?

Typical paragraph:

"Towards the end of the film, when Dumbledore confronts Voldemort in the Department of Mysteries, we are treated with a plethora of challenging audio montages. This entire scene is filled with huge dynamic swings as the two wizards duel. My favorite of these to test dynamics occurs when Voldemort shatters all of the glass in the room. The M3 handled this scene easily, giving detailed and precise resolution to all of the effects. I pushed the volume as much as was reasonable, and the M3 never reached a point of fatigue - exactly what you'd expect from a unit with this sort of power."

Maybe I'm just being a curmudgeon, but a critical read says that it really says nothing. I see where the author could even agree with the that the M3 is grotesquely overpowered in any reasonable home system and that all good amplifiers sound the same. Put that in your mind and read it again and see if you don't agree with me.

I used to have 500 w/8 ohms mono blocks before I got the 1500 watt D-Sonic's. Before I bought the M2-1500M I tried out a pair of 250 wpc AB beasts. Apart from being huge and weighing a ton, I really felt that they lacked power, when being used to having twice as much. I have a lot of absorption in my listening room and like to enjoy higher volume levels from time to time, and I felt that the less powered amps compressed too much. It's nice to have all that dynamic power. In a normal living room 250 wpc may be more than enough, but I wouldn't call it overkill. It all depends on how loud you'd like to play and how important good dynamics are to you.
post #1255 of 1260
Quote:
Originally Posted by d00m View Post

I used to have 500 w/8 ohms mono blocks before I got the 1500 watt D-Sonic's. Before I bought the M2-1500M I tried out a pair of 250 wpc AB beasts. Apart from being huge and weighing a ton, I really felt that they lacked power, when being used to having twice as much. I have a lot of absorption in my listening room and like to enjoy higher volume levels from time to time, and I felt that the less powered amps compressed too much. It's nice to have all that dynamic power. In a normal living room 250 wpc may be more than enough, but I wouldn't call it overkill. It all depends on how loud you'd like to play and how important good dynamics are to you.



Hello Mr d00m smile.gif I agree some speakers may need this kind of power and it's nice to have a reserve.
post #1256 of 1260
Quote:
Originally Posted by comfynumb View Post

Hello Mr d00m smile.gif I agree some speakers may need this kind of power and it's nice to have a reserve.

Magnepans smile.gif

not sure 1500 watts is needed eek.gif but the vast majority of Maggie owners appreciate power.
post #1257 of 1260
Quote:
Originally Posted by comfynumb View Post

Hello Mr d00m smile.gif I agree some speakers may need this kind of power and it's nice to have a reserve.

Yep, the feeling that the amps do they work effortless is awesome and can also be heard when you push the knob a bit higher. smile.gif On the other hand I can agree that power isn't everything, I've heard amps with only a few watts of power that had a true magic sound to them. It all depends... smile.gif How you're listening and what aspects are most important to you.
post #1258 of 1260
Quote:
Originally Posted by ss9001 View Post

Magnepans smile.gif

not sure 1500 watts is needed eek.gif but the vast majority of Maggie owners appreciate power.

So I've heard too. smile.gif
post #1259 of 1260
Quote:
Originally Posted by dabsim View Post

Ive had other class D amps like Marantz,Yamaha etc.

To my knowledge neither Yamaha nor Marantz make or made class D amps.
post #1260 of 1260
Not true because Yamaha has made or makes class D pro audio amps.

In fact many of the big name manufacturers are (or already have) venturing into class D. It very well may be the future of HT.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Receivers, Amps, and Processors
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Receivers, Amps, and Processors › D-Sonic custom Audio amps