or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Blu-ray & HD DVD › HD DVD Software › Imports: HD-DVD Import Releases and Guide
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Imports: HD-DVD Import Releases and Guide - Page 4

post #91 of 1209
Thread Starter 
added details for goal!

thanks Kannisto
post #92 of 1209
Just finished watch my copy of Goal,

English DD+ 5.1, Japanese DD+ 5.1, English Commentry

The HDDVD is 1080i only, but upconverted to 1080p the PQ is great around a 4.7 stars, and audio 3.5-4 stars.
post #93 of 1209
FYI the spanish import of Underworld: Evolution's no subtitles trick works fine on the Toshiba XA2.
post #94 of 1209
Does the Elephant Man have ENGLISH subtitles?
post #95 of 1209
Thread Starter 
Yes 'Elephant Man' does have english subtitles, the list has been updated to include this information.

There is also a 'pitch issue' area added to the list which at this moment has 2 titles noted, if there are any others please post below, thankyou.
post #96 of 1209
Just reading back through the older threads, it appears that the following have the pitch issue:

Total Recall
Basic Instinct
Rambo (all three)
The Elephant Man
The Graduate

T2 does not have the issue.

If any of these are wrong (or if there are some I missed) please correct me.

Also, if I could offer one critique, it would be that it's probably better (imo) to include the "pitch issue" notation in the regualr summary of the movie, as opposed to having its own section at the bottom (that people may or may not check.) Just a suggestion...
post #97 of 1209
Thread Starter 
thanks for the info I have updated the pitch issue area, I am currently working on the list on word (I will copy and paste over when finished) This will have the pitch issue information under the relevant titles and also have pq and aq ratings courtesy of the pq/aq thread. I have been doing this list for a while but have found it hard to find the time as I am also trying to tidy up the list a bit, I am planning on having the updated list with more informative title areas up some time next week.

Thanks again for the help steeb
post #98 of 1209
Not sure if this has been mentioned, but Arizona Dream (studio canal) appears to actually have only a stereo track, although the box specs clearly say 4.0 track. Anyone confirm?
post #99 of 1209
Sorry to bust in with this, but i was woundering if im understanding this right?
So if I buy any of the imports that have english audio i will get the same english audio/ i will hear people talking in english if it is marked to have english audio?
Sorry for the dumb question just want to be sure before i start to buy imports.
Thanks in advance

Jeff
post #100 of 1209
Quote:
Originally Posted by gilham1 View Post

Sorry to bust in with this, but i was woundering if im understanding this right?
So if I buy any of the imports that have english audio i will get the same english audio/ i will hear people talking in english if it is marked to have english audio?

Yes.
Same as the US HD DVD releases with original English, dubbed French and dubbed Spanish tracks, the English audio on imports is the original English audio track of the movie.
post #101 of 1209
Quote:
Originally Posted by AES256 View Post

Yes.
Same as the US HD DVD releases with original English, dubbed French and dubbed Spanish tracks, the English audio on imports is the original English audio track of the movie.

Thank you for the reply.Looks like i will start importing some movies then
post #102 of 1209
A couple of small additions:
1) The subtitles trick for Underworld Evolution works on the European Toshiba HD-XE1 (HD-XA2 in America).
2) AxelMusic is another online retailer that can be added to the International versions section (they may only sell US imports in Europe though; no European/Japanese/Australian imports)
http://www.axelmusic.com/

This French list looks like a useful resource:
http://www.homecinema-fr.com/forum/v...php?t=29769511
post #103 of 1209
I just ordered Underworld Evolution from HD addicts. This is my first Import disc so Im anxiously awaiting its arrival!

I realized I paid a premium for the disc but I really enjoy the Underworld series and the PQ of this disc has been reviewed very positively.

Welcome me to the Import HD DVD club!
post #104 of 1209
Quote:
Originally Posted by pteittinen View Post

Dunno if this has been reported, but the English language DTS-HD MA track on the European Total Recall is a total fake. It sounds like it's been created artificially from a stereo track, by using a reverb effect during some scenes, running the effect through a low-pass filter and having the result play in surrounds. The difference to Lionsgate's BD release is nothing less than night and day, unfortunately.

So here's my question. Does the Australian release of Total Recall, which is a Universal release, have the same fake surround track with the attendant pitch issue that plagues the French Studio Canal release? It seems to me that since the release is by a different company in a different market it AQ and PQ could be altered. You know sort of like how my Spanish version of Underworld: Evolution has superior PQ to the North American BD release.
post #105 of 1209
Quote:
Originally Posted by fistofsouth View Post

So here's my question. Does the Australian release of Total Recall, which is a Universal release, have the same fake surround track with the attendant pitch issue that plagues the French Studio Canal release? It seems to me that since the release is by a different company in a different market it AQ and PQ could be altered. You know sort of like how my Spanish version of Underworld: Evolution has superior PQ to the North American BD release.

The Austrailian disc is actually co-distributed by Studio Canal and Universal. In all regards the disc is exactly the same.
post #106 of 1209
I know HD-DVD discs are generally region free, but on Amazon UK most of the movies are listed as being Region 2. Is this just a mistake on their part?
post #107 of 1209
Quote:
Originally Posted by robnaz View Post

I know HD-DVD discs are generally region free, but on Amazon UK most of the movies are listed as being Region 2. Is this just a mistake on their part?

Many retailers still don't seem to know anything about the HD formats (apart from that they exist) and simply use their SD DVD template when listing HD discs e.g. listing them with SD DVD regions. I've even seen a site list HD DVDs with BD region codes
post #108 of 1209
And on another note, it looks like Mr & Mrs Smith is out on HD DVD in Poland:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=867284
(links to several Polish etailers listed in the thread as well)
post #109 of 1209
Is the Pitch issue due to PAL speedup while watching on a NTSC player or is this Studio Canal having problems since T2 has been reported to be fine in that regard? Thanks!
post #110 of 1209
Quote:
Originally Posted by ObsessedWithHD View Post

Is the Pitch issue due to PAL speedup while watching on a NTSC player or is this Studio Canal having problems since T2 has been reported to be fine in that regard? Thanks!

They had some issues on certain titles. No one knows for sure what happened.
post #111 of 1209
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkny75 View Post

They had some issues on certain titles. No one knows for sure what happened.

Interesting. Thanks for the response!
Regards,
Paul
post #112 of 1209
Thread Starter 
sorry theres been no update yet a BIG one is coming this week which will hopefully make the thread even more helpful
post #113 of 1209
I picked another UK import it's calledd: Worldcup2006 All the Goals, I picked this up since I needed space on my 622's so had to delete my recordings (E* dragging feet on external storage). I'll be picking up the final game also.

Video: 1080p, 16x9 full screen (130 minutes)

Audio: DD5.1 in English, French, Spanish, Greek, Netherlands, Italian, Portuguese

Subtitles: Swedish, Norwigan, Danish, Turkish and 1 other language I don't know
post #114 of 1209
Is Kingdom of Heaven going to be released as a import anytime soon?





Kent233
post #115 of 1209
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kent233 View Post

Is Kingdom of Heaven going to be released as a import anytime soon?



Kent233

Yeah really..... and it had better be the Directors cut since that is a much better film! If this comes out, Im all over it ASAFP!
post #116 of 1209
I see that Pan's Labyrinth is available tomorrow on Amazon France. However, I can't tell if there will be an English soundtrack. Does anyone know - since it's not listed in the Import List with specs. Thanks.
post #117 of 1209
Anyone know what the difference, if any, there is between the version of Tom Raider on HD-DVD already out and the new being released in Europe (Uk, Germany, Etc.) on September 3?
post #118 of 1209
I think it is a little strange that the rule is that the menu settings has to be in English to be on the list.

Sound OK
Subtitles OK

But the menu, come on how hard can it be to figuere out, when you have this rule you keep out releases like Mr. & Mrs. Smith HDDVD from Poland, it cant be your intend or what. I think that a lot of people would be interested in importing a FOX title like this when it offer TOP PQ and english sound.
post #119 of 1209
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmvpetersen View Post

I think it is a little strange that the rule is that the menu settings has to be in English to be on the list.

I tend to agree, just because you can't read the text on the screen, you can always use the dedicated buttons on the remote to toggle through audio tracks and subtitles. No need for foreign language skills
post #120 of 1209
Quote:
Originally Posted by roachxp View Post

I picked another UK import it's calledd: Worldcup2006 All the Goals, I picked this up since I needed space on my 622's so had to delete my recordings (E* dragging feet on external storage). I'll be picking up the final game also.

Video: 1080p, 16x9 full screen (130 minutes)

Audio: DD5.1 in English, French, Spanish, Greek, Netherlands, Italian, Portuguese

Subtitles: Swedish, Norwigan, Danish, Turkish and 1 other language I don't know

Where?!

I haven't found it anywhere at any e-tailer. Preordered it two months before it's original releasedate but then it got pushed backed and soon after that it wasn't available to order anywhere.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: HD DVD Software
AVS › AVS Forum › Blu-ray & HD DVD › HD DVD Software › Imports: HD-DVD Import Releases and Guide