Originally Posted by Kelson
Actually Panasonic has a preferrence for RAM disks. Their support for anything else is marginal.
Not on my machine, $*$&^!!!
I'm on my THIRD EZ45V (from Costco)
- Actually, the first of 'the three' was this model's predecessor.
The previous 2 completely DIED on me: they 'ate' my dvd-rw discs & completely froze up (Lots of zeroes - "Hello" - then completely non-responsive). Each unit had an irretrievable disc in it when I returned to Costco for a replacement.
- Evidence suggests that perhaps these units overheat the motherboard. I recall reading about a tech-minded store owner added Heat Sinks onto the motherboard to prevent this crap: a open-the-box procedure I'm not technically savvy enough to try.)
Now my THIRD unit is screwing up on me...
The machine has always worked fine using my Maxell, TDK & Sony discs, dvd-r & dvd-rw alike.
Now, all of a sudden, it Can't Read any of my TDK discs - finalized, unfinalized or Even BLANK (New).
Worst of all (& this is why I'm replying to this particular post [Pana supports dvd-ram])...
- 2 months ago i bought a spindle of PANASONIC dvd-rams. After having used 2 discs (which the unit can no longer Read), I get a "Can't Read disc" error message from my Blank PANNY dvd-ram discs!
I don't have a dvr, & have used these units to burn RW discs to catch tv shows I'd otherwise miss. Alas - no longer, it would seem...
Am pulling my hair out here: the current unit - like the last one before it - worked fine for about 3-4 months before it started crapping out on me.
Don't know what i'm going to do...
End note: machine started coughing back ("Can't Read [blank] disc") my TDK dvd-r discs last night, just as ready to record Battlestar Galactica, I found an older Sony blank, which the machine read just fine - so didn't miss last night's episode...
Why do these machines die on me so consistently, I wonder.
- Sure... perhaps I'll get a response that TDK discs are inferior - but that doesn't explain why they've always worked Just Fine until now.
Moreover - it was a couple of Months ago that it suddenly couldn't even handle Panny's Own DVD-RAm discs (!!!)
Suggestions, anyone (please)?
- Perhaps I need buy a spindle of new Sony or Verbatim discs (dvd-r & dvd-rw) to hold me over until June - when panny releases the newer upgrade units - & take this source-of-frustration back to Costco for a replacement?
In sum: 3 units -
1st lasted just over 6 mo.s
The subsequent replacements (both DMR EZ475Vs) each worked OK for 3-4 months.
- Why does performance deteriorate so precipitously after just a couple of months?
(I'm just waiting for this machine to completely Freeze-Up like the others, refusing to disgorge whatever disc I have in it at the time....)
Sorry for the rant.
Thnx in advance for any wisdom from any of you folks (!).