Originally Posted by DigaDo
I assume that you are inquiring about Coupon Eligible Converter Boxes (CECBs) for OTA reception of digital broadcast signals, not for use with cable or satellite systems.
The Zenith DTT901 is the best overall performer with faster channel changing than that of the Panasonic EZ series recorders. (I have four EZ17 models and one EZ28 model.)
I have been entrusted with ten CECB coupons from my immediate and extended family. I purchased two Zenith DTT900 models, six Zenith DTT901 models and two Zinwell ZAT-970A models. The DTT901 and ZAT-970A models have analog pass through.
The Zinwell 970A (and the more recent 950A) have an eight event timer for changing channels in order to allow unattended scheduled recordings with VCRs or DVD recorders.
If you do not yet have coupons the NTIA is still accepting applications but there is a waiting list for coupon delivery until unused coupons expire or more "bail out money" is provided by Congress.
Now you see, your answer is why this is such a good forum. I am so pleased with your sharing the information. Your assumptions are correct, and I assume you do think it is worth the hassle.
1. But I am unsure if you think the DTT901 is the best performer for channel changing or for other options as well.
2. Also, if you'll forgive my ignorance, what is an analog pass through, and what is its advantage?
3. In addition, why might I prefer the DTT901 over the Zinwell 970A and 950A?
4. Does the DTT901 have an event timer for changing channels to allow unattended scheduled recordings with my EZ47V recorder? Perhaps I also don't understand this option.
5. If you don't mind telling me, what price did you pay for your DTT90 and the Zinwell 970A after applying the coupon and where did you get them?
I just got on the waiting list for a CECB coupon; I only requested one coupon as Im not anticipating getting another analog TV. Gotta help out Uncle Sam when I can, even though I never really wanted HDTV anyway. Yeah, I know it will grow on me. And think of the money the government can get selling or leasing the airwaves.
I'll return to this forum tomorrow I hope.