or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › Rear Projection Units › 2007 Samsung HL-Txx76 Owner's Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

2007 Samsung HL-Txx76 Owner's Thread - Page 5

post #121 of 1965
Quote:
Originally Posted by evilklown View Post

YOU CANNOT MOUNT THAT SPEAKER ON TOP,not a chance...6oz will weigh it down.

Thanks.
post #122 of 1965
so in the service menu, theres no setting for setting the center of the middle.

my sisters sony crt, had a tv with a sad face. I accessed the service menu, and there was a setting where I could adjust the middle up and down, making, sad, or happy faces. I got the lines on the screen pretty straight
post #123 of 1965
Quote:
Originally Posted by opfreak View Post

my sisters sony crt, had a tv with a sad face.

Your sister's CRT TV is a different technology. You were adjusting control of the electron beam in the CRT TV. There is no electron beam in microchip displays. They project light onto a screen which you can't control in the same way.
post #124 of 1965
hey guys been reading for a while, very informative posts, although it seems like with any tv you chose you are just picking your poison. i bought the 5676s about a week ago and due to a prior config i am having to use the coaxial to connect to dish sat. the stb that i am using is the dual tuner dvr, the main connection is in the bedroom while the secondary is run though coax to the living room where the 5676s is . my question is can i have two coaxial connection (dish coax and antenna for hd locals) run at the same time? to get the dish to work i have to have the coax plugged in to "ant 2 in" and the channel set to 60 then i get all my dish channels. i don't understand why i can't plug the dish coax into the ant 1 in, which says cable, and get the channels? then when i want to watch hd locals i have to remove the dish coax from "ant 2 in" and plug that coax into ant 2 in" and then i get the hd locals. the obvious problem is that this requires me to get up, but also i wonder if this means there is something wrong with the tv? i am fairly new to this so any help would be appreciated
post #125 of 1965
I finally checked out the 76S series TV. I was at Sears yesterday (Sat.) for something else. I saw the HTS dept., so I wandered over there. On display was an HL-T5676S TV. However, it was placed very high (I'd say the center of the TV was 7' above the floor), so obviously the picture looked a little darker than it normally would. And from an angle, it looked even darker.

I was surprised to learn that Sears was selling it cheaper than Amazon. But by no means the cheapest price you can find on the 'net. I'd really like to get this TV since the LED ones are too pricey for me. However, all these bowing issues give me hesitation. Well, I know that even Samsung's LED TVs are prone to that. I haven't really looked into JVC, Toshiba, etc., but I might start doing that. I really do want a Samsung due to its excellent PQ, when calibrated. Decisions, decisions ...
post #126 of 1965
Thread Starter 
As I previously stated, without the folded paper shim, the image is about 1/2" lower on the right than the left, this appears to be a rotated, not warped image, and is effectively cured with a shim under the right front corner of the foot. This leaves the slight curvature, or bowing seen at the bottom of the picture. Theres an almost imperceptable hump in the middle of the bottom of the screen, with a slight dip to its left, and a final upturn on the outer 8" of the screen. Measured across the bottom, from the lower edge to the top of the menu bar, at approx 6" intervals, it goes 5 5/8", 5 1/2", 5 7/16", 5 1/2", 5 9/16", 5 1/2", 5 1/2", 5 1/2", 5 1/2". This is with the shim in place.

Given that this effect is only really found near the bottom of the screen, and is nullified at the edges, this seems to be due to the screen bowing outward slightly under its weight, and I feel secure that it could be resolved with a rehanging of the screen.

One of the more interesting issues that came up as I ran the test screens from the USB port was that the TV did not like to resolve the images very well. I have attached a few examples.

The TV seems perfectly capable of being able to resolve one pixel thick lines or characters in some cases, but seems to not have true detail resolution for the most part. The moire effect comes in on a much coarser pattern than I'd like. So, heres the question: Is this a limitation of the image processing of the TV, or is this a limitation of the picture quality of the USB input, or what? Is there a way to make the image more precise? I suppose I could try to get DVI-HDMI cable and see how it displays a direct PC output, but I'm interested to hear ideas.
LL
LL
LL
post #127 of 1965
Quote:
Originally Posted by mantraxl View Post

As I previously stated, without the folded paper shim, the image is about 1/2" lower on the right than the left, this appears to be a rotated, not warped image, and is effectively cured with a shim under the right front corner of the foot. This leaves the slight curvature, or bowing seen at the bottom of the picture. Theres an almost imperceptable hump in the middle of the bottom of the screen, with a slight dip to its left, and a final upturn on the outer 8" of the screen. Measured across the bottom, from the lower edge to the top of the menu bar, at approx 6" intervals, it goes 5 5/8", 5 1/2", 5 7/16", 5 1/2", 5 9/16", 5 1/2", 5 1/2", 5 1/2", 5 1/2". This is with the shim in place.

Are these shims placed in between the bezel and the screen?? No shims under the TV have worked for me.

Anyway, as for the update, I sent my first 5076 TV back and picked up a new 5076. Brought it home set it up, and the same bowing (barrel effect problem, smiley face etc.). Not bad through the middle but you can definitely tell at the sides. Words will slant upwards. I've come to the conclusion that it is the screen, and here is where the problem lies.

All DLP's at the store have bowing issues. Either they have it ever so slightly, or just at the bottom, or not at the bottom, just at the top, or both bottom and top. The reason why the Samsung XX76's and LED models are more prone to it, is not just b/c of the thin bezel, but b/c of the new UltraSlim TV.

The Un-Slim TV's have mirrors placed in the back of the TV that reflect the image straight ahead onto the screen. The UltraSlims, in order to get them thin, have placed the mirrors on the top of the TV, albeit the caution lavel on top of out TV's. This image is now reflected to our screen at an angle. Any deviation in the straightness of the screen leads to a more drastic change in the image.

I looked at others in the store and only 1 barely had the problem. Some other guy on this thread went through 4 of these TV's, all with this bowing problem. The problem is BS. We shouldn't have to deal with it when paying $2K, $1500, or whatever. I bleieve as well that a new screen will fix the problem. I'm just debating to send it back to the store and get the 46" LCD Samsung, or deal with Customer Service yet again to be not satisfied.
post #128 of 1965
I hear you Muff but LCD's have their problems too,I searched that 46" 1080P forum and it isnt pretty either...I'm waiting to see what Samsung has to say.
post #129 of 1965
Quote:
Originally Posted by evilklown View Post

I hear you Muff but LCD's have their problems too,I searched that 46" 1080P forum and it isnt pretty either...I'm waiting to see what Samsung has to say.

Your right. This is all crap. I wanted to treat myself to a TV, and my OCD has taken this to a whole new level. I now feel stress everyday since I had this TV. I went back to CC to check out other TV's and I saw the 5676S for $100 cheaper than what I paid for the 5076S!!! I am most likely going to bring this back to CC, get the 56", get a $100 credit, and then just deal with Samsung on this issue, if it is still there. I love this TV so much, but the Geometry is killing me. I truely believe a new screen, and minor tech adjustment could put us in a blissful situation, but for now I am just pissing my fiance off.

I looked into the LN-T4665F. I saw it at the store and it looked amazing. Got the best review in its class on Cnet. But I then check here and see there are clouds people can't get rid of, there are HDMI issue drop outs, what the F'. This site is suppose to help us, not turn us into mental patients..........ANYONE AGREE??//
post #130 of 1965
I know this may be obvious question, but is it HDMI 1.3?
post #131 of 1965
I agree but it is still a great place to exchange ideas
post #132 of 1965
Hey Folks,

I plan on making my first HDTV purchase any day now, and have basically decided on the 6176s, although I'm still considering the Sony A2020 and waiting for the Sony A3000. But I really like the styling of the Samsung DLP, and while I think the Sony picture is slightly better, the Samsung seems to be right there with the Sony. In any case, the series of posts about the bowing issue gives me pause. I've seen the 5676 several times at CC (although, unfortunately, they have the TV in its own separate station so that it only plays Blu-Rays), and I haven't noticed any bowing issues at all. But I haven't resorted to some of the lengths of others -- in terms of the use of rulers and the like. So my question is to what extent is the bowing issue noticeable to the naked eye, other than in those instances when one is viewing the menu? I could deal with a bit of bowing when viewing the menu as long as my experience while viewing programming was top notch. Any advice is greatly appreciated. Thanks.
post #133 of 1965
Quote:
Originally Posted by sjeffries View Post

Hey Folks,

I plan on making my first HDTV purchase any day now, and have basically decided on the 6176s, although I'm still considering the Sony A2020 and waiting for the Sony A3000. But I really like the styling of the Samsung DLP, and while I think the Sony picture is slightly better, the Samsung seems to be right there with the Sony. In any case, the series of posts about the bowing issue gives me pause. I've seen the 5676 several times at CC (although, unfortunately, they have the TV in its own separate station so that it only plays Blu-Rays), and I haven't noticed any bowing issues at all. But I haven't resorted to some of the lengths of others -- in terms of the use of rulers and the like. So my question is to what extent is the bowing issue noticeable to the naked eye, other than in those instances when one is viewing the menu? I could deal with a bit of bowing when viewing the menu as long as my experience while viewing programming was top notch. Any advice is greatly appreciated. Thanks.


If you want no trouble, stay away from it. I'm fed up with Samsung at the moment so my viewpoint might be skewed a bit, but I doubt it. This bowing is not just with the service menu. It is with every horizontal line on the screen. You won't be able to notice it in everything you watch, but if you get straight lines in show or movie and the last 8 inches of the screen, you will notice it....From a door that is curving out words, to words that slant upwards at the end of the screen.

It's BS quite frankly. If you want to get it and take youtr chances, go ahead. If you end up getting a problem, ask samsung to replace the screen and do an adjustment. I went thorugh 2 already and still hve the prob. Another guy went through 4 of them and still has the problem. I lok at 3 different stores and I would say 1 out of the 7 i saw had little or no bowing. The chances are not in your favor.
post #134 of 1965
hello all, my 4th hlt 76s has the dreaded bowing, along with the first 3. finally had my tech come out, he did all of his tilt adjustments and nothing worked, he didn't know what to do. he said he would call samsung. He did and they told him that there were NO adjustments he could make to fix the bowing and they final advice for me is to return the tv for a new one and hope it does not have bowing. thanks samsung.
post #135 of 1965
mranbel,thats the road I'm heading down.
post #136 of 1965
i'm 4 days away from my 30 days, i'm going to probably return it with the assumption of it being bad and try and get samsung to upgrade me to a lcd or something. all of this and it's my first hdtv, still haven't lost hope though.
post #137 of 1965
Quote:
Originally Posted by mranbel View Post

hello all, my 4th hlt 76s has the dreaded bowing, along with the first 3. finally had my tech come out, he did all of his tilt adjustments and nothing worked, he didn't know what to do. he said he would call samsung. He did and they told him that there were now adjustments he could make to fix the bowing and they final advice for me is to return the tv for a new one and hope it does not have bowing. thanks samsung.

If they said there were now adjustments, then what are they and why would they suggest you exchange the set? Are they saying the version you have does not have the adjustment capability?
post #138 of 1965
ive had my 5676s for almost two weeks now yeah when i first got it i could see the bowing but only on the directv menu.it still does it but not as bad maybe they just need to break in for awhile.i watch about 6 hours of tv a day ive watched HD DVD and Blue ray.i just dont see it.if you sit there and look for it you might. i just sit back and enjoy it.oh yeah i just got a ps3 and it looks awsome on this tv
post #139 of 1965
I'm looking at the HL-T6156 61" at Sam's for $2186 w/stand. Can anyone tell me if this set is good or not? I can't find any threads on it and this is the closest one I could find.
post #140 of 1965
I'm sorry for my mistake samsung said my bowing could NOT be fixed and for me to return it.
post #141 of 1965
Quote:
Originally Posted by mranbel View Post

I'm sorry for my mistake samsung said my bowing could NOT be fixed and for me to return it.

I would definitely try and make them replace the screen otherwise you will return it and not get a Samsung. A new screen will 99% sure it will fix the problem. I've read other threads on bowing, and it has cured some of there problems, if all other adjustments were made and it didn't fix it.

I returned my 5076S last night. No exchange, just returned. I don't know what I am going to do. I'm still thinking of the LN-t4665F lcd samsung....but I still want the 5676S, JUST DON'T WANT IT WITH BOWING!.

My friend's friend owns an HD store and said he could get me the 5676S for $1000. I feel if it does have problems, it might be worth it to just fight Samsung to fix the problem by adjustments and replacing the screen....or maybe there is a slight chance there is no bowing on it.

What's everyone's feel on this. One of you guys needs to ORDER SAMSUNG to replace your screen. ASAP. Then we will really know if there is no fix for this. PLEASE SOMEONE DO SO
post #142 of 1965
Quote:
Originally Posted by oceanguy View Post

I know this may be obvious question, but is it HDMI 1.3?

I assume it is; at least that's what was thought in the Samsung DLP CES thread. However, the thread starter didn't mention it in his 1st post. : \\
post #143 of 1965
Quote:
Originally Posted by beowulf7 View Post

I assume it is; at least that's what was thought in the Samsung DLP CES thread. However, the thread starter didn't mention it in his 1st post. : \\

I think only the LED 89S's are 1.3
post #144 of 1965
Well my 5676S showed up today definitely obvious bowing when using the settings menus. Should I just go straight to samsung support or the retailer (Buy( that sold me the tv to begin with?

Also I can't seem to find the post where someone shared their starting picture settings for tweaking everything.

Thanks
post #145 of 1965
Quote:
Originally Posted by inthepit View Post

Well my 5676S showed up today definitely obvious bowing when using the settings menus. Should I just go straight to samsung support or the retailer (Buy( that sold me the tv to begin with?

Also I can't seem to find the post where someone shared their starting picture settings for tweaking everything.

Thanks

Yah, definitely call Samsung now and tell them to come out with a new screen to replace your bowed old one. If they refuse then tell them to bring it in case the other things the tech will try won't work.....b/c it won't! I truly believe replacing the screen will cure it.

Contrast: 60
Sharpness: 0
Color:65
Tint: 55 45
Movie Mode
post #146 of 1965
Had to sign up just to get info as well. Does anyone know if there is a service menu that you can get into with this TV? I know on my 32" slimfit using 'mute 1 8 2 power on' I was able to get rid of most of the bowing i had and some of the pin issues. If there is a way to do it in the service menu then everyone's problems could be solved.
post #147 of 1965
The service menu is accessible via the same "mute 1 8 2 Power On" sequence. I do not have the HL-Txx76, but I tested the sequence in the local Best Buy a couple of weeks ago.

Which parameters in the service menu of the "32 in Slimfit" did you adjust to impact "bowing" and "pin issues."

Thanks.
post #148 of 1965
Slimfit is probably a CRT.

CRTs actually have a pincushion adjustment.

DLPs don't.

It took me hours to get my Philips CRT to display decent geometry, but at least it could be done.
post #149 of 1965
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muffdiever View Post

I would definitely try and make them replace the screen otherwise you will return it and not get a Samsung. A new screen will 99% sure it will fix the problem. I've read other threads on bowing, and it has cured some of there problems, if all other adjustments were made and it didn't fix it.

I returned my 5076S last night. No exchange, just returned. I don't know what I am going to do. I'm still thinking of the LN-t4665F lcd samsung....but I still want the 5676S, JUST DON'T WANT IT WITH BOWING!.

My friend's friend owns an HD store and said he could get me the 5676S for $1000. I feel if it does have problems, it might be worth it to just fight Samsung to fix the problem by adjustments and replacing the screen....or maybe there is a slight chance there is no bowing on it.

What's everyone's feel on this. One of you guys needs to ORDER SAMSUNG to replace your screen. ASAP. Then we will really know if there is no fix for this. PLEASE SOMEONE DO SO

You can get the set for 1000.00?

Get it!!!

That is a no brainer even with the bowing man.
post #150 of 1965
Quote:
Originally Posted by K2QB3 View Post

Slimfit is probably a CRT.

Should have guessed that since I have never heard of these adjustments being available in a dlp unit.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Rear Projection Units
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › Rear Projection Units › 2007 Samsung HL-Txx76 Owner's Thread