or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › Rear Projection Units › 2007 Samsung HL-Txx76 Owner's Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

2007 Samsung HL-Txx76 Owner's Thread - Page 8

post #211 of 1965
Quote:
Originally Posted by gyasih View Post

is 1.3 confirmed on 6176?

yes it was confirmed earlier by beowulf7 through the owners manual.
post #212 of 1965
Quote:
Originally Posted by OniMirage View Post

yes it was confirmed earlier by beowulf7 through the owners manual.

Just got off the phone with customer service, the gentleman said the only series with 1.3 are all of the 89's and the new 72" 88.
post #213 of 1965
Quote:
Originally Posted by gyasih View Post

Just got off the phone with customer service, the gentleman said the only series with 1.3 are all of the 89's and the new 72" 88.

samsung customer service? damnit so the intenet doesn't know retailers have no clue the owners manual is wrong ... I give up. HDMI 1.3 was released last year I don't see how the hell companies claiming to release quality product could make such a claim without releasing new technology with newer models. I will plug in my ps3 when I get the tv and if I can run the trueHD audio and can run rgb full mode on the ps3 then I am fine.
post #214 of 1965
Quote:
Originally Posted by OniMirage View Post

samsung customer service? damnit so the intenet doesn't know retailers have no clue the owners manual is wrong ... I give up. HDMI 1.3 was released last year I don't see how the hell companies claiming to release quality product could make such a claim without releasing new technology with newer models. I will plug in my ps3 when I get the tv and if I can run the trueHD audio and can run rgb full mode on the ps3 then I am fine.


This bummed me out too, thought i had 1.3 for a steal!
post #215 of 1965
Quote:
Originally Posted by gyasih View Post

is 1.3 confirmed on 6176?


did you see my post earlier?

It is 1.3
post #216 of 1965
Quote:
Originally Posted by gyasih View Post

This bummed me out too, thought i had 1.3 for a steal!


Owner's manual is not wrong the customer service reps do not know crap about this technology.
post #217 of 1965
Well I am getting the tv based on the display I have seen 1.2 or 1.3 aside. I wanna put faith in those that have said it is 1.3 so I will continue to believe.
post #218 of 1965
Quote:
Originally Posted by nrc2112 View Post

Owner's manual is not wrong the customer service reps do not know crap about this technology.

Is there a test someone can run on a TV to confirm HDMI 1.3 or not? One thing I can think of is to check for "Deep Color". The only problem is no such material exists yet!
post #219 of 1965
Quote:
Originally Posted by beowulf7 View Post

Is there a test someone can run on a TV to confirm HDMI 1.3 or not? One thing I can think of is to check for "Deep Color". The only problem is no such material exists yet!

You just put your finger on it. That's why HDMI 1.3 isn't significant.
post #220 of 1965
Try hooking up a 480i source via HDMI 1.1 and it will work - with HDMI 1.3 it will not it only supports 480p and up. This is just one of the ways to test it out. If you have say Direct TV and you go into the setup for the set top box, set it to output 480i and change the channel to a sd channel - you will get an error on the set that states format not supported. This happens with HDMI 1.3 and not 1.1

Set is HDMI 1.3

If I tell you a mosquito can pull a wagon, you just hitch it!
post #221 of 1965
Quote:
Originally Posted by nrc2112 View Post

Try hooking up a 480i source via HDMI 1.1 and it will work - with HDMI 1.3 it will not it only supports 480p and up. This is just one of the ways to test it out. If you have say Direct TV and you go into the setup for the set top box, set it to output 480i and change the channel to a sd channel - you will get an error on the set that states format not supported. This happens with HDMI 1.3 and not 1.1

IMHO (which means I'm no expert), this test will not distinguish HDMI 1.1 from HDMI 1.3. HDMI 1.1 and HDMI 1.3 both have a lower bandwidth rate of 25 MHz. A 480i NTSC signal has a bandwidth of 13.5 MHz which is nominally below the minimum for transmission via HDMI. However, this limitation is circumvented with HDMI by using a "pixel-repetition" scheme, where in each pixel is essentially sent twice during the data send interval. Both 1.1 and 1.3 are capable of using the pixel repetition scheme for 480i NTSC signals. A problem exists in that all manufacturers do not enable their devices to either send or recognize the pixel repetition scheme over HDMI. Thus, in this case, when you see the "format not supported" message it is typically due to limitations in either the source device or the display and not a limitation of HDMI.
post #222 of 1965
Maybe this will clarify if the set is hdmi 1.3. From the manual :
➢ The external devices that support lower versioned HDMI mode may not implement sound output for the TV with the latest HDMI
version (HDMI 1.3).
In this case, connect to HDMI3/DVI IN and DVI IN [R-AUDIO-L] on the side panel of the TV.
➢ Part of lower versioned HDMI cables may cause annoying flickers or no screen display.
In this case use the cable that supports the latest HDMI version (HDMI 1.3).

I'm no expert, but the first line sound like if your output device is not HDMI 1.3 and it is not outputting sound, then use the third hdmi connection. The second line states to use a HDMI 1.3 cable if your current device is a lower than HDMI 1.3 and experiencing issues. One would assume that they would not tell you to use a HDMI 1.3 cable if the unit did not support it.

Also, I have a slight bowing issue. Anyone have a tech come out and fix it yet?
LL
post #223 of 1965
Quote:
Originally Posted by donb1948 View Post

Thus, in this case, when you see the "format not supported" message it is typically due to limitations in either the source device or the display and not a limitation of HDMI.

Exactly.

Our 2004 HL-P5063 doesn't support 480i via HDMI.
post #224 of 1965
Quote:
Originally Posted by skidazzle98 View Post

Maybe this will clarify if the set is hdmi 1.3. From the manual :
➢ The external devices that support lower versioned HDMI mode may not implement sound output for the TV with the latest HDMI
version (HDMI 1.3).
In this case, connect to HDMI3/DVI IN and DVI IN [R-AUDIO-L] on the side panel of the TV.
➢ Part of lower versioned HDMI cables may cause annoying flickers or no screen display.
In this case use the cable that supports the latest HDMI version (HDMI 1.3).

I doubt this would help. The problem with the first statement is the "may not support" phrase. (I assume the manual writer actually intended "might" instead of "may.") This indicates that some will and some will not experience a problem. Thus, this can not serve as a definitive test. Also, there are zillions of folks out there who can not get sound to the TV via HDMI 1.1 for what seems like a zillion reasons but mostly due to faulty handshakes and DRM issues.

The fact that a system starts to work when a "certified" HDMI 1.3 cable is substituted for a non-certified cable would also not be definitive for proclaiming an HDMI 1.3 port. It could just mean that the first cable was bad. You could design a set of experiements using certfied and non-certified cables, a known 1.1 port and a known 1.3 port that would increase the certainty with which one could proclaim that an unknown port was 1.3, but with differences between manufacturer implementations of the HDMI standard, I doubt the test would ever be definitive. BTW, though I can not point you to them now, I have seen postings whose authors have claimed that there are not differences in the standards and functioning of HDMI 1.1 vs HDMI 1.3 cables. FWIW.
post #225 of 1965
Quote:
Originally Posted by donb1948 View Post

IMHO (which means I'm no expert), this test will not distinguish HDMI 1.1 from HDMI 1.3. HDMI 1.1 and HDMI 1.3 both have a lower bandwidth rate of 25 MHz. A 480i NTSC signal has a bandwidth of 13.5 MHz which is nominally below the minimum for transmission via HDMI. However, this limitation is circumvented with HDMI by using a "pixel-repetition" scheme, where in each pixel is essentially sent twice during the data send interval. Both 1.1 and 1.3 are capable of using the pixel repetition scheme for 480i NTSC signals. A problem exists in that all manufacturers do not enable their devices to either send or recognize the pixel repetition scheme over HDMI. Thus, in this case, when you see the "format not supported" message it is typically due to limitations in either the source device or the display and not a limitation of HDMI.


I had the previous Sammy model from last year and it did suport 480i. This years model does not.
post #226 of 1965
Quote:
Originally Posted by nrc2112 View Post

Try hooking up a 480i source via HDMI 1.1 and it will work - with HDMI 1.3 it will not it only supports 480p and up. This is just one of the ways to test it out. If you have say Direct TV and you go into the setup for the set top box, set it to output 480i and change the channel to a sd channel - you will get an error on the set that states format not supported. This happens with HDMI 1.3 and not 1.1

Not meaning to beat a dead horse, but.... This is from the spec sheet for the HL-T5689:

Connections
3 HDMI inputs (High Definition Multimedia Interface) version 1.3 with CEC with
480i/480p/720i/1080p/1080i input support


Note that the HDMI ports are specified as HDMI 1.3 and support 480i.
post #227 of 1965
confusion
post #228 of 1965
Quote:
Originally Posted by donb1948 View Post

Not meaning to beat a dead horse, but.... This is from the spec sheet for the HL-T5689:

Connections
3 HDMI inputs (High Definition Multimedia Interface) version 1.3 with CEC with
480i/480p/720i/1080p/1080i input support


Note that the HDMI ports are specified as HDMI 1.3 and support 480i.

Has anyone got a 480i signal to work ?
post #229 of 1965
#1. We don't know how long this LED Light lasts. I worked with LED's for a Light Safety company for many years. An LED is suppose to last 20,000 hours. But there are some things that need to occur for that to happen. 20,000 hours is an approximate time that is tested by keeping 1 single LED powered, without shutting it off, and at a constant appropriate amperage. Shutting the TV on and off, and the construction of the cluster of LED's, along with the amperage will drastically change that amount. I've had customers send LED products back, burnt out after a couple of months. Most life-time warranty send backs were at around 1 1/2 years.

We do not know how easily these can or can not be replaced. Also what is the cost, and can you replace them yourself? These are big time concerns.


I just talked to pre-sales techie tonight at Amazon.com. I was talking about the Samsung HL-Txx87S with him. They had just completed training from Samsung last week. They were told that the average life on the LED array was 30,000 hours. BUT, they were also told that it COULD NOT be changed out by consumers! Now, I'm assuming that an LED array is going to cost way more than a replacement lamp, and when you add a service call, it could get very expensive. Sounds worse than the old fear of plasma burn in to me. I'm thinking seriously of going with the Sony KDS-60A2020. Sam's has the Samsung HL-T6156W, but it couldn't compare, side by side, to the 55" Sony SXRD sitting next to it, IMHO.

Steve
post #230 of 1965
Quote:
Originally Posted by nrc2112 View Post

Has anyone got a 480i signal to work ?

nrc2112... I got caught up in the discussion and did not check the obvious. This is from the spec sheet for the HL-T6176 on the Samsung web site:

Connections
3 HDMI inputs (High Definition Multimedia Interface) with 480p/720i/720p/1080i/1080p input support


Note 480i is not listed.

This would not be the first time Samsung has taken a step backward between model years.

Edit: What the heck is 720i?
post #231 of 1965
720I is the interlaced version of 1280x720 where it uses 2 scans of 1280x360 to produce the 1280x720 picture without using the bandwidth requirements of 720p. The resolution would be the same but the progressive version would be smoother especially when dealing with fast moving sequences.
post #232 of 1965
Quote:
Originally Posted by donb1948 View Post

Not meaning to beat a dead horse, but.... This is from the spec sheet for the HL-T5689:

Connections
3 HDMI inputs (High Definition Multimedia Interface) version 1.3 with CEC with
480i/480p/720i/1080p/1080i input support


Note that the HDMI ports are specified as HDMI 1.3 and support 480i.

That's great, but how does that help the HL-TXX76S TVs? Unless you're assuming that if the 76S doesn't say that part that the 89S does, then one can assume the 76S is not HDMI 1.3 compliant.
post #233 of 1965
Quote:
Originally Posted by skidazzle98 View Post

Maybe this will clarify if the set is hdmi 1.3. From the manual :
➢ The external devices that support lower versioned HDMI mode may not implement sound output for the TV with the latest HDMI
version (HDMI 1.3).
In this case, connect to HDMI3/DVI IN and DVI IN [R-AUDIO-L] on the side panel of the TV.
➢ Part of lower versioned HDMI cables may cause annoying flickers or no screen display.
In this case use the cable that supports the latest HDMI version (HDMI 1.3).

I'm no expert, but the first line sound like if your output device is not HDMI 1.3 and it is not outputting sound, then use the third hdmi connection. The second line states to use a HDMI 1.3 cable if your current device is a lower than HDMI 1.3 and experiencing issues. One would assume that they would not tell you to use a HDMI 1.3 cable if the unit did not support it.

Also, I have a slight bowing issue. Anyone have a tech come out and fix it yet?

My V02 manual for the 5676S does not use HDMI V1.3 in this writeup so I would suspect its a typo.
post #234 of 1965
Quote:
Originally Posted by beowulf7 View Post

That's great, but how does that help the HL-TXX76S TVs? Unless you're assuming that if the 76S doesn't say that part that the 89S does, then one can assume the 76S is not HDMI 1.3 compliant.

The only reason for posting this was to show that Samsung indicates that an HDMI 1.3 port can take a 480i signal. This part of the thread got started because of a statement that you could distinguish between HDMI 1.1 and 1.3 by the "fact" that 1.1 accepted 480i and 1.3 did not.
post #235 of 1965
Quote:
Originally Posted by skidazzle98 View Post

Maybe this will clarify if the set is hdmi 1.3. From the manual :
➢ The external devices that support lower versioned HDMI mode may not implement sound output for the TV with the latest HDMI
version (HDMI 1.3).
In this case, connect to HDMI3/DVI IN and DVI IN [R-AUDIO-L] on the side panel of the TV.
➢ Part of lower versioned HDMI cables may cause annoying flickers or no screen display.
In this case use the cable that supports the latest HDMI version (HDMI 1.3).

As 'ccouper' said in his post, all of the above is on page 14 in the online manual but is NOT present in the printed manual supplied with the HLTxx76S sets. I suspect Samsung corrected the sound problem in software but is not willing to provide 1.3.
post #236 of 1965
I just received my HLT-5676s as a replacement for a S-5687W with pincushioning. This one doesn't have pincushion, but it does have the smiley-face that I've read about here. Also, when I first got the tv, the screen was pretty significantly tilted from the left to the right (>1/4" difference between the left and the middle). However, after moving the tv around a bit, the tilt has diminished somewhat.

Unfortunately, the "smiley-face" issue where any lines across the screen turn up about 4" from the sides of the tv is very noticeable and pretty annoying. Does this effect also diminish with time? Or can it be fixed with the screw installation that Muffdiever was talking about? I'd like to know what I'm talking about before I speak with customer service.

Thanks,

td
post #237 of 1965
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdineen View Post

I just received my HLT-5676s as a replacement for a S-5687W with pincushioning. This one doesn't have pincushion, but it does have the smiley-face that I've read about here. Also, when I first got the tv, the screen was pretty significantly tilted from the left to the right (>1/4" difference between the left and the middle). However, after moving the tv around a bit, the tilt has diminished somewhat.

Unfortunately, the "smiley-face" issue where any lines across the screen turn up about 4" from the sides of the tv is very noticeable and pretty annoying. Does this effect also diminish with time? Or can it be fixed with the screw installation that Muffdiever was talking about? I'd like to know what I'm talking about before I speak with customer service.

Thanks,

td

I never heard about this smiley issue what exactly is it? Also has anyone tried the images I uploaded and are they of any help with seeing if bowing is present? I originaly made them simply to make sure my crt wasn't overscanning too much.
post #238 of 1965
OK the despite the very annoying problems we have heard so far (fix found or not) I would really like to if the PQ and brightness of the screen is noticeably better than the former hls5687w. I know you have not got a chance to calibrate or anything but ...first impressions?
post #239 of 1965
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdineen View Post

I just received my HLT-5676s as a replacement for a S-5687W with pincushioning. This one doesn't have pincushion, but it does have the smiley-face that I've read about here. Also, when I first got the tv, the screen was pretty significantly tilted from the left to the right (>1/4" difference between the left and the middle). However, after moving the tv around a bit, the tilt has diminished somewhat.

Unfortunately, the "smiley-face" issue where any lines across the screen turn up about 4" from the sides of the tv is very noticeable and pretty annoying. Does this effect also diminish with time? Or can it be fixed with the screw installation that Muffdiever was talking about? I'd like to know what I'm talking about before I speak with customer service.

Thanks,

td

Glad your'e on here with the problem. To everyone else, the bowing issue is the "Smiley issue".

Just to explain things a little better. Pincushion is where horizontal lines across the screen bend inwards toward the middle of the screen. Barreling is where the horizontal lines bend towards the tops and bottoms of the screen. People refer to both issues as bowing, and people refer to the smiley face issue as bowing and/or barreling. I know...confusing.

As for your quote above, yes it is annoying and at this time I have not purchased the TV again, but I will soon enough. I do not know if this effects the diminish time. What do you exactly mean by "diminish"?

The smiley face, according to tier 2 tech, can be resolved by the extra screw. When you call samsung ask for tier 2 right away b/c you have questions about the internals of the TV. Then explain to tier 2 about the problem you have with the bowing, barrel effect and smiley face, so they get the picture of what your talking about. Explain to them all the people who have had problems and make up a story that you have bought 2 of these tv's already that you've had to send back. This will ensure that they will try and fix it. He then will explain they do have a fix for it and they will hopefully send someone out that knows what they are doing. Please bring up the extra screw to them that you've heard about, and if they do not know what you are talking about get someone else on the phone.

Please let us know if they come and fix the issue. It will help me make the choice of getting it again, and will help others on the ropes as well.

Thanks
post #240 of 1965
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey Cusack View Post

OK the despite the very annoying problems we have heard so far (fix found or not) I would really like to if the PQ and brightness of the screen is noticeably better than the former hls5687w. I know you have not got a chance to calibrate or anything but ...first impressions?

I recently had my HLS-5687 replaced (due to color wheel noise) with a HL-T5676. The HLS-5687 had a far superior picture. It was amazing. I now regret exchanging it for the 5676. Sure it might have a failed color wheel$$$ in a couple of years or so, but the picture was tuned perfectly.

My HLT-5676 had numerous issues that the tech tried to sort out yesterday. 1. picture is very grainy...even at very low contrast settings. It doesn't look sharp at all. The tech slightly adjusted the 'index' setting in the service menu which didn't really help much. I guess the index setting phases the 3 colors together.
2. there's a grayish blob of about 2" diameter in the lower right corner that is only really visible with a black background. Tech tried to clean it from the inside with no success.
3. bowing from left to right at the bottom of the screen. Left is about 0.5" higher on the left. Tech didn't bother trying to fix it, since he's going to suggest that Samsung replace the unit.

On a happy note, a couple things to greatly improved the PQ.
In the service menu the gamma setting was changed from [4] OEM to [0]. I then reset the user menu contrast and brightness using the INHD channel tune-up. The PQ now looks almost 3D, though the picture is still grainy.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Rear Projection Units
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › Rear Projection Units › 2007 Samsung HL-Txx76 Owner's Thread