or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › Rear Projection Units › 2007 Samsung HL-Txx76 Owner's Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

2007 Samsung HL-Txx76 Owner's Thread - Page 13

post #361 of 1965
Quote:
Originally Posted by alwilli View Post

Have not tried to cal using CCA yet. Only user menu.

Started with Eliab's recommendations for the LEDs and tweaked with Getgray and DVE

Movie mode
Contrast 70
brightness 45
color 45
tint 50-50
DNR off dynamic contrast, bright off
gamma 0
all other settings off or neutral

I used my I1pro spectro w/Calman and HCFR to determine detailed setting user White balance of -4 is closest to D65 with pretty flat grayscale (HCFR Delta E of 2-5), Gamma a little high at 2.78 average. I have not measured the other user gamma settings yet. CIE with sRGB option primaries are close except green, secondaries off quite a bit, I turned service menu gamma to 0, Played with sharpness in the esp menu a little but found sharp filter off too soft. Hope this helps.

Alvin


please give us you complete settings to include gamma and white balance and black levels - basically every setting
post #362 of 1965
mine is a 6176S with a slight bowing
post #363 of 1965
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1jeffcat View Post

So is the light being projected through the chip and then hitting a larger mirror to bring it up onto a screen?

The light is reflected off of the chip, and then the image being created by the chip is pasted through a series of mirrors to enlarge it enough to fill the screen.

The last and largest mirror is the one that seems to be adjustable. In the past with thicker cases that mirror was flat. Now it seems to be concave which makes everything more complicated.

If anything, the larger the screen, the more difficult it should be to get a "good" image to the screen from such a short distance. Of course the case gets slightly deeper as the screen size increases.
post #364 of 1965
Got the 61" last week and I have no noticeable bowing. As far as grainy blacks, I'm guessing it has to do with the source material. I played the Original Godzilla (Gojira) in B&W upscaled to 1080P over HDMI and got nothing but pure black (and the associated scratches off of the print)

Anyway, The TV is an absolute joy... my first Big screen and HD. I'm also a fan of the on/off chime. It kind of reminds me of the coin sound that was made in Super Mario Brothers.
post #365 of 1965
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaos Dwarf View Post

Got the 61" last week and I have no noticeable bowing. As far as grainy blacks, I'm guessing it has to do with the source material. I played the Original Godzilla (Gojira) in B&W upscaled to 1080P over HDMI and got nothing but pure black (and the associated scratches off of the print)

Anyway, The TV is an absolute joy... my first Big screen and HD. I'm also a fan of the on/off chime. It kind of reminds me of the coin sound that was made in Super Mario Brothers.

That's exactly what it sounds like. I have expect to see a little mario jumping up and hitting a block on the screen.
post #366 of 1965
Hey guys I was wondering.....say all does not go well with this latest DLP model.

Is there any other type of tv that looks JUST AS GOOD or BETTER than the samsung DLPs?
post #367 of 1965
I purchased my HL-T5076S about a month ago and, while I noticed some "bending" as my wife calls it, I didn't think TOO hard about it as I had to still paint and complete the basement and became otherwise preoccupied. Now, exactly 30 days later, we're loading it back into the truck and once I get home from work, driving over to CC to basically tell them, "thanks, but not thanks". Why? Well, I had a technician come out after calling Samsung last week. He looked at it and said that while he couldn't fix the bowing problem, he could call another engineer out to "dig deeper" and see if they couldn't fix it. By "dig deeper" I believe he meant repositioning the mirrors. And then, in a wink-wink-nudge-nudge motion, basically said "if I were you, I'd return this and get yourself an 89".

So, there ya have it. I just can't believe Samsung would put customers through so much drama over this stupid bowing problem. Didn't they QC this stuff? Otherwise, we absolutely love the set, but c'mon, this thing cost me good money, and I can't sit through watching letterbox stuff and say "gee, what a great picture EXCEPT for that weird bending! It totally makes the $2000 ALMOST worth it!" and not feel bad.

just my .02 cents.
post #368 of 1965
The 89's do this too - it is an effect of the thinner RPTV's

Sorry
post #369 of 1965
so check it out the issue has to be with the the mirror or with the screen. Either way it is something that can be fixed either by replacing the mirror or the screen. when I pushed on my screen from the front it bent the picture but the lines were straight so in theory if the screen is warped get a new screen. if the screen is fine get a new mirror but a tech would have to determine which is causing the error. I think this is a shipping/handling issue
post #370 of 1965
Quote:
Originally Posted by nrc2112 View Post

please give us you complete settings to include gamma and white balance and black levels - basically every setting

Those are all of the final settings that I gave. Everything else in the picture menu is 0 (including gamma), normal, off, etc. Only white balance is -4. Please keep in mind this is for my set, HDMI, OPPO 970 (1080i). YMMV

Alvin
post #371 of 1965
Quote:
Originally Posted by torrentmonkey View Post


So, there ya have it. I just can't believe Samsung would put customers through so much drama over this stupid bowing problem. Didn't they QC this stuff? Otherwise, we absolutely love the set, but c'mon, this thing cost me good money, and I can't sit through watching letterbox stuff and say "gee, what a great picture EXCEPT for that weird bending! It totally makes the $2000 ALMOST worth it!" and not feel bad.

just my .02 cents.

$2000? I got the 5676S for $1799. Bring that back and make up some of the aggravation by getting the 56" for 2 hundred cheaper. #1 you will have a bigger TV, #2 It might not have the problem. CC is the place to haggle.
post #372 of 1965
Quote:
Originally Posted by OniMirage View Post

so check it out the issue has to be with the the mirror or with the screen. Either way it is something that can be fixed either by replacing the mirror or the screen. when I pushed on my screen from the front it bent the picture but the lines were straight so in theory if the screen is warped get a new screen. if the screen is fine get a new mirror but a tech would have to determine which is causing the error. I think this is a shipping/handling issue

I just ended up screwing with the mirror adjustments. What those screws on the upper back of the TV do is 1 loosens the mirror, while the other flathead screw adjusts. The adjustment basically adjusts the bottom 1.2 of the screens horizontal lines. It wither moves them up, or moves them down. It does not take any curl or bow out of the line. This will only help if your menu bar is higher on one side than it is on the other. But remember that could also be a screen problem.

If you go to the service menu (Mute 1-8-2 then power) then select the second option, and then scroll down to "test pattern", you can bring up the grid lines by pressing to the right. This will help you adjsut a bit.
post #373 of 1965
i still think they should allow full geometry controls in the service menu like old computer crts used to do
post #374 of 1965
Quote:
Originally Posted by OniMirage View Post

i still think they should allow full geometry controls in the service menu like old computer crts used to do

Unfortunately your TV doesn't use an electron beam, and magnets to create an image on a phosphor coated cathode ray tube.
post #375 of 1965
Quote:
Originally Posted by htwaits View Post

The last and largest mirror is the one that seems to be adjustable. In the past with thicker cases that mirror was flat. Now it seems to be concave which makes everything more complicated.

The top mirror is 1/3 the size and is actually flat and replaces the back mirror on other DLP models. There is however, a wicked complex curved small mirror at the exit of the light engine that reflects the image toward the top mirror.
post #376 of 1965
Quote:
Originally Posted by shinka View Post

The top mirror is 1/3 the size and is actually flat and replaces the back mirror on other DLP models. There is however, a wicked complex curved small mirror at the exit of the light engine that reflects the image toward the top mirror.

Is it safe to assume that this "wicked curved" mirror is the one causing the most trouble.

I too adjusted the slotted screws in the top rear of my case after loosening the four philips screws holding the mirror in place. While it felt good thinking that I might adjust the geometry issue myself, it turns out I did pretty much nothing.
post #377 of 1965
Quote:
Originally Posted by shinka View Post

The top mirror is 1/3 the size and is actually flat and replaces the back mirror on other DLP models. There is however, a wicked complex curved small mirror at the exit of the light engine that reflects the image toward the top mirror.

Thanks for the details. I knew there might be a curve in there somewhere. Where are lasers when you need them?
post #378 of 1965
Quote:
Originally Posted by smileynev01 View Post

Is it safe to assume that this "wicked curved" mirror is the one causing the most trouble.

No, the trouble is caused by the screen bulging outwards in the center.
post #379 of 1965
Quote:
Originally Posted by smileynev01 View Post

Is it safe to assume that this "wicked curved" mirror is the one causing the most trouble.

I too adjusted the slotted screws in the top rear of my case after loosening the four philips screws holding the mirror in place. While it felt good thinking that I might adjust the geometry issue myself, it turns out I did pretty much nothing.

Where are these 4 philips screws? There is 1 in the upper left on the back of the TV, and 1 on the upper right on the back of the TV. Each 1 of these has it's own Cam screw. Where are the other 2?
post #380 of 1965
Quote:


$2000? I got the 5676S for $1799. Bring that back and make up some of the aggravation by getting the 56" for 2 hundred cheaper. #1 you will have a bigger TV, #2 It might not have the problem. CC is the place to haggle.

well, don't forget the sales tax I also had to pay.

Anyway, so went back to CC last night on what was exactly the 30th day so as to be eligible for a complete refund/exchange.

The manager at CC was super helpful and insisted that we perhaps look around should we see something else that we like. Thanks to these forums as well as two cousins who own Sony's, I was able to, with little hesitation, go straight for a new KDS55A2020 HD SXRD.

My wife and I are MUCH happier with this set than with our previous HL-T5076S. HD channels "fill" the screen much better than the 76 and has a better vibrance that the previous set. And this with factory settings!

I feel bad about having had to do what I did, given all the current owners of the Sammy '76, and I do hope the bowing stuff gets sorted out, but with my in-laws coming to live with us for a few months soon, I had to make haste and needed to go with what works - and works WELL I might had!

Hope this helps!
post #381 of 1965
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muffdiever View Post

Where are these 4 philips screws? There is 1 in the upper left on the back of the TV, and 1 on the upper right on the back of the TV. Each 1 of these has it's own Cam screw. Where are the other 2?

There are 4 black screws on an aluminum bar across the top of the back. Loosen all four about one turn and then turn each larger cam screw while watching the lower corner of the screen.
post #382 of 1965
Quote:
Originally Posted by torrentmonkey View Post

well, don't forget the sales tax I also had to pay.

Anyway, so went back to CC last night on what was exactly the 30th day so as to be eligible for a complete refund/exchange.

The manager at CC was super helpful and insisted that we perhaps look around should we see something else that we like. Thanks to these forums as well as two cousins who own Sony's, I was able to, with little hesitation, go straight for a new KDS55A2020 HD SXRD.

My wife and I are MUCH happier with this set than with our previous HL-T5076S. HD channels "fill" the screen much better than the 76 and has a better vibrance that the previous set. And this with factory settings!

I feel bad about having had to do what I did, given all the current owners of the Sammy '76, and I do hope the bowing stuff gets sorted out, but with my in-laws coming to live with us for a few months soon, I had to make haste and needed to go with what works - and works WELL I might had!

Hope this helps!

BOOO!..but you got to do what you got to do. I defintely don't think the Sony looks better than the Hl-t after looknig at both. The Hl-T's colors just "pop" a lot better. But to each his own. Hope you enjoy
post #383 of 1965
Quote:
Originally Posted by shinka View Post

There are 4 black screws on an aluminum bar across the top of the back. Loosen all four about one turn and then turn each larger cam screw while watching the lower corner of the screen.

You have the 61, 56, or 50? My 56 has little slots at the top of the back. Inside the slots you see an aluminum bar. There are only 2 slots totalling 4 screws. Unless we have to take the back panel off to see the other screws, I don't see them. Do you have a pic?
post #384 of 1965
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muffdiever View Post

BOOO!..but you got to do what you got to do. I defintely don't think the Sony looks better than the Hl-t after looknig at both. The Hl-T's colors just "pop" a lot better. But to each his own. Hope you enjoy

I thought the same thing when i compared the sony and the sammy. The hl-t was much better. They had them side by side and the guy even plugged in the same source for me. The sammy was way better (IMO)

one thing to keep in mind in the stores is the sources. the Sony demo disk was simply awesome. The Sammy demo was not so good. I told the guy I wanted a Blue ray player with the same disk in for both TV. Once we did that, the sony was not even close to the Sammy.
post #385 of 1965
Quote:
Originally Posted by alwilli View Post

Those are all of the final settings that I gave. Everything else in the picture menu is 0 (including gamma), normal, off, etc. Only white balance is -4. Please keep in mind this is for my set, HDMI, OPPO 970 (1080i). YMMV

Alvin

Thanks
post #386 of 1965
are you signaling srgb or normal?
post #387 of 1965
Quote:
Originally Posted by nrc2112 View Post

are you signaling srgb or normal?

sRGB. I have not measured normal yet. But the sRGB primaries are pretty close to REC. 709 (HD).
post #388 of 1965
Thanks!
post #389 of 1965
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muffdiever View Post

You have the 61, 56, or 50? My 56 has little slots at the top of the back. Inside the slots you see an aluminum bar. There are only 2 slots totalling 4 screws. Unless we have to take the back panel off to see the other screws, I don't see them. Do you have a pic?

I have a 56", there's two more screws about 8 inches toward the center from the outer screw & cam pairs. Total of 4 phillips screws and 2 slotted cam bolts.
post #390 of 1965
Quote:
Originally Posted by Breathing Borla View Post

I thought the same thing when i compared the sony and the sammy. The hl-t was much better. They had them side by side and the guy even plugged in the same source for me. The sammy was way better (IMO)

one thing to keep in mind in the stores is the sources. the Sony demo disk was simply awesome. The Sammy demo was not so good. I told the guy I wanted a Blue ray player with the same disk in for both TV. Once we did that, the sony was not even close to the Sammy.

I compared both with the same source at a local BB and IMHO both were neck and neck. CNET seemed to agree at least with last years model where Samsung got a 7.6 and Sony had an 8.0. IMHO Sony seemed to beat Samsung out in SD picture quality HD picture quality seems even. At least the Sony does not have the major bowing issues the Samsung has started to experience, plus no rainbow effect, no fake 1080P aka wobulation to name just a few perks the Sony has over the Samsung. I was all set to buy a Samsung but the facts are they have droped the ball bigtime with the thinner cases. No sense in have a great although warped picture. I went with Sony myself due to these reasons TV should arrive SAT.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Rear Projection Units
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › Rear Projection Units › 2007 Samsung HL-Txx76 Owner's Thread