or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Speakers › Swan Owner's Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Swan Owner's Thread - Page 117

post #3481 of 3884
Quote:
Originally Posted by sharkane View Post

Hi everyone.
I am planning on purchasing the Swan 6.2F fronts, 5.2c center, and 4.2r rears for use as highs and wides when I buy the new Pioneer SC-LX85 amp next month. My question/concern is that the Pioneer amp boasts 190 watts ICE power per channel but the Swan rears are rated at 10-80 watts power handling and the center is rated 10-100 watts.
As a relatively AV ignorant person can anyone comment as to whether there is a concern regarding the power of the amp being too much for the speakers and blowing them. There is no problem with the 6.2 fronts as they are rated to 200 watts.
I'm assuming there is no problem as the demo Onkyo amp most probably would have been rated higher than 80 watts per channel and those rear speakers were kicking Michael Bay's Armageddon rear!
But would like to have some confirmation opinions before I buy them and have to downgrade my amp choice.
Any help much appreciated.
Kane

When it comes to receivers they always over rate themselfs, there true wattage output is more like 50%-75% of what they actually state without distorting. Notice that I said receivers, stand alone amplifiers will probably put out as advertised.

Keep in mind your speakers will let you know if you are underdriving by causing distortion/static. When they are being over driven you will here the mids bouce/flutter. Distortion will blow a speaker/clip a receiver while overdriving is not the greatest thing for a speaker but better than underdriving. Always find the "sweet" spot in any system and try to stay there......
post #3482 of 3884
I'd like some advice, as I have a unique chance to combine 2 diva swan speaker systems and 2 HSU subs into an unholy super system!

First, the bad news is that my wife has asked for a divorce after 16 years. She'll keep the house in Minneapolis, I'm disabled, and cannot live alone and there's not a chance i'm moving to assisted living. (I'm sure they would frown upon midnight subwoofer sessions!)

My best choice is to move back to my home in Minot, ND and live with my parents. Now to get to the main point. My wife has no desire for any of my theater equipment. I swear she'd be happy with a 20" tv and a tivo.
What I'll take from my theater is...

1. Sony vw60 SXRD 1080p projector
(all following speakers are rosewood)

2. Diva Swan 6.1's
3. C-3 center w/top mounted tweeter
4. Pair of R-3's
6. Single 2.1 for rear-center
6. HSU VTF3R sub.


My dad's ht was modeled on mine and is very similar.
(his are black cherry)
1. Diva 6.1's
2. C3 center w/ internal tweeter
3. Pair of diva 2.1's for rears
4. HSU VTF3 Mk1 (black) essentially the same as my 3r, only has a side firing driver.

So, is it wise to integrate this monster, and how should I?

One thought, definitely use both subs , especially matched ones. 6.1 mains, 6.1 surrounds, C3 center, C3 rear-center. Maybe the two R3's for high-front effect (DPL-IIz)
Then I'm not sure about the 3 remaining 2.1s.

I guess I'm looking for advice and ideas,
thanks...

BTW...I'm pretty much doing this to keep myself occupied, during the rough times ahead. Please know, it's all a distraction and I don't want to come across as falsely glib.
Thanks
post #3483 of 3884
EJ_How many channels are you looking to have in your setup? I.e. 5.1/5.2, 6.1/6.2, 7.1/7.2, 9.1/9.2, 11.1/11.2? How big is your room? What will be seating arrangements? What processor/receiver are you using? All of this and any more info you can provide will help in being able to provide you with suggestions.
post #3484 of 3884
Looking at getting the D1010MkII08 for computer speakers. Lockware has these for $20 less than the new D1010IV on audio insider. I doubt I would be able to tell a difference between the two. I had considered the D1080MkII08 as well, but they are just a bit large.

Regarding Lockware Systems, any reason they are not listed on Swans site as being an authorized dealer?

And who can recommend the D1010MkII08 as a great speaker for $150 shipped? Thanks.
post #3485 of 3884
Do the Swan Divas ever go on sale? I see on the AudioInsider that they are discounted, but they have been like that since I started looking a while ago. Are these the usual prices or should I hold out for a bigger discount? I'm thinking about the Diva 4.2's as mains and they are $900 shipped right now.
post #3486 of 3884
I am disabled, and will be moving in with my parents. One bright side to all this, is that my dad copied much of what I did on my theater. We have our HSU subs worked out, now its on to the Diva Swans., One bummer is mine's rosewood, he chose black cherry. We don't mind mixing, especially in a dark theater.

I'll post a list of the speakers we have and ask for setup options.

(2) Black Cherry 6.1's
(2) rosewood 6.1's
(1) Black Cherry C-3 center channel (integrated tweeter)
(1) Rosewood C-3 center channel w/top mounted tweeter
(1) Rosewood 2.1 (used as a rear center)
(2) Black Cherry 2.1's
(2) R-3 rosewood dipole surrounds

Any help in placement options would be appreciated. I'd like to put 3 6.1's across the front, but I think the fixed screen is to low. Then I thought of using R-3's as side surrounds and the 2 C-3's as rear surrounds for a 7.2 system.

It would be doable if I could raise the screen a few inches. Maybe use the spare 6.1 as the rear-center for a 6.2 system and sell the two C-3s.

Any help or ideas would be greatly appreciated!
post #3487 of 3884
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huck43 View Post

Looking at getting the D1010MkII08 for computer speakers. Lockware has these for $20 less than the new D1010IV on audio insider. I doubt I would be able to tell a difference between the two. I had considered the D1080MkII08 as well, but they are just a bit large.

Regarding Lockware Systems, any reason they are not listed on Swans site as being an authorized dealer?

And who can recommend the D1010MkII08 as a great speaker for $150 shipped? Thanks.

http://www.swanspeaker.com/dealers/dealers.aspx

- Look at USA
- Right under HIVI

--

As for recommendations, I would say when it comes to active desktop's, you can't go wrong with swan. I own the t200b's and have been impressed since day one. Haven't had first hand experience with the D1010, but I can definitely vouch for their multimedia line in general.
post #3488 of 3884
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vaison View Post

Do the Swan Divas ever go on sale? I see on the AudioInsider that they are discounted, but they have been like that since I started looking a while ago. Are these the usual prices or should I hold out for a bigger discount? I'm thinking about the Diva 4.2's as mains and they are $900 shipped right now.

I have the Diva 4.2's and am very satisfied. Check out this link:http://cgis.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/srch_fs.pl
post #3489 of 3884
I checked the Swans website today and discovered some new models in the ultimate line. They include a new line array the 2.8, a new tower the M806, and upgraded models of the F1.1F and F2.2F. They are the F1.1A and F2.2A respectively. The former models are still listed though it's my understaning that the F1.1F has been discontinued for awhile. There are no descriptions of the new models but there are some specs. The 2.8 has, unlike Swans other line arrays, a narrow face. I would think making it easier to fit into rooms. There are some descriptions on it in the HT section including a MSRP of $58k for the HT set. In the upgraded models it seems Swans has looked to address the midrange issues some have reported with these models. According to the site the F2.2A sports a 6.5" bass/midrange as opposed to the 5" midrange of the F2.2F. The F1.1A features a 6.5" bass/midrange, two soft dome mids, and two ribbon tweeters as opposed to the 6" mid, single soft dome tweeter, single ribbon tweeter of the F1.1F. I'd love to know how these new models sound compared to their predecessors. If these changes really correct the midrange issues these new models may well be world class speakers and unmatched world beaters in their categories. If Swans holds to their historically lower price points than the "big names".
post #3490 of 3884
Do any of the Swans sellers (CP, AI) have any more info on these new models?
post #3491 of 3884
On the website Swans shows another larger M model the M808. There's also a new Diva model the Diva 8.3. It apparently is the largest Diva model yet.

I also saw a couple of pics of another ultimate series speaker that Swans has come out with. I't's an in between model of the new F1.1A F2.2A models. It's a three piece modular sporting the same 5 driver array middle box of the F1.1A but sports two 10" woofers instead of the four in the F1.1A and is in a similarly styled cabinet of the F2.2A. That model really has piqued my interest.
post #3492 of 3884
Quote:
Originally Posted by mykyll2727 View Post

On the website Swans shows another larger M model the M808. There's also a new Diva model the Diva 8.3. It apparently is the largest Diva model yet.

I also saw a couple of pics of another ultimate series speaker that Swans has come out with. I't's an in between model of the new F1.1A F2.2A models. It's a three piece modular sporting the same 5 driver array middle box of the F1.1A but sports two 10" woofers instead of the four in the F1.1A and is in a similarly styled cabinet of the F2.2A. That model really has piqued my interest.

Could you post a link to the 8.3?
post #3493 of 3884
Here is the 8.3 http://www.swanspeaker.com/products/...sid=36&pid=296

The 2.8HT http://www.swanspeaker.com/products/...sid=37&pid=289


The F1.1AHT http://www.swanspeaker.com/products/...sid=37&pid=307


The F2.2AHT http://www.swanspeaker.com/products/...sid=37&pid=304


The new M models can be found from any of those pages by going to the products link. If the specs on the 8.3 are correct it weighs in at over 100lbs.


The other new ultimate line speaker( baby F1.1A model # unknown) is shown in Pics 1 and 3 it's postioned between the F1.1A and the F2.2A http://www.hivi.com/news_show.asp?news_id=513
post #3494 of 3884
I plan on attending CES this year and I'm hoping I'll be able to see and hear these new speakers. Checking out the Swans display will be foremost on my agenda.
post #3495 of 3884
Quote:
Originally Posted by mykyll2727 View Post

Do any of the Swans sellers (CP, AI) have any more info on these new models?

Concerning the Divas, whether the value will be there remains to be seen (in the new models) but we'll be fleshing out the Diva range early 2012. We've been told the 8.3 is not happening yet.
post #3496 of 3884
Quote:
Originally Posted by mykyll2727 View Post

There's also a new Diva model the Diva 8.3. It apparently is the largest Diva model yet.

The (prototypical) 8.3 is about 200mm shorter than the existing Diva 6.2...
post #3497 of 3884
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Lane View Post

The (prototypical) 8.3 is about 200mm shorter than the existing Diva 6.2...



Jon_Thanks for the response and info! I missed the height difference. All the other dimensions are larger and it's quite a bit heavier. It seems they're doing the same thing with the 8.3 that they've done with the M6005. I guess that's to generate consumer interest and having us chomping at the bit for it by the time they release it. That is if they actually ever release it.

Here's to hoping they hold to their historically low prices on their new lineup. When I saw the MSRP on the 2.8 I have my concerns. In this hobby, where so much is way overpriced and out of the reach of most, it's wonderful to have a company that makes such awesome products at rock bottom prices. If they choose to raise prices to fall in line with most of what's out there, they'll just become another typical maker of quality speakers. What a loss that would be for most of us, their "fans".

Do you know anything about the new ultimate line models and will you be attending CES?
post #3498 of 3884
Quote:
Originally Posted by mykyll2727 View Post

Here's to hoping they hold to their historically low prices on their new lineup. When I saw the MSRP on the 2.8 I have my concerns. In this hobby, where so much is way overpriced and out of the reach of most, it's wonderful to have a company that makes such awesome products at rock bottom prices. If they choose to raise prices to fall in line with most of what's out there, they'll just become another typical maker of quality speakers. What a loss that would be for most of us, their "fans".

It's worth noting that Diva began way back in January 2000 as an Internet-direct range, and that we also helped develop the X.2 series ID line a few years ago. Swan have the demonstrated ability to offer more expensive models through B&M dealers, but Diva has uniquely held the Swan ID ground for a decade.

When the new models prove out, we'll get involved.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mykyll2727 View Post

Do you know anything about the new ultimate line models?

Not specifically - not any more than the existing range of flagships - but a long time ago there was a joint project to supply long planars and TAI could play with models using arrays of small ones again. Skiing Ninja and TAI could (and probably should) do some work in these models to redefine what the premium home multiway linesource speaker can do. The genre has a long and colorful history.
post #3499 of 3884
.- but a long time ago there was a joint project to supply long planars and TAI could play with models using arrays of small ones again. Skiing Ninja and TAI could (and probably should) do some work in these models to redefine what the premium home multiway linesource speaker can do. The genre has a long and colorful history.[/quote]



I found some interesting information on Swans history with line arrays on their website including their first ones the Douchy 1s and 2s.
post #3500 of 3884
The system we had was just thrown together due to being to busy and not exactly knowing what we wanted. We did purchase a Panasonic TH-8512UK for the main display. Then Sharp had to go ahead and release the LC-80LE632U The time was yesterday to get this done. After 10 hours of install work, finally a clean set up. All Audio / Video gear was moved to a different area. A HDMI outlet was installed on lower part of wall for easy access.

Sharp LC-80LE632U
Swan 2.3B
Onkyo PR SC5508 PrePro
Red Dragon Class D 1000 watt mono blocks ( front mains )
Emotiva XPA 3 Class A/B 200 watt X 3 ( Center, rears )





post #3501 of 3884
Quote:
Originally Posted by mykyll2727 View Post

I found some interesting information on Swans history with line arrays on their website including their first ones the Douchy 1s and 2s.

The Swan Dulcet 1? That may be these, and yes, that is a 72" BG planar driver used as the midrange. I've used more of those than I care to count...

post #3502 of 3884
Jon_That is indeed one of the speakers discussed. I got the Douchy name from the translated page which obviously wasn't a very good translation.


Here it is http://www.hivi.com/knowledge_show.asp?know_id=304
post #3503 of 3884
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleveland Plasma View Post

The system we had was just thrown together due to being to busy and not exactly knowing what we wanted. We did purchase a Panasonic TH-8512UK for the main display. Then Sharp had to go ahead and release the LC-80LE632U The time was yesterday to get this done. After 10 hours of install work, finally a clean set up. All Audio / Video gear was moved to a different area. A HDMI outlet was installed on lower part of wall for easy access.

Sharp LC-80LE632U
Swan 2.3B
Onkyo PR SC5508 PrePro
Red Dragon Class D 1000 watt mono blocks ( front mains )
Emotiva XPA 3 Class A/B 200 watt X 3 ( Center, rears )









Awesome TV!!! 80" and what like only 4" deep. When I replace my 73" Mitsu I'll definitely be looking at something like that. Speaker upgrade is my #1 priority at this point though.

PS. I never realised those Red Dragons were quite that small.
post #3504 of 3884
very small and 12 pounds !!
post #3505 of 3884
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleveland Plasma View Post

very small and 12 pounds !!






Chris_Amazing how efficient those Class D Iceamps are. How do those awesome F2.3Bs sound driven by them? I would think the monos have to find them a very easy load given their 16ohm impedence._Michael
post #3506 of 3884
Quote:
Originally Posted by mykyll2727 View Post

Here is the 8.3 http://www.swanspeaker.com/products/...sid=36&pid=296

The 2.8HT http://www.swanspeaker.com/products/...sid=37&pid=289


The F1.1AHT http://www.swanspeaker.com/products/...sid=37&pid=307


The F2.2AHT http://www.swanspeaker.com/products/...sid=37&pid=304


The new M models can be found from any of those pages by going to the products link. If the specs on the 8.3 are correct it weighs in at over 100lbs.


The other new ultimate line speaker( baby F1.1A model # unknown) is shown in Pics 1 and 3 it's postioned between the F1.1A and the F2.2A http://www.hivi.com/news_show.asp?news_id=513

The 8.3s are a nice update to the Diva design. However, I think Swan really missed the boat with the use of the cheap-ass vinyl faced front baffle (that is what turned me off with the x2 series) I really wish they would not skimp on aesthetics.



Now I must say, I like the looks of the M808's. They look like some of the Flagship Ushers and Sonus Fabers, with the bent hardwood enclosures as well as the raked design. However, I am suprised Swan's decided to utilize a metal tweeter. They are using a semi-wave guide design.





What is rather interesting with these two speakers is they are using the exact same drivers, same x-over topology, and both use a vented enclosure. It also appears that there Hivi's top mounted dome tweeter has also received a design update as they have discarded the orignal fabric dome material in lieu of a metal dome.
post #3507 of 3884
Thinking of getting the Swan D1010 IV or should I go with the Swan D1080MkII08? Swans seem like great speakers for the cost.
post #3508 of 3884
Quote:
Originally Posted by mykyll2727 View Post

Chris_Amazing how efficient those Class D Iceamps are. How do those awesome F2.3Bs sound driven by them? I would think the monos have to find them a very easy load given their 16ohm impedence._Michael

Lets say that I hope you love LOUD, crystal clear music. It takes a while to get used to even if you "think" you like loud, crystal clear music. Here is a break down of the swan 2.5F by a pro >>> Click Here "Pulling out my trusty analog Radio Shack SPL meter with Family Force Five's "Ghostride the Whip" rocking through the speakers, I was amazed to find clean 121 dB C-weighted peaks; and if I didn't mind a bit of fuzziness in the bass, peaks of over 124 dB came through at the listening position." >>> Keep in mind this is in a open room and not a car of course !
post #3509 of 3884
Quote:
Originally Posted by sac8d4 View Post

The 8.3s are a nice update to the Diva design. However, I think Swan really missed the boat with the use of the cheap-ass vinyl faced front baffle (that is what turned me off with the x2 series) I really wish they would not skimp on aesthetics.



Now, I must say I like the looks of the M808's,look like some of the Flagship Ushers and Sonus Fabers, with the bent hardwood enclosures as well as the raked design. However, I am suprised Swan's decided to utilize a metal tweeter. They are using a semi-wave guide design.





What is rather interesting with these two speakers is they are using the exact same drivers, same x-over topology, and vented design. It also appears that there Hivi's top mounted dome tweeter has also gotten an update as they have discarded the orignal fabric dome material for a metal dome.





I too felt the M808/806 reminded me alot of some of the floorstanding Ushers. If the specs are right the 808 weighs in at 167lbs. That's about 25lbs more than the F2.2. AFA the drivers, even though the descriptions on the website are sparse to say the least, it seems that they've decided to use the same 6.5" "bass-midrange" driver in all of the new models. It appears to be the L6-4R and is in the Diva 8.3 all the way thru and into the 2.8. I find it interesting to find the same driver in a Diva model as well as in the mains of a $58k HT and everything in between. I'm assuming it must be one heck of a driver (if it is indeed the same driver) but I wonder how some buyers of the 2.8 would feel about it if it turns out to be the same unit given the big difference in price.
post #3510 of 3884
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleveland Plasma View Post

Lets say that I hope you love LOUD, crystal clear music. It takes a while to get used to even if you "think" you like loud, crystal clear music. Here is a break down of the swan 2.5F by a pro >>> Click Here "Pulling out my trusty analog Radio Shack SPL meter with Family Force Five's "Ghostride the Whip" rocking through the speakers, I was amazed to find clean 121 dB C-weighted peaks; and if I didn't mind a bit of fuzziness in the bass, peaks of over 124 dB came through at the listening position." >>> Keep in mind this is in a open room and not a car of course !



That's WAAAAAY louder than I'd be listening at!!! I want to keep my hearing for how ever many years I have left.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Speakers
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Speakers › Swan Owner's Thread