or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Video Components › DVD Recorders (Standard Def) › PANASONIC DMR-EH55 & Panasonic DMR-EH50
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

PANASONIC DMR-EH55 & Panasonic DMR-EH50

post #1 of 21
Thread Starter 
Is the main difference hard drive size?
post #2 of 21
NO, one has hdmi eh55s.
post #3 of 21
Thread Starter 
Thank you, mickinct.
post #4 of 21
The EH55 also has a newer version of the TVGOS.
post #5 of 21
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Breyean View Post

The EH55 also has a newer version of the TVGOS.

Interesting. Is it much of an improvement?
post #6 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by luckylisp View Post

Interesting. Is it much of an improvement?

Yes. It works with satellite and digital cable, and it's also better designed. It's also much easier to "rearrange" the channels (which was a big "bugaboo" of the older generations).

It should also be upgradable when TVGOS starts sending the signal over a digital OTA and cable channel, which they're in the process of putting into place right now (over a "CBS" channel).

No new units being released have it (like the new Philips model), but the Panny EH75, which is still fairly available, does. Last year's Panny plasmas also had it, and I think Toshiba's last DVR's did, too. Except that it didn't work with satellite in the Toshiba.

(There were probably some other displays that had it , too, but I'm not real up on that.)
post #7 of 21
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rammitinski View Post


It should also be upgradable when TVGOS starts sending the signal over a digital OTA and cable channel, which they're in the process of putting into place right now (over a "CBS" channel).

Very nice improvement, thanks for the info Rammitinski. Do you know if the TVGOS still work on older units (I have an E85 and an EH50) when this change takes place? I'm using mine with cable right now.
post #8 of 21
Not with OTA. It'll still probably work with any level of analog cable, as long as they keep that around.

Owners are hoping that maybe someone will come out with some kind of an add-on d/a "converter box".
post #9 of 21
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rammitinski View Post

Not with OTA. It'll still probably work with any level of analog cable, as long as they keep that around.

Owners are hoping that maybe someone will come out with some kind of an add-on d/a "converter box".

Yeah, here's hoping. I use my TVGOS all the time.

I assume it still does the constant channel changing with your cable box when watching the TV?
post #10 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by luckylisp View Post

Is the main difference hard drive size?

Unless you're planning on spending $999.00 (on Amazon.com) on a new
Panny -EH55S......
It's kinda irrelevant!
post #11 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by luckylisp View Post

Yeah, here's hoping. I use my TVGOS all the time.

I assume it still does the constant channel changing with your cable box when watching the TV?

This code might prevent that constant channel changing?
post #12 of 21
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by slprp1 View Post

Unless you're planning on spending $999.00 (on Amazon.com) on a new
Panny -EH55S......
It's kinda irrelevant!

Yeah, the prices are insane now, but you can still get both models on ebay (I bought my last panny on ebay) for anywhere between 300.00 to 550.00.
post #13 of 21
Thread Starter 

Wow, great info. I hadn't heard about that. Thanks very much, wabjxo.
post #14 of 21
Do any of you guys know if the EH55 were made in Japan early on?. I have a couple new EH55's and someone asked me if it was made in Japan. The 2 I have are China.
post #15 of 21
No The Eh75v Is Made In Japan With A Samsung 5200rpm Hdd
post #16 of 21
Thanks for the reply. I had an EH55 last year but I coudn't remember where that one said it was manufactured. I figured they were all made in China EH55 anyways.
post #17 of 21
It seems as if the only Panasonic units that come out of a Japanese plant are
"flagship" models (at least in the recent past).
The -EH75VS was their first attempt at combining a hard drive/dvd recorder/vcr
all on one chassis. They seem to want to "get it right the first time" (and generally succeed), as opposed to many other manufacturers that use us as "testers" for their products (and generally fail).
The good news is that the Panasonic plant in China is just that, a Panasonic plant, so their Chinese products are built to a higher standard, as opposed to most units that originate from a typical sub-contractor who's producing garbage under a whole variety of so called "name brands" and otherwise! ......
that might explain why the -EH55S is a reliable, well constructed unit!
post #18 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by mickinct View Post

No The Eh75v Is Made In Japan With A Samsung 5200rpm Hdd


I've heard of 7200 rpm and 5400 rpm HDD's but never 5200 rpm...

Here are the major diff between EH50/EH55


HDD size 100GB/200GB
Video resolution (XP/SP/LP) 704x480/720x480
TVGOS Yes/Yes (with improved interface and features)
Divx Playback Support No/Yes
Dual Layer Disc Recording No/Yes
DVD+RW Recording No/Yes
post #19 of 21
5400 my mistake sorry
post #20 of 21
Folks,

This is a newbie, so please bear with me.

1) I believe the Panasonic EH55 supports the PAL as well as NTSC video formats. Can someone confirm that for me please?

2) I want to use the EH55 in India - probably connected to a satellite tv provider's box. Will I be able to record TV programs coming through? Will that depend on a TVGuide being available?

3) I have a Pioneer 507CMX display (multi-system). I suppose the EH55 can feed TV signals to this Display without a problem?

Thanks in advance for your help.
post #21 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mazgaon View Post

Folks,

This is a newbie, so please bear with me.

1) I believe the Panasonic EH55 supports the PAL as well as NTSC video formats. Can someone confirm that for me please?

2) I want to use the EH55 in India - probably connected to a satellite tv provider's box. Will I be able to record TV programs coming through? Will that depend on a TVGuide being available?

3) I have a Pioneer 507CMX display (multi-system). I suppose the EH55 can feed TV signals to this Display without a problem?

Thanks in advance for your help.

The International NTSC/PAL EH55 is probably what you need.

Of the many sources, here's one.

With the NTSC/PAL version, you should be able to record via Line Input with or without the TVGOS...manual timer recording is avaliable.

You also should be able to feed your display with one or more outputs from the EH55.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: DVD Recorders (Standard Def)
AVS › AVS Forum › Video Components › DVD Recorders (Standard Def) › PANASONIC DMR-EH55 & Panasonic DMR-EH50