I have spent some time on the forum for Panny TH-58PZ800U but just arrived here. Seeking some general advice. I am getting ready to do some upgrading to my overall AV system and I hope you will bear with the somewhat lengthy post and are willing to share some insight with me. [Alternatively, if I am asking such naive questions, feel free to run me off the board
My current AV equipment list and configuration:
1) I bought my 805 in July 2007. No firmware updates; came with 1.04/07614A. Had no problems with it.
2) For DVDs I have a several year old Panasonic PV-D4762 (it is a combo VHS-DVD player) which is connected to the 805 via digital optical for audio and video via component cables.
3) For monitor, I just upgraded from an old Mitsubishi 35 inch tube set to a Panasonic 58" plasma (TH-58PZ800U). It has a native resolution of 1080p. I am getting very good HD video via Comcast on the new Panny; video from DVDs seems good to my novice eye for 480 source material; even video from a non-HD camcorder via the Aux 2 jacks looks pretty good compared to what I got on my old 35 inch tube set.
4) For sound, I have been running a simple but good 3 channel setup (good front L & F speakers and a good subwoofer.
I am generally quite happy with the video performance from any of my sources and for 3 channel stereo the sound is good, especially on Theater Direct.
But I am now getting ready to upgrade to a full 7.1 and get a good Blu Ray player and thought it prudent to ask you all for some insight and advice.
The questions I can think of are:
1) Are there firmware upgrades for my 805 that I must get to avoid some glitches in going to the full 7.1 and adding a Blu Ray player? Better upscaling on video from non-HD sources?
2) I have looked briefly at the info on the 875 and 876 models; seems at first blush the differences are a lot to do with upscaling. Can anyone comment if upgrading to an 875 or 876 will get me much compared to sticking with the 805 (with possible firmware upgrades?)
3) How much better video might I get on standard DVDs if I were to get a newer DVD player with built in upscaling; any advantages over the upscaling I get in the 805?
4) How about separate scaler units? Any big advantages? Seem expensive.
5) Any recommendations on center speakers and side/rear surrounds?
6) Finally, advice on issues or questions I should have asked and didn't?
Thanks much for any help offered!