or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Receivers, Amps, and Processors › "The" Onkyo TX-SR805 Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

"The" Onkyo TX-SR805 Thread - Page 742

post #22231 of 22868
Thread Starter 
I can't believe how long this thread is. Just shows how amazing the 805 is! I still have one stashed at my parents.
post #22232 of 22868
Thread Starter 
Oh and yes they use it in their main room with their big plasma set up.
post #22233 of 22868
Quote:
Originally Posted by mairj View Post


I did a bit more research and found I can get a onkyo 809 for a good price from newegg. How does the 809 compare to the 805? Also has anyone purchased anything from newegg? I usually use amazon, but newegg is $50 cheaper right now.

I've probably placed over 50 orders with Newegg. Always had a great experience. No problems at all.

805 is heavier and more powerful than the 809 but the 809 has newer features.

You might be able to get Amazon to price match if you're uncomfortable with Newegg.
post #22234 of 22868
I cannot believe how cheap this awesome receiver is going for on ebay with multiple listings under $150.

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from...All-Categories

There is no better game in town for that kind of money - even with a few years of age on this workhorse!
post #22235 of 22868
Yea I got my 805 a couple of months ago for $200 off of Craigslist. For the people who need more HDMI outputs. Just buy a hdmi switcher. I'm running Polk rti12, csi5 center, optimus pro lx lenium for surrounds and psw125 sub.
post #22236 of 22868
Thread Starter 
Those are some great buys!
post #22237 of 22868
I just posted a Perfectly working 805 for sale in the classified sec. Pick up only PM if interested.
post #22238 of 22868
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evolvo View Post

The receiver is in the rear room in apparently the receiver did not display on screen audio as far as volume or listening mode so when I'm watching TV I don't know what the volume is on and I don't know what's listening mode I am listening to. There is on screen display when using component and HDMI there is no volume information for HDMI to HDMI this is why i want to go component to HDMI so that I can see onscreen display.
{snip}

That's a very different question than you originally asked. And you already know the answer, which is no. You say you've seen operational info via component, but the manual seems to disagree for component in to component out. Maybe you were actually using a composite/s-vid input that was upconverted to component out when you saw the OSD overlayed. I ran component video/HDMI audio the way you first asked the question when I first got the 805, but I don't remember seeing volume/mode/input overlays, but it's possible I was following the THX recommendation to disable it. I'd go check for you to confirm, but I've long since removed everything except HDMI cabling to clean up the cabinet.

My 805 also runs in an enclosed cabinet with no display of operational status to the viewer. For volume, you simply adjust up/down to your preferred level or set to a known level when you start the show. If you've configured your listening mode defaults properly, you shouldn't need to check them after initial setup. For example, on my cable box input, I have DD signals default to THX U2 and Analog/PCM default to THX Cinema (DPL IIx flavor). For Blu-ray, DVD, and HD-DVD inputs with DD/DTS/MPCM streams, it's THX U2 across the board. CD audio gets stereo and DVD-A/SACD sources get THX Music. I only confirm the CODEC being used by the 805 when a disc doesn't give me the option to choose it when playback starts. Setting your default listening modes will also decrease the 805's signal lock time when bitstreams are interrupted or you're channel surfing and one channel is 2.0 and the next is 5.1.

P. 97, owner's manual:
â– Immediate Display
This setting determines whether operation details are displayed onscreen immediately after an AV receiver function is used.
On: Displayed (default).
Off: Not displayed.
Even if On is selected, operation details are not output if the input source is connected to a COMPONENT VIDEO IN or HDMI IN.
For optimal video performance, THX recommends that Immediate Display be turned off.

-Brent
post #22239 of 22868
OK fellas, I finally made an account on these wonderful forums because this is the first time I couldn't directly find an answer for my question. So here we go:

I have an 805, with my panasonic Viera GT30 connected to the monitor out. I have the optical out from the TV connected to OPT1. I recently purchased a new TV stand and I had to tear down everything, and set it all back up.

The problem that has developed is previously, I was able to turn on my TV set, and my receiver would click on and change to the correct input. If i changed inputs on the TV, my receiver would do the same, and if I powered off the set, as would the receiver.
Also my tv remote would detect the receiver somehow and control the onkyo's volume with the up/dn control on the TV remote.

Now, none of what I said above works :-( ... I have gone through all of the settings on my television and on my receiver, and they are all the same as before. I am just curious if it was my TV that was making all of this work, or the onkyo. I assumed it was the onkyo because It also worked on my older panasonic TV before i upgraded.

I haven't run the auto setup since i tore everything down, I am going to try that tomorrow but I am unsure that it will do anything. The TV has a function called VIERA CAST, which is an HDACI Control (5) but I only have them connected by the monitor out via HDMI, and the optical out on the tv, so the TV isn't detecting the receiver in the menu.

I am up for any suggestions to get this matter solved, I hope that I have provided adequate information and details to troubleshoot this problem. If anything else is required please let me know!
Thanks in advance!
post #22240 of 22868
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrasstits View Post

{snip}
The problem that has developed is previously, I was able to turn on my TV set, and my receiver would click on and change to the correct input. If i changed inputs on the TV, my receiver would do the same, and if I powered off the set, as would the receiver.
Also my tv remote would detect the receiver somehow and control the onkyo's volume with the up/dn control on the TV remote.

Now, none of what I said above works :-( ... I have gone through all of the settings on my television and on my receiver, and they are all the same as before. I am just curious if it was my TV that was making all of this work, or the onkyo. I assumed it was the onkyo because It also worked on my older panasonic TV before i upgraded.

I haven't run the auto setup since i tore everything down, I am going to try that tomorrow but I am unsure that it will do anything. The TV has a function called VIERA CAST, which is an HDACI Control (5) but I only have them connected by the monitor out via HDMI, and the optical out on the tv, so the TV isn't detecting the receiver in the menu.

I am up for any suggestions to get this matter solved, I hope that I have provided adequate information and details to troubleshoot this problem. If anything else is required please let me know!
Thanks in advance!

It's the TV and 805 working together via HDMI CEC, no special magic involving the TV remote detecting your 805. ;-) In the process of disconnecing/reconnecing It sounds like you've either turned off the HDMI control function in the TV or changed the HDMI Control settings (menu 7-5) in the 805. Possibly one or both devices reset themselves while disconnected from main power.

I do wonder why you have an optical output from the TV back to the 805? The only setup where I can see this being useful is if you receive broadcast TV OTA or have basic cable without a STB. Otherwise, you're better off going from the source (STB, disc player, game console) directly into the 805 for decoding.

The 805's remote is a programmable universal with macro capability. If nothing else, it's a more ecological and economical solution than using HDMI control since devices use more power in standby mode with HDMI control activated since the HDMI circuits have to stay active to "talk" to each other. It's also usually pretty easy to find a Harmony in the $50 range if one is a patient shopper.

-Brent
post #22241 of 22868
Thanks for the info Brent! Well I checked in the menus and it appears that everything is still enabled. I am going to attempt to do a reset on both devices and set them up from the factory defaults, maybe everything will sync up after all that.

I have the optical out going to my onkyo for a few reasons, 1, because I want to be able to get the sound from any devices connected to the inputs on the TV (not enough for me on the 805) to the receiver. 2, because sometimes the wife doesn't want the stereo on when she is watching the tv.

I have a Logitech Harmony from a few years back and it was always a pain to use. Once set up (which takes long enough in itself) whenever you run one of the "Activities" the remote seems to forget to turn on devices or select proper inputs every other time you use it. Then you have to step through the help prompts that check every step in the process, which takes more time than simply using another remote or changing the device and powering/selecting it manually.

I wasn't sure that the TV's settings would matter much because the TV is connected to the Onkyo via the monitor out, so as an Input. I assumed that it wasn't a cross-talk type of communication, rather the Receiver sending signals to the TV, am I wrong??

I did notice before that when everything was working properly, if I pressed the vol up or down on the TV remote, instead of seeing "Volume +/-" on the TV screen, I would see "Home Theater +/-".

Anyhow, I am going to try a factory reset on both devices and see where that gets me. I'll keep you guys posted!
thanks!
post #22242 of 22868
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrasstits View Post

Thanks for the info Brent! Well I checked in the menus and it appears that everything is still enabled. I am going to attempt to do a reset on both devices and set them up from the factory defaults, maybe everything will sync up after all that.

I have the optical out going to my onkyo for a few reasons, 1, because I want to be able to get the sound from any devices connected to the inputs on the TV (not enough for me on the 805) to the receiver. 2, because sometimes the wife doesn't want the stereo on when she is watching the tv.

I have a Logitech Harmony from a few years back and it was always a pain to use. Once set up (which takes long enough in itself) whenever you run one of the "Activities" the remote seems to forget to turn on devices or select proper inputs every other time you use it. Then you have to step through the help prompts that check every step in the process, which takes more time than simply using another remote or changing the device and powering/selecting it manually.

I wasn't sure that the TV's settings would matter much because the TV is connected to the Onkyo via the monitor out, so as an Input. I assumed that it wasn't a cross-talk type of communication, rather the Receiver sending signals to the TV, am I wrong??

I did notice before that when everything was working properly, if I pressed the vol up or down on the TV remote, instead of seeing "Volume +/-" on the TV screen, I would see "Home Theater +/-".

Anyhow, I am going to try a factory reset on both devices and see where that gets me. I'll keep you guys posted!
thanks!

HDMI is a 2 way communication channel. If you think about your experience for a second, it has to be. That's the only way powering on one device will turn on both and allow volume controle, etc.

Sounds like you didn't configure something correctly on your Harmony or you don't completely understand how it works. If configured correctly, it will power on all devices and set proper inputs for an activity. Then, if you power off using the Harmony or switch activities, the Harmony will correctly track the state of each device. If you do something to a device without using the Harmony, all bets are off since the Harmony no longer knows the state of the device. IOW, the Harmony has to be the only source of control. Been working well for years by my retired parents, my decidedly non-techno wife, and 10 year old.

What inputs are you short on the 805? If it's HDMI, just pick up an HDMI switch from Monoprice. Routing sources through the TV to the 805 will limit you to the audio abilities of the TV. IOW, if you feed a 5.1 source to the TV first, you may only get 2.0 from the 805. Varies by TV as some do now pass bitstreams in tact.

Can't help you with the wife only wanting to use TV speakers. I've heard that one before, but it never made sense to me.

-Brent
post #22243 of 22868
Dolby True HD / DTS HD Master question.

Hi guys, just got an 805 off ebay for the HDMI/Audyssey, but need some help for those with experience...

1- Playing Blu-Ray via HDMI from a HTPC with TMT5. TMT5 says it's playing Dolby True HD or DTS Master but the amp is showing 'Dolby Digital' and just DTS.

Should the 'True HD' and the 'HD Master' light up on the display?

2 - How do I check the firmware version vs whatever was the last and is it worth getting it updated?

Cheers.
post #22244 of 22868
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Albert View Post

Dolby True HD / DTS HD Master question.

Hi guys, just got an 805 off ebay for the HDMI/Audyssey, but need some help for those with experience...

1- Playing Blu-Ray via HDMI from a HTPC with TMT5. TMT5 says it's playing Dolby True HD or DTS Master but the amp is showing 'Dolby Digital' and just DTS.

Should the 'True HD' and the 'HD Master' light up on the display?

2 - How do I check the firmware version vs whatever was the last and is it worth getting it updated?

Cheers.

Are you using toslink optical or HDMI for the connection?
post #22245 of 22868
HDMI out of a nVidia 520GT card...
post #22246 of 22868
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Albert View Post

Dolby True HD / DTS HD Master question.

Hi guys, just got an 805 off ebay for the HDMI/Audyssey, but need some help for those with experience...

1- Playing Blu-Ray via HDMI from a HTPC with TMT5. TMT5 says it's playing Dolby True HD or DTS Master but the amp is showing 'Dolby Digital' and just DTS.

Should the 'True HD' and the 'HD Master' light up on the display?

2 - How do I check the firmware version vs whatever was the last and is it worth getting it updated?

Cheers.

1) Yes, if the 805 is receiving a DTS HD-MA or TrueHD stream, the appropriate icon in the left side of the display will light up.

Are you sure your card and s/w player will *output* DTS-HD/TrueHD streams? There can be a difference between the selected track on the disc and what is actually output. I remember finding cards/players that were capable of lossless output for HTPCs being a problem at one time, but I haven't followed that market.

Assuming your card/player is capable, how do you have the 805 configured? For starters, despite what the name might imply if you don't read the manual, HDMI Audio should be off (p.99). Otherwise, the 805 will be limited to the audio capabilities of your display and I'm 99.9% sure there's not a DTS-HD/TrueHD capable display being built, yet. ;-)

2) Search should turn up the firmware, temperature probes, and other "secrete menu" commands within this thread. Or, you could look at post #1 in the TX-SR705 thread where they're all documented in one place. "Worth it" will likely depend on which version you have and your risk tolerance. There's a separate thread dedicated to Onkyo firmware updates that's worth reading if you want to pursue this. Bricking the 805 is possible. I upgraded from 1.06 to 1.08, but can't say I could tell a difference in performance, but people coming from lower versions have claimed the proverbial night-and-day results.

Separate from the main firmware, you'll want to check the three DSP chips' s/w version. While discs produced after "The Golden Compass" are not supposed to suffer from the DTS bomb, regardless of a unit's DSP firmware, it's worth updating (also effected same year Yamaha receivers). This update is done by playing a WAV file into the optical #1 input on the 805 after putting the 805 into update mode via the secret handshake. No brick risk, factory approved for DIY. Hard part is finding a player that will output the WAV file properly, CD/DVD players reported better success than Blu players. Search back in this thread for the version numbers and instructions. I think I, among others, posted a link to the Onkyo support page for this, but I think it requires registering your 805 with Onkyo to actually get in. The firmware update thread does/did have downloads just for the DSP as well.

-Brent
post #22247 of 22868
Chris,

I have both the DSP and 1.08 FW files as zips, from when I did my 805 upgrades. Both files top out somewhere in the 5.5MB range, so they can be emailed.

If you decide that you want to do this, then PM me with an email address.

Also, that 705 FAQ URL is:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...kyo+705+owners

I keep this stuff around...

Seggers
post #22248 of 22868
Seggers/Riverwolf thanks for the great replies...flat out over New Year and will get to it asap...will get back to you with what I find.

Thanks again for the info,

Happy New Year!!!
post #22249 of 22868
Happy New Year, AVSForum! My 805 turns four years old this month.

The display on the front panel of my 805 just quit working a few days ago. When I push the "Display" button a few times I can get the blue light around the volume dial to turn off and on, but that's about it.

Everything else works. I have everything dialed-in pretty good, so except for seeing the volume display, it doesn't affect my use of it too much.

A few questions:
  1. Is the display really broken, or is there some button I might have pushed that turned it off?
  2. If it is broken, is it repairable?
  3. If it is even repairable, is it worth it?
  4. If it's not repairable, I guess I need to decide if I can live with it or replace it. What sort of new features have I been missing over the last four years?
Thanks for your time.
post #22250 of 22868
Quote:
Originally Posted by dalesd View Post

The display on the front panel of my 805 just quit working a few days ago. When I push the "Display" button a few times I can get the blue light around the volume dial to turn off and on, but that's about it.

Hi dalesd, maybe "Pure Audio" button was pressed by accident.
post #22251 of 22868
dalesd,
I just had the same problem about two-three weeks ago. I used the fix provided by "cambrian" (pg578) and it worked perfectly. http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...6#post15249416
I hope this helps with your issue

cheers
post #22252 of 22868
If the pure audio is active, there's a blue ring around the pure audio button. The volume knob always seems to have that blue ring.

This issue is exactly what happened to my a few months back. The same fix as what Mij Llessur listed. The fix is cheap, assuming you or a friend is good enough with a soldering iron. The resistors aren't surface mount so in the grand scheme of soldering, it's pretty simple.

The next thing that will go is the HDMI board!! Those are all surface mounted so that's a PITA to fix. Make sure you stick an external cooling fan on the top right corner (at least, if not more fans).
post #22253 of 22868
Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post

I cannot believe how cheap this awesome receiver is going for on ebay with multiple listings under $150.

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from...All-Categories

There is no better game in town for that kind of money - even with a few years of age on this workhorse!

The working ones are mostly going for $300 actually...
post #22254 of 22868
well it seems after ~5yrs my onkyo 805 has decided to relieve me of it's sub duties. i have double checked that my sub and fronts lp and hp settings are correct and the sub setting is 'on'. i've tried several cables and and cofirmed it with 3 different subs. any suggestions to look for? is there any way to measure the output at the rca with a multimeter?

help
post #22255 of 22868
I have had a 805 XPA-5 combo for a couple years now. I still can't figure out how to trigger the XPA-5 on and off automatically. For some reason no one will post a link to what they purchased to get this done, they say google wall mart 12v, nothing useful comes up. I also have a harmony 900. I have tried the zone 2 with a 3.5MM stereo monorprice cable and must be missing something on that. Can anyone help simplify this process? I know have a custom built-in so the trigger is crucial now.
post #22256 of 22868
Quote:
Originally Posted by blue934 View Post

well it seems after ~5yrs my onkyo 805 has decided to relieve me of it's sub duties. i have double checked that my sub and fronts lp and hp settings are correct and the sub setting is 'on'. i've tried several cables and and cofirmed it with 3 different subs. any suggestions to look for? is there any way to measure the output at the rca with a multimeter?

help

Connect the sub to one of the main pre-outs to confirm good cable/sub. You know, "trust, but verify". :-) After that, next step is to try a full reset (p.113 owner's manual).

Sorry can't offer more help...we've seen people who swore their sub-out wasn't working during initial setup or after recabling, but they turned out to be connecting the sub to the MCH input instead of the preout. Your post reads as if the system was untouched and the sub went offline.

-Brent
post #22257 of 22868
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsully444 View Post

I have had a 805 XPA-5 combo for a couple years now. I still can't figure out how to trigger the XPA-5 on and off automatically. For some reason no one will post a link to what they purchased to get this done, they say google wall mart 12v, nothing useful comes up. I also have a harmony 900. I have tried the zone 2 with a 3.5MM stereo monorprice cable and must be missing something on that. Can anyone help simplify this process? I know have a custom built-in so the trigger is crucial now.

Lots of ways to skin this cat.

Instead of "wall mart 12v", I'm guessing they said a "12v wall wart". Wall wart = AC/DC adapter. If you don't have something compatible in your junk drawer already, head down to Radio Shack. Just need to find something that provides the voltage/current and connector shape needed by the XPA-5's trigger. Plug it into the convenience outlet on the back of the 805. Job done.

Or. Get a power center/power strip with triggered outlet(s).

-Brent
post #22258 of 22868
thanks for the suggestions brent, i do have output at the center and main preouts but not at either of the sub rca's. did a reset to no avail. to the shop then?

david
post #22259 of 22868
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mij Llessur View Post

dalesd,
I just had the same problem about two-three weeks ago. I used the fix provided by "cambrian" (pg578) and it worked perfectly. http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...6#post15249416
I hope this helps with your issue

cheers

Perfect! Thanks, I never would have found this without help.

I assumed a DIY repair would be nearly impossible, but it everything went perfectly. The most difficult and time consuming part was disconnecting the cables from the back of the receiver so I could get it over to my workbench. After that, it was a piece of cake.

R9304 was the bad one on my board, but I replaced them both.

I just plugged it in for a test and the front panel display is working again!

Thanks Mij Llessur and cambrian.
post #22260 of 22868
Quote:
Originally Posted by blue934 View Post

thanks for the suggestions brent, i do have output at the center and main preouts but not at either of the sub rca's. did a reset to no avail. to the shop then?

david

Yep, not a lot of configurations that can disable the sub output. If, after the hard reset, you:

1) confirmed you were using the "Pre Out Subwoofer" jack (closest to the power cord)
2) confirmed you do not have Direct or Pure listening mode engaged
3) Subwoofer = Yes in speaker config menu and subwoofer level >= 0 for testing and volume/gain on sub itself to 50% or more
4) Set a xover frequency for your mains instead of using "full band" (higher = better for testing)
5) set subwoofer power setting to "on" instead of "auto" if that's an option (just eliminating one more place for error)
6) played a source that had content below the xover point selected for your mains and/or an LFE(.1) channel. Internal test tones should work as well.

Then, I'd say you're at the have it diagnosed by a service center stage. I'd probably have to pop the top myself first, though, to check for any obvious signs of an open connection tracing backwards from the sub out RCA jack as far as I could.

-Brent
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Receivers, Amps, and Processors
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Receivers, Amps, and Processors › "The" Onkyo TX-SR805 Thread