or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Receivers, Amps, and Processors › "The" Onkyo TX-SR805 Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

"The" Onkyo TX-SR805 Thread - Page 9

post #241 of 22868
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrgribbles View Post

Did any of you early 805 adventurers get any speaker popping when you first started up?

Strangely, I get speaker popping out of my rear speakers when I switch inputs. Does this seem to be wide spread?
post #242 of 22868
Quote:
Originally Posted by lrstevens421 View Post

Strangely, I get speaker popping out of my rear speakers when I switch inputs. Does this seem to be wide spread?

It was pandemic with the 605. just about everyone reported that they had speaker popping. It went away on mine after the first day and never returned. No one else has reported continued popping. I think it may be Onks way of eliminating redundant transistors or caps on startup.
post #243 of 22868
Quote:
Originally Posted by dan711 View Post

Might be tough for the 805 to out perform the 4306 audio wise. It may equal it though.

isnt this sort of comparing apples to oranges tho? i paid more for my 3803 than i did for this 805...i know the 4306 is far more costly...

speaking as a previous denon owner and fanatic (3300 and 3803 still plugging along OK), the onkyo 805 fixes alot of minor issues i had w/ denon

1) legible volume display
2) renameable inputs
3) sleep mode
4) horrendously bad OS (the onkyo isnt perfect but its much better)
5) easy to access speaker terminals

about my only complaint is the lack of rear optical inputs (only 2 versus 5)...so im stuck with a tv, xbox360, and cd player. how to hook them up?
post #244 of 22868
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrgribbles View Post

It was pandemic with the 605. just about everyone reported that they had speaker popping. It went away on mine after the first day and never returned. No one else has reported continued popping. I think it may be Onks way of eliminating redundant transistors or caps on startup.

That's good to hear. I'm a huge fan of burn-in (as silly as it may be). So I guess it should go away after a few days of continous play . We'll see.
post #245 of 22868
Quote:
Originally Posted by arthas76 View Post

isnt this sort of comparing apples to oranges tho? i paid more for my 3803 than i did for this 805...i know the 4306 is far more costly...

speaking as a previous denon owner and fanatic (3300 and 3803 still plugging along OK), the onkyo 805 fixes alot of minor issues i had w/ denon

1) legible volume display
2) renameable inputs
3) sleep mode
4) horrendously bad OS (the onkyo isnt perfect but its much better)
5) easy to access speaker terminals

about my only complaint is the lack of rear optical inputs (only 2 versus 5)...so im stuck with a tv, xbox360, and cd player. how to hook them up?

I actually think the 805 will surpass the 4306 in sheer power output (eventhough they're both rated at 130 watts per channel). Sound quality may be rather close if not slightly better on the Denon. Again, sound quality is all subjective.
post #246 of 22868
Quote:
Originally Posted by lrstevens421 View Post

I actually think the 805 will surpass the 4306 in sheer power output (eventhough they're both rated at 130 watts per channel). Sound quality may be rather close if not slightly better on the Denon. Again, sound quality is all subjective.


The 4306 has a good amplifier but the 805 looks very strong judging by its published output power specs...

Regarding other features such as DSP and HDMI, the triple TI DSPs of the 805 is more powerful than the ADI sharcs in the 4306..
post #247 of 22868
I know this has been asked before but I need reassurance...

My central and surround speakers are rated 100W... I am afraid to fried then if I buy the 805 rated 130W.. is it possible?
post #248 of 22868
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrgribbles View Post

Did any of you early 805 adventurers get any speaker popping when you first started up?

Mine worked perfectly out of the box, mrgribbles. No issues.

I did just find a quirk though. When you go into the set up menu to adjust the EQ, you get no sound. HMMMMMM. So, to set up the EQ manually, you'd need to make a change, exit the menu to see (or hear) how your changes affected the response and reapeat as necessary. Very clumsy and ackward to me. In other words, it is not practicle for me to attempt to use the manual EQ in this way. I need sound to come out as I'm adjusting the EQ. Didn't Onkyo think of this?

If anyone knows a way to adjust the EQ (or tone control for that matter) while sound is actually coming out the speakers, please let me know.
post #249 of 22868
Quote:
Originally Posted by M Code View Post

The 4306 has a good amplifier but the 805 looks very strong judging by its published output power specs...

Regarding other features such as DSP and HDMI, the triple TI DSPs of the 805 is more powerful than the ADI sharcs in the 4306..

i can definitely attest to the weight and girth of the 805...looking in the top u can see the massive power transformers. and it definitely has more power than my denon (its 12 pounds heavier, so it should)

as for the sounds, like i said before, its brighter but more detailed and w/ more separation. i dont really believe receivers have a "burn in" period that greatly affects the sound quality. i do like the sound very much so far tho.
post #250 of 22868
Quote:
Originally Posted by powerknowledge View Post

That really sucks, man; I feel for you. Hope the Menlo Park crew wakes up!

Well, I'd no sooner (1030AM PDT)checked the FEDEX website again (still said not scheduled for delivery) when the doorbell rang and a dog-tired FEDEX guy was standing there with the biggest damned box I've ever had delivered by one man's hands (the SXRD box was a bit bigger , but it wasn't carried by one guy).
Anyway, when I get back from Boston on the 19th, I expect you guys will have this darned thang all set and I can post stupid questions
post #251 of 22868
Quote:
Originally Posted by ibre34 View Post

I know this has been asked before but I need reassurance...

My central and surround speakers are rated 100W... I am afraid to fried then if I buy the 805 rated 130W.. is it possible?

You'll probably only average a few watts a channel when playing your 805. 15 watts is extremely loud. The 130 watt is only needed for short bursts of sound, not continuous sound. Your speakers should be fine. It's always better to have more power than less. More power means less distortion, and loud distortion fries drivers quicker than anything.
post #252 of 22868
Alright... I caved... got one on the way.

Have a PS3 and HD-XA1...

What are the problems I will have with a full HDMI connection if any ?

Will my audio be passed the way we would want it to be ?
post #253 of 22868
SO WHAT IS THE POINT THEN TO HAVE AN AMP THAT DECODES THE AUDIO FORMATS IF THERE ARE NO PLAYERS THAT SEND THEM OUT BITSTREAM?
Sounds to me like we should all stick with our PS3s and old amps and be happy with PCM.
Sorry, I just thought we would be able to hear DTS-MA sometime soon on Bluray.
post #254 of 22868
Quote:
Originally Posted by FoSheezy View Post

SO WHAT IS THE POINT THEN TO HAVE AN AMP THAT DECODES THE AUDIO FORMATS IF THERE ARE NO PLAYERS THAT SEND THEM OUT BITSTREAM?
Sounds to me like we should all stick with our PS3s and old amps and be happy with PCM.
Sorry, I just thought we would be able to hear DTS-MA sometime soon on Bluray.

There's been countless discussions about this here:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=789994

and here:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=738511
post #255 of 22868
For those of you with Harmony remotes, (mine is the 880), the 805s defaults in the Harmony software is as follows;

CBL/SAT input is labled Video2
VCR/DVR input is labled Video1
GAME/TV input is labled Video3

I realize this seems simple, but if you knew how long it took me to nail this down, I should get a medal!
post #256 of 22868
Quote:
Originally Posted by legierk View Post

For those of you with Harmony remotes, (mine is the 880), the 805s defaults in the Harmony software is as follows;

CBL/SAT input is labled Video2
VCR/DVR input is labled Video1
GAME/TV input is labled Video3

I realize this seems simple, but if you knew how long it took me to nail this down, I should get a medal!

One medal in the mail...
post #257 of 22868
Quote:
Originally Posted by FoSheezy View Post

SO WHAT IS THE POINT THEN TO HAVE AN AMP THAT DECODES THE AUDIO FORMATS IF THERE ARE NO PLAYERS THAT SEND THEM OUT BITSTREAM?
Sounds to me like we should all stick with our PS3s and old amps and be happy with PCM.
Sorry, I just thought we would be able to hear DTS-MA sometime soon on Bluray.


So it looks like we still cant hear DTS-MA? that totally sucks. i was hoping this would be the week that we could finally hear it. oh well, i guess we'll have to wait unit the end of the year. hopefully not much longer than that..
post #258 of 22868
Quote:
Originally Posted by FoSheezy View Post

SO WHAT IS THE POINT THEN TO HAVE AN AMP THAT DECODES THE AUDIO FORMATS IF THERE ARE NO PLAYERS THAT SEND THEM OUT BITSTREAM?
Sounds to me like we should all stick with our PS3s and old amps and be happy with PCM.
Sorry, I just thought we would be able to hear DTS-MA sometime soon on Bluray.

Maybe someday. As we have discussed around these parts for many months...these possibilities are all in the future and we need several elements to be upgraded in order to achieve that. This is one of them. We should applaud the electronics manufacturers for getting on the ball as soon as they have.

If the BDA takes awhile to get their act together, well that's the BDA...

E
post #259 of 22868
I am having problems I cant get the reciever to display its using any of the other speakers only FR and FL (is this suppose to happen if I am using L and R analog) and no sound comes out the rears on anything from the tv or radio only things I have tried (update: ok I have heard some things on the rears now using prologic music for a music station I didn't hear it earlier and don't think I have done anything). I have tried switching sound formats like prologic. I have used the static test and they all work. The TV input is Red and White cables, I dont have a HDMI cord to reach the TV. Can someone help?
post #260 of 22868
I swear, every time I think I have this whole HD sound format mess figured out, I have the rug pulled out from under me and end up just as confused as before.

So to clarify:

If I buy one of the new HDMI 1.3 Onkyo AVRs, I cannot send bitstream to it via HDMI from my XA2 or my Sammy BD-P1200. So... will I be able to hear DD+, DTS-HD, etc.? To be even more literal-minded, will I see the light on my AVR light up saying 'Dolby Digital Plus' or 'DTS-HD'? This sounds ridiculous, but I'm just waiting for an AVR to blink those logos at me. I'm currently using a Pioneer VSX-D912, and half the time I don't know what the hell I'm listening to over SPDIF.

And another (probably stupid question): to listen to a Blu-Ray uncompressed PCM track, do I need to use the analog outs on my player, or can I hear this soundtrack over SPDIF?

Thank you to anyone who responds... I'm gonna go take some aspirin. I've never found HT so frustrating in my life.
post #261 of 22868
You can use analog outs or HDMI. If you use SPDIF the signal will be downconverted to DTS
post #262 of 22868
Quote:
Originally Posted by SGRSBSKIER View Post

I am having problems I cant get the reciever to display its using any of the other speakers only FR and FL (is this suppose to happen if I am using L and R analog) and no sound comes out the rears on anything from the tv or radio only things I have tried (update: ok I have heard some things on the rears now using prologic music for a music station I didn't hear it earlier and don't think I have done anything). I have tried switching sound formats like prologic. I have used the static test and they all work. The TV input is Red and White cables, I dont have a HDMI cord to reach the TV. Can someone help?

you're running stereo cables into the receiver, so it's only getting 2 channels of sound, the front left and front right channels. the only way to get that signal spread out to your surrounds is to use some form of prologic. there might not be a lot going on in the surrounds even with pro logic turned on, depending on the content.
if you want to send the receiver a multichannel signal you either need to use HDMI, SPDIF, optical, or 6 analog cables.
post #263 of 22868
Quote:
Originally Posted by win200 View Post

I swear, every time I think I have this whole HD sound format mess figured out, I have the rug pulled out from under me and end up just as confused as before.

So to clarify:

If I buy one of the new HDMI 1.3 Onkyo AVRs, I cannot send bitstream to it via HDMI from my XA2 or my Sammy BD-P1200. So... will I be able to hear DD+, DTS-HD, etc.? To be even more literal-minded, will I see the light on my AVR light up saying 'Dolby Digital Plus' or 'DTS-HD'? This sounds ridiculous, but I'm just waiting for an AVR to blink those logos at me. I'm currently using a Pioneer VSX-D912, and half the time I don't know what the hell I'm listening to over SPDIF.

And another (probably stupid question): to listen to a Blu-Ray uncompressed PCM track, do I need to use the analog outs on my player, or can I hear this soundtrack over SPDIF?

Thank you to anyone who responds... I'm gonna go take some aspirin. I've never found HT so frustrating in my life.

Well, get ready to take more aspirin my friend. The Toshiba HD-XA2 decodes DD+ and TrueHD internally, your receiver recognizes this as Multichannel PCM so you will not see those fancy logos light up on your receiver.

The Samsung is a bit more limited. It does do uncompressed PCM and DD+, but it doesn't do TrueHD nor DTS-HD(Neither does the Toshiba). And like the Toshiba it sends it to the AVR in PCM form, so again, no fancy lights.

To make matters worst there are currently NO players that send these formats via bitstream and their are no players than can decode DTS-HD (the Toshiba is rumored to receive a firmware update in the fall), all you get for now is the DTS core. Ain't life grand .
post #264 of 22868
Quote:
Originally Posted by lrstevens421 View Post

Well, get ready to take more aspirin my friend. The Toshiba HD-XA2 decodes DD+ and TrueHD internally, your receiver recognizes this as Multichannel PCM so you will not see those fancy logos light up on your receiver.

The Samsung is a bit more limited. It does do uncompressed PCM and DD+, but it doesn't do TrueHD nor DTS-HD(Neither does the Toshiba). And like the Toshiba it sends it to the AVR in PCM form, so again, no fancy lights.

To make matters worst there are currently NO players that send these formats via bitstream and their are no players than can decode DTS-HD (the Toshiba is rumored to receive a firmware update in the fall), all you get for now is the DTS core. Ain't life grand .

SO WHAT YOU SAYING IS IT WILL BE PASSED DIRECT TO 805, AND YOU CAN ACTIVATE 7.1 POST PROCESSING
Z?

finally, if you got the reciever what are your experiences, impressions.

thnx
post #265 of 22868
Quote:
Originally Posted by zoro View Post

SO WHAT YOU SAYING IS IT WILL BE PASSED DIRECT TO 805, AND YOU CAN ACTIVATE 7.1 POST PROCESSING
Z?

finally, if you got the reciever what are your experiences, impressions.

thnx

Yes it will passed as PCM to the receiver and you can apply post processing on top of it.

In terms of the receiver, so far so good, haven't really had much time to play with it. That will change this weekend though .
post #266 of 22868
Quote:
Originally Posted by M Code View Post

The 4306 has a good amplifier but the 805 looks very strong judging by its published output power specs...

Regarding other features such as DSP and HDMI, the triple TI DSPs of the 805 is more powerful than the ADI sharcs in the 4306..

The real question for me will be the 875 vs. the Denon 4308ci. With the lack of information from Denon, it is hard to make an on paper comparison. I should wait until both are out and have initial reviews here but likely won't and will just pull the trigger one way or another at release date.

I have a perception that Denon is a better quality and would sounds marginally warmer but the 875 looks REALLY good on paper (never owned either manufacture). SQ is most important but than the HQV in the Onkyo vs. the Ethernet control & connectivity of the Denon has meet sitting on the fence.

Any thoughts anyone? Sorry to post this 805 thread but wanted M Code and others who have owned both manufactures to feedback - don't flame me!!! =)
post #267 of 22868
Quote:
Originally Posted by lrstevens421 View Post

Yes it will passed as PCM to the receiver and you can apply post processing on top of it.

In terms of the receiver, so far so good, haven't really had much time to play with it. That will change this weekend though .

Man!! I cant wait for your detailed input/feedback here!

How does it sound, relative to your Yamaha?

How abt video upscale, analogue to digital etc and DCDI processing.

Do you own a PS3? and if you have downloaded some 7.1 games trial etc lately, or you own one?

PS3 7.1 stuff sound simply awesome imho.

We will stay tuned here till then.
post #268 of 22868
Quote:
Originally Posted by zoro View Post

Man!! I cant wait for your detailed input/feedback here!

How does it sound, relative to your Yamaha?

How abt video upscale, analogue to digital etc and DCDI processing.

Do you own a PS3? and if you have downloaded some 7.1 games trial etc lately, or you own one?

PS3 7.1 stuff sound simply awesome imho.

We will stay tuned here till then.

I'll keep you posted. I'm going to put this baby through a complete workout on Sunday. I don't have a PS3, but I can say that the Onkyo handles 1080p24 flawlessly from my BD-P1200. Stay tuned .
post #269 of 22868
Quote:
Originally Posted by lrstevens421 View Post

I'll keep you posted. I'm going to put this baby through a complete workout on Sunday. I don't have a PS3, but I can say that the Onkyo handles 1080p24 flawlessly from my BD-P1200. Stay tuned .

Except for bitstream as advertised.
post #270 of 22868
Found this on Cnet today for all you Onkyo users: here

Quote:


Friday 8 June 2007
Onkyo DV-HD805: Finally, a new HD DVD player
Related entries: DVD & PVR


Toshiba's HD DVD division is like the kid who doesn't have anyone to play with -- overweight, lazy and beginning to develop an odd smell. Until now, that is -- there hasn't been much competition in the HD DVD market, but that's about to change with a new player from Onkyo, the DV-HD805.

But unlike the aforementioned loser, Toshiba has an awesome new toy and everyone wants to play with it. Onkyo is licensing the blueprints from Tosh, so the DV-HD805 is actually based on the Toshiba HD-XE1. The good news for us is that it could result in a substantial price drop for HD DVD players.

Onkyo is keen to point out it will be tweaking the hardware too, so while it is based on the Toshiba player, it's hopefully going to have a few tasty enhancements. It will also have an Onkyo-designed case, which is going to look a little different to the usual black Toshiba design.

There is no formal word on price yet, but we would hope Onkyo does its usual trick of producing decent hardware with a sensible price tag. If so, we could see this being a nice boost to the fortunes of HD DVD.

The other snippet of exciting news is that Onkyo also supports Blu-ray, which leads us to wonder if perhaps we could see a budget Blu-ray player, or maybe even a dual-format machine from the company in the next year. -Ian Morris
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Receivers, Amps, and Processors
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Receivers, Amps, and Processors › "The" Onkyo TX-SR805 Thread