or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › 2 Channel Audio › Using 2 sets of Stereo Speakers for Stereo Sound?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Using 2 sets of Stereo Speakers for Stereo Sound?

post #1 of 16
Thread Starter 
This might sound stupid but is there any advantage or usefulness to installing 2 sets of speakers in the same room for stereo sound? I think this is how car audio works right?

Is there any reason to do this in a house?
post #2 of 16
I have no idea but were you thinking of something like bookshelves and floorstanding speakers? for a total of 4 perhaps?
post #3 of 16
Bad idea.
post #4 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chu Gai View Post

Bad idea.

Why?
post #5 of 16
If you play both pairs at the same time, you'll get destructive interference. Think of soundwaves like waves in water... when two waves meet, they'll create one larger wave (larger peaks and dips). This generally isn't a big deal in audio, until you have two waves that are identical, in other words: two speakers generating the same signal. Very low fidelity to the source.
post #6 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindahl View Post

If you play both pairs at the same time, you'll get destructive interference. Think of soundwaves like waves in water... when two waves meet, they'll create one larger wave (larger peaks and dips). This generally isn't a big deal in audio, until you have two waves that are identical, in other words: two speakers generating the same signal. Very low fidelity to the source.

What you're describing is not destructive but constructive interference. Which is usually desirable. Modern receiver implementations of multi-channel stereo have no phase cancellation issues with monopole rears.
post #7 of 16
Make a Hafler circuit for your 4 speakers instead for a quasi-surround.

- Steve O.
post #8 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by snickersbar View Post

Is there any reason to do this in a house?

Do you mean in the same room or in separate locations?

Why do you want to do this? What are you trying to accomplish, exactly?

I'm with Chu Gai. Bad idea.
post #9 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by sprung2 View Post

What you're describing is not destructive but constructive interference. Which is usually desirable. Modern receiver implementations of multi-channel stereo have no phase cancellation issues with monopole rears.

We were both wrong. It's actually destructive and constructive (dips/peaks). He said he was using them for stereo sound, not multi-channel stereo sound, so yes, there will be phase issues. Regardless, playing a stereo source in multi-channel stereo destroys the fidelity (albeit less so than having phase issues).
post #10 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by sprung2 View Post

Modern receiver implementations of multi-channel stereo have no phase cancellation issues with monopole rears.

And many of us despise this setting for the reproduction of what are originally 2-channel sources.
post #11 of 16
Unless you're planning to turn your room into a disco with extacy and an open bar, this is just so cheesy. People getting into 2 channel or even 2.1 stereo, or 3.1 get finicky about a lot of things...speaker placement for good imaging and soundstage, dealing with first order reflections...doing what they can to make the stereo experience just that...a good experience. If you've got an extra set of speakers, just use them in another room. If the ones you've got are insufficiently sized for your room, then get ones that are properly sized. Just 'cause you've got them doesn't mean you ought to use them.
post #12 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindahl View Post

We were both wrong. It's actually destructive and constructive (dips/peaks). He said he was using them for stereo sound, not multi-channel stereo sound, so yes, there will be phase issues. Regardless, playing a stereo source in multi-channel stereo destroys the fidelity (albeit less so than having phase issues).

Misery likes company, I stated nothing incorrectly. The distortion you speak of is a result of reflections which can be mitigated somewhat with room treatments and peq. Monopoles correctly laid out and fed by a stereo signal correctly processed in a listening room well treated interfere constructively for the most part.
post #13 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by sprung2 View Post

The distortion you speak of is a result of reflections which can be mitigated somewhat with room treatments and peq.

I spoke of no distortion for multi-channel stereo, just loss of fidelity. You're putting sound behind you where it isn't supposed to be. The sound was mixed for 2-channel stereo. I don't want performers hanging out behind me, nor inside my head. I want the performance in front of me, like it's supposed to be.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sprung2 View Post

Monopoles correctly laid out and fed by a stereo signal correctly processed in a listening room well treated interfere constructively for the most part.

He said nothing of processing the stereo signal.
post #14 of 16
I know someone who did just that with one bookshelf speaker on top of the other. It sounds OK, but there are issues with imaging as well as some dips and peaks with music. He has not given me any reason for doing this except some mention that he read about it somewhere. I believe his other half must have told him to use them or lose them.
post #15 of 16
She was talking about something else I think.
post #16 of 16
Bad idea, as the load to the amplifier will increase. Not to mention speaker placement is critical. Better speakers will answer your needs.


MAK
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: 2 Channel Audio
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › 2 Channel Audio › Using 2 sets of Stereo Speakers for Stereo Sound?