I think rusky_g nailed the placement of this title. I know GRG had recommended the bottom of Tier 0, but there were a few areas of concern that preclude elevating this to the Top Tier.
Let's get those out of the way pronto! I can think of three:
1) During scenes with orange hues flesh tones were robbed of their natural look.
2) A couple of nighttime scenes, early in the movie, were a wee bit on the murky side. This was most evident by the *black* bars, which were actually a very "dark gray."
3) In a couple of nighttime scenes the blacks were so dark that shadow details suffered.
Now for the positive:
1) This was one very SHARP Blu with tons of CLARITY.
2) BLACK LEVELS and SHADOW DETAILS were phenomenal in most nighttime and dark scenes (and let me tell you this describes a majority of the movie).
3) COLORS were really punchy. Many scenes in Tokyo featured over-saturated colors, but they didn't rob us of realism (for the Japanese do LOVE strong & vibrant colors).
4) FLESH TONES were quite pleasing in all scenes without color-grading.
5) DEPTH was, on occasion, amazing!
6) FACIAL DETAILS were exemplary!
This will certainly make its way to many "demo shelves," including mine!
Tier Recommendation: 1.0*
Viewed from 7.5' using the equipment listed below....
Edited by djoberg - 12/14/13 at 4:07pm