or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › Plasma Flat Panel Displays › The Official Pioneer 8G KURO Owner's Discussions Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The Official Pioneer 8G KURO Owner's Discussions Thread - Page 4

post #91 of 17538
Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Nice View Post

I just looked in the manual. I see no mention of the "reversed picture image" for sidebars. It looks as if they got rid of it.

Most owners, including myself, never used that feature anyway.

If you really want the "reversed picture image" for sidebars, I'll be more than happy to trade one of my 1130s for your 5080

Link to the manual please?
post #92 of 17538
Quote:
Originally Posted by valoidr View Post

Link to the manual please?

There isn't one yet, and I'm not allowed to post mine yet.
post #93 of 17538
Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Nice View Post

A few people have them. Most are actually watching the sets instead of posting on AVS.

Thank you for your explanation.
post #94 of 17538
Quote:
Originally Posted by alwynwilliams View Post

Thank you for your explanation.

You're welcome. You seem to not understand why other owners haven't posted their experience yet. If they would rather spend time watching the set first instead of giving minute by minute updates on their experience, can you blame them???

That goes for any owner of any set.
post #95 of 17538
Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Nice View Post

I just looked in the manual. I see no mention of the "reversed picture image" for sidebars. It looks as if they got rid of it.

Most owners, including myself, never used that feature anyway.

If you really want the "reversed picture image" for sidebars, I'll be more than happy to trade one of my 1130s for your 5080

Yep - the 8050 manual doesn't mention the "reversed picture image", but neither did the manual for the 5070 (it instead references to the automatic brightness) - although it supported it. I never understood this.
It'd be a nice surprise to find this option in the service menu (if it was implemented but disabled), but all I could find was the manual setting for the brightness of the fixed gray side masks. I know, I know: wishful thinking...
post #96 of 17538
Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Nice View Post

There isn't one yet, and I'm not allowed to post mine yet.

And this is because.....?? Is it not posted somewhere - I was under the impression you have not acquired one [set] yet?
post #97 of 17538
it isn't posted anywhere and the person I got it from has not given me permission to post it online.

If you cannot understand that........ well I'm sorry.
post #98 of 17538
Yes, I blame them all!!!. They should be on here giving us updates every hour or so and not being so selfish.
post #99 of 17538
Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Nice View Post

it isn't posted anywhere and the person I got it from has not given me permission to post it online.

If you cannot understand that........ well I'm sorry.

easy bucko - we all appreciate your objective observations here and your posts are obviously much appreciated here!
post #100 of 17538
Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Nice View Post

A few people have them. Most are actually watching the sets instead of posting on AVS.

They'll be back, posting Monday on their bosses dime.

ps: I desperately desire one of those "not enough to do, so I'll kill time on the internet" jobs.
post #101 of 17538
I'm just curious to know how much of a jump are these plasma verse current gen plasmas? Just how much better are they? Is it a huge jump?
post #102 of 17538
yes, most who have compared them say it's a dramatic leap in quality. But one man's 20% better is another man's 150% better.. hard to put a number on it, really.
post #103 of 17538
Does anyone know when the PDP-5080HD will be in stores? I would really like to compare with my own eyes. I already have a TH-50PX50U and was think about getting one of theses for my other living room. Would I see a big difference? Sorry if I'm posting this in the wrong thread.
post #104 of 17538
Quote:
Originally Posted by plasmaowner View Post

Would I see a big difference?

If you can see the difference in the picture below (58PX60U vs 4280), your answer is yes:

post #105 of 17538
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperVision2010 View Post

Good question.

I am now realizing that it (currently) may not be without some black-crush.

I started to calibrate with Joe Kane's HD-DVD cal. disc (Blockbuster on-line) and it seemed I had to raise brightness some , recovering dark scene details, but losing some of the richness of blacks. As it was, in default std.mode, even some dark greens of NESN-HD ballpark scenes in Arizona last night tended to look black. Raising brightness normalized the color but again,I clearly need to dial this panel in before further comment.
I think the picture I posted may have masked any black-crush as there really weren't any shades of grey represented there, just black and white.

One thing for certain though, if you are considering the 6010, it will be slightly more reflective than the Panny, I have noticed. Also, the PIO screen filter seems to be polarized as it shows a very slight shift in light output when moving around the room (something I have never seen is a plasma before); only in vertical direction, as when getting up from seated position.

Joe Kanes calibration disc is without audio cues , so I am struggling a little with it.
More to come...

I've never owned a Pioneer set and only checked out the user menu once on the 6070 but perhaps black corrector is turned on my 'default'. Black correctors typically enhance black levels but cause black crush. If black corrector is turned on (i'm assuming there is one), then turning it off should help. I wouldn't think this TV would really need that turned on in most cases due to the deep black levels it already has.
post #106 of 17538
I have two questions and hope I'm asking in the right area.

Any image retention on these sets? (4280/5080)

And what does the PLUS color filter of the Elites do, exactly? What difference is made with it?

Like many of you, I'm interested in the upcoming 60" model of these 8th generation Pioneers.
post #107 of 17538
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrandMasterJ View Post

I have two questions and hope I'm asking in the right area.

Any image retention on these sets? (4280/5080)

And what does the PLUS color filter of the Elites do, exactly? What difference is made with it?

Like many of you, I'm interested in the upcoming 60" model of these 8th generation Pioneers.

Last I heard there will be 3 threads for the 8g PDP's....when - soon to be announced I think?
post #108 of 17538
Anyone has tested if those new 8 gen pio plasma supports 1:1 pixel mapping over hdmi ? 7'th generation didn't do that
post #109 of 17538
Quote:
Originally Posted by stenvik View Post

Anyone has tested if those new 8 gen pio plasma supports 1:1 pixel mapping over hdmi ? 7'th generation didn't do that

The 1080p models will have it over HDMI and the 768p will also have it but only using the VGA (PC Input) not over HDMI.
post #110 of 17538
So, is service menu access reached via the same codes? It sounds as if black bars will not be available from the start once again and I'll have to go in and set the side bar RGB values to 0.

I can't stand anything outside of black side bars...
post #111 of 17538
Quote:
Originally Posted by dark1x View Post

So, is service menu access reached via the same codes? It sounds as if black bars will not be available from the start once again and I'll have to go in and set the side bar RGB values to 0.

I can't stand anything outside of black side bars...

Yes, the service menu is accessed via the same codes: put tv on standby, press display, wait 3 seconds, press left, up, left right and turn the tv on. Mute is used for navigating through pages, in addition to the directional keys.

Yes, pre-set side bars are gray (115 is default value), but you can set them to 0 and turn them totally black.

Speaking of side bars, I discovered that the bars detection for automatic widezoom setting is still active after coming out of the OSTG menu, only it takes an incredibly long time to kick in: 5/10 minutes versus the regular few seconds. A weird oversight, but at least it's doing it.

I still dream of b/w soft-focused side bars. And winning the lottery.
post #112 of 17538
garnisco3,

How are the blacks at night?
post #113 of 17538
Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Nice View Post

If you can see the difference in the picture below (58PX60U vs 4280), your answer is yes:


Two things. I'm glad you posted that was the 58PX60U and not the 58PZ700U (which I thought it was initially for some reason). Second, That 58" doesn't look almost 2x bigger (in area) than the 42". I know they aren't at the same depth, but I thought it would look significantly bigger.
post #114 of 17538
Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Nice View Post

garnisco3,

How are the blacks at night?

Well, last night I watched tv before falling asleep; truth to be told, though, I had just came home and had plenty of alcool running through my veins, so I can't be too scientific, but I can most definitely say that the blacks were remarkably dark - to the point that you can stop worrying about them.
Yesterday afternoon I noticed that Dr. Phil was wearing a pin-striped suit (I think that it could appear as a black suit on a mediocre set). And the shades of black in it were remarkable.
Again, I haven't done any calibration, so there's going to be plenty of more love to give to the set, after I do that.

D-Nice - since you said that you don't use the soft-focus b/w side masks for your tv, how do you watch 4:3 material, when you do?
post #115 of 17538
I use the Cinema stretch feature. Sometimes (depending on the score ticker) I use Wide.
post #116 of 17538
I uploaded some pics of the livingroom and bedroom equipment (see below). I still think the 4360 in the bedroom is fantastic. The blacklevels are noticeably better on the 5080, but to my eye not 80% better than the 4360. This could be due to the fact that the living room gets a lot of direct sunlight (south facing NYC apt) and the bedroom is in the back (north facing).

A couple basic observations on the 5080. Out of the box it is already attached to the stand. When I bought the 4360 I remember setting up the stand. the speaker on the 5080 is packaged separately (not connected out of box) and is now in storage in the basement.

The settings I mentioned in my last post seem to be optimal, especially for HD. SD quality is good, but not as great as I hoped.

In the livingroom:
PDP-5080
Onkyo SR600
Oppo 981
SA8300

In the bedroom:
PDP-4360 w/ media rec
Pioneer DV-490V-S
SA8300

http://www.kodakgallery.com/I.jsp?c=...a&x=0&y=ukx7yf
post #117 of 17538
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magic(tm) View Post

The 1080p models will have it over HDMI and the 768p will also have it but only using the VGA (PC Input) not over HDMI.

You have link where this is confirmed ? Or someone has experienced this ?
post #118 of 17538
The specs say the feature is only for the PC input and that is what people are repeating, but the FHD1 specs say the same thing yet it will nevertheless do dot-by-dot on HDMI and Component . Of course the FHD1 is a 1080P unit and things could be different here, so the jury is still out.
post #119 of 17538
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottsol View Post

The specs say the feature is only for the PC input and that is what people are repeating, but the FHD1 specs say the same thing yet it will nevertheless do dot-by-dot on HDMI and Component . Of course the FHD1 is a 1080P unit and things could be different here, so the jury is still out.

Yikes. I hope it's in the 768's just without being noted as well.
post #120 of 17538
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottsol View Post

The specs say the feature is only for the PC input and that is what people are repeating, but the FHD1 specs say the same thing yet it will nevertheless do dot-by-dot on HDMI and Component . Of course the FHD1 is a 1080P unit and things could be different here, so the jury is still out.

Mind sharing where the link is for the 5080 specs? Sets available; however no specs/owners manual links available
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Plasma Flat Panel Displays
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › Plasma Flat Panel Displays › The Official Pioneer 8G KURO Owner's Discussions Thread