or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › Plasma Flat Panel Displays › The Official Pioneer 8G Kuro Settings/Issues Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The Official Pioneer 8G Kuro Settings/Issues Thread - Page 357

post #10681 of 12870
Just wondering if anyone has had any experience with the Datacolor Spyder3TV Calibration Unit. I have used this brand (different model) on my computer LCDs and it works pretty good. Just wondering how it would work on a plasma TV.
post #10682 of 12870
Quote:
Originally Posted by jddesigned View Post

Without reading back to far may I ask what you've settled on?

Going back would have only frustrated you, as I haven't stated my current preference publicly. I just commented how they both looked great, but different, even after separately adjusting each to a 6500K grayscale in the SM.

I've gone back and forth, trying each for weeks at a time. As of now, I have gone back to Mid, which to me seems to adapt better to a wider variety of programing. I considered staying with Low for Blu-Ray movies (since it is set independently anyway), but for now I'm using Mid there, too.

All subject to change...
post #10683 of 12870
Quote:
Originally Posted by FINN360 View Post

"my 1150hd max operating temp. shows 104deg from owner's manual"

daniel'son, Have you actually seen fans in your 1150? I've asked this before and haven't gotten an answer but I don't see any fans when looking through the vents in mine. It doesn't really put out much heat either so I'm wondering if heat dissipation is accomplished differently in the Elites.

.. no, mine has no fans either; rather odd that they would make an entry in the User's manual concerning fan noise when there are none in the 1150HD. Maybe lead-in on manual is generic for all models. Yes, the heat dissipation on mine is also moderate plus I keep my home temp. comfortable at 75-76deg. It must be a really good heatsink.
post #10684 of 12870
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadCityBrad View Post


Has anyone else had this problem?
(Mathesar does this sound like your problem? And what are they doing to fix it?)

Unplugging it for a few minutes did not correct the problem.

Thanks,
Brad

My problem was only related to the antenna (coax) inputs on the tv, I had audio on all channels but no video (black screen), unplugging it for a few minutes fixed it.

Since this will be your second repair it makes me wonder if the DVR is somehow sending to much voltage to the TV.. I mean what are the chances of the same input failing twice?

Then again Im no technician.
post #10685 of 12870
Ok thanks for the info - I can see several large heatsinks in there and they're doing a good job!
post #10686 of 12870
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathesar View Post

My problem was only related to the antenna (coax) inputs on the tv, I had audio on all channels but no video (black screen), unplugging it for a few minutes fixed it.

Since this will be your second repair it makes me wonder if the DVR is somehow sending to much voltage to the TV.. I mean what are the chances of the same input failing twice?

Then again Im no technician.

Well I'll find out soon enough. The store ordered another new circuit board.
The store and Pioneer talked and decided to replace the same circuit board again. So apparently Pioneer thinks that they have diagnosed the problem circuits.

If it is my DVR (a Motorola Moxi which I have had from Charter for almost 4 years now.) I wonder how they will determine that? (It did not damage my old RCA analog tv)
post #10687 of 12870
looks like i'll have to take my tv apart to confirm. i posted the same question a while back and the answer (posts 15385,6 in the link) was yes there are fans.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...1#post13951661

i have not been able to see them and i have never heard them come on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by daniel'son View Post

.. no, mine has no fans either; rather odd that they would make an entry in the User's manual concerning fan noise when there are none in the 1150HD. Maybe lead-in on manual is generic for all models. Yes, the heat dissipation on mine is also moderate plus I keep my home temp. comfortable at 75-76deg. It must be a really good heatsink.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathesar View Post

Does the 5080 use any fans? Ive never heard any fan noise in the 6 months ive had it. Just curious.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jet757f View Post

Should be the same as the 5010 regarding fans.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FINN360 View Post

"my 1150hd max operating temp. shows 104deg from owner's manual"

daniel'son, Have you actually seen fans in your 1150? I've asked this before and haven't gotten an answer but I don't see any fans when looking through the vents in mine. It doesn't really put out much heat either so I'm wondering if heat dissipation is accomplished differently in the Elites.
post #10688 of 12870
Quote:
Originally Posted by jet757f View Post

Just wondering if anyone has had any experience with the Datacolor Spyder3TV Calibration Unit. I have used this brand (different model) on my computer LCDs and it works pretty good. Just wondering how it would work on a plasma TV.

Very inaccurate and inconsistent readings. Stay away...

A_C
post #10689 of 12870
Quote:
Originally Posted by drgkja View Post

looks like i'll have to take my tv apart to confirm. i posted the same question a while back and the answer (posts 15385,6 in the link) was yes there are fans.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...1#post13951661

i have not been able to see them and i have never heard them come on.

I just did a pretty good inspection through the back and top vents of my 5080 with a maglite and all I see are numerous large heatsinks, No fans.
post #10690 of 12870
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathesar View Post

I just did a pretty good inspection through the back and top vents of my 5080 with a maglite and all I see are numerous large heatsinks, No fans.

.. maybe the 60"er's have them due to size (of course) & 50's are able to disperse heat adequately. (or) they're hidden somewhere in there though I won't be doing any exploratory, what's the point .. i'd screw it up & have to call Pioneer for service.
post #10691 of 12870
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathesar View Post

I just did a pretty good inspection through the back and top vents of my 5080 with a maglite and all I see are numerous large heatsinks, No fans.

When they repair my 5080 they have to take off the entire back panel.
If I remember, I'll look for fans and report back.

Brad
post #10692 of 12870
Quote:
Originally Posted by jet757f View Post

Yes we can only hope.

As I mentioned someone on this forum had a firmware update done by Pioneer due to problems with fans not coming on and causing damage.


If you look back on that part of the thread; you'll find that Pioneer says there's no such issue or corresponding firmware update.

Just a hairball some repair tech coughed up, apparently.

A_C
post #10693 of 12870
Quote:
Originally Posted by daniel'son View Post

.. maybe the 60"er's have them due to size (of course) & 50's are able to disperse heat adequately. (or) they're hidden somewhere in there though I won't be doing any exploratory, what's the point .. i'd screw it up & have to call Pioneer for service.

Im looking at the wiring diagrams/pictures in the 5010 service manual and it shows 3 small fans at the top. They look to be the same size as computer CPU fan.

So I look on the back of my 5010 and sure enough they are there. They seem to be mounted right to the vent of the back case.

SO logically I would think they would also be on the 5080. Well guess what............no fans on the 5080.

This is really strange. Is there a great difference in wattage and heat between the 5080 and 5010??

Im trying to understand the logic.
post #10694 of 12870
Quote:
Originally Posted by jet757f View Post

Im looking at the wiring diagrams/pictures in the 5010 service manual and it shows 3 small fans at the top. They look to be the same size as computer CPU fan.

So I look on the back of my 5010 and sure enough they are there. They seem to be mounted right to the vent of the back case.

SO logically I would think they would also be on the 5080. Well guess what............no fans on the 5080.

This is really strange. Is there a great difference in wattage and heat between the 5080 and 5010??

Im trying to understand the logic.

.. could be a 1080 thing (and/or) extra circulating measure for new(er) ones; when you hear the fans, you must acquit .. whoops, wrong analogy
post #10695 of 12870
Quote:
Originally Posted by daniel'son View Post

.. could be a 1080 thing (and/or) extra circulating measure for new(er) ones; when you hear the fans, you must acquit .. whoops, wrong analogy

It almost has to have something to do with the 1080. It wouldnt be the case because the 5080 and 5010 are the same size and same case. Both of mine were manufacturered around the same time.
post #10696 of 12870
Quote:
Originally Posted by jet757f View Post

Well guess what............no fans on the 5080.

Per the 5080 Service Manual, there is one fan on the 5080, located on the "multi-base" section.
post #10697 of 12870
Quote:
Originally Posted by p59teitel View Post

Per the 5080 Service Manual, there is one fan on the 5080, located on the "multi-base" section.

I dont have the service manual for the 5080 but could not see any through the top vents of the 5080. So that is interesting that it just has one fan.
post #10698 of 12870
Hi fellow - kuro elites!

I am new here and have read about 100 of the 300+ pages struggling to find what i'm looking for.

I'm sure this has been asked before, so forgive me.

I'm looking for the optimal settings for the PRO150FD.


I saw D's recommendations on this first thread but that was for break in.

I also have the following settings noted:
Updated 4/12/2008


1.) Pioneer Elite 110FD/150FD Day Settings
2.) Pioneer Elite 110FD/150FD Reference Settings


Are these the optimal settings?

If not can someone post a link to get my TV tuned!


Thanks in advance!
post #10699 of 12870
The 1150HD has one fan.
post #10700 of 12870
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikelkuro View Post

Hi fellow - kuro elites!

I am new here and have read about 100 of the 300+ pages struggling to find what i'm looking for.

I'm sure this has been asked before, so forgive me.

I'm looking for the optimal settings for the PRO150FD.


I saw D's recommendations on this first thread but that was for break in.

I also have the following settings noted:
Updated 4/12/2008


1.) Pioneer Elite 110FD/150FD Day Settings
2.) Pioneer Elite 110FD/150FD Reference Settings


Are these the optimal settings?

If not can someone post a link to get my TV tuned!


Thanks in advance!

Those are exactly what you want for post break-in. They are close to perfect.
post #10701 of 12870
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikelkuro View Post

.....'m looking for the optimal settings for the PRO150FD.
I saw D's recommendations on this first thread but that was for break in.
I also have the following settings noted:
Updated 4/12/2008
1.) Pioneer Elite 110FD/150FD Day Settings
2.) Pioneer Elite 110FD/150FD Reference Settings
Are these the optimal settings?
If not can someone post a link to get my TV tuned! Thanks in advance!

welcome and congrats on the new Pro150.

yes D nice's recommended day/reference settings on page one post #6 are an excellent start for settings to use on your new Pro150 and you can always change them as you see fit.
post #10702 of 12870
Quote:
Originally Posted by p59teitel View Post

Per the 5080 Service Manual, there is one fan on the 5080, located on the "multi-base" section.

Anyway this is some more information on the 5010 fans.
I have been reading the service manual and found there are actually 4 fans on the 5010. Three external fans which can be seen at the top and one internal fan.

The fans are variable and there is a chart which gives temperatures.
Looks like they would come at low speed around 96.8F. High speed on the external around 116F. The internal fan has different temps.

Also I found this kind of interesting. The panel itself has temperature protection by plasma discharge which lowers the plasma count which in turn lowers brightness.

Also protection against panel cracking. Apparently even a bright window on the panel can cause enough of a difference in temperature in that area which then again it protects itself with plasma discharge.

Im just wondering if all of the plasma TVs from various manufacturers have all of this protection or is Pioneer the only one that takes this much precaution.
post #10703 of 12870
Sounds like the 5080 has the internal fan. I'll grab a flashlight later tonight and see whether I can spot it through an opening.
post #10704 of 12870
Somewhere in Japan, some Pioneer engineers are reading this thread, knocking back some sake, and laughing their asses off...
post #10705 of 12870
does the service manual tell you what is this "multi-base" section and where on earth (IM 5080) it is located?


Quote:
Originally Posted by p59teitel View Post

Per the 5080 Service Manual, there is one fan on the 5080, located on the "multi-base" section.
post #10706 of 12870
i have a 7G 60" (6070) and after several tries with a (flash light) i have not been able to see any. of course this does not mean there aren't any. even if there are fans, i have never heard one running.

Quote:
Originally Posted by daniel'son View Post

.. maybe the 60"er's have them due to size (of course) & 50's are able to disperse heat adequately. (or) they're hidden somewhere in there though I won't be doing any exploratory, what's the point .. i'd screw it up & have to call Pioneer for service.
post #10707 of 12870
if you do, please post or send me a pm thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by p59teitel View Post

Sounds like the 5080 has the internal fan. I'll grab a flashlight later tonight and see whether I can spot it through an opening.
post #10708 of 12870
Quote:
Originally Posted by drgkja View Post

if you do, please post or send me a pm thanks

Here's the link where you can download the 5080 Service Manual.

The diagram showing where the fan is located on the chassis is on page 166. There's another reference to the fan on page 171 in the multi-base diagram, but I think it's just some sort of wiring clip.

Anyway, I'll be damned if I can find it by looking through the vent holes wih a flashlight. The diagrams show it somewhere just to the left of the power supply when looking at the display from the back, but I can't find it. Good luck!
post #10709 of 12870
What's this? An amazing find! It's an elusive Kuro Fan! Many will speak of it but few will ever witness its beauty. Careful not to spook it or it may run off, never to be seen again!

post #10710 of 12870
Ah yes there is one of the fans. Thanks for the pic. I wonder if they are using the higher quality ball bearing fan over the sleeve type.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Plasma Flat Panel Displays
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › Plasma Flat Panel Displays › The Official Pioneer 8G Kuro Settings/Issues Thread