or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › Plasma Flat Panel Displays › The Official Pioneer 8G Kuro Settings/Issues Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The Official Pioneer 8G Kuro Settings/Issues Thread - Page 359

post #10741 of 12870
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Agent_C View Post

Q: Why are there 2 RGB settings for each color? What distinguishes high from low?

Here’s why I’m asking;

I’m abundantly happy with the picture on my 5010, except for a pinkish-red blush on the flesh tones. I applied the recommended settings for an approximate 6500K calibration and it just didn’t look right; too dark, with a reddish-yellow cast.

I ended up with the following:



It’s close to what I want, but doesn’t have the strikingly accurate flesh tones that the Sony XBR4 has.

Any recommendations?

A_C

First and formost, only reducing the R Low control isn't going to aliviate anything. It actually makes things worse.

There are RGB High and RGB Low controls as the grayscale goes from 0-100IRE (Stimuli). The High controls have more impact on 50-100IRE while RGB Low controls have more impact on 0-50IRE. On most displays, including the Kuros, you need both sets of controls to correct grayscale errors.
post #10742 of 12870
Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Nice View Post

First and formost, only reducing the R High control isn't going to aliviate anything. It actually makes things worse.

There are RGB High and RGB Low controls as the grayscale goes from 0-100IRE (Stimuli). The High controls have more impact on 50-100IRE while RGB Low controls have more impact on 0-50IRE. On most displays, including the Kuros, you need both sets of controls to correct grayscale errors.

Thanks for that info. Just one thing though; I only adjusted R-LOW, not High. It toned down the red blush considerably, just leaves the flesh tones with a little more to be desired.

A_C
post #10743 of 12870
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Agent_C View Post

Thanks for that info. Just one thing though; I only adjusted R-LOW, not High. It toned down the red blush considerably, just leaves the flesh tones with a little more to be desired.

A_C

Sorry...typo. I've corrected my post. Flesh tones can be corrected using a combo of High controls
post #10744 of 12870
Quote:
Originally Posted by Agent_C View Post

Q: Why are there 2 RGB settings for each color? What distinguishes high from low?

Here's why I'm asking;

I'm abundantly happy with the picture on my 5010, except for a pinkish-red blush on the flesh tones. I applied the recommended settings for an approximate 6500K calibration and it just didn't look right; too dark, with a reddish-yellow cast.

I ended up with the following:



It's close to what I want, but doesn't have the strikingly accurate flesh tones that the Sony XBR4 has.

Any recommendations?

A_C

Try this;

R-high: 243
G-high: 251
B-high: 223

R-low: 500
G-low: 512
B-low: 499

Mid color temp. only.
User mode with color set at -10

See if this helps.
post #10745 of 12870
Quote:
Originally Posted by petmic10 View Post

Try this;

R-high: 243
G-high: 251
B-high: 223

R-low: 500
G-low: 512
B-low: 499

Mid color temp. only.
User mode with color set at -10

See if this helps.


Thanks; are you sure about that B-High figure though?

A_C
post #10746 of 12870
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by petmic10 View Post

Try this;

R-high: 243
G-high: 251
B-high: 223

R-low: 500
G-low: 512
B-low: 499

Mid color temp. only.
User mode with color set at -10

See if this helps.

All panels have slightly different SM RGB settings. It would be best if you only gave him the offsets
post #10747 of 12870
Need some help with what settings folks with an 1150 and Motorola STB are using. I am using D-Nice reference settings with contrast 30, sharpness -10 and DRE - Low. The picture was amazing until I decided to compare it to my cable card input and the difference between the STB picture and cable card is significant. The STB has a much grayer look to the whites and a darker overall picture. The CC picture is much brighter and sharper without the whites having the gray shading. The CC picture was definitely better while watching the NBA finals last night, but otherwise the STB picture is less overblown with better skin tones and overall more realistic except for the gray whites. Is there a better setting to remove the grayness from the whites in the STB picture?

This is starting to get complicated.
post #10748 of 12870
Having an intermittent issue with my 4280. I am not connected to a cable box, use the cable card. I had the same cable card in another tv before this one and never had this issue. When I switch channels, there are times when the channel I switch to stays black with no sound. Then if I hit the channel up button then go back to the station it comes on. If i switch channels really quick it seems to occur more, but last night just a normal switch of channels and it happened. Should I be concerned?
post #10749 of 12870
Quote:
Originally Posted by colonel7 View Post

Having an intermittent issue with my 4280. I am not connected to a cable box, use the cable card. I had the same cable card in another tv before this one and never had this issue. When I switch channels, there are times when the channel I switch to stays black with no sound. Then if I hit the channel up button then go back to the station it comes on. If i switch channels really quick it seems to occur more, but last night just a normal switch of channels and it happened. Should I be concerned?

This happened to me (4280) for the first time last night. It's my cable box for sure, switched channel and then back and all was fine. My cable service is hit and miss as it is.
post #10750 of 12870
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Brian View Post

I have a Pro-150 fd, and a quick question. Does the Kuro show "24p" or something like it on the screen when it's getting that signal? I have a new Blu-ray player, the Samsung 1500, and when I push 'display' on the Kuro remote, it only shows "Pure" and "1080p". I had a Panasonic BD30 a while ago, and I swear that my Kuro showed something like "24p" back then. Maybe I just remember incorrectly...

Quote:
Originally Posted by FINN360 View Post

That's a known quirk with the 8G Kuros. If you want to check whether it's getting the desired signal, go into your HDMI settings in the Kuro's user menu and change that input to PC. You will then be able to see 1080p24 to verify, then switch the input back, don't leave it set to PC.

In regard to the second part of your question, Mr. Brian, you did remember the screen message correctly, but it was your BD30 that was displaying the "24p" on your screen, not your Kuro.
post #10751 of 12870
Quote:
Originally Posted by colonel7 View Post

Having an intermittent issue with my 4280. I am not connected to a cable box, use the cable card. I had the same cable card in another tv before this one and never had this issue. When I switch channels, there are times when the channel I switch to stays black with no sound. Then if I hit the channel up button then go back to the station it comes on. If i switch channels really quick it seems to occur more, but last night just a normal switch of channels and it happened. Should I be concerned?

Speaking of Cable Cards, I just started using one in my 5080. Do you use the TV Guide On Screen feature with your CC? If so, do you get all of the channels. I get most of mine, but that's annoying. You never know if you're missing a channel, unless you know for sure that it exists. I wonder if that's TV Guide's fault or if it's a setting?

I guess I'm spoiled with the normal program guide FIOS provides with their STB's but I'd still love to get the TV Guide working 100%.
post #10752 of 12870
Quote:
Originally Posted by 26kick View Post

Speaking of Cable Cards, I just started using one in my 5080. Do you use the TV Guide On Screen feature with your CC? If so, do you get all of the channels. I get most of mine, but that's annoying. You never know if you're missing a channel, unless you know for sure that it exists. I wonder if that's TV Guide's fault or if it's a setting?

I guess I'm spoiled with the normal program guide FIOS provides with their STB's but I'd still love to get the TV Guide working 100%.


I have been using the cable card on my 5010 and have noticed the same problem. I had all of the stations when have not been getting the new ones that the cable company has been installing. I had to add them manually but still dont get the title or info on it. Im not sure if this has to do with the new 2 way system.

Maybe if I go through the setup again on the TV guide it might fix it but I havent tried that yet.
post #10753 of 12870
Quote:
Originally Posted by jet757f View Post

I have been using the cable card on my 5010 and have noticed the same problem. I had all of the stations when have not been getting the new ones that the cable company has been installing. I had to add them manually but still dont get the title or info on it. Im not sure if this has to do with the new 2 way system.

Maybe if I go through the setup again on the TV guide it might fix it but I havent tried that yet.

I've done the setup several times and it hasn't changed the missing channels
post #10754 of 12870
Quote:
Originally Posted by 26kick View Post

I've done the setup several times and it hasn't changed the missing channels

I've also called Pioneer on this topic and the tech wasn't really very familiar with the TV Guide feature.

We need a guru to either tell us whether we can get all of the channels or if it'll always be like this.
post #10755 of 12870
Quote:
Originally Posted by 26kick View Post

I've also called Pioneer on this topic and the tech wasn't really very familiar with the TV Guide feature.

We need a guru to either tell us whether we can get all of the channels or if it'll always be like this.


Well that is interesting. I have just added the missing channels to my favorites that way I can pull them up.
post #10756 of 12870
Quote:
Originally Posted by jet757f View Post

Well that is interesting. I have just added the missing channels to my favorites that way I can pull them up.

Do you get program information?
post #10757 of 12870
Quote:
Originally Posted by 26kick View Post

Do you get program information?

No that is the problem. I can add the missing channels but no program info. Have to check the TV guide on my computer to see what is on those channels.
post #10758 of 12870
Quote:
Originally Posted by Agent_C View Post

Q: Why are there 2 RGB settings for each color? What distinguishes high from low?

Here's why I'm asking;

I'm abundantly happy with the picture on my 5010, except for a pinkish-red blush on the flesh tones. I applied the recommended settings for an approximate 6500K calibration and it just didn't look right; too dark, with a reddish-yellow cast.

I ended up with the following:



It's close to what I want, but doesn't have the strikingly accurate flesh tones that the Sony XBR4 has.

Any recommendations?

A_C


Did you try D-Nice offsets? I have the 5010 and the offsets will get you close to 6500K and remove the red skin tones while also giving you a more 3D picture and better dark detail. If you are not happy with D-Nice offsets try IKEB offsets, his is for the 5080, but will work for the 5010, as according to D-Nice all 8G non elite are within a certain %.
post #10759 of 12870
Can anyone tell me what the difference is with the Black Level being off or on? I know it's supposed to be off (well, according to D-Nice) but I'm still curious. It's the only setting that doesn't seem to have any visible difference for me.
post #10760 of 12870
Can a cable card be used with an STB connected at the same time?

If so, how are the connections made?
1. STB HDMI to HDMI of the panel and
2. Coax cable to ANT/CABLE A IN terminal?

Then one can either watch through the Cable box on HDMI input or throught the Cable Card just by changing the inputs?
post #10761 of 12870
Quote:
Originally Posted by ikeb View Post

blue ray - in user
+35
+3
-7
1R
-11
adv
off
mid
off
on
2
1
mid
off
low
off

blue ray - movie
+37
+1
+2
R1
-11
adv
off
mid
off
on
2
1
mid
off
low
off

dtv - user
+35
+2
-13
0
-11
standard
off
mid
off
on
2
1
mid
off
low
off

i am not a purist in the strictest sense - so some of these setting are just personal taste after screwing with this thing for 8 months

ikeb.... the above settings are for the offsets you made for the 60VS correct? I know you made different changes to the 50VS which I am using but I was wondering what settings you are using for 50VS or are you using the settings for both 50VS and 60VS. Thanks.
post #10762 of 12870
Quote:
Originally Posted by avs2avs View Post

Can a cable card be used with an STB connected at the same time?

If so, how are the connections made?
1. STB HDMI to HDMI of the panel and
2. Coax cable to ANT/CABLE A IN terminal?

Then one can either watch through the Cable box on HDMI input or throught the Cable Card just by changing the inputs?

My 1150 has P-I-P and P-A-P so to utilize this functionality I have a CC with coax run to ANT A and the STB via component to Input 2. As you said I can also just switch inputs to watch via CC or STB.
post #10763 of 12870
Quote:
Originally Posted by Russ1150 View Post

My 1150 has P-I-P and P-A-P so to utilize this functionality I have a CC with coax run to ANT A and the STB via component to Input 2. As you said I can also just switch inputs to watch via CC or STB.

Thanks Russ,
I also have an 1150 which I'm "cooking" as we speak... only 60 or so hours left, I think
7G Pioneers had a problem with the TVGOS (TV Guide On Screen) system, and a lot of people weren't even turning them on or simply turning them off thereafter.
Do the 8G panels have similar problem or can the TVGOS be used without any worries?
post #10764 of 12870
Quote:
Originally Posted by avs2avs View Post

Thanks Russ,
I also have an 1150 which I'm "cooking" as we speak... only 60 or so hours left, I think
7G Pioneers had a problem with the TVGOS (TV Guide On Screen) system, and a lot of people weren't even turning them on or simply turning them off thereafter.
Do the 8G panels have similar problem or can the TVGOS be used without any worries?

I have never turned it on as I heard too many negative issues. Besides the FiOS guide is more than adequate.
post #10765 of 12870
Thanks Russ.

To all the 8G owners who are using the TV Guide On Screen system, are you having any problems?
post #10766 of 12870
there is known issue about cablecards adn 5080 though i am not sure if the 4280 uses the same hardware.

on my 5080 the cablecard did not work out of the box and the cable co tried many cards. and i know of at least one more person reporting the same problem. the fix was pio sent a tech and he replaced the lower ribbon cable connecting the cablecard pcb to the main board.

if you talk to pio, they should know of this.

about missing channels, many cable cos are rearranging (in general making it worse) channels to get ready for the digital transition. in our area (cablevison) several channels have been eliminated or moved. the ribbon cable will not fix that problem

added: as jet757 said, you can add some channels manually


Quote:
Originally Posted by colonel7 View Post

Having an intermittent issue with my 4280. I am not connected to a cable box, use the cable card. I had the same cable card in another tv before this one and never had this issue. When I switch channels, there are times when the channel I switch to stays black with no sound. Then if I hit the channel up button then go back to the station it comes on. If i switch channels really quick it seems to occur more, but last night just a normal switch of channels and it happened. Should I be concerned?
post #10767 of 12870
Quote:
Originally Posted by Agent_C View Post

Thanks; are you sure about that B-High figure though?

A_C


When using the MID color temp., absolutely.


Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Nice View Post

All panels have slightly different SM RGB settings. It would be best if you only gave him the offsets

100% right.


Agent_C,

Add or subtract these offsets to your current RGB numbers.

R-high: +3
G-high: 0
B-high: -10

R-low: -12
G-low: 0
B-low: -13

Remember, use the Mid color temperature only with the above
offsets.
post #10768 of 12870
Newb question here...have gotten the courage to enter the service menu and apply some offsets - do I have to do this for each input or will I only need to change them once and they will be applied to all inputs.

Thanks!
post #10769 of 12870
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccpedl View Post

Newb question here...have gotten the courage to enter the service menu and apply some offsets - do I have to do this for each input or will I only need to change them once and they will be applied to all inputs.

Thanks!

The SM changes are universal, except if you have a 24fps (Blu-Ray, HD DVD) input, in which case you will have to make your changes for that separately. (The latter is the 50VS setting you may have seen referenced in recent posts.) Since the factory settings are likely to be different for the two, use the same offsets, not the same actual settings.
post #10770 of 12870
Quote:
Originally Posted by Russ1150 View Post

Need some help with what settings folks with an 1150 and Motorola STB are using. I am using D-Nice reference settings with contrast 30, sharpness -10 and DRE - Low. The picture was amazing until I decided to compare it to my cable card input and the difference between the STB picture and cable card is significant. The STB has a much grayer look to the whites and a darker overall picture. The CC picture is much brighter and sharper without the whites having the gray shading. The CC picture was definitely better while watching the NBA finals last night, but otherwise the STB picture is less overblown with better skin tones and overall more realistic except for the gray whites. Is there a better setting to remove the grayness from the whites in the STB picture?

This is starting to get complicated.

Bump - Anyone??
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Plasma Flat Panel Displays
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › Plasma Flat Panel Displays › The Official Pioneer 8G Kuro Settings/Issues Thread