or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › Plasma Flat Panel Displays › The Official Pioneer 8G Kuro Settings/Issues Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The Official Pioneer 8G Kuro Settings/Issues Thread - Page 288

post #8611 of 12870
Quote:
Originally Posted by htwaits View Post

You can check out these two calibrators at their web sites. Eliab is in your general area, and UMR may do tours to your area. UMR posts in the Kuro threads. His last post in this thread was two above yours.

Eliab's web site is:

http://www.avical.com/

UMR's web site is:

http://www.accucalhd.com/

There are owner's reports about their work in the two lists that are linked at the bottom of my post.

So how would I go about finding a good calibrator in Vermont?
post #8612 of 12870
Quote:
Originally Posted by TiVoHD View Post

So how would I go about finding a good calibrator in Vermont?

I would start be contacting UMR and Eliab to see if they work in your area. Use the links I just posted.

You can check this thread.

ISF Calibrators, where are you located? Please post here!

You can also check the directory here:

Imaging Science
post #8613 of 12870
UMR, I understand you don't give free advices but, if you could just tell if my technique is right I would be quite happy!
post #8614 of 12870
Quote:
Originally Posted by htwaits View Post

I would start be contacting UMR and Eliab to see if they work in your area. Use the links I just posted.

You can check this thread.

ISF Calibrators, where are you located? Please post here!

You can also check the directory here:

Imaging Science

Unfortunately, UMR is already booked for his next trip in this general direction.

That Imaging Science directory actually does show one person in my area. I can't seem to find a website for him, so I'll give him a call and see what his deal is. Thanks for the link!
post #8615 of 12870
Quote:
Originally Posted by TiVoHD View Post

Unfortunately, UMR is already booked for his next trip in this general direction.

That Imaging Science directory actually does show one person in my area. I can't seem to find a website for him, so I'll give him a call and see what his deal is. Thanks for the link!

Did you check with Eliab?
post #8616 of 12870
Quote:
Originally Posted by blutarsky View Post

UMR, I understand you don't give free advices but, if you could just tell if my technique is right I would be quite happy!

I would have to watch you and check your tools to know.
post #8617 of 12870
d-nice's rgb offsets for mid color temp (both rgb high and low modifications) have been running beautifully on my set for months now, i don't even bother looking for adjustment advice anymore

pure nirvana, don't know why more people don't try the settings?
post #8618 of 12870
Quote:
Originally Posted by boostfrenzy View Post

d-nice's rgb offsets for mid color temp (both rgb high and low modifications) have been running beautifully on my set for months now, i don't even bother looking for adjustment advice anymore

pure nirvana, don't know why more people don't try the settings?

This thread is 50" heavy. I've got a 60" 6010 Pio. I use D-Nices' settings because they came from a trusted source. I've been watching this display ( not counting 1 solid week of Break-in DVD ) for 4 days. There seems to be a "red " push. In some scenes very strong. What are my "options" that others have used? Thanks to anyone who takes time to help. Ray.
post #8619 of 12870
Quote:
Originally Posted by boostfrenzy View Post

d-nice's rgb offsets for mid color temp (both rgb high and low modifications) have been running beautifully on my set for months now, i don't even bother looking for adjustment advice anymore

pure nirvana, don't know why more people don't try the settings?

I didnt do the LOW RGB edits but I did do the HIGHS and added a few of my own tweaks. I am also very pleased with the results. I ended up taking B-HIGH down a little further than his original offset. That was the only other tweak I did. NICE!
post #8620 of 12870
Quote:
Originally Posted by htwaits View Post

Did you check with Eliab?

I just sent Eliab a PM. I called the one calibrator in my area, and he has apparently gone out of business.
post #8621 of 12870
Quote:
Originally Posted by boostfrenzy View Post

d-nice's rgb offsets for mid color temp (both rgb high and low modifications) have been running beautifully on my set for months now, i don't even bother looking for adjustment advice anymore

pure nirvana, don't know why more people don't try the settings?

what link can this be found?Iwould love to try it
post #8622 of 12870
Quote:
Originally Posted by woody0654 View Post

what link can this be found?Iwould love to try it

Check out posts 6778 (pg. 226) and 6813 (pg. 228) ...
post #8623 of 12870
Quote:
Originally Posted by TiVoHD View Post

I just sent Eliab a PM. I called the one calibrator in my area, and he has apparently gone out of business.

GONE OUT OF BUSINESS, are you kidding, I bet there was not enough business for him to stay.
post #8624 of 12870
swlee thanks!
post #8625 of 12870
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjre1 View Post

GONE OUT OF BUSINESS, are you kidding, I bet there was not enough business for him to stay.

No doubt. It's the curse of living in a small state. There isn't much competition for ANYTHING.
post #8626 of 12870
Quote:
Originally Posted by TiVoHD View Post

I just went through and set up User mode to match the D-Nice 5010 reference settings. But now the colors are WAY off. Everything looks yellow. It looks much better set to Standard. I've double checked that I didn't miss any of the settings. Why would this be? Is it possible that something in the service menu is way off?

Can you really use D-Nice settings as anything more than a stop gap until you get calibration? I've gone through 4 Elite sets and though 2 of them were similar, neither would be presumed to be at the same gray scale as D-Nice, so I must wait and decide to go through with the $100 Magnolia cal or step up and spend $400 for more piece of mind. Shouldn't you?
Saldisk
post #8627 of 12870
Quote:
Originally Posted by saldisk1 View Post

Can you really use D-Nice settings as anything more than a stop gap until you get calibration? I've gone through 4 Elite sets and though 2 of them were similar, neither would be presumed to be at the same gray scale as D-Nice, so I must wait and decide to go through with the $100 Magnolia cal or step up and spend $400 for more piece of mind. Shouldn't you?
Saldisk

My intention was to use D-Nice's reference settings for now until I can get a real calibration. But since those settings look horrible on my 5010 for some reason, I've just left it set to Standard for now. I've been trying to find a calibrator in my area, but so far Best Buy has been the only option I've found.

I think I'll probably let Best Buy do their "professional" calibration since I don't really have a better option at this point, and it won't cost me any more than I've already paid for the TV. Then I'll try to get on the tour lists for UMR and Eliab.
post #8628 of 12870
Quote:
Originally Posted by TiVoHD View Post

My intention was to use D-Nice's reference settings for now until I can get a real calibration. But since those settings look horrible on my 5010 for some reason, I've just left it set to Standard for now. I've been trying to find a calibrator in my area, but so far Best Buy has been the only option I've found.

I think I'll probably let Best Buy do their "professional" calibration since I don't really have a better option at this point, and it won't cost me any more than I've already paid for the TV. Then I'll try to get on the tour lists for UMR and Eliab.

Are you kidding? Please tell me that you are kidding. I would not have any BB store, touch my set especially a Plasma. They do not know what they are doing. I am in many forums that can confirm this. My advice, wait until you get on Eliab's and UMR tour. It will be well worth it.
post #8629 of 12870
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjre1 View Post

Are you kidding? Please tell me that you are kidding. I would not have any BB store, touch my set especially a Plasma. They do not know what they are doing. I am in many forums that can confirm this. My advice, wait until you get on Eliab's and UMR tour. It will be well worth it.

Well, it may be several months before I can get a real calibrator. I can't say whether Best Buy's "ISF Certified Calibrators" have any value since I don't have any experience with them. But at least if they royally screw up my TV, Best Buy will have to replace it. I'm just looking for something to get me by until I can get somebody better.
post #8630 of 12870
Quote:
Originally Posted by TiVoHD View Post

I just sent Eliab a PM. I called the one calibrator in my area, and he has apparently gone out of business.

Use Eliab's email address. He isn't active at AVS right now.

eliab@avical.com
post #8631 of 12870
Quote:
Originally Posted by TiVoHD View Post

Well, it may be several months before I can get a real calibrator. I can't say whether Best Buy's "ISF Certified Calibrators" have any value since I don't have any experience with them. But at least if they royally screw up my TV, Best Buy will have to replace it. I'm just looking for something to get me by until I can get somebody better.

I hear that. Have your try David.
Email - dave@avical.com
Website - www.avical.com
post #8632 of 12870
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjre1 View Post

I hear that. Have your try David.
Email - dave@avical.com
Website - www.avical.com

David Abrams is Eliab's partner. He works out of Los Angeles, so I don't think he does regular tours in Vermont.
post #8633 of 12870
Quote:
Originally Posted by TiVoHD View Post

My intention was to use D-Nice's reference settings for now until I can get a real calibration. But since those settings look horrible on my 5010 for some reason, I've just left it set to Standard for now. I've been trying to find a calibrator in my area, but so far Best Buy has been the only option I've found.

I think I'll probably let Best Buy do their "professional" calibration since I don't really have a better option at this point, and it won't cost me any more than I've already paid for the TV. Then I'll try to get on the tour lists for UMR and Eliab.

Keep in mind that if you don't like a picture with D'Nice's settings (or something fairly close to it) you may be disappointed with calibration results.
post #8634 of 12870
Quote:
Originally Posted by htwaits View Post

Use Eliab's email address. He isn't active at AVS right now.

eliab@avical.com

Will do, thanks!
post #8635 of 12870
Quote:
Originally Posted by stewa View Post

Keep in mind that if you don't like a picture with D'Nice's settings (or something fairly close to it) you may be disappointed with calibration results.

i think this is an excellent point
post #8636 of 12870
Quote:
Originally Posted by stewa View Post

Keep in mind that if you don't like a picture with D'Nice's settings (or something fairly close to it) you may be disappointed with calibration results.

That's what confuses me. Everyone talks about how good D-Nice's settings are, but they just aren't working on my TV. The colors are WAY off. It's like looking at everything with yellow glasses on. Is it possible that one of the color settings in the service menu is set wrong on my TV?
post #8637 of 12870
Quote:
Originally Posted by htwaits View Post

David Abrams is Eliab's partner. He works out of Los Angeles, so I don't think he does regular tours in Vermont.

True, but for the right price $$$ he might travel there. JK.
post #8638 of 12870
Quote:
Originally Posted by stewa View Post

Keep in mind that if you don't like a picture with D'Nice's settings (or something fairly close to it) you may be disappointed with calibration results.

I don't agree.

D-Nice is providing a starting point. Every set is different, and a professional calibration by a qualified and talented individual is the best way to get an individual set to perform to it's full capability.

On the other hand I agree.

If someone likes what they see in a typical BB showroom, and they are not able to acquire new tastes in video viewing, then a professional calibration may not a good investment.

Our 6010, with D-Nice's reference settings, had a little too much red. I didn't use any of the suggested SM changes. After UMR's calibration, faces are more natural, and have finer detail in skin texture. Yellow is really yellow, etc.

Since I'm not addicted to cartoon like exaggerated colors, I'm happy with our calibrated set. In fact, it's brighter and punchier.

There are people in South East Asia who have lived for many generations on boats. When then come ashore they get "land" sick due to the lack of movement. Some of them might adapt to living on land if they stayed there long enough. Likewise there might be people who have lived so long with OTB CRT sets with "showroom" settings, that they would get "land sick" if exposed to a calibrated set.
post #8639 of 12870
Quote:
Originally Posted by TiVoHD View Post

That's what confuses me. Everyone talks about how good D-Nice's settings are, but they just aren't working on my TV. The colors are WAY off. It's like looking at everything with yellow glasses on. Is it possible that one of the color settings in the service menu is set wrong on my TV?

Maybe I missed some posts, but have you taken your Kuro back to default on the settings and re-entered D-Nice's settings? Have you changed anything in the SM? Did you post the RGB defaults from the SM of your set?

Have you tried another connection from your source (STB or Player), HDMI instead of Component or vise-versa, another source or is the source the tuner on the Kuro?

I have two 8G Pioneers with D-Nice's setting and they are excellent.
post #8640 of 12870
Quote:
Originally Posted by TiVoHD View Post

That's what confuses me. Everyone talks about how good D-Nice's settings are, but they just aren't working on my TV. The colors are WAY off. It's like looking at everything with yellow glasses on. Is it possible that one of the color settings in the service menu is set wrong on my TV?

Anything is possible, but it is more likely you are accustomed to the blue-white look that has been standard on TV's for decades. It's not "accurate," but it is very pleasing to most people's eyes. It's the look we've seen all of our lives. That's why Pioneer (and virtually everyone else) defaults to it (the Mid color temp) and provides an even bluer color temp (High) for those who prefer that.

It's often commented that it takes awhile to get used to the way a calibrated set looks. The first reaction of many people is that everything has a yellow or brown or reddish cast. That's why people here have wisely suggested you look at similar settings before you spend your money on an ISF calibration.

I'm in a minority here in that I never found D-Nice's settings to my taste either. They looked "flat" to me. I couldn't get my 5080 to look "right" until I finally decided to venture into the service menu. Even then, it took many attempts over several months. It still looks "warm" compared to stock TVs, but the colors are clearly very accurate and I now find the "cool" bluish cast of most TVs to be distracting. No doubt a pro could get it even better, but I can't afford that luxury at this time.

BTW, you can check out Avical's website to get the answer to a number of questions. Eliab will be in your neck of the woods in late May.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Plasma Flat Panel Displays
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › Plasma Flat Panel Displays › The Official Pioneer 8G Kuro Settings/Issues Thread