Originally Posted by jjcritch
I have a question. I am working on a S-I-L-V-E-R (Delta not Behr)application right now (check out my HT build link below.)
What I have realized is that it is very hard to see the duster coats going on. I don't know exactly how much overlap I am getting with each row. I have also noticed that after my first S-I-L-V-E-R coat over the base, I have a lot of heterogeneity of the droplet sizes, making a salt-and-pepper type texture (not salt-and-pepper color like the Behr has been reported by MM to make.) This will probably go away with more coats, but my question is
How many turns out from seated are you guys putting the +/- control knob on the Wagner CS for each duster coat?
I do not have any experience with the wagner but typically if you can increase the amount of air pressure and decrease the amount of paint going into the gun you can remedy this. On a standard HPLV gun (compressor driven) there are adjustments for both. I fine tuned mine on a board before I started to dial it in.An update to my progress:
I just completed my screen this weekend and it turned out great. I'll snap some shots once I get it all assembled as I'm still putting my theater back together recovering from the flood. Carpet will be in next Monday so I should then be able to provide the group with some pics.
Per my earlier post, I actually found the Ceramcoat at Jo-Ann fabric. Picked it up and went with it instead of the Plaid brand. I will say after looking at the two colors side by side there was little difference. I'm sure it would work just as well. At any rate, I sprayed 3 coats of thinned Kilz and then 6 duster coats of silver. It was a snap. I think the main reason why some individuals ended up with "stripes" is they were moving the gun too slow and too close to the screen. I kept a good 15" away from the surface and moved in smooth quick motions across and then back and forth on the board. It came out smooth as a baby's bottom. Upon finishing each duster coat I also held the gun about 24" off the surface and basically allowed the paint mixture to "rain down" on the surface. This is where you definitely want to ensure you have higher pressure and the paint droplets are very small and dust like. It worked great to really even out the surface. Hope this helps and I can't wait to test it out!!!
Again, my hats off to the pioneers of this process, looks like a winner!!!