Originally Posted by cybrsage
So, anyone know the max I should pay for repairs before just chucking the Denon?
Pretty personal decision actually. When I had to take mine in the up front diagnosis fee you had to guarantee was about $100. Since I was sure I knew what was wrong (broken connector foil) I wasn't concerned about a huge downstream estimate and knew that the board was in the $400-500 range.
My unit still had about 2 weeks left on warranty, but interestingly Denon's position was that the bent foil was "user damage". Eventually the repair shop convinced Denon that they should replace the board, but I had to cover labor. This ran about $165.
I decided that this was worth it to me. However if Denon had refused to cover the board I would have just had the shop put it back together and paid them the $100, run everything off of component (pain with all the cables but doable) and waited a few years to think about replacing it. I couldn't justify swallowing $565-665 on a unit I'd paid $1000 for 2 years before.
I guess I'd pay the diagnosis fee with the understanding that you might have to walk away from the unit if the internal problems are catastrophic.
Sorry about your problem.