or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Receivers, Amps, and Processors › The "Official" Denon AVR-3808CI Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The "Official" Denon AVR-3808CI Thread - Page 650

post #19471 of 20190
Ok - AVR just kicked off while I was downstairs and it's flashing non-stop fast 'red' light. I'm going to pull out the AVR and check for touch speaker wires and hope that's 'it'.
post #19472 of 20190
^^^ checked and no speaker wires connecting with any other. If I get a chance tonight I'm going to watch a movie 'loud' and see what happens. Very frustrating if the AVR is 'dieing" since it's not that old.
post #19473 of 20190
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wryker View Post

^^^ checked and no speaker wires connecting with any other. If I get a chance tonight I'm going to watch a movie 'loud' and see what happens. Very frustrating if the AVR is 'dieing" since it's not that old.

It wouldn't be a speaker wire connecting with another speaker wire, but rather shorting on any metal surface, e.g., the back of the AVR, etc. If there's a speaker wire doing anything other than terminating at the terminal post, it's doing the wrong thing.
post #19474 of 20190
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wryker View Post

^^^ checked and no speaker wires connecting with any other. If I get a chance tonight I'm going to watch a movie 'loud' and see what happens. Very frustrating if the AVR is 'dieing" since it's not that old.

Adding to nlsteele's comment, do you have any in wall speaker wiring as it's possible a nail in the wall has broken the wire casing? Did you check the wiring connections at the speakers as well? Do as thorough a job as possible checking the wire integrity from the AVR all the way to the speakers, otherwise the only likely other conclusion is likely amp failure.
post #19475 of 20190
^^For the speaker terms they are wired through banana plugs so some of the wires do stick 'out' but I have them folded/pressed flat against the banana plug. I do not have any speakers in-wall. I did check the center, FL and FR since two of those were moved when I sold my 73" DLP and moved some components around (partially to give the AVR more room). I've noticed that seems to be a lot more bass than before though I have not changed any settings. I didn't crank up the system last night and won't be able to tonight (the lady comes back from a business trip) so I'll test it again this weekend. I really hope it's not the AVR!
ps - I appreciate your comments/suggestions/assistance!
post #19476 of 20190
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wryker View Post

^^For the speaker terms they are wired through banana plugs so some of the wires do stick 'out' but I have them folded/pressed flat against the banana plug. I do not have any speakers in-wall. I did check the center, FL and FR since two of those were moved when I sold my 73" DLP and moved some components around (partially to give the AVR more room). I've noticed that seems to be a lot more bass than before though I have not changed any settings. I didn't crank up the system last night and won't be able to tonight (the lady comes back from a business trip) so I'll test it again this weekend. I really hope it's not the AVR!
ps - I appreciate your comments/suggestions/assistance!

consider unplugging all speakers see if it runs ok, then add them back one by one till you perhaps find an issue?
post #19477 of 20190
Guys I have owned my 3810 for now a few years.

And a few years ago I added a Cinema 5 power amp.

I have since always had a hummm noise and I was wondering whether anyone who added an amp to their Denon receiver has had a similar problem.

The noise is not really a big deal with movies, but when listening to music it can be at times annoying. So now I have been running it w/o the amp. Sort of a waste to have nearly $4k there doing nothing !

Also I am pretty sure the problem is with the Denon since I have 2 of them in different location/houses/places and both will produce that humm when used with the amp. Also the amp has been back at Cary and they claim no problem at all with the unit.

BTW, I really cannot say that the amp added anything at all to the SQ anyway. It certainly added noise !!
post #19478 of 20190
@kevinwoodward - it's been running fine - it's only been when i turn it up nice and loud it 'shuts' off and the last time it was the quickly flashing red light.
ps - shout out to northboro! (i grew up in northbridge).
post #19479 of 20190
Quote:
Originally Posted by windwaves View Post

Guys I have owned my 3810 for now a few years.

And a few years ago I added a Cinema 5 power amp.

I have since always had a hummm noise and I was wondering whether anyone who added an amp to their Denon receiver has had a similar problem.

The noise is not really a big deal with movies, but when listening to music it can be at times annoying. So now I have been running it w/o the amp. Sort of a waste to have nearly $4k there doing nothing !

Also I am pretty sure the problem is with the Denon since I have 2 of them in different location/houses/places and both will produce that humm when used with the amp. Also the amp has been back at Cary and they claim no problem at all with the unit.

BTW, I really cannot say that the amp added anything at all to the SQ anyway. It certainly added noise !!

Possibly a ground loop issue. Review the article below for some troubleshooting steps.

http://www.audioholics.com/tweaks/co...m-hum-and-buzz
post #19480 of 20190
I am trying to play audio files from Apple TV, connected via HDMI to my AVR-3808CI, using Zone 2 speaker output. Apple TV is working fine...no problems playing in Main Zone using "Direct" playback mode.

Amp assign is configured to Zone 2, and it works fine with other inputs from analog signals or from digital coax signals. But when i select the source input to my apple tv (which is HDMI) i get nothing out of Zone 2.

Is there an audio signal format issue from HDMI sources that Zone 2 will not process in "Direct" playback mode? How do I know that my Zone 2 for Apple TV is even set in "Direct?" (I can confirm it's set to "Direct" for Main Zone via the GUI on my TV and the display on the AVR. However, I don't know how to confirm the playback mode for Zone 2 or if it's even possible to have two different playback modes for the same source input for different zones.)

Any help/advice? Is there some magic setting that I'm missing...? Please!
post #19481 of 20190
^^
Aside from the Yamaha Aventage series, there are currently no AVRs on the market that can pass HDMI audio to Zone 2. The 3808CI is one of only a handful of AVRs (all Denon) that can pass PCM 2.0 over optical/digital coax to Zone 2 as well as analog so consider yourself lucky in that sense.
post #19482 of 20190
Does anyone know EXACTLY what the differences are between the DM-A405 mic that came with the 3808 and the DM-A409 that came with the 2011 models such as the AVR1911?

I inherited a 3808ci and the mic is gone. I have the mic from the 1911 which is a DM-A409 and it looks just like the 405 version, but I suspect there might have been some calibration changes between the two ? At least that's what I've read here.

The going rate for a 405 is $60 now (if I can find one) and if the 409 would work, I could use that.

IF anyone know anything specific, please let me know. Thanks!

John
post #19483 of 20190
^^
You'll need the DM-A405 which usually sells on eBay for $25 .....

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Denon-Auduss...item43af7a280c
post #19484 of 20190
I swear I did a search of eBay ( in fact ive been searching all week with every conceivable variation of the model number ) and didn't find any listed for sale at less than $60. Thanks for the link.
post #19485 of 20190
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post

^^
Aside from the Yamaha Aventage series, there are currently no AVRs on the market that can pass HDMI audio to Zone 2. The 3808CI is one of only a handful of AVRs (all Denon) that can pass PCM 2.0 over optical/digital coax to Zone 2 as well as analog so consider yourself lucky in that sense.

So are there any solutions or work arounds for playing an apple tv over zone 2? I have my outdoor speakers hooked up and would love to control my music with my Ipad over airplay this way. Thanks
post #19486 of 20190
^^
Sure just connect an optical cable from the ATV and set it to PCM 2.0 (or pass PCM 2.0 audio) and you're good to go to Zone 2.
post #19487 of 20190
That worked! Thank you very much. I was afraid i was going to have to convert the toslink to analog first.
post #19488 of 20190
I need serious help.
I just got the new GT50 panasonic plasma tv..the veira connect function works well..but for some reason when i tried netflix I was getting only video and no audio..so I switched to the HDMI2 arc...still no audio...but in the process i must have tripped something up because now I am not getting any audio from anything...eg blu ray, iPod, tuner, etc..

I have a feeling it may have something to do with the amp assign feature..or maybe something else..

can anyone help?
post #19489 of 20190
^^
The 3808CI is only HDMI 1.3 and therefore doesn't have the ARC feature. Connect an optical cable from the TV to the AVR.
post #19490 of 20190
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post

^^
The 3808CI is only HDMI 1.3 and therefore doesn't have the ARC feature. Connect an optical cable from the TV to the AVR.

wow that was quick..thanks for the advice.
Can I use another HDMI cable from the plasma TV to another HDMI port on the back of the receive?

My problem now is that I lost ALL Audio...not just the netflix stuff..
post #19491 of 20190
^^
No, connect an optical cable from the TV's optical audio out to the 3808CI.
post #19492 of 20190
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post

^^
No, connect an optical cable from the TV's optical audio out to the 3808CI.

ok. but that will not fix the non netflix stuff.
It was working fine till i starting tinkering with the menu settings.
what is amp assign supposed to be set on?
I have 5.1 setup.
i'm not sure what happened but I can't get any audio..

thanks
post #19493 of 20190
^^
Amp Assign should be left at it's factory default setting of Zone 2. Also, check the "HDMI Audio Out" setting to ensure it's set to "AMP" and not "TV".
post #19494 of 20190
Quote:
Originally Posted by smdavis1004 View Post

I know this has been talked about, but there are so many settings and little changes you can make, not sure what I should and shouldn't do.
I have the Denon 3808ci.

My wife bought me a couple of new speakers for my room so that I could move from 5.1 to 7.1 (very nice of her). I was using a zone 2 setup before and now changed the AMP to 7.1 (will buy and external amp for zone 2 now). Here is the deal: The sound is great but most movies are not in 7.1 and therefore the back speakers are just going to waste. Is there a way to make it so that even on 5.1 sound at least goes to those speakers like the setup would be if I just has 5.1 with A+B (which also sounds good)?

Bottom line, I don't want those back speakers just sitting there.

Thanks in advance,
Stephen

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post

^^
Yes. Just as DD PLII will simulate 5.1 from a stereo SD channel signal, so to will DD PLIIx simulate 7.1 from either a stereo or 5.1 signal. Run AUTO SETUP again so the AVR recognizes the new speakers. Then set the SB Ch Out setting (p. 43) appropriately.

I've also just added some speakers and gone 7.1. Mostly just to see what it's like...partly because there's a few 7.1 titles coming out lately. Partly because I can

Anyway...

When I set this up I had been listening to internet radio in 5 Channel Stereo. Went to 7 Channel Stereo and sounded very impressive.

Then I tried my satellite TV (Fox in Australia). Some shows are plain stereo and I use 5Channel Stereo; now 7 Channel stereo for these.

Some are dolby digital. These were coming in as 5.1 and playing as 5.1. Fiddled around with the STD button and scrolled through the various options. I had thought that DD PLII X + c would be the best option. This gets all seven speakers working.

However when I scroll through now, even plain old DOLBY DIGITAL has all speakers working. Should this be happening or have I done something strange?

Off to crank up some 7.1 blurays

Cheers
blairy
post #19495 of 20190
^^
As noted in my post that you quoted, once you select DD PLIIx, it will also simulate 7.1 from the DD 5.1 (ie. Dolby Digital + PLIIx - Cinema).
post #19496 of 20190
I've got two sources I'd like to delete but unlike the rest, I'm unable to. One is listed as Zone 2 and the other is Zone 3.

The manual says "input sources being used in the various zones cannot be deleted."

I have no idea what that means.
post #19497 of 20190
^^
It means that you cannot delete a source name when it is selected for either the main zone or Zones 2 or 3 so you must change them to another source you don't want to delete (eg. "Source" which would be the same source in the main zone). What source do you have selected in the main zone and what sources are selected for Zones 2 and 3 (ie. that you're trying to delete)?
post #19498 of 20190
I don't understand.

I'm trying to delete two unused sources, one is labeled CD. How do I "change them to another source"?
post #19499 of 20190
You simply ensure that the source you want to delete (eg. "CD") is not selected in either the main, Zone 2, or Zone 3.
post #19500 of 20190
Sounds good. So how do I do that?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Receivers, Amps, and Processors
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Receivers, Amps, and Processors › The "Official" Denon AVR-3808CI Thread