or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Receivers, Amps, and Processors › The "Official" Denon AVR-3808CI Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The "Official" Denon AVR-3808CI Thread - Page 8

post #211 of 20190
MSRP?? If you've already waited this long, might as well wait another few weeks when the AVR-3808 will be at least $400 off MSRP pretty much everywhere.
post #212 of 20190
The new Denon's website entry for the 3808CI states the receiver has "HD Radio and XM ready tuning."

I'm buying the 3808 in a home theater package deal from our local dealer.

I asked my sales rep to confirm the HD Radio feature. He called Denon and they confirmed the 3808 has HD Radio built in. They said the radio tuner was both digital and analog. Apparently, you get the digital signal from the FM antenna. I have been dealing with this sales rep for 10 years and he has never lied or miss-led me. Does this sound like BS or is it a wonderful revelation that we all will rejoice in when it works as advertised?
post #213 of 20190
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmyB7 View Post

The new Denon's website entry for the 3808CI states the receiver has "HD Radio and XM ready tuning."

I'm buying the 3808 in a home theater package deal from our local dealer.

I asked my sales rep to confirm the HD Radio feature. He called Denon and they confirmed the 3808 has HD Radio built in. They said the radio tuner was both digital and analog. Apparently, you get the digital signal from the FM antenna. I have been dealing with this sales rep for 10 years and he has never lied or miss-led me. Does this sound like BS or is it a wonderful revelation that we all will rejoice in when it works as advertised?

I thought only the AVR-4308 has HD Radio. The AVR-3808 does have XM though.

EDIT: Yeah, your guy is smoking weed. The AVR-3808 does NOT have HD Radio according to the manual.

EDIT #2: Even XM is not built in, you still need the external XM antenna and the XM tuner. All the AVR-3808 does is control the external XM tuner.
post #214 of 20190
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmyB7 View Post

The new Denon's website entry for the 3808CI states the receiver has "HD Radio and XM ready tuning."

I'm buying the 3808 in a home theater package deal from our local dealer.

I asked my sales rep to confirm the HD Radio feature. He called Denon and they confirmed the 3808 has HD Radio built in. They said the radio tuner was both digital and analog. Apparently, you get the digital signal from the FM antenna. I have been dealing with this sales rep for 10 years and he has never lied or miss-led me. Does this sound like BS or is it a wonderful revelation that we all will rejoice in when it works as advertised?

I think there was some cut & pasting on the Denon web site for the 3808. No mention of HD radio in the 3808 manual online. I wonder if they are confusing it with iternet radio?
post #215 of 20190
Quote:
Originally Posted by SledgeHammer View Post

I thought only the AVR-4308 has HD Radio. The AVR-3808 does have XM though.

EDIT: Yeah, your guy is smoking weed. The AVR-3808 does NOT have HD Radio according to the manual.

I have read the manual but the Denon website states the AVR-3308CI does have HD Radio and my immediate goal is to determine if this is a "BS typo" or a hidden feature.

Thanks much
post #216 of 20190
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Tomaskovic View Post

I think there was some cut & pasting on the Denon web site for the 3808. No mention of HD radio in the 3808 manual online. I wonder if they are confusing it with iternet radio?

I specifically asked my sales rep if this was a mistake or did they actually mean internet radio.

He said "trust me" the 3808 has HD Radio support.
post #217 of 20190
I have the 3808ci and have not seen anything for HD radio in the menus or the connections on the back. It must be "well hidden" if it's there.
post #218 of 20190
Quote:
Originally Posted by bases1616 View Post

If anyone gets a call from a BB Magnolia store for your preorder of a 3808 let us know. I was told my receiver should arrive at the store by the 8th of August which would be next Wednesday.

I was just told by my local store that both (4308 and 3808) have been pushed out to end of Aug.

____
Axel
post #219 of 20190
Quote:
Originally Posted by SledgeHammer View Post

Even XM is not built in, you still need the external XM antenna and the XM tuner. All the AVR-3808 does is control the external XM tuner.

I'm not sure about that. The AVR 3806 does require an optional external antenna which plugs into the back of the receiver, but the XM tuner is internal as part of the AM/FM/XM set of tuning bands. Why would Denon have "downgraded" their upgraded receiver to require an external XM tuner?
post #220 of 20190
Page 18 of the manual

The AVR-3808CI is an XM Ready receiver. You can receive XM Satellite RAdio by connecting to the XM Mini-Tuner and Home Dock (includes home antenna, sold seperately) and subscribing to the XM service.

Wonder how much the Mini-Tuner and Home Dock costs.....
post #221 of 20190
OK,

1. There is no HD radio in the 3808CI...only in the 4308CI up;
2. There is no wifi in the 3808CI....its in the 4308CI;
3. If you want XM then you will need this:

http://shop.xmradio.com/detail.aspx?pid=458&cat=9

post #222 of 20190
Yeah, I meant there are two external pieces you need. The antenna and the box which is REALLY the tuner. The AVR-3808 doesn't have a built in XM tuner, it just controls the external tuner via the cable and provides feedback so it LOOKS integrated. Of course, the audio comes back over the cable too. HD Radio on the AVR-4308 doesn't need an external tuner, that one is built in. All you need is the external antenna.
post #223 of 20190
Quote:
Originally Posted by bases1616 View Post

If anyone gets a call from a BB Magnolia store for your preorder of a 3808 let us know. I was told my receiver should arrive at the store by the 8th of August which would be next Wednesday.

I just talked to my local Magnolia (not an embedded Best Buy location, but a standalone retail store) and they have confirmed that my 3808 is in the warehouse and should be in store tomorrow.

Color me excited! I'll certainly report back tomorrow with an update and expect to be able to share my experiences through the weekend. I'll be replacing a 3805 and trying the following:

Xbox 360 via component + optical for games and HD DVD
PS3 via HDMI for games, DVD, SACD, and Blu-ray
HR10-250 via HDMI for satellite and OTA HD
Wii via component for games

My display is a 46" 720p DLP Samsung so I won't be able to test anything meaningful regarding 1080p deinterlacing, but I'm very much looking forward to the multi-channel PCM audio experience and an on-screen display that works reliably with signals above 480i.
post #224 of 20190
3808 is showing as in stock on the ListenUp website now.

Not much longer now... excited!
post #225 of 20190
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aballistar View Post

3808 is showing as in stock on the ListenUp website now.

Not much longer now... excited!

You and me both! I was one of the first couple people to pre-order so they should ship mine soon, I will keep everyone up to date.

The bad part is it will prob ship tomorrow and not get here until early next week when I will be out of town . I will have to wait until next Thursday to get to play with mine. So I will be counting on everyone here to give good impressions when they get thiers!
post #226 of 20190
Quote:
Originally Posted by Axel View Post

I was just told by my local store that both (4308 and 3808) have been pushed out to end of Aug.
____
Axel

Must just be their store because my Denon is on a UPS truck now.
post #227 of 20190
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkAdept View Post

I just talked to my local Magnolia (not an embedded Best Buy location, but a standalone retail store) and they have confirmed that my 3808 is in the warehouse and should be in store tomorrow.

Color me excited! I'll certainly report back tomorrow with an update and expect to be able to share my experiences through the weekend. I'll be replacing a 3805 and trying the following:

Xbox 360 via component + optical for games and HD DVD
PS3 via HDMI for games, DVD, SACD, and Blu-ray
HR10-250 via HDMI for satellite and OTA HD
Wii via component for games

My display is a 46" 720p DLP Samsung so I won't be able to test anything meaningful regarding 1080p deinterlacing, but I'm very much looking forward to the multi-channel PCM audio experience and an on-screen display that works reliably with signals above 480i.

As I thought, Magnolia AV only has 1 warehouse - in Kent, WA, about 20 minutes from my house. Called the store and they said my 3808 is at the warehouse too! I will be on my way soon!
post #228 of 20190
Any owners out there care to shed any light on the DCDi chip in the 3808 and how it handles 480i content deinterlacing and scaling (SD tv and SD dvd) as well as 1080i content (cable/dvr ) deinterlacing to 1080p for 1080p displays? This is really what is going to make my decision for me between the 3808 and the Onkyo 875. 875 users have stated that the Reon does an outstanding job of deinterlacing and scaling all content, with SD DVD's seeing the most improvement, but also 1080i deinterlacing being incredible.
Thanks all.

Ryan
post #229 of 20190
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by rkgriffin View Post

Must just be their store because my Denon is on a UPS truck now.

where did you order it from?
post #230 of 20190
Quote:
Originally Posted by odub303 View Post

Any owners out there care to shed any light on the DCDi chip in the 3808 and how it handles 480i content deinterlacing and scaling (SD tv and SD dvd) as well as 1080i content (cable/dvr ) deinterlacing to 1080p for 1080p displays? This is really what is going to make my decision for me between the 3808 and the Onkyo 875. 875 users have stated that the Reon does an outstanding job of deinterlacing and scaling all content, with SD DVD's seeing the most improvement, but also 1080i deinterlacing being incredible.
Thanks all.

Ryan

Ryan, my interest exactly. I've been watching the 3808ci and 875 threads for about 2 months now to determine which I should pull the trigger on. I'm still leaning towards the 875 for the Reon video processing to 1080p but I'll reserve judgement until some folks get their 3808's plugged in this weekend and start reporting.
post #231 of 20190
I tried 1080i to 1080p from a toshiba a1 and it looked fine to me. It also passes 1080p24 from the ps3 without any problems. I will try 480p to 1080p tonight, the toshiba doesn't do 480i over hdmi.
post #232 of 20190
muncey, do you have the HQV test disks?
post #233 of 20190
Quote:
Originally Posted by sjv View Post

Ryan, my interest exactly. I've been watching the 3808ci and 875 threads for about 2 months now to determine which I should pull the trigger on. I'm still leaning towards the 875 for the Reon video processing to 1080p but I'll reserve judgement until some folks get their 3808's plugged in this weekend and start reporting.

Ah, a fellow struggler....the other thing that is really making my decision tough is the ethernet/internet/network capabilities of the 3808....imagine just downloading a firmware update in like 5 minutes?

Ryan
post #234 of 20190
Quote:
Originally Posted by rkgriffin View Post

Must just be their store because my Denon is on a UPS truck now.


This is good news!
Which store is it?

(My store is the one in Novi, MI. The lady I spoke to actually looked it up in their database system. It appears their delivery schedules seemed to be only regional. Maybe there is still hope I could get one earlier .)

____
Axel
post #235 of 20190
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryarber View Post

muncey, do you have the HQV test disks?

I have the HD-DVD version and an HD-A2 player. I just picked up my 3808 , but I have to work tomorrow, so I'm not sure how far I will get before the weekend.
post #236 of 20190
Quote:
Originally Posted by DuallyDave View Post

I have the HD-DVD version and an HD-A2 player. I just picked up my 3808 , but I have to work tomorrow, so I'm not sure how far I will get before the weekend.


OOOOOH, can you please also comment on the quality of the DCDi video processor handling sd tv content input at 480i as well?

Ryan
post #237 of 20190
Quote:
Originally Posted by odub303 View Post

Ah, a fellow struggler....the other thing that is really making my decision tough is the ethernet/internet/network capabilities of the 3808....imagine just downloading a firmware update in like 5 minutes?

Ryan

Ryan, this is from joerod from a different Onkyo sub-forum on this subject.
Quote:
Originally Posted by joerod View Post

Onkyo will have owners fill out a form that says they are not liable for any damage you may cause by doing it yourself (by email). I have always received the new firmwares from them by email so I usually send them to fellow AVS members saving them the hassle of jumping thru their hoops. It also saves them from having to haul their receiver to a service center. That's why a USB to serial port cable (for all of them except the 905-ethernet)will come in handy!

According to this, it is easy to d/l and install firmware updates to the 875 also.
post #238 of 20190
Quote:
Originally Posted by odub303 View Post

Ah, a fellow struggler....the other thing that is really making my decision tough is the ethernet/internet/network capabilities of the 3808....imagine just downloading a firmware update in like 5 minutes?

Ryan

count me in as a struggler.... except i struggle more with sound quality. no doubt in my mind that the reon in the Onkyo, if implemented correctly, will best the faroudja.
i have real issues getting an Onkyo because I've read so many times at the klipsch forum that Onkyo doesn't mate well with klipsch. they say the Onkyo are bright therefore aren't recommended with horn loaded speakers such as klipsch.

Denon is highly recommended. and i have to agree that my avr683 though very old and only pushing about 75wpc does sound good with my Klipsch's.

i want to think that Onkyo did something different with these models. every Onkyo owner that i have questioned about sound characteristics always says
there's no truth in any amp having sound characteristics with todays electronics.
they all say how great the new ones sound compared to what they used to have but wont say why they think that.

seems like most of the Denon users agree that Denon has a warm sound and that Onkyo is bright.

i really want the better video processing in the onkyo....but i love denon's sound.

its really not an option for me to buy one and exchange it if i don't like it.
and i'd really like to get something newer before October when i get my set ISF'd. the guy is supposed to do awesome work on both video and audio.

I'm so torn....i don't know what to do. so frustrating
post #239 of 20190
Quote:
Originally Posted by sjv View Post

According to this, it is easy to d/l and install firmware updates to the 875 also.

For me not so easy, as I would have to disconnect everything from the 875 and then move it to my office where the PC is to do the connections and do the install.

I prefer the well thought out Denon method......
post #240 of 20190
^^
so true...unless you have a really long cord.

i wonder if you can burn the firmware in ISO to a disc and load it through DVD player?

thats how the oppo players get their updates..just wondering if it would work through the player to the AVR
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Receivers, Amps, and Processors
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Receivers, Amps, and Processors › The "Official" Denon AVR-3808CI Thread