or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Receivers, Amps, and Processors › The "Official" Denon AVR-3808CI Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The "Official" Denon AVR-3808CI Thread - Page 99

post #2941 of 20190
Quote:
Originally Posted by pbmpharmacist View Post

Can someone using this receiver tell me what iPod dock you are using and if it works properly? I was reading the iPod dock reviews for this unit and a lot of people seemed to have trouble with it (at least the people posting on Amazon, Crutchfield, etc). Thanks!


I have the ASD-1R Denon IPod dock. It's OK. The only problem I have is scrolling through the songs/artists. It takes forever. You can't say type in "T" and go to the artists that start with "T". You have to start at A and keep pressing the button through all the artists until you get to "T". Granted, I just got it a couple of weeks ago and haven't had much time to play with it so there may be some shortcuts that I'm not aware of.

I do think it sounds better that just having it hooked up to the 3808 with the headphone jack and RCAs.
post #2942 of 20190
Quote:
Originally Posted by pbmpharmacist View Post

Can someone using this receiver tell me what iPod dock you are using and if it works properly? I was reading the iPod dock reviews for this unit and a lot of people seemed to have trouble with it (at least the people posting on Amazon, Crutchfield, etc). Thanks!

I use the ASD-1R which is completely integrated with the 3808. This means that it is controlled from the receiver (either front panel or remote) and shows up as part of the receiver GUI (either front panel or screen). It works perfectly for me.

I can't see any reason to use the ASD-3W (or N) with the 3808. It does have wireless but ONLY for the dock. NONE of the 3808 network functions (and especially firmware update) will work via the ASD-3. (And the ASD-1 is cheaper.)
post #2943 of 20190
Quote:
Originally Posted by mitchlewis View Post

Okay, here's an easy one.....

How come every time we change sources (like changing from DVD to TV/Cable) the master volume resets itself to -39.5? Is there any way that we can get the 3808 to maintain volume as we switch between sources?

Heck, even if you switch to another source and then switch right back that volume changes to -39.5......weird.

Maybe we need to do the firmware update? Dunno.

It should not be doing that Mitch. Try the FW update.
post #2944 of 20190
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob0115 View Post

Thanks BW. I see you've been a lot of help to a bunch of people. I see what you mean but I'm almost sure that this worked yesterday for Neural and PL cinema. I am bringing in analog through composite. Does yours do the same thing in Neural and PL Cinema.....output to center only? Appreciate your help.

Hey BW. Figured this out. Seems that signal quality/ stereo vs mono is coming into play. The srround modes I was talking about work on some channels and not on others. Thanks for your help.
post #2945 of 20190
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob0115 View Post

Hey BW. Figured this out. Seems that signal quality/ stereo vs mono is coming into play. The srround modes I was talking about work on some channels and not on others. Thanks for your help.


Correct....same thing here.
post #2946 of 20190
Thinking of getting this receiver and a KEF speaker series (either 3005 or the 5000 series). I have read that I will need a receiver to adjust the input level to the sub with the KEF as the unit cannot do it itself. Just making sure the 3808 does this.

Also, does the network functionality work without issues if I connect it to a WAP to wirelessly connect to my Internet connection? What kind of throughput does it need to function well? And does it handle occasional connectivity blips common to WiFi without freezing or aborting acitivities?

Thanks.
post #2947 of 20190
I have been reading and shopping for several months and I just ordered one from David at 6th Avenue. 973-924-8474. Mention avs to get the special price.
post #2948 of 20190
I had the 3808 for about 2 months now, but the recent week or two I have noticed audio pops, perhaps 1 or 2 during a 2 hr movie. It occurs when listening to PCM 5.1 over HDMI from my BD player (Samsung BD P1200 with the latest fw).

I have not noticed the audio pops when listening to TV or streamed stereo media from my Xbox.

Any thoughts on what this may be or what causes it?
post #2949 of 20190
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gator123 View Post

I have been reading and shopping for several months and I just ordered one from David at 6th Avenue. 973-924-8474. Mention avs to get the special price.

Me too. Different guy but the same special pricing... For anyone looking at their site, what the phone sales peoeple are offering is WAY better than what they are listing on their site. Combined with the speakers, I saved four-figures.
post #2950 of 20190
Hello. I have had this receiver for a few days now and am very happy with it overall. I've not done a fw update as of yet.

My previous receiver was a Denon 3801 and I loved it. But this thing blows that one away. Fantastic sound through my Boston Acoustic 975s! Still working out some of the gui and routing but it was pretty intuitive out of the box.
I'd like to see what changes they make prior to hooking the Ethernet up.


Is there a summary of the firmware updates on this thread?
post #2951 of 20190
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwishon View Post

Not sure about this, bwclark. I haven't been able to stream FLAC successfully over Twonky from my ReadyNAS. I can see the files, but they won't play.

Has anyone else had any luck with this?

Check this post....he is doing this with TwonkyMedia....
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showp...postcount=1535
post #2952 of 20190
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZenFly View Post

Hello. I have had this receiver for a few days now and am very happy with it overall. I've not done a fw update as of yet.

My previous receiver was a Denon 3801 and I loved it. But this thing blows that one away. Fantastic sound through my Boston Acoustic 975s! Still working out some of the gui and routing but it was pretty intuitive out of the box.
I'd like to see what changes they make prior to hooking the Ethernet up.


Is there a summary of the firmware updates on this thread?

Denon has not yet provided a FW update listing...that I have found.

Here is some info....

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showp...postcount=1581
post #2953 of 20190
Quote:
Originally Posted by RJonesUSC View Post

Sorry if this has been asked previously in this thread, but does anyone use the 3808 with 4 ohm speakers? If so, how does it handle the load?

I am running Martin Logan Vistas as my Fronts and it handles those fine with all other speakers being 8 ohms. Loud, very loud and clear. I used Audessy set-up with the mike mounted on the tripod and it did work out fine. I did end up, moving my Sub volume up, but it does sound good and is quite loud versus my 2001 Onkyo which was a 75 watt per channel unit.
post #2954 of 20190
Quote:
Originally Posted by bwclark View Post

Denon has not yet provided a FW update listing...that I have found.

Here is some info....

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showp...postcount=1581

Thank you for the reply. I haven't tried the audessy setup yet. I do have the surround option thing so maybe this one has fairly new fw.
post #2955 of 20190
I just want to tell everybody how great this unit is.
People post often when they have problems or complains, but
rarely when they are happy. So I'll do it.
Everything, and I mean everything works without a single problem.
All the connections, True HD and DTS Master Audio, uncompressed,
everything sounds amazing. No lip-sync issues, nothing. Firmware
update with an ethernet cable - no problems (not that I really needed
to upgrade fw anyway). The sound quality is a joy.
No heat problem. No problems at all!
I connected my 3808 to an amazing Rotel 1085 D-series amp.
I'm using all 4 HDMI inputs, Toshiba A35, Panasonic BD30, Moto cable box
and Oppo 980H.
I guess I will never try an Onkyo product. I'm so glad they didn't
deliver when I was waiting for weeks.
Did I mention the sound quality?
My friends can't believe I'm getting this quality from such a small system.

I'm very, very happy with Denon.
post #2956 of 20190
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwishon View Post

Not sure about this, bwclark. I haven't been able to stream FLAC successfully over Twonky from my ReadyNAS. I can see the files, but they won't play.

Has anyone else had any luck with this?

I stream FLAC through TVersity. Works great.
post #2957 of 20190
Doing the FW update has also improved the 2-way RF interaction with the RC7000 remote. I now get the RDS info from the tuner on the rmote as well (didn't when I had FW V1.05)
I'm loving this unit more and more every day!!
post #2958 of 20190
latest FW definitely improved the audessy, I used to get crazy readings on the distance now they are spot on and the sound seems flawless.
post #2959 of 20190
does anyone know if using this receiver combined with the toshiba a2 hd dvd player will allow me to take advantage of all of the HD sound formats?
post #2960 of 20190
Quote:
Originally Posted by rizzxx7 View Post

latest FW definitely improved the audessy, I used to get crazy readings on the distance now they are spot on and the sound seems flawless.

So what's "the latest" FW? 1.57 or 1.6? I have 1.57 installed
a week ago and it was "latest" then...
post #2961 of 20190
Quote:
Originally Posted by terzaghi View Post

does anyone know if using this receiver combined with the toshiba a2 hd dvd player will allow me to take advantage of all of the HD sound formats?

You can listen to True HD via HDMI. The A2 will convert the True HD to multi channel PCM. The 3808 will povide PLII processing if you want to use your rear channels with a 7.1 set up. If you want to send the True HD via bitstream so that the 3808 will do the processing you will need a XA2 of HDA 35.
post #2962 of 20190
Quote:
Originally Posted by drj2000 View Post

You can listen to True HD via HDMI. The A2 will convert the True HD to multi channel PCM. The 3808 will povide PLII processing if you want to use your rear channels with a 7.1 set up. If you want to send the True HD via bitstream so that the 3808 will do the processing you will need a XA2 of HDA 35.

Thanks, sounds like I am good to go.

Is there really any advantage to having the receiver do the processing instead of the player? I mean either it:

a.) gets processed by player sent to receiver then sent to speakers
or
b.) gets sent to receiver, processed, then sent to speakers.

I don't see how one could possibly have an advantage over the other.
post #2963 of 20190
Quote:
Originally Posted by bwclark View Post

Check this post....he is doing this with TwonkyMedia....
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showp...postcount=1535

Yes, I saw that post some time ago, but the link pointing to the 'instructions' is broken, and I haven't been able to find the source. In any case, it refers to the HP MediaVault, and I have a ReadyNAS. I'm not sure the instructions would apply.
post #2964 of 20190
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpankyInChicago View Post

I stream FLAC through TVersity. Works great.


Thanks, Spanky. Yes, I saw that streaming through TVersity seems to work ok, and if I can't find a solution to the Twonky issue, I'll probably ditch it for TVersity. But I'm using Twonky to stream video to my XBox 360 from my NAS, which works just fine -- I'd hate to load Tversity up and find that I can no longer stream video to the 360 (which the 3808 can't do). Any idea if video to 360 also works with TVersity?
post #2965 of 20190
Quote:
Originally Posted by bwclark View Post

It should not be doing that Mitch. Try the FW update.

Successfully updated our AVR-3808CI! Whoo Hoo! Took about an hour with a wireless connection. Wireless router>wirelss into MacMini>MacMini Ethernet Sharing Output to Denon. (I'm surprised it worked so well!)

Problem is, our volume still resets itself to -39.5 db everytime we switch sources. Where else can I get help on this? (it's driving my wife nutz) Should I call Denon? Or is that a waste of time?
post #2966 of 20190
I'm getting very occasional pops out of my speakers with a Denon 3808. MAYBE happens once a movie or once every couple of TV shows. At first, I thought it was from my cable box or the recording but now that I'm getting it from Blu-ray disks I'm worried. Anyone else have that problem? I'm running the lastest firmware.
post #2967 of 20190
pbm, maybe a speaker or subwoofer problem? MAybe you can hook up another receiver (if you have one) and see if it still happens.
post #2968 of 20190
Hello All .... I'm new to this forum, but I've been absorbing all the great information the past week. This is a wonderful resource and I look forward to contributing some information back to the community at some point.

Just got my 3808CI last week. I'm kind of a "connected home" geek so I've been trying out all the streaming features this baby supports. So far i'm pretty impressed. I was blown away by how much better my networked music sounds on this thing vs. my Roku Soundbridge.

Anyway, I am having a network issue that I'm trying to debug. I've gone through the firmware update process and I think I'm current because when I do a check it tells me I have the latest. Can someone tell me how to view my firmware versions ... I can't figure that out??

The problem I'm working on is that I loose my network connection (music stops playing, Net/USB interface freezes up) about 15-30 seconds after starting up another DLNA device on my network. The other DLNA devices are a Roku SoundBridge and a DivX Connected Beta player. Both of these effect the 3808CI the same way, and effectively cause it to loose its network connectivity. If I power off the other DLNA devices and do a power reset on the 3808CI it comes back to life and everything is fine. Then the whole cycle repeats when I turn on another DLNA device.

Once I verify my firmware is the latest I'll do some more testing on this ... but if anyone out there has experienced this bug I'd love to hear your thoughts.

Thanks!
-K
post #2969 of 20190
Quote:
Originally Posted by terzaghi View Post

pbm, maybe a speaker or subwoofer problem? MAybe you can hook up another receiver (if you have one) and see if it still happens.

I ended up going to the store and exchanging for another one. I have had at least 6 receivers hooked up over the last 2 years and this is a new problem. Anyway, we'll see if this one does it.
post #2970 of 20190
Has anybody noticed a zipper noise when turning the volume up fast?
I was listening to some music today and when i turned it up (rapidly, but not really loud) I noticed it. I thought the receiver had some correction for it, guess not. Unless mine is kinda faulty, but I don't think so. Oh well.

ps. And just to make sure, the volume didn't even get to -20db so it wasn't clipping or anything.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Receivers, Amps, and Processors
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Receivers, Amps, and Processors › The "Official" Denon AVR-3808CI Thread