or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Receivers, Amps, and Processors › The "Official" Denon AVR-3808CI Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The "Official" Denon AVR-3808CI Thread - Page 145

post #4321 of 20190
I had setup my speakers with a Sound Meter . But I noticed it went back to the Auddsey settings. Was this because of a firmare upgrade? or is there someway I have to save it that I didnt do?

Thanks in advance
post #4322 of 20190
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjduncan View Post

Thanks for the info. Can I accomplish the aforementioned task by buying the 4308 or some other receiver?

Thanks again in advance.

The 4308 has dual HDMI outputs. If your displays can both take HDMI inputs, the 4308 could work for you.
post #4323 of 20190
Quote:
Originally Posted by cydog3 View Post

I had setup my speakers with a Sound Meter . But I noticed it went back to the Auddsey settings. Was this because of a firmare upgrade? or is there someway I have to save it that I didnt do?

Thanks in advance

You need to go into PARAMETERS>AUDIO>ROOM EQ> then select "MANUAL". It will save your settings override.
post #4324 of 20190
Been lurkering for some time now and after considerable debating of which route to take...I just called Scott at x8632 and got the 3808CI deal. I'm so stoked. Many thanks to those involved for this deal.
post #4325 of 20190
I have run the Audssey and the distance seem to be spot on, but checked the volume levels with the center button and the volumes were all over the board. (some -, some +)

If I change the volume levels, will that effect any of the Audssey settings??
post #4326 of 20190
Quote:
Originally Posted by BuckNaked View Post

You need to go into PARAMETERS>AUDIO>ROOM EQ> then select "MANUAL". It will save your settings override.

Thanks That worked
post #4327 of 20190
Anyone else have this happen ???? If Iwatch a bluray in uncompressed or HD for audio and I accidently hit tuner or a different input when you go back to DVD it has no sound and it goes to stero so you dont get anything from the center. The only way I have found around it is to start the movie again. It has happena few times when my kids watch shows and go to turn it up and hit wrong button.

Thanks
post #4328 of 20190
Quote:
Originally Posted by vr6need4speed View Post

Been lurkering for some time now and after considerable debating of which route to take...I just called Scott at x8632 and got the 3808CI deal. I'm so stoked. Many thanks to those involved for this deal.

vr6need4speed .... Welcome you'll be very happy with your choice. Its a great unit. like everything it takes some tweaking but overall a great unit and welcome to the board
post #4329 of 20190
Quote:
Originally Posted by vr6need4speed View Post

Been lurkering for some time now and after considerable debating of which route to take...I just called Scott at x8632 and got the 3808CI deal. I'm so stoked. Many thanks to those involved for this deal.

I too have ordered the 3808 w/6th ave. (although I ordered through Roberto. Did I just exalt another 6th Ave. employee?) and feel that they offer a very competitive price. I vacillated between the Onkyo TX-SR805 and the 3808, and after research and figuring in personal preference, went with the 3808.

Many thanks to all who post and contribute their experiences as it helps tremendously when trying to make an educated, well informed decision/purchase.

-Matt
post #4330 of 20190
Quote:
Originally Posted by McGoogan View Post

I have run the Audssey and the distance seem to be spot on, but checked the volume levels with the center button and the volumes were all over the board. (some -, some +)

If I change the volume levels, will that effect any of the Audssey settings??

Same here. I have a small room so, I have no need for L/R mis-matches.

I ran Audyssey a few times with mixed results. I finally went back to MANUAL EQ and changed distances, cross-overs, and channel levels to more reasonable settings. Just rember to "CURVE COPY" to bring over the Audyssey Flat EQ curve.
post #4331 of 20190
Quote:
Originally Posted by BuckNaked View Post

Same here. I have a small room so, I have no need for L/R mis-matches.

I ran Audyssey a few times with mixed results. I finally went back to MANUAL EQ and changed distances, cross-overs, and channel levels to more reasonable settings. Just rember to "CURVE COPY" to bring over the Audyssey Flat EQ curve.

Exactly, my SL shouldnt be in the '-' while my SR is in the '+', when I can almost touch both at the same time. That doesnt look familiar, so I must not have copied. Thanks for the tip, I will give it a shot. Thanks BN.
post #4332 of 20190
Quote:
Originally Posted by McGoogan View Post

That doesnt look familiar, so I must not have copied...

MANUAL SETUP>AUDIO SETUP>MANUAL EQ>CURVE COPY>YES
post #4333 of 20190
I rec my 3808 today and am slowly setting it up. My question is I have my dish rec set up with HDMI. I get sound in surround but not from the tv. Is there a setting so I get it at the rec and the TV.
post #4334 of 20190
Hey everyone. I've been enjoying my 3808 for the past couple of weeks but I am having a bit of a problem while playing back regular DVDs on my PS3.

I have my PS3 hooked up to my 3808 via HDMI. Whenever I play back a video game or Blu-Ray disc the image comes out correctly. Whether that be filling the whole screen like it should or in a letterbox format depending on the source aspect.

However, when I play back standard def DVDs I always get a window boxed image, not a letter boxed one. I've gone through the setting to see what may be wrong but nothing seems to fix the problem. I'm pretty confident everything is set correctly since I get correct video from games and Blu-Rays. Obviously something isn't set up right since I'm posting here

Anyways if anyone could help it would be greatly appreciated.
post #4335 of 20190
Anyone have success getting "DSD DIRECT" or "DSD MULTI DIRECT" to display on the front panel when playing back either SACD or DVD-A sources?
post #4336 of 20190
I am experiencing the same lip sync problems on Direct TV HD channels Is this A receiver issue? It seems if I pause and un-pause the pic and sound it comes back into alignment. but not always. Any answers?
post #4337 of 20190
We have a lip sync problem with our Charter MOXI cable box (DVR). We have the audio connected via coaxial digital to the 3808. If you ask me (I produce videos for a living) the audio is lagging BEHIND the video, so the Denon Audio Delay setting is the opposite of what you need to fix it. We need a video delay that is source dependent......is there such a thing?
post #4338 of 20190
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoner51 View Post

I rec my 3808 today and am slowly setting it up. My question is I have my dish rec set up with HDMI. I get sound in surround but not from the tv. Is there a setting so I get it at the rec and the TV.

Manual Setup > HDMI Setup > Audio

But this will only output the audio to the receiver or the TV, not both.
post #4339 of 20190
All, I feel like a moron. I am running a 5.1 setup in zone 1 and added a pair of speakers in zone 2. I connected the zone 2 speakers to the surround back/amp assign terminals. I then powered on zone 2 from the remote. The only way I can get sound in zone 2 is to set amp assign to 2 channel and my source has to be stereo. If the source is multichannel, fuh-get-about-it. And my choice is zone 1 or 2 but not both. I've been wading thru the manual and GUI without success. I'd like to be able to achieve playback in in zones 1 and 2 simultaneously. Can someone tell me what I am doing wrong? (No matter that I am typing this on New Years Eve!)
post #4340 of 20190
Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyboy View Post

All, I feel like a moron. I am running a 5.1 setup in zone 1 and added a pair of speakers in zone 2. I connected the zone 2 speakers to the surround back/amp assign terminals. I then powered on zone 2 from the remote. The only way I can get sound in zone 2 is to set amp assign to 2 channel and my source has to be stereo. If the source is multichannel, fuh-get-about-it. And my choice is zone 1 or 2 but not both. I've been wading thru the manual and GUI without success. I'd like to be able to achieve playback in in zones 1 and 2 simultaneously. Can someone tell me what I am doing wrong? (No matter that I am typing this on New Years Eve!)

Oh and one more question. Why does the Denon output at 16 X 9 OR 4 X 3 but does not appear to offer a choice that preserves the aspect ratio of the source? I don't get it. I've had to bypass the video switching for my sources involving a lot of 4 X 3 aspect programming. Or again, as with my zone 2 problem, maybe I don't understand all the features of this receiver.
post #4341 of 20190
I'm on hold with 6ave waiting to place my order for this reciever. I cant wait to get it and start figguring it out. It appears from the posts here that it's somewhat of a challenge but a rewarding one.

I do have one question for the current owners, a friend of mine has a HK receiver where the mic for the calibration system is built into the remote. Is that the case with this Denon? The specs say it comes with a Mic but I'm curious as to how that Mic communicates back with the reciever as my reciever will be in another room from where my TV and speakers are.
post #4342 of 20190
Quote:
Originally Posted by GMC View Post

Is there a way to display the GUI of this 3808CI on my alternate display( using composite or S-Video outputs) instesd of the front projector display, while still using the HDMI inputs with all their functionality for four HD scorce components?

I Have the capability of doing this myself (via SVHS) although I don't normally use it. The HDMI stuff will NOT display on the SVHS display but the GUI should. When the HDMI output is hooked to the projector the GUI displays there. When I disconnected the HDMI output the GUI switched to the SVHS. It apparently will not display on both at the same time mainly because the HDMI takes over completely from the other outputs. (It will display simultaneously on Component and SVHS when HDMI is not active.) I believe that if the projector is off it is the same as disconnecting the HDMI but this may depend on the particular projector and I couldn't test it right now..
post #4343 of 20190
Quote:
Originally Posted by prozach99 View Post

I do have one question for the current owners, a friend of mine has a HK receiver where the mic for the calibration system is built into the remote. Is that the case with this Denon? The specs say it comes with a Mic but I'm curious as to how that Mic communicates back with the reciever as my reciever will be in another room from where my TV and speakers are.

The mic with the 3808 is a totally separate thing. It has a thin cable (like on a pair of headphones) that plugs into an input on the front of the receiver. The mic is also mountable on a tripod which really helps during setup.
post #4344 of 20190
Rod, thanks for the info! That works, I guess I can just extend the cable to reach the room where my speakers are. That's great that it's tripod mountable, I was reading that the mic should be pointed up a ear level and wondering if I would get tired sitting there holding it.

Now, if only 6ave will pick up the phone I'll have a great reciever to go with my pdp6010.
post #4345 of 20190
I'm hoping someone can help me with these two problems I'm having.

1. I have a Samsung LN4665F 46" 1080P television. When I hook the TV up to the denon 3808 through HDMI in, I get no television sound coming from my surround system. The Samsung TV says there are no HDMI devices connected. Hooking up my PS3 through the Denon, then out to the Samsung, works fine (however I can only have audio from the surround system, and not the TV at the same time). Is there a way to hook my TV up to the Denon so I can have the television audio come out through the receiver?

2. Is there a way to boost the center channel up any? I'm having some issues where my center channel is sounding extremely muddy. I used Audyssey to configure everything. All channels sound great except during DVD/Blu-ray playback. During these playbacks, the center channel sounds rather muffled.

Any help is appreciated.
post #4346 of 20190
[quote]I Have the capability of doing this myself (via SVHS) although I don't normally use it. The HDMI stuff will NOT display on the SVHS display but the GUI should. When the HDMI output is hooked to the projector the GUI displays there. When I disconnected the HDMI output the GUI switched to the SVHS. It apparently will not display on both at the same time mainly because the HDMI takes over completely from the other outputs. (It will display simultaneously on Component and SVHS when HDMI is not active.) I believe that if the projector is off it is the same as disconnecting the HDMI but this may depend on the particular projector and I couldn't test it right now..[quote]

I was afraid of that. It seems that I'll have to change the way I do things. I really hate to change a system that works so well.

Thanks for the reply,
Greg
post #4347 of 20190
If I hit Mute, then hit volume up the sound comes back on but muste stays on my screen?

Anyone else see this strange feature?
post #4348 of 20190
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtxbass1 View Post

I'm hoping someone can help me with these two problems I'm having.

1. I have a Samsung LN4665F 46" 1080P television. When I hook the TV up to the denon 3808 through HDMI in, I get no television sound coming from my surround system. The Samsung TV says there are no HDMI devices connected. Hooking up my PS3 through the Denon, then out to the Samsung, works fine (however I can only have audio from the surround system, and not the TV at the same time). Is there a way to hook my TV up to the Denon so I can have the television audio come out through the receiver?

2. Is there a way to boost the center channel up any? I'm having some issues where my center channel is sounding extremely muddy. I used Audyssey to configure everything. All channels sound great except during DVD/Blu-ray playback. During these playbacks, the center channel sounds rather muffled.

Any help is appreciated.

MXT Bass,

When connected via HDMI, I believe the Dennon allows you to send audio to the TV if you select TV vs. amp in the menus. But then you'll have no audio in your surround setup. To the best of my knowledge, it's an either/or proposition. Perhaps you can use one of the other audio outs and run to your TV. But HDMI is a no/go.
post #4349 of 20190
So I have had my 3808 for about a month and have some questions but I honestly haven't had much time to play with the receiver so I figured I 'd hold off. I do have questions about peoples experience with Audyssey. I know many people get weird settings for their setup but how does it sound? A lot of people just post that Audyssey set up their speaker distances way off but make no mention as to how it sounds. Audyssey didn't set my speaker distances the same even though I they are equal distances from the main position but one is near a wall and the other near a hallway. The sound coming out of my speakers is awesome though so I never bothered to change anything. Audyssey also set my surrounds to large even though they aren't but when I ran Auddysey they were on the floor against a wall. Again no complaints about the sound.

Rob
post #4350 of 20190
Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyboy View Post

MXT Bass,

When connected via HDMI, I believe the Dennon allows you to send audio to the TV if you select TV vs. amp in the menus. But then you'll have no audio in your surround setup. To the best of my knowledge, it's an either/or proposition. Perhaps you can use one of the other audio outs and run to your TV. But HDMI is a no/go.

Hi.

That appears to be correct. What I'm looking for is a way to hook the TV in to the receiver (through the HDMI in) and have the televisions audio come out through my surround setup.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Receivers, Amps, and Processors
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Receivers, Amps, and Processors › The "Official" Denon AVR-3808CI Thread