or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Home Entertainment & Theater Builder › Dedicated Theater Design & Construction › The RTROSE (take my sweet time) HT Construction Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The RTROSE (take my sweet time) HT Construction Thread - Page 54

post #1591 of 2097
Ignore these cretins about that center stand. A bit of WAF is always in order

But I love the looks of that speaker and am definitely jealous. Hmm, Indiana isn't that far from Milwaukee. Rose, look over there, it's Halley's Comet!

Gear mentioned in this thread:

post #1592 of 2097
Quote:
Originally Posted by tlogan6797 View Post

Good luck wading through that thread!

AMEN!!! That is the single most confusing and overwhelming thread on AVS. I avoid that thread like the plague............I will be with the others in the back of the room.
post #1593 of 2097
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndreasMergner View Post

Ha ha! Too funny.

Isn't most of the good info in the first post anyway?

Sadly, I've actually read the entire thread. Twice. Got to the point where I darn near understood it, or rather reconciled in my head what made sense to me, based on subjective culling of the wheat from the chaff. The thread has really gotten to be a mess at this point, and while I appreciate the injection of "science" - to a point - the majority of people looking for help are asking for a sip of water, and being met with a pair of firehoses.
post #1594 of 2097
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad Horstkotte View Post

Sadly, I've actually read the entire thread. Twice. Got to the point where I darn near understood it, or rather reconciled in my head what made sense to me, based on subjective culling of the wheat from the chaff. The thread has really gotten to be a mess at this point, and while I appreciate the injection of "science" - to a point - the majority of people looking for help are asking for a sip of water, and being met with a pair of firehoses.

I wouldn't mind so much if it would just stay there, but every newbie who posts a question on adding a 2" accoustical panel seems to get a blast from the same hose these days.
post #1595 of 2097
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad Horstkotte View Post

.....and being met with a pair of firehoses.

I think we all know which two are the "hoses"



EDIT:
It's a bit unfortunate that you can't get general advice based on the constraints you give. Typically, a person isn't interested in giving up 16" out of their room, so most people want to know, "what's the best I can do if I want to give up 4", or 6", etc." Obviously this can be done as we've seen lots of professional builds that have done it.

Anyway, I'll get off my soapbox and let RT have the fun for now

I'm really digging the center channel, BTW! If it sounds as good as I think it looks, you are in great shape my friend!
post #1596 of 2097
JPA, I couldnt agree more. This ^ is one of the main reasons I hate visiting that thread. I know next to nothing in regards acoustical treatments and if I even log in to that thread (without asking a question)I will be attacked for not knowing the correct answer or not wanting to take the time to "read" all 25k pages. I am of the opinion that each room is different and each owner is different in what they are willing to give up to increase the sound quality even just a little. To me and my ignorant ears a good home theater system sounds pretty solid in a plain room with no treatments whatsoever so adding a few panels here or there would (to me) make a world of difference even if they arent in the "perfect" location or of the "perfect" thickness. I feel that every little bit helps and if you cant afford to give up the space to do 4" insulation with a 4" air gap behind it for a total of 8" off each wall then do what you can within the constraints of your room and be happy with it. In my space I have 2" Roxul rockboard on the front wall behind my fronts and some traps in spots in my space but I made sure they "fit" within the design of my space. I am limited with my width, my depth and my height so I have to make sacrifices all over the place. And to me (so far)it sounds pretty good (the room is unfinished). I have several acoustic panels made up and ready to hang some 2" and some not as its a matter of physical limitations as well. Anyway good luck RT and enjoy the "acoustic master thread" LOL
post #1597 of 2097
Also, remember there is no "perfect" room. A lot of it has to do with personal preference.

If you have 4" of depth to use, your best performance is 4" of material. If you can only afford 2" of material than that is the best bang for the buck....but remember that 2" of real estate "costs" also, so I would go with 4" of material. You can just use regular fluffy FG insulation when you start going over 2" of material and it will absorb as well or better (just look at the absorption charts.)

Start off with first reflection points and bass traps.
post #1598 of 2097
Thread Starter 
I knew going in that my room was not perfect, and that I built my room to the best of my abilities and budget at the time (then and now) I was limited as all of you by what I had to work with. I would have done many things differently had I truly had a blank slate and all of my wish list fulfilled.

I'm with you Steve, I might be a audio neanderthal because I think that with what I have my setup sounds pretty darn good. Having just been in KNKKNK's theater that is fully acoustically treated, I now know there is a huge difference. Can I do what he has done. Nope. If I was to do it all over again and had the option to do so would I maybe, I would have to think about it as it adds cost and time. Shoot look how long it has taken me to get to where I am now and I consider my build pretty "simple" by most standards. Having said that if I can do some things add some panels and make it better why not do that and take advantage of it.

I will say that HopefulFred responded to my post and handled me with "Kid gloves" so it was not as bad as I thought it would be or could have been so that was a pleasant surprise. Gave me some food for thought.

Regards,

RTROSE
post #1599 of 2097
A very nice theater you've made, indeed.

I had not heard of Ascend speakers until reading through some of your thread. I then went and investigated their website.

Have you put your LCR through their paces yet? How do they sound? I couldn't for the life of me find a center speaker that matched your photo. What's the model of that speaker?

Again, nice theater, and I like the two-tone walls!
post #1600 of 2097
Quote:
Originally Posted by RTROSE View Post

I knew going in that my room was not perfect, and that I built my room to the best of my abilities and budget at the time (then and now) I was limited as all of you by what I had to work with. I would have done many things differently had I truly had a blank slate and all of my wish list fulfilled.

I'm with you Steve, I might be a audio neanderthal because I think that with what I have my setup sounds pretty darn good. Having just been in KNKKNK's theater that is fully acoustically treated, I now know there is a huge difference. Can I do what he has done. Nope. If I was to do it all over again and had the option to do so would I maybe, I would have to think about it as it adds cost and time. Shoot look how long it has taken me to get to where I am now and I consider my build pretty "simple" by most standards. Having said that if I can do some things add some panels and make it better why not do that and take advantage of it.

I will say that HopefulFred responded to my post and handled me with "Kid gloves" so it was not as bad as I thought it would be or could have been so that was a pleasant surprise. Gave me some food for thought.

Regards,

RTROSE

Hi RT,

Looks like your asking all the right questions. The acoustics will boil down to two options for yourself:

- Pick low hanging fruit by treating primary reflection points. This is a blind application but normally yields considerable gains without significant detriment.

- Get some measurement gear and invest considerable time learning Basic acoustics and surgically place treatments based on your room measurements.

Generalizations: Most rooms benefit from all the bass trapping you can aesthetically afford. Most rooms benefit from blind treatment of primary reflection points. Dont blindly build a "padded room."
post #1601 of 2097
Quote:
Originally Posted by NicksHitachi View Post

Hi RT,

Generalizations: Most rooms benefit from all the bass trapping you can aesthetically afford. Most rooms benefit from blind treatment of primary reflection points. Dont blindly build a "padded room."

Not trying to hijack his thread, but I am in a similar situation.

How does a NOVICE determine WHERE to put the bass traps and HOW/WHERE to treat the primary reflection points?
post #1602 of 2097
Quote:
Originally Posted by toofast68 View Post


Not trying to hijack his thread, but I am in a similar situation.

How does a NOVICE determine WHERE to put the bass traps and HOW/WHERE to treat the primary reflection points?

RT,

Pop Quiz!
post #1603 of 2097
^ lol
post #1604 of 2097
Quote:
Originally Posted by toofast68 View Post

Not trying to hijack his thread, but I am in a similar situation.

How does a NOVICE determine WHERE to put the bass traps and HOW/WHERE to treat the primary reflection points?

I am learning this too and found this online
http://www.acousticgeometry.com/room...ter_guide.html
post #1605 of 2097
Unless there's some secret sauce under the curves, those aren't diffusors, they're deflectors.
post #1606 of 2097
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by NicksHitachi View Post

RT,

Pop Quiz!


Shoot the hostage!

Quote:


Not trying to hijack his thread, but I am in a similar situation.

How does a NOVICE determine WHERE to put the bass traps and HOW/WHERE to treat the primary reflection points?

Oh, well that's easy, hire a professional and have them tell you where to put all of the stuff.

No really, from my limited understanding bass trapping is this. Make big superchuks (out of dark matter, fiberglass, and a little voo doo magic) cover them with some acoustically transparent fabric (or hide them behind the screen wall) and put them in the corners, soffits, rear corners, risers, and what not.

The first reflection points can be determined (as I understand it) by sophisticated measuring programs, and equipment. Or for the audio neanderthal, you can place a mirror on the wall and if you can see the speaker in the mirror then that is a good indication that there is a reflection point there for that seating position. Sound waves travel like light waves (in a straight line) just not as fast of course. so this is a good poor mans way to determine reflection points.

Ok, that's the limit of my understanding at this point. I'm learning too ya know.

Regards,

RTROSE
post #1607 of 2097
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrak76 View Post

A very nice theater you've made, indeed.

I had not heard of Ascend speakers until reading through some of your thread. I then went and investigated their website.

Have you put your LCR through their paces yet? How do they sound? I couldn't for the life of me find a center speaker that matched your photo. What's the model of that speaker?

Again, nice theater, and I like the two-tone walls!


Thanks,

Yes my Ascends rock like you can't believe, very very happy with how they perform and sound. They have not updated their website with the center yet. You have to go to the order page or the Ascend forum page to get additional information on the center.

The model is the SRTC 1 or the "code name" is the Horizon. Very seamless transition between the towers and the center they work very very well together.

Thanks for the compliment on the theater, it sure has been a labor of love. I actually stole my design colors from a couple of forum members one of which is bigmouthinDC.

Regards,

RTROSE
post #1608 of 2097
Quote:
Originally Posted by toofast68 View Post

Not trying to hijack his thread, but I am in a similar situation.

How does a NOVICE determine WHERE to put the bass traps and HOW/WHERE to treat the primary reflection points?

He hires a pro like bpape or Dennis Erskine, to name a two....
post #1609 of 2097
RT - You're killing us, brotha!!!! I thought you would have already had all those 2x10s bolted together by now and sitting ready for carpet! LOL!
post #1610 of 2097
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMcG View Post

RT - You're killing us, brotha!!!! I thought you would have already had all those 2x10s bolted together by now and sitting ready for carpet! LOL!

Well without delving into too much family drama, I have had "issues" the past couple of weekends that have sidelined my good riser building intentions. I too am getting impatient as this is something that even I could knock out pretty quickly.

I guess it has taken me almost five years to get here so a few more days waiting for the riser to take shape won't kill me. At least I hope it won't.

Regards,

RTROSE
post #1611 of 2097
Thread Starter 
Alright,

No riser construction (yet), but a couple of other small happenings going on. My Omnimounts finally showed up so I was able to get the rest of my surround speakers up where they belong. They look much bigger up on the wall than they do sitting on the floor.






Oh, and just for you J_P_A here is the start of my next little project.



After a little time cutting sanding and test fitting.



Thought it was about time to replace the "girly" speaker stand with something more fitting for a "man cave". Although the paisley print was growing on me, that is what scared me actually.

Regards,

RTROSE
post #1612 of 2097
Nothing wrong with being in touch with your feminine side RT. Apparently the ladies like that. I wouldn't know... I still smother myself in old spice aftershave and kill my own dinner.
post #1613 of 2097
Quote:
Originally Posted by RTROSE View Post

Alright,

No riser construction (yet), but a couple of other small happenings going on. My Omnimounts finally showed up so I was able to get the rest of my surround speakers up where they belong. They look much bigger up on the wall than they do sitting on the floor.

Oh, and just for you J_P_A here is the start of my next little project.

After a little time cutting sanding and test fitting.

Thought it was about time to replace the "girly" speaker stand with something more fitting for a "man cave". Although the paisley print was growing on me, that is what scared me actually.

Regards,

RTROSE

Nice stand! It reminds me of the Lovan stands I used to sell.
post #1614 of 2097
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dingaling2004 View Post

Nothing wrong with being in touch with your feminine side RT. Apparently the ladies like that. I wouldn't know... I still smother myself in old spice aftershave and kill my own dinner.

LOL, that's funny. I don't know about the ladies being impressed with my feminine side, I know it does not impress Mrs. RTROSE much, but that's ok with me. Speaking of Old Spice I think this new Axe like of deodorants and body washes is the new generations Old Spice. My 14 year old and his buddies wear that stuff and when they are all together there is not a girl around that would go within 20 feet of them. Just a little overpowering.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdanforth View Post

Nice stand! It reminds me of the Lovan stands I used to sell.

Thanks. I'm trying to do something that looks good, but is not complicated to build. I have to admit that finish work is not my forte, so I have to take a little extra time to make sure it all looks good. This and this was my inspiration. Oh, and I hope that being reminded of the Lovan stands is a good thing.

Regards,

RTROSE
post #1615 of 2097
NICE! A+ on the stand. I guess you could always paint it paisley if you really do miss the old stand. Keep the pictures coming, you don't want the natives getting restless.

BTW, if I had a feminine side, I'd probably never leave the house
post #1616 of 2097
Quote:
Originally Posted by RTROSE View Post

Thanks. I'm trying to do something that looks good, but is not complicated to build. I have to admit that finish work is not my forte, so I have to take a little extra time to make sure it all looks good. This and this was my inspiration. Oh, and I hope that being reminded of the Lovan stands is a good thing.

It's a good thing. I think Lovan makes very handsome racks and stands.

Edit: did you use oak dowelling for the construction and ply on top? Hit me with finishing questions if you have any.

Edit2: duh.... Aspen tops. Nice! Should stain well if that's what you're after.
post #1617 of 2097
Quote:
Originally Posted by RTROSE View Post

Speaking of Old Spice I think this new Axe like of deodorants and body washes is the new generations Old Spice. My 14 year old and his buddies wear that stuff and when they are all together there is not a girl around that would go within 20 feet of them. Just a little overpowering.

Huh that's weird. The commercials make it seem like all of the ladies won't be able to get enough of you.

Great work on the stand! I'm going to miss the paisley though.
post #1618 of 2097
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdanforth View Post

It's a good thing. I think Lovan makes very handsome racks and stands.

Edit: did you use oak dowelling for the construction and ply on top? Hit me with finishing questions if you have any.

Edit2: duh.... Aspen tops. Nice! Should stain well if that's what you're after.

I first thought of stain as that is what I did for my rack and some of the other wood work in the room. Then I switched to a low sheen textured paint. I have one coat of that on ATM. The Jury is still out so far, will give it a second light coat an see how it goes. I would have gone Oak if I was going to stain as that is what all the other wood I have stained is. I just like the look of stained Oak. Simple and classy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaustin View Post

Huh that's weird. The commercials make it seem like all of the ladies won't be able to get enough of you.

Great work on the stand! I'm going to miss the paisley though.


Yup, obviously the commercials are SLIGHTLY misleading. I know the only woman I'm interested in is not so impressed with the new trend, or Old Spice for that matter. After 20+ years of marriage I'm still trying to find that elusive product that makes ME IRRESISTIBLE! I should qualify that with an inexpensive product.

FWIW I am finally getting some of my own medicine though. Forever and a day now Mrs RTROSE has heard me go on and on about all things basement and HT, blah, blah, blah............She is now on the hunt for a new vehicle and for about the past month she has been going on and on about cars. Now that might seem like an answer to a mans dream, however we are not talking Porsche, Lotus, Ferrari, Lamborghini, Corvette, or even Camaro, and Mustang. Nope "WE" are looking squarely at the midsize segment. I must qualify that LOOKING/Test driving cars is a lot of fun, but actually working with a salesman and going through all of the other BS is maddening. To date I think we have looked at/test driven the following..........Fusion, Passat, Sonata, 200, Charger, Avenger, Accord, Charger, Malibu, Impala, Cruze, Taurus, Altima, and Camry. The front runners now are the Fusion, Altima, and the Camry. Fun stuff!
post #1619 of 2097
Quote:
Originally Posted by RTROSE View Post


I must qualify that LOOKING/Test driving cars is a lot of fun, but actually working with a salesman and going through all of the other BS is maddening.

Once you know which one you want, send email to all the dealerships in 50 mile radius with clear info on year, model, color, and purchase date...ask them OTD price they will be willing to offer. Keep the email short and clear.

I found this most effective way to deal with madness of sales people on car lot. And found myself average 7% reduced price for total of 3 cars purchased by my family in last three years then best offered in person.
post #1620 of 2097
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by drriddhish View Post

Once you know which one you want, send email to all the dealerships in 50 mile radius with clear info on year, model, color, and purchase date...ask them OTD price they will be willing to offer. Keep the email short and clear.

I found this most effective way to deal with madness of sales people on car lot. And found myself average 7% reduced price for total of 3 cars purchased by my family in last three years then best offered in person.


Thanks,

That is an excellent idea. Sad to say that the easiest auto purchase we ever made was an online deal where we worked with a dealer in St. Louis. Saved about four grand on the vehicle. No one around here could touch the deal. Drove to St. Louis, drove the car, signed the paperwork, and DONE! Drove back home in our new to us Acadia.

Regards,

RTROSE
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home

Gear mentioned in this thread:

AVS › AVS Forum › Home Entertainment & Theater Builder › Dedicated Theater Design & Construction › The RTROSE (take my sweet time) HT Construction Thread