or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Home Entertainment & Theater Builder › Dedicated Theater Design & Construction › The RTROSE (take my sweet time) HT Construction Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The RTROSE (take my sweet time) HT Construction Thread - Page 7

post #181 of 2094
Post 1000 congrats! I can't believe I'm quickly approaching 2000.

If I understand it correctly it seems like you will be pulling the speaker wire to the face of the soffit/wall your showing on the picture there. I would suggest that once you have the location of the speaker down, definately put a 2x6 or wider piece of lumber, flat towards the sheetrock the width of the stud area. This way once you pull the wire thru you will have plenty of area to mount the speaker to, be it a screw, mount, or bracket.

Gear mentioned in this thread:

post #182 of 2094
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by oman321 View Post

Post 1000 congrats! I can't believe I'm quickly approaching 2000.

If I understand it correctly it seems like you will be pulling the speaker wire to the face of the soffit/wall your showing on the picture there. I would suggest that once you have the location of the speaker down, definately put a 2x6 or wider piece of lumber, flat towards the sheetrock the width of the stud area. This way once you pull the wire thru you will have plenty of area to mount the speaker to, be it a screw, mount, or bracket.

Actually the open area is the back of the area where I'm planning on mounting the speaker. The first two pictures shows the area were I need the speaker to go (basically on the header) I just included the other picture to show what was behind the header. I just need to decide if I want to drill through the header for the speaker wire or go through the ceiling like I had originally planned.

Yeah it is pretty cool that I have reached the 1000 milestone. 2000 here I come!

Regards,

RTROSE
post #183 of 2094
Ah, I see now. As long as you are certain that the speakers would not pose a problem there with the doors that your gonna put there (now or later in case of upgrades). Though I suppose the same could said of the speaker wire coming down from the ceiling.

IMO it would be a easier to hide the speaker wire coming from the header vs. the ceiling. Good luck.
post #184 of 2094
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by oman321 View Post

Ah, I see now. As long as you are certain that the speakers would not pose a problem there with the doors that your gonna put there (now or later in case of upgrades). Though I suppose the same could said of the speaker wire coming down from the ceiling.

IMO it would be a easier to hide the speaker wire coming from the header vs. the ceiling. Good luck.

I am actually leaning towards doing it that way but I just need to finalize the position of my side surround. I (like you) think it would actually be easier to conceal the wires through the header vs. the ceiling.

FWIW I am not planning on putting any doors in that opening. It will be open to the kitchenette so I don't think speaker interference will be a problem.

Regards,

RTROSE
post #185 of 2094
Thread Starter 
I have decided to just run the speaker cable through the header and just get rid of the LV boxes at those two locations.

No thanks to you Cathan and Docprego! Shame on you and the others for your lack of input especially after I was chastised for so long for not posting a photo of the aforementioned location.

There are several things in the works and some progress will be occurring in the next few weeks.

I have made an executive decision (ok the wife helped) and the workout room in its current location just is not going to be practical in it's current and proposed future location in the basement. We are going to move the equipment up to the spare bedroom where the boys hang out room is now. We are going to relabel the area and use it for additional table/seating space and future popcorn machine area. The area was just too small to be viable as a workout area. I guess this is one advantage to moving slowly, you can modify your plan without too much impact vs. at breakneck speed where you realize too late a mistake has been made.

Some other things in the works in the next few days, weeks, and months.

Estimate for plumbing the kitchenette area. First estimate there was almost 900.00 to run supplies, connect into the sewer and sump and pump to move the gray water to the sewer. I'm hoping this next estimate is closer to 400-500 dollars or maybe even cheaper due to this contractor working in PEX (sp?) and even though he is licensed bonded and insured he is taking this on as a side job for some extra money.

Contacting Dish and having them wire up the basement for HD and a third receiver.

Working out an estimate for insulation and I am going to contact a spray foam contractor to get an estimate for "spray foaming" the basement walls.

Working out a cost of doing a sub floor in the basement either Delta or dri-core and seeing if that fits financially into the build.

Having a HVAC contractor (or several) come in and doing an evaluation on what I need for the basement to provide ample heating and cooling. Special thanks to Cathan and his min-split install for providing me the direction/inspiration on getting this adequately covered and making sure my space is comfortable.

I have been "in negotiations" with a co-worker on buying his 40 ft tower and OTA antenna since he has gone with Dish. I have pestered him relentlessly for about 5 months now and finally convinced him to sell me his nearly new OTA setup lock stock and barrel for about an eighth of what it cost him new just a couple of years ago. I feel badly, but I'm getting over it!

Oh and I have also contacted a couple of drywallers who in the next couple of weeks will set up a time to come buy and give me some estimates for their work.

Finally things are starting to happen or at least moving that way.

Regards,

RTROSE
post #186 of 2094
More pics pls...
post #187 of 2094
All I see is words, words, and more words. What! There have to be close to a thousand of them on this page alone. And you know what is worth a thousand words? Yep, that's right. A picture!

Word.
post #188 of 2094
Quote:
Originally Posted by RTROSE View Post

The PVC piping is for my sump.

Hey RT, as you know Roger Miller lied when he said "It dont rain in Indianapolis in the Summer Time". You may want to consider wrapping your Sump line in pipe wrap before you drywall. Mine sweats like a one armed green glue spreader when the cold ground water gets flowing.
post #189 of 2094
Quote:
Originally Posted by RTROSE View Post

I have decided to just run the speaker cable through the header and just get rid of the LV boxes at those two locations.

No thanks to you Cathan and Docprego! Shame on you and the others for your lack of input especially after I was chastised for so long for not posting a photo of the aforementioned location.

There are several things in the works and some progress will be occurring in the next few weeks.

I have made an executive decision (ok the wife helped) and the workout room in its current location just is not going to be practical in it's current and proposed future location in the basement. We are going to move the equipment up to the spare bedroom where the boys hang out room is now. We are going to relabel the area and use it for additional table/seating space and future popcorn machine area. The area was just too small to be viable as a workout area. I guess this is one advantage to moving slowly, you can modify your plan without too much impact vs. at breakneck speed where you realize too late a mistake has been made.

Some other things in the works in the next few days, weeks, and months.

Estimate for plumbing the kitchenette area. First estimate there was almost 900.00 to run supplies, connect into the sewer and sump and pump to move the gray water to the sewer. I'm hoping this next estimate is closer to 400-500 dollars or maybe even cheaper due to this contractor working in PEX (sp?) and even though he is licensed bonded and insured he is taking this on as a side job for some extra money.

Contacting Dish and having them wire up the basement for HD and a third receiver.

Working out an estimate for insulation and I am going to contact a spray foam contractor to get an estimate for "spray foaming" the basement walls.

Working out a cost of doing a sub floor in the basement either Delta or dri-core and seeing if that fits financially into the build.

Having a HVAC contractor (or several) come in and doing an evaluation on what I need for the basement to provide ample heating and cooling. Special thanks to Cathan and his min-split install for providing me the direction/inspiration on getting this adequately covered and making sure my space is comfortable.

I have been "in negotiations" with a co-worker on buying his 40 ft tower and OTA antenna since he has gone with Dish. I have pestered him relentlessly for about 5 months now and finally convinced him to sell me his nearly new OTA setup lock stock and barrel for about an eighth of what it cost him new just a couple of years ago. I feel badly, but I'm getting over it!

Oh and I have also contacted a couple of drywallers who in the next couple of weeks will set up a time to come buy and give me some estimates for their work.

Finally things are starting to happen or at least moving that way.

Regards,

RTROSE

At what point did you rename this "The RTROSE (contract everything out) HT Construction Thread"?
post #190 of 2094
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Naarmraifo View Post

At what point did you rename this "The RTROSE (contract everything out) HT Construction Thread"?

HA!!

You gave me quite a chuckle! I always knew I would be contracting the drywall and the flooring/carpet. I pitched in and did the grunt work on the electrical and all the framing and so far the running of cables.

It was actually Cathan who made me start to ponder my HVAC requirements and I know that I'm out of my legue regardining all of the requirements for a properly loaded HVAC system.

I'm not afraid of plumming have done many small jobs around the house but the thought of cutting in and joining up to the sewer is just too much for my DIY skills plus I want to be without water for hours not days!

The spray insulation is on sort of a whim, I want to see how much difference in cost it is to the standard pink stuff plus it is much quicker to apply. I already have a suspicion it will be too expensive to justify its use in my limited budget.

I will do the dri-core or delta floor myself. It looks like a no brainer to me. For around a grand I think it is money well spent and will add a lot to the "feel" of the basement.

Rest easy my friend......I haven't completly thrown in the DIY towel....yet!

Regards,

RTROSE
post #191 of 2094
Thread Starter 
I had my first of four HVAC contractors come by this evening. I have another one coming by tomorrow and two on Friday.

I did get some good news from the first HVAC contractor and that is even though my furnace is just "plain jane" and entry level run of the mill standard general contractor grade nothing fancy furnace is up to the task of handling the basement load as well as the rest of the house.

I am expecting to get the estimate from him tomorrow.

I made contact with one contractor who basically informed me my job was just too small for him to come out to give me an estimate and then quoted me $250 for him to do the job with out even looking at the job. One would think that even if it is a small job in the general economy one would want to keep your people busy even if it is a small job.

I also will have the plumbing guru come by on Thursday for his estimate. Things are a cooking at the RTROSE theater build.

Regards,

RTROSE
post #192 of 2094
Quote:
Originally Posted by Staffy View Post

More pics pls...

Yea what he said!
post #193 of 2094
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffC View Post

Yea what he said!

I'll post some pics when there is something new to show you guys. That is unless there is something specific you all want me to show you.

I did have an unexpected "surprise" two weeks ago. We were doing some spring cleaning and when I backed our 01 Montana out of the garage I was greeted with a two foot puddle of coolant under the van. I got an estimate to fix all that was wrong and it was going to be in the "neighborhood" of 2300 dollars. After sinking that much and more about a year and three months ago I thought it foolish to sink that kind of money into a nine year old van with 120,000 miles. Soooo my family went from this



to this




The photos are representative of both vehicles but I don't have actual pictures of either vehicle. Thanks Carmax for the images. 8-)

The Chrysler 300 is a very nice ride. I'm very happy with it as I hated the van with a passion. Granted the 300 is not as fine as Logan's Cat, I'm still very pleased with the car.

Sorry totally off topic, but you guys wanted pics so there you go!

Regards,

RTROSE
post #194 of 2094
I vote number 2. Like the bar it does not make it look so much like a kitchen. Add a beer tap and you are set.
post #195 of 2094
I was a "Chrysler man" for a long time. First car ever was '68 Dodge Cornet 440 (but only had the 360 - go figure). That only lasted a short while and then I got my Dad's hand-me-down 1970 Plymouth Fury III when he drove a '73 Chrylser Newport off the showroom floor. Fury III was gray, 4-door. It was what the NJ State Police wer using as unmarks. I was in the High School band and our hats looked like police hats. If I put my hat on the dash people used to move over and slow down. The absolute BEST part of that car was that the back seat was 5 feet wide. And so was the front bench seat. In college I used to carry the band's 5 foot column speakers in the back seat....just lay 'em down and close the doors! If you put the front bench back all the way, there was a TON of room, for, well,...you know...going to the drive-in.

Then I got a 74 Cordoba (yes, WITH Corinthian leather and a wider track).

I was considering a 300 when I first started looking a couple of months ago. Always wanted that Jag, though, and this one kind of fell into my lap.

Good luck with it! Not that it should keep you from theater building or anything.
post #196 of 2094
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by tlogan6797 View Post

I was a "Chrysler man" for a long time. That only lasted a short while and then I got my Dad's hand-me-down 1970 Plymouth Fury III.....In college I used to carry the band's 5 foot column speakers in the back seat....just lay 'em down and close the doors! If you put the front bench back all the way, there was a TON of room, for, well,...you know...going to the drive-in.

I was considering a 300 when I first started looking a couple of months ago. Always wanted that Jag, though, and this one kind of fell into my lap.

Good luck with it! Not that it should keep you from theater building or anything.

Well what could be better than a car to carry your band's speakers and going to the drive-in to er ah watch a movie?

My wife actually wanted an Altima however she was really impressed with the 300 and it was love at first drive. The only other time that happened was with me!

I worked at one time for a gentleman who had a Jag and they are very nice vehicles. This was one of many he had owned throughout the years. He even stayed with them when there were many and frequent mechanical issues (80's) maybe?

Nope the car won't keep me from the theater and I will post some pics of my progress (eventually).

On the estimate front I now have two of the four for the HVAC estimates and both of my estimates for the plumbing work.

I'll post all the details of each one when I have them all.

Regards,

RTROSE
post #197 of 2094
Thread Starter 
Hey all,

Since I'm spending time here not really doing anything constructive on my CONSTRUCTION thread I'd thought I'd waste some more time conducting a poll.

Go to my poll thread vote and post if you feel compelled to do so.

I promise there will be more pics on the way SOON!

Regards,

RTROSE
post #198 of 2094
Thread Starter 
Today I finished obtaining my HVAC estimates, my plumber did just enough rough in so I can drywall and I got an estimate on the spay foam insulation.

First off the HVAC estimates. Really hoping for these to be a grand or lots less and really hoping that my system was up to the task without an entire system overhaul.

Company one. Called to schedule an estimate was told over the phone I would need three supplies, which would cost 250 bucks. I asked him if he was sure he did not need to see the space. He said (I'm paraphrasing here) basically my job was too small and it really was not necessary or cost effective to do a "free" estimate, but would be willing to do the work for said amount just let him know. Yeah ok, don't hold your breath.

Company two. Very pleasant gentleman who spent quite a bit of time listening to me and really trying to give me several options of what could be done to fit into my budget. Option one run total of five new supplies and two returns tying into the existing run blowing from the center of the room sideways and outwards. Option two five supplies two returns using new supplies running to the outside wall blowing down.

Option one $440.00. Option two $665.00.

Company three. Another very informative gentleman (and owner of the local company) who understands a little about HT and that a PJ can potentially put out a lot of heat. He took the time to ask a lot of questions about the HVAC of my entire house. Looked over my existing equipment reassured me that my furnace was up to the task and pointed out that he could make the existing furnace work more efficiently by making some minor ie: cheep ducting changes and help with some of my heating issues on the main level and take care of the basement as well. His solution do the modifications to the existing duct work, and add four supplies and two returns. He also explained that my furnace was being choked off in the return air department and the two additional returns would help this problem as well. The supplies would go to the out side walls blow down and be drawn into the returns place near the floor level. He also pointed out that he could place the returns on the sides of the equipment area due the theater and the noise that can come from a return. At least he was thinking of the theater aspect regarding what I wanted.

His estimate $700.00

Company four. Basically the same set up with four supplies two returns plus he was concerned about the furnace combustion air and wanted to put in a grate for the furnace in the wall in the theater room for combustion air intake. He also basically wanted or planned on taking the return air from the back side of the basement from two sides of the kids area without any of the return coming from the theater side of the build and this also included some fancy ducting around and under the stairs and the water softener.

His estimate was $765.00 and when he asked about the other bids and I responded he then without blinking an eye and went to $715.00. The only thing that bothered me about this guy was his over selling and subtle bashing of other companies without actually naming them.

Company five. This gentleman is in another league altogether. He did listen to me and was very attentive. He also seemed to know some basics about a HT and the possible heating issues with a projector. He also had two different options. Option one was to redo the lower ducts and then run the five new supplies and the two returns, similar to the other guys. Option two was to completely redo the lower ducts, build additional soffits and run two ducts one for the basement and one for the main level of the house and put dampers with independent thermostats turning my system into a two zone setup. If I would have built this house from the start I would have set it up this way from the start with each level being its own zone. Both of the options required me to pull out previously built soffits and replace with a larger one to accommodate the new/revamped ducting.

Option one was $2000.00. Option two $4200.00.

Well after careful consideration I'm pretty sure I have decided which one I'm going to go with, but I would like to hear all of your opinions to see if I am thinking on the right track or totally off track.

Anxiously awaiting all of your thoughts opinions.

Regards,

RTROSE
post #199 of 2094
#3 for me.
post #200 of 2094
I tend to agree with Michael, but it's really difficult without meeting each person. What does your gut tell you about them?

Also, don't forget to do your research about their companies. Heck, maybe you can ask Biggy to dig up some dirt on them.

CJ
post #201 of 2094
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by carboranadum View Post

I tend to agree with Michael, but it's really difficult without meeting each person. What does your gut tell you about them?

Also, don't forget to do your research about their companies. Heck, maybe you can ask Biggy to dig up some dirt on them.

CJ

Guys thank for the input. As I stated I pretty much have made up my mind on which one I'm going with. Just seeing if I'm thinking the same as all of you here. I agree with you that meeting with them in person is the best and would lend a lot on the opinion and decision.

Of course it does help that I have had previous experience with two of the companies I obtained estimates from.

I'm still waiting on my spray foam insulation estimate in email form. Fingers crossed that it is budget friendly as I am leaning heavily in that direction.

Regards,

RTROSE
post #202 of 2094
Thread Starter 
I got my estimate for the spray foam application today. While it is more than what I wanted it is about what I expected. For the ceiling, walls, and the "boxes" around the perimeter of the basement the cost will be roughly 3k. I was hoping it would be closer to 2k but I decided if I was going to do the spray foam I would just go and do it all. This added about 700 to the estimate. Even though it is 3k I am still leaning heavily in that direction as I think for my application it is the best option and at the speed I do things the spray will go up in two days vs. several weeks for me to get my rear in gear.

I also had my drywall guy come today and he will be shooting me an estimate in the next couple of days. I'm hoping that estimate will be more in line with what I'm thinking. So far I've been off even though I have been trying to estimate high.

At least I'm saving half of my original estimate for the plumbing going from 800 to 400 dollars. Got to get savings where I can.

In the HVAC world I am going with company #3. I feel really comfortable with the company and the owner. This is one of the companies I have had some experience with and I also found out he has done some work for my parents and saved them several thousand dollars on a new furnace. I'll be calling them here in the next few days to schedule the work.

Regards,

RTROSE
post #203 of 2094
Company 3, or Company 2 is my best guess.
post #204 of 2094
RT, I would save the money and put regular insulation up. I am getting Rockwool for my HT and ceilings in the entire basement for $350. Plus another $300 for R-13 in all my walls, interior/exterior. Just my 2 cents.
post #205 of 2094
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dseal View Post

RT, I would save the money and put regular insulation up. I am getting Rockwool for my HT and ceilings in the entire basement for $350. Plus another $300 for R-13 in all my walls, interior/exterior. Just my 2 cents.

I hear ya. This is the one "expense" I'm really wrestling with. Most of the other items on my punch list I pretty much know what I'm willing to spend or whether or not the cost is worth it to me.

The funny thing is my wife is actually the one "pushing/encouraging" me to go with the foam, and she is usually the one that is the most worried about the cash outlay. The one thing I know is that if the basement is not comfortable for my wife she won't utilize the space. Now as wonderful as that may sound for a wife to stay out of the man cave and as much as I claim the basement as "MY SPACE" I would like for her to share in the occasional movie with me and be comfortable.

We will see how all of this pans out. Gee, now if I could only come up with an extra 3k. Anyone know of any lucky lotto numbers?

Regards,

RTROSE
post #206 of 2094
Since I had my basement walls framed and the shower installed by the original (mistake) I went with the spray foam in the majority of the basement. The stuff is awesome. Fills every nook and crany. Because of lousy framing, I tore down what they did in the theater area and started from scratch. On the exterior concrete walls I went with 1.5" foam board glued to the concrete and then built and insulated 2x4 walls inside them.

The rim joist area is one of the major areas of heat loss for a home. When the house was built, I just stuffed them with regular insulation but later found that it was a good place to trap moisture. I tore it all out and had the spray foam in the rim joist area even in the theater.

Here is a Link to the potential problems I would have had if I left normal insulation in place.

Hey wait... Until I see some pictures in here, I still believe you live in a box down by the river. Who needs HVAC and insulation in a cardboard box?
post #207 of 2094
Thread Starter 
Drew,

You are a doubting Thomas for sure, but I must admit you found me out. After all of this time here posting I will come clean. Here is a picture of my house.




As you can clearly see it is a cardboard house but it should also be obvious that I do have some HVAC concerns to deal with. Luckily my HVAC guys are coming on Monday to fix those issues.

To make you even happier Drew I'll take before and after shots of the work so you won't doubt me anymore.

Regards,

RTROSE
post #208 of 2094
Thread Starter 
Well I can finally post some pics of progress in the basement.

My HVAC company guy showed up about 9 this am took a look around and made a list of what he needed to do the install. About a half hour later he shows back up and gets to work. He worked from about 9:30-45 until about 2:10, left to go get a couple of items from the shop and was back and done about 2:45. He was the only one that worked on the project. Seemed to work quietly and efficiently and when the boss man stopped in to check his progress and lend a hand he was happy that he was almost done. I only have one issue with the install but I did not catch it until he left and after I signed off on the work. It is not really a big deal, it was completely my fault, and I believe I can fix it without much hassle.

I ended up with four supplies, two returns, and reworked duct work which with preliminary testing seems to have evened out the flow to the main floor somewhat. Time will tell.

Here are some shots of the HVAC.

Before



After



Before



After



Before



After



Here is where the problem is. I should have instructed them to mount it vertically instead of horizontally. The way it is now will interfere with the base cabinets of the kitchenette. The first time I looked at it I spaced it and did not realize what the problem would be until I took the after pictures. Should be an easy fix, I may even call them and see if they could fix it. I am going to have to run some 2x4's in there for a mounting surface before they do that though.

Now I'm just waiting on my drywall estimates. Got one in so far and it was sticker shock so we will see what else develops.

Regards,

RTROSE

Drew I hope you are somewhat happy now.
post #209 of 2094
Quote:
Originally Posted by RTROSE View Post

Drew I hope you are somewhat happy now.

Never!!!

Ok, so you actually have a house that isn't made of cardboard.

So where is the floor plan that should be updated into post 1 of this thread. The lack of pictures makes it hard enought to follow with having to guess at the floor plan.

What room is the return in? If you theater, it seem you might get a lot of HVAC noise out of it. That is a very short run that is hooked directly into the furnace.
post #210 of 2094
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by RPh Drew View Post

Never!!!

Ok, so you actually have a house that isn't made of cardboard.

So where is the floor plan that should be updated into post 1 of this thread. The lack of pictures makes it hard enought to follow with having to guess at the floor plan.

What room is the return in? If you theater, it seem you might get a lot of HVAC noise out of it. That is a very short run that is hooked directly into the furnace.

Sheesh! I was hoping that you would be appeased somewhat but I guess I underestimated your demands.

I don't think I ever got around to doing an actual floor plan, however I think I could whip one up for you and the rest of the AVS'ers here with out much problem.

The return is not directly vented to the Theater room and I have been running it (testing it) and there really is not much noise that comes from the returns. My sump pumps are a lot louder than the furnace return noise.

I'll try harder in the future to please you Drew.

Regards,

RTROSE
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home

Gear mentioned in this thread:

AVS › AVS Forum › Home Entertainment & Theater Builder › Dedicated Theater Design & Construction › The RTROSE (take my sweet time) HT Construction Thread